Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

BSG soundtracks, music and Bear McCreary

Are you going to buy the Season 3 soundtrack CD?

123home123

[1]Oct 23, 2007
    • level: 55
    The Season 3 original soundtrack from composer Bear McCreary went on sale on Tuesday, Oct. 23.

Here's the product listing for the CD at Amazon.com. (Click on the link to hear music samples and to order the CD.)

I checked the local Best Buy and Borders stores but neither had it in stock. Instead of waiting for it, I went ahead and ordered it online.

The Season 2 soundtrack was an excellent album, one which every BSG fan would do well to own. Season 3 should be another great album. In case you're wondering, it does include the new version of "All Along the Watchtower," as arranged by Bear McCreary and as sung by his brother BT4. It's the same version that was featured in the Season 3 finale, "Crossroads, Part 2."

Every year, Bear McCreary stages a live performance of music from the soundtrack. Unfortunately the concert is held in the Los Angeles area. (Unfortunate for those of us who don't live in or near L.A.) The concerts usually coincide with the release of the soundtrack CDs but this time the concert will be delayed a couple months. According to Bear McCreary's blog, the concert won't be held until sometime in January 2008. The show will include music from all three seasons and maybe a sneak preview of some of the music from Season 4.

Check out Bear McCreary's official blog for more details on the location and date. (Click on link.)

UPDATE: There is now a separate URL for Bear's Battlestar Blog: www.bearmccreary.com/blog

Visit buysoundtrax to purchase an autographed copy of the sheet music for the solo piano song "Battlestar Sonatica."

-------------------------------

MUSIC UPDATE

The "annual" Battlestar Galactica concert will be held at the Roxy nightclub in Los Angeles on April 13th. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster. Bear McCreary, Bt4 (Bear's brother Brendan and the singer on "All Along the Watchtower"), guitarist Steve Bartek and other BSG veterans will be on hand, along with an expanded band featuring Japanese taiko drums, orchestral strings, and more.

BSG cast members will serve as hosts for the performance. A brand-new video presentation/documentary will be shown at the concert as well. Sounds like it'll be a great show.

-------------------------------

UPDATE: I'm changing the focus of this thread to any and all soundtracks for BSG and other music-related items, including Bear McCreary updates and concerts.
    Edited on 03/03/2009 4:31am
    Edited 10 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

peprmpati

[2]Oct 24, 2007
    • level: 10
    Ordering the new sound track is the best way to go. I have found that BSG music is not in stores...Your local music store might be able to order it for you but you will have to wait 2-3 weeks, maybe longer since this is considered the retail holiday season.

peprmpati

[3]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 10
    I just got the soundtrack last night. OMG!!! I got to say that once you listen to it, you mind will be blown away. Especially All along the Watch tower. That song once you listen to it you can totally tell which verse goes with Tigh, Chief, Anders, and Tori. And you can possable guess who will be the next, Cylon.

tripping82

[4]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 14
    I have it also. It's excellent...a real master piece in my mind. I love the track before Watchtower (can't remember the name of it at the moment.)

123home123

[5]Oct 29, 2007
    I'm still waiting for my copy. I ordered it a couple days late, that is, too late to get it on the official release date. Hopefully it'll arrive this week.

123home123

[6]Oct 30, 2007
    And here it is! I got it in the mail today. I've got a few things to take care of but I'll be listening to it later this evening. All day tomorrow too.

UPDATE-I haven't really listened to any of this music in about seven months. (I haven't watched any of the episodes of Season 3 since they originally aired on Sci Fi, for the most part.) Listening to "Watchtower" reminds me of how crazy and mind-blowing that season finale was. Hearing the first track, "A Distant Sadness," immediately brings me back to the nervous feeling I had when I saw the Season 3 premiere, when I had no idea who was going to live or die on New Caprica. All of these tracks are still fresh in my memory as soon as I hear them on the CD. They are closely tied to the onscreen action as I'm listening to them.

There's more guitar on this album than on the Season 2 soundtrack. It's pretty cool. I like hearing different things and following the musical progression over the course of the series. Great stuff!
    Edited on 10/30/2007 7:02pm

montogma23

[7]Nov 3, 2007
    • level: 6
    this was the best soundtrack of all the seasons.

storming new caprica-you could just re picture the entire exodus scene while listening to it.

the dance-love irish dance music and this track really stands out in the soundrack.

dirty hands and heading the call were fantastic

highlight:all along the watchtower.Best rendition of the song.All in all totally worth the money that you pay for it.

123home123

[8]Nov 8, 2007
    I found another positive online review for the soundtrack. The reviewer calls Bear's work some of the best soundtrack work done for any television series.

I would have to agree. I don't really remember the music from most TV shows. I usually forget about it almost as soon as the episode is over, but with the music for BSG, it becomes an essential element of the show all on its own, kind of like how John Williams' score for Star Wars added so much to the overall experience of that movie and trilogy.

123home123

[9]Nov 10, 2007
    tripping82 wrote:
    I have it also. It's excellent...a real master piece in my mind. I love the track before Watchtower (can't remember the name of it at the moment.)

"Heeding the Call." I'm listening to it right now while I'm typing this. Wild guitar playing from Steve Bartek in the background. He plays the electric and acoustic guitars on the soundtrack. He also plays many of the strange, exotic string sounds that are actually guitars, even though they don't sound like guitars.

Lei_K

[10]Nov 29, 2007
    • level: 11
    Just got my copy today in the mail from Amazon. Its in the cd deck atm Love it!!

