Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Bryan Singer to Direct and Produce Battlestar Galactica movie but Dump the Cast.

Is this a Good Idea.

JohnnyDrama8

[1]Aug 16, 2009
    • level: 10

Bryan Singer to Direct and Produce Battlestar Galactica movie but Dump the Cast and make another reimagination.

"Universal Pictures has set Bryan Singer (Superman Returns) to direct and produce a feature version of "Battlestar Galactica," which appears to be on a fast track. Sources said that Singer could be looking at a $10 million paycheck.

Singer has long been intrigued with "Battlestar Galactica" and flirted with relaunching it into a TV series right after he directed the original "X-Men." Some believe that 9/11 played a role in the destruction of the plan.

Here is what he said back in 2001: "The lesson I learned on 'X-Men' is to have a healthy respect for the fan base of sci-fi fantasy franchises, and I'm confident that the `Galactica' brand is a sleeping giant. It was a show I watched during its initial run, from the pilot to the final episode. The essence and the brand name is quite potent in a climate where there's a great deficit of sci-fi programming."

The new movie is said to be a "complete re-imagination" of the show. "

Source: Variety

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

my1sunshine

[2]Aug 16, 2009
    • level: 12

If they wanna dig their own grave.. it seems they got the mind and the tools for it. It will FAIL.

The re-imagaining has been D-U-N .. done. That's it. Nobody could do it better, and it's idiocy to even consider it.

If they wanna do a continuation of the original, with Hatch writing the screenplay.. that's another story.

But a re-make of something that's already been re-made?

Can you say... "complete and utter waste of time and money?"

I knew that you could.

Edited on 08/16/2009 12:57pm

goodridd

[3]Aug 17, 2009
    • level: 17
    This is mind boggling.

zzbeach

[4]Aug 27, 2009
    • level: 12
    I am totally surprised. I thought the announcement of Glen Larson to produce a movie was just a ploy to get more publicity for the BSG finale.

krizkraz

[5]Aug 30, 2009
    • level: 7
    Why a new cast for the final movie? Just keep the current cast, what's left of it anyway! Don't even touch them!

bendylegsnick

[6]Sep 1, 2009
    • level: 15
    It will epically fail, as there is no way it can be better than the recent tv series.

Finalsequel

[7]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 30
    bendylegsnick wrote:
    It will epically fail, as there is no way it can be better than the recent tv series.

Exactly. This movie has fail written all over it.

123home123

[8]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 55
    Yeah, it doesn't really make any sense. (Yes, your dear ol' editor has returned to the forum, but I was busy... with my first TRIATHLON! More about that later, but I did finish.)

Singer wants to "re-imagine" the concept, again? Why? He won't do it any better than Ronald Moore did. Not to say that he couldn't make a good movie out of the material but he's really going to confuse casual viewers out there who may think that this movie is connected with the Ronald Moore version. If a big-budget sci-fi movie is going to be successful financially, it will have to draw in a heck of a lot of casual fans, most of whom won't be familiar with the Sci Fi show.

I didn't get too excited about "The X-Men" when I saw it and I don't think I saw any of the sequels (maybe 20 minutes of the 2nd movie when it aired on TV). However, I did see "Superman Returns" a couple weeks ago on TV. Not bad at all. I did like how Singer updated the franchise without departing too much from the first two Superman movies (the Christopher Reeve ones). But that movie didn't do as well at the box office as the studio had hoped so the franchise was placed on stand-by again.

Interestingly, Singer focused on the drama elements of the story. Even though there were some outstanding action sequences in the Superman movie, he chose not to end the movie with the big battle. The final 15 or 20 minutes were surprisingly low-key for a superhero action movie. Ronald Moore used a similar approach with many of the BSG episodes. Even when the episode had a big budget, Moore would often depart from traditional TV sci-fi cliches and focus in on the dramatic elements over the pure action sequences. The scenes of Lee floating in that lake while the big space battle was going on in the Admiral Cain episodes is a good example.

This is one small sign that Singer might approach the material in a manner not too different from the one Moore took. This would probably disappoint fans of the original 1978 series who never warmed up to the modern version. It would also deter some of the adolescents from watching the movie over and over again, which would mean lower box office revenue. I'm sure the studio wouldn't like this situation either.

If some sci-fi fans and studio execs want a more traditional, blow-'em up, action-packed space opera, I don't know if BSG is the right vehicle for this. Ronald Moore picked up on the fact that a terrible tragedy lies at the heart of the BSG mythology, the destruction of the Colonial homeworlds. In a 2-hr. movie, Singer would have to resolve the search for Earth pretty quickly. (I doubt the studio would take a risk on a multi-part movie series.) Both TV series emphasized the length of the journey. Would it seem forced to have the entire quest wrapped up in just 2 hours of screentime?

I was going to say that I wouldn't want to see something like "Lost in Space 2010" with the new BSG movie. With Singer at the helm, I don't think that will happen. But it's hard to see how Singer will navigate his way through this tough test. He has to deal with two versions of the story as well as the fact that one version will only wrap up this year. It really is weird to have another re-imagining of the franchise so soon. If the movie is made and it gets good reviews, I'll give it a try. But if the reviews aren't that enthusiastic, I'll have to pass, or wait until it airs on TV.

tykjen

[9]Oct 11, 2009
    • level: 1
    In the wake of the gods AWFUL worst piece of **** ever final season of BSG, I really like this piece of news.

placesalep

[10]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 7
    Why dump the cast? This doesn't sound very good.

Bionetic

[11]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 8
    My problem is with Bryan Singer. I beleive he has a god aweful track record. He ruined X-Men for me by trying to reinvent it and he did the same for Superman Returns. I doubt he'd make a very good version of BSG.

MajLorne

[12]Feb 11, 2010
    • level: 21
    I think the first two X-Men movies were pretty good. When he ditched doing the 3rd movie, that where X-men really sucked.
    Superman Returns, I liked, but it pretty much was like an update of the first movie [which is nice], but just seemed unappealing.
    Ironically enough Chris Nolan did a kick a$$ job with Batman Begins and Dark Knight, but I still haven't heard word on if they'll start a 3rd movie and franchise is red hot after how well Dark Knight did. Also it's going to be very hard to top Dark Knight.

BSGprophecy

[13]Feb 18, 2010
    • level: 4

I am a huge fan of BSG and I was totally gutted to see it come to an end. Ron Moore brought it back to life and made a huge success of it so why on earth would they even consider re-making it again and basically under-minding his work. The characters of the 2003 re-imagined to me are now set in stone, this was a huge risk for the writers to take which ultimately paid off but there is no way on this earth I would consider someone else as an admiral adama or starbuck. I've fell in love with these characters over the six years and any movie that changes these will destroy this.

There is no way the story can be told in 2hours. Ron and David addressed many complex issues that needed to be told for the fans to really feel a connection to the characters. Could Baltar be loved without all his history being told, I imagine he will just be portrayed as a traitor. Could we learn to love Caprica 6 or any other Cylon after they kill millions in such a short time. That is of course if they choose to have human cylons.

I fear the movie will just turn BSG into a Terminator copy and I really can't see the point of it. I am sure that most BSG will not want this to happen because just like your poll say's "if it's not broken"

Saying all this I would still love to see Ron and David bring back BSG and continue the story even more. If anyone could do it, they could. This show deserves to run for at least 10 seasons. We have Caprica to fall back on at the moment but I'm not too pleased with the way it's gone so far. It seems to long winded and boring at times. I would like to see the story of the final five. This has got legs because as the saying goes, "all this has happened before and all this will happen again."