Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

BSG soundtracks, music and Bear McCreary

Are you going to buy the Season 3 soundtrack CD?

pureWasted

[21]May 3, 2008
    • level: 7

Late to the party as always, might as well throw my 0.02 in anyway!:

One of the finest soundtracks in all of television. Bear McCreary started the music with the season 1 finale's two pieces, and throughout season 2 built up a sound as unique as anything else in the show.

The season 3 soundtrack is an improvement in many ways, and I never get tired of listening to it. I would recommend it to anyone who can enjoy music without words in a heartbeat.

Personal favorite tracks include: Storming New Caprica (if for no other reason than the music that accompanies The Adama Maneuver [tm]), Gentle Execution (Aw, Saul..), Refugees Return (Aw, Saul.....), Violence and Variations (phenomenal piece which accompanies my single favorite BSG episode), Battlestar Sonatica (which I am still attempting to reproduce without the sheet music), Dirty Hands, and the final track All Along the Watchtower, which was just brilliant.

The music is very easy to listen to and especially brings up imagery from the show very strongly. Once again, strongly recommended to any fans of the show. Great music for falling asleep to, listening during some creative sessions, or while journeying about the world. For all seasons, really!

My only wish is that they go back and re-use some of these tracks in season 4. If during some tragic Tigh-related moment -- which we all Godsdamn well know is coming -- the season 2 theme "Martial Law" played, I could die happy.

Edited on 05/02/2008 11:52pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[22]May 3, 2008
    • level: 55
    Actually Bear has been quoting some of the earlier themes this season. The counter-melody used in "All Along the Watchtower" plays in certain situations when one of the "Final Five" is going down a dark path. When I interviewed him last year, he said that much of the music from the early episodes of this season would use or quote the motifs and musical cues from the previous seasons, until the episodes and characters started to branch off from the previous stories and situations more radically. At that point, he will focus more on new material.

GavinGibbons

[23]May 17, 2008
    • level: 29
    I love two songs from the show, and like the rest.

1. all around the watchtower (we all know it now)

and the song that plays when Gaius and six are in the room where the babies crib is- i think its classical but god i love it. if they are both on then im getting it

UnionLords

[24]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 1

I like most of the season 3 musics a lot.

But if I have to choose one of them for top of my list,

I would definitely choose "Heeding the Call".

God, I love it so much.

I listen it every single day.

Although it sounds a little bit like "All along the Watchtower",

"Heeding The Call" is Waaaaaay better than Watchtower.

Especially the second half of it... That nightmarish & mysterious part... I almost hooked on that part.

Other than that;

I like
    A Distant Sadness, Battlestar Sonatica, Variance and Variations, All along The Watchtower,

Deathbed and Maelstrom,
    A Gentle Execution, The Temple of Five and Dirty Hands, from most to least...

which iare almost half of the soundtrack songs

((I like any Galactica musics sound like clasical))

Edited on 09/13/2008 8:48am

Idbeolderifiwas

[25]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 20
    One that I really love is Mandala In The Clouds. It's really intense and exciting.

Idbeolderifiwas

[26]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 20
    A little update here. I've now got all of the BSG soundtracks, but the Season 3 one is still my favourite overall.

123home123

[27]Jan 21, 2009
    Though the Season 4 soundtrack probably won't be available for several months, there are other Bear McCreary soundtracks available from his other shows, including The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Support our favorite TV music composer and check them out at his official website: www.bearmccreary.com/blog.

Bear will also be scoring the music for the Caprica pilot and the entire 20-episode first season, which he says will air in 2010. Good news for BSG fans.

The Season 4.0 DVD includes a behind-the-scenes documentary showing the process of writing and recording the music for BSG. The film was co-produced by Bear and premiered at the April 2008 live Battlestar music concerts in L.A.

So even after Season 4.5 is over, we still have the BSG TV movie (The Plan) to look forward too, and then the Season 4 soundtrack. Caprica follow after all that. So the world of BSG won't be going away completely. It'll continue on in an altered form.

123home123

[28]Mar 3, 2009
    I'm changing the focus of this thread since it's been more than 16 months since the last BSG soundtrack album was released. (The delay was the result of the Sci Fi Channel's scheduling decisions, including the full 12-month break between Season 3 and Season 4.0 and another 7-month break between Season 4.0 and Season 4.5.) I'll try to post any relevant BSG music items here. Feel free to post any general comments about the music for Battlestar Galactica (2003) in this thread.

NEWS UPDATE: Bear McCreary announced on his official blog that he just got engaged, to Raya Yarbrough, on February 15, 2009. BSG fans should be familiar with Ms. Yarbrough. She has been featured in some episodes of BSG, providing the haunting female vocals for pieces like "Lords of Kobol", which is found on the Season 2 soundtrack. Congratulations Bear and Raya!

mjk1

[29]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 7
    Anyone know when season 4 OST is coming out ?

premier69

[30]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 3
    Yes, please I would like to know too! best music ever!

The-1337

[31]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 4
    I'm guessing it will come out in June after the dvd release.

seantuck

[32]Aug 1, 2009
    • level: 8
    I have all the BSG soundtracks except season 1's. By far my favorite of them is the 2nd disc for season 4 which includes the complete score for "Daybreak" It is brilliant!

claudia40

[33]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 9
    I only got a few individual songs listened to them today infact there really great!!