24Titan

[11]Jan 11, 2008
    • level: 13

I'd say that, of the three seasons of Galactica, this soundtrack is the best one as a whole. It has the most music that is consistently good. That being said, it doesn't have the best individual songs of the series. It's gonna take a ton to unseat Prelude to War. However, it does have some clear standouts.

I'll go through the individual tracks that I think are worth mentioning. If I had to pick a favorite from the album, it would be Violence and Variations. This beautiful piece is nearly all strings for close to eight minutes long. Of the three long strings pieces (Passacaglia, Allegro, and this), Violence and Variations is definitely the best. Another standout is the piano solo of Battlestar Sonatica. This piano solo is extremely haunting and wonderfully done. It's one of my favorite pieces from the entire show.

Other standouts from this album include Kat's Sacrifice (the second use of brass in the entire series), Refugees Return (a wonderfully contrasting piece to the scene where it belongs), Gentle Execution (a very tragic piece that fits very well in the scene), and it just wouldn't be complete without the absolutely stunning rendition of All Along the Watchtower, a stunning piece that is miles ahead of Season Two's Black Market.

That being said, there are some pieces that I don't think too highly of. One of these is Storming New Caprica. Nearly every review I've read of this soundtrack makes a specific mention of this track, but I don't think it's very good. Prelude to War is much better, as it is easy to comprehend and has a recurring theme throughout the piece. Storming New Caprica is just kinda bam-bam-bam and nothing else.

Overall, I'd say that the strength of this soundtrack is definitely in its softer, more emotional tracks. Pieces such as Battlestar Sonatica and Violence and Variations are wonderful, while other pieces (Someone to Trust) are vastly underrated. Any way you go, this soundtrack is worth having. Get on Amazon and buy it!

123home123

[12]Jan 11, 2008
    "Violence and Variations" caught my ear the very first time I listened to the soundtrack. I mentioned the piece in the interview I posted with Bear McCreary.

"Battlestar Sonatica" is another good one. For any of you who play piano, you can purchase the sheet music for the song online (click on the link).

Idbeolderifiwas

[13]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 20
    I gotta tell you, I don't usually get soundtracks. But you guys made it sound so good, that I decided to give it a chance. I can't stop listening to All Along the Watchtower now I haven't listened fully through it, but I tell you AATWT is great.

123home123

[14]Mar 14, 2008
    Bear would love hearing that someone who doesn't usually buy soundtracks went ahead and bought the Season 3 soundtrack. It's a great place to start doing so. Check out the Season 2 and Season 1 soundtracks as well, especially Season 2.

Idbeolderifiwas

[15]Mar 17, 2008
    After listening to more songs, I'm coming to realize just how great the music on BSG is. I mean of course I noticed it in the show, but when you're listening to the songs it's almost like I can remember what is happening during the specific song. I love Adama Falls, and Admiral and Commander is great too. I like Dirty Hands, mostly because it reminds me somewhat of Firefly, and, well, every song is pretty good but there are some obvious standouts.

123home123

[16]Mar 23, 2008
    The "annual" BSG concert will be held on April 13th at the Roxy nightclub in Los Angeles. (Yeah, it's been about 18 months since the last BSG concert but that's because of the year-long hiatus between seasons.) Bear McCreary will conduct the band. Cast members will be on hand as emcees.

Tickets are supposedly available on Ticketmaster right now. If you live in the area or you will be visiting that weekend, don't miss out on the chance to see the music of Battlestar Galactica performed live by the musicians who actually perform on the series soundtrack. Among the musicians expected to participate are Bt4 (Bear's brother Brendan), Steve Bartek (guitarist on "All Along the Watchtower," "Black Market" and all of the other rocking numbers), other Oingo Boingo alumni (almost half of that 80s band has been involved with the music for the show) and of course Bear McCreary.

crushgoil

[17]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 2
    I've never thought about buying a TV show soundtrack before, but I might just have to get this.

123home123

[18]Apr 7, 2008
    It's a worthwhile purchase.

As for the BSG concerts, a second date has been added. Check Bear's website or Ticketmaster for the details.

Idbeolderifiwas

[19]Apr 7, 2008
    123home123 wrote:
    It's a worthwhile purchase.

As for the BSG concerts, a second date has been added. Check Bear's website or Ticketmaster for the details.

Indeed. I was skeptical at first as well, but it truly is a great soundtrack.

kingofocean

[20]Apr 26, 2008
    • level: 12

(Sorry If I my english is not that good, I am french lol )

Since the day I began to learn how to play the piano (when I was like, 6), I knew that music was going to be something very interesting for me. The day I realized that there were people working their *ss off to do music for movie was when I heard the music from the movie Jurassic Park. Man, John Williams did the most amazing work! From then on, I've always noticed musics (or scores) on movies / tv shows.

I have to say that I am really new to the series. I have watched it the first time a month ago (beginning with the first season of course) and I am HOOCKED!!! My friends are too now lol.

Anyway. I downloaded the 3'rd season soundtrack of this show even before I watched any episode of the show, due to all the comments I have read on it. When I saw on amazon.com that there was the CD of the soundtrack of a tv show, I was immediatly interested in it, since I love the work composers do!

Man, I only have the first 13 tracks, and already I knew that I had to watch the series! Beeing interesting of a serie because of it soundtracks shows a lot!

I have now the entire soundtrack of course, and it is AMAZING! (I also have those of season 1 and 2, and the mini series lol).

BTW, even if you didn't watched or liked the movie Transformers, I strongly suggest you to buy the score made by Steve Jablonsky, especially the track 12 : Arrival to Earth.

Keep up the good work! I want more amazing scores

P.S : I loved the one when in season 4, every one wave goodbye to Lee Adama. Once again, a great moment :'