TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

BSG props for sale in January

123home123

[1]Nov 22, 2008
    • level: 55
    If you've been dying to own a piece of the show, you'll get your chance in January. NBC Universal (the corporate owner of the Sci Fi Channel) will host a live auction of props and costumes from Battlestar Galactica. A preview will be held at the Pasadena Convention Center on Fri., Jan. 16, the premiere date for Season 4.5. The auction itself will be held on Sat., Jan. 17 and Sun., Jan. 18. Items from the first 3 seasons will be available. If you can't make it to Pasadena, you can bid online at www.battlestarprops.com.

Among the items are the pen that Gaeta used to stab Baltar, Tom Zarek's prison jumpsuit, a foam model of the Demetrius, a Pegasus CIC console, the first outfit that Number Six wears in the Miniseries, and more.

I'm tempted to bid on a few items, even in this tough economic environment. Hopefully the prices won't get out of hand. If I could get something for under $50, that would be pretty cool.

On the other hand, it's sad to see all of this stuff disperse into the wider world. It's a concrete symbol of the ending of the series. I noticed that there are still a lot of important items that aren't up for bid. Maybe someone could put together a museum exhibition of these items. It would be great at someplace like the Smithsonian's American History Museum, which just re-opened on Friday after a lengthy, multi-year renovation. (The fact that I live about 10 miles away from the museum has no bearing on my wish to see a BSG exhibit there. Really it doesn't. Not in the least. ) Or the Air and Space Museum. They had a popular Star Wars exhibit there about a decade ago, with the actual filming model of the Millennium Falcon, Darth Vader's costume and so on. The actual Starship Enterprise is also located in the Air and Space Museum, in the gift shop of all places. It would be awesome to have the full-size Cylon Raider or a Colonial Viper in the museum too.

In addition, maybe if the production team hangs onto some of the props and set pieces, they could still use them for another BSG TV movie, other than The Plan, which is due to air after Season 4.5 ends.

Anyway, check out the bidding site and browse around, even if you aren't going to place any online or in-person bids.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

psychickiller

[2]Nov 24, 2008
    • level: 9
    I'd like that Flask (Tigh's) :p

CaptainHarkness

[3]Dec 14, 2008
    • level: 23
    So I guess this diminishes the hope that there'll be future tv movies.

123home123

[4]Dec 14, 2008
    Yeah, I don't think we'll see any more TV movies after "BSG: The Plan".

CaptainHarkness

[5]Dec 15, 2008
    123home123 wrote:
    Yeah, I don't think we'll see any more TV movies after "BSG: The Plan".
    The Plan is a prequel, is it not?

123home123

[6]Dec 16, 2008
    I think it takes place after the Miniseries but before Season 1, or something like that.

CaptainHarkness

[7]Dec 17, 2008
    I just read on Sci-Fi.com when it takes place. http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=2&id=62921
    Edited on 12/17/2008 2:12pm

123home123

[8]Jan 21, 2009
    Did anyone follow the auction to see how much people were bidding and paying for the items? I'm just curious to see how much money was involved for some of the items. Were there any items that were sold for a reasonable amount, say under $100?

zukiki

[9]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 10

The less "iconic" outfits went for relatively cheap. The cheapest thing to go at the auction was Doctor Simon's Distressed Black Suit Jacket for $100.00 plus Tigh, Callie, Baltar and Elosha had something they wore go for $200, but other than that it was rare to see anything go for less than like $700, and reached a max of $17,500 (Adama's Cylon War Painting). You can find a complete listing and prices for the auction at http://www.auctionnetwork.com/UpcomingCatalog.asp?ShowId=321&SortBy=-Past

Plus if you really want to take home a piece of BSG at a potentially discounted price, there will be weekly eBay auctions to coincide with each of the remaining 9 episodes (http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/propworx), plus another auction, similar in size to last weeks auction taking place in May.

Watching the Auction was oddly addictive, it got really intense at times. Things would go for way more money then you'd think they'd have gone for, while others went for surprisingly low prices.

123home123

[10]Jan 22, 2009
    Where is all the money going to, anyway? NBC Universal? A charity? I'm having mixed feelings about the whole idea of the auction, especially in the current state of the economy.

My proposal would be to use the money to fund another BSG TV movie next year. That or a charity.

zukiki

[11]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 10

Yeah, that was one thing I wasn't too crazy about; for the most part all the money is going striaght to NBC Universal. Though I know Trishia Helfer was given her red dress to keep, but she instead offered to put the dress in the auction and the $13,000 that the dess went for was donated to various animal related charities. Also the $1,900 from Tigh's Liquor Bottle went towards a charity of Micheal Hogan's choosing.

Personally I walked away with Leoben's Red Vest getup from the mini-series/The Road Less Traveled up to and atleast last week's episode, and while I probably spent more money then I should have. As long as I don't spend any more money for the next few months I should be okay. The way I look at it is that this is a one in a lifetime chance to own a piece of television history for a show that's left an impact on my life. I've got no regrets. If I didn't buy it, someone else would have, and NBC still gets richer while others get poorer =P

123home123

[12]Jan 22, 2009
    I managed to get my own memento last year (when I actually had some money). I won the bid on one of the autographed episode scripts that the actors' union was auctioning off to support the strike. While I was kind of lukewarm about the idea of the strike, I do sympathize with writers in general. (Not so big on strikes and all that, but that's another matter for another day.) Anyway, I won the autographed script for "Downloaded", one of my all-time favorite BSG episodes. Both David Weddle and Bradley Thompson signed it (I assume).

I do have to say that there was some funny business with the process. The person who was in charge of receiving the funds "mysteriously" came down with an illness the day after the auctions closed and was incommunicado. She also had all the payments go to her personal account. I couldn't get any information for days. Neither could other people, as I found out on the official forum for the auction. Other people had to step in and get the ball rolling. I never did hear from that woman again, although I finally got the script in the mail sometime later.

Since I'd like to get into writing myself, I'm glad that I managed to snag an official episode script and I'm glad it was one of my favorite episodes. One of the Ronald Moore episodes would have been awesome too but the bidding on those was kind of outrageous.

I'll have to check out the next round of eBay auctions. I doubt I can afford anything but maybe if there's some small item that everyone is overlooking, I'll check it out. I don't know how I would pay for it though.

Jeric-Ho

[13]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 34
    Jesus, some people really have too much money at their disposal, bids on a photocopied book of Pythia is going for $1200, still with 4 days left! i am going to add it to my watch list as i am curious as to how much money someone is gonna fork out for a photocopied book!