Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

BSG Tau Theory

Bionetic

[1]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 8

OK, I mentioned this theory on another thread, but it didn't get much attention, but I've developed the theory a little bit more since then. OK, perhaps this is a trivial observation, but has anyone noticed how everyone of the Final Five's has a T at the beginning of one of their names?

1. Saul Tigh,
    2. Galen Tyrol
    3. Tory Foster
    4. Samuel T. "Longshot" Anders

Maybe the T in each of their names isn't a coincidence. Perhaps it's a portent indicating that whoever is the fifth cylon will have a T at the beginning of one of their name.

If that were the case, then the final Cylon would be either:

1. Kara Thrace - Most likely candidate, based on T Theory.
    2. Tom Zarek - Possible "Curve ball" Candidate, based on T Theory.
    3. Ellen Tigh - Dead, but possible resurrected.
    4. Cally Tyrol - Dead, but possible resurrected.
    As you'll notice, all 4 of the final Cylons that have been revealed have a T at the beginning of one of their names. Coincidence, I think not. I think it's part of a larger puzzle crafted by Moore. I think the multiple T's are possibly a sign indicating the identity of the final Cylon. Well actually, i think it represents more than just the identity of the final cylon, but let's start there. The simplest assumption would be that the final Cylon will also have a T at the beginning of one of their names. Let's assume that T in each the final cylon's name isn't just a big coincidence, what does it mean? Maybe that T or Tau seems to play a big role in BSG? So what does the T represent?
    1. A T-square is an Ancient Egyptian hieroglyph for "Tau" which means "sacred gate" or "sacred opening". Multiple Taus form a temple: for example "Stonehenge".
    The concept of the temple has been a common theme in BSG. Maybe it's more than a convenient plot device. If my memory serves me correctly, when Roslyn and Adama discovered the Temple on Kobol they were seemingly transported to earth, to the site of Stonehenge or a site similar to Stonehenge (correct me if I'm wrong). Each individual structure in these Stonehenge like structure formed a "double tau". The double tau is the symbol of the mathematical symbol pi.
    • the origin, meaning and purpose of ancient stone Taus and Henges in Britain and Europe has become clear. They originated in remote Ancient Egypt as Taus and they represent Temples, which are gateways for the Sun at the Dawn of a New Age of the Zodiac. Their purpose is to commemorate the Dawn of the Ages of the Zodiac, and in some cases track and predict the Dawn of the next Age of the Zodiac. http://ancientegypt.hypermart.net/substitutedsecrets/index.htm
    Aurora has also been a prominent theme in BSG.

So what does the idea of the "Dawn of the Ages of the Zodiac" have to do with BSG? No, I'm really asking, anyone have any ideas?

Perhaps the five are the "temple"; but in what context? The T in the revealed Cylon's names means that each Cylon is a Tau. Each of the final five represents one Tau. Together they form four Tau or multiple tau. I assume the final cylon will have a T in their name making them the last Tau. Together these multiple Tau form a temple to be revealed in the show.

It seems that each temple the fleet of BSG have discovered has been a marker helping the fleet find some treasure. Originally one might have thought that treasure was a populated Earth, but considering the post-apocalyptic state of Earth one must assume the treasure they are being led to is something less obvious. They still have to go to the Temple of Aurora. I believe the five are the last temple and the key to finding whatever they are searching for.

I could keep on going with this, but I think it would be easier to refer you to this website: http://ancientegypt.hypermart.net/treasuremap/index.htm I don't know how credible it is, but it certainly has interesting ideas which I think may be related to themes in BSG.

Edited on 07/07/2008 7:22pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

oz_island

[2]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 12
    This is not a bad theory...if I remember correctly Asimov used the letter R to signify who robots are.

Rivenhall

[3]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 2
    Interesting theory, but if I remember correctly, Moore said that they didn't know who the 'five' were until well into the series, so the names of Tigh, Tyrol etc had T's in them before they were written as Cylons.
    Unless it's retconned and they simply picked as Cylons those who had T-names.

You could go mad with this. Maybe that's the idea.

zukiki

[4]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 10

My problem with this theory is that it doesn't really prove or mean anything. It can be interpreted in countless different ways to the point where it hurts more then it helps. Lets just say for a minute that the final cylon is later revealed and does in fact have a name that starts with 'T', will that prove this theory right? Will it matter?

See if there was only one character left with a name starting with 'T' then this theory would be interesting, but there are at least four, and we don't know everyone's middle name, which opens the floor up to just about everyone again. And as for the rest of thr theory, while it's an interesting possibility, there isn't enough proof in the show to back it up, which makes it difficult to support, agree with and build on.

Also, on a personal note, which isn't directly directed at you, but more towards the Asimov fans. I don't get how people can read a book with some similarities with BSG and then genuinely hope that the creators of the show have read the book and will blatantly steal the ending of the book to end their series, as if it would be a good thing. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure regardless of how the show ends people are gonna compare it to what ever piece of literaturethey want it too, but the beat for beat ending their hoping for would ruin the show for me if it were to come to pass.

Me personally, when this is all said and done, I plan to start a thread about how BSG was inspired by Harry Potter.

Bionetic

[5]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 8
    zukiki wrote:

My problem with this theory is that it doesn't really prove or mean anything. It can be interpreted in countless different ways to the point where it hurts more then it helps. Lets just say for a minute that the final cylon is later revealed and does in fact have a name that starts with 'T', will that prove this theory right? Will it matter?

See if there was only one character left with a name starting with 'T' then this theory would be interesting, but there are at least four, and we don't know everyone's middle name, which opens the floor up to just about everyone again. And as for the rest of thr theory, while it's an interesting possibility, there isn't enough proof in the show to back it up, which makes it difficult to support, agree with and build on.

Also, on a personal note, which isn't directly directed at you, but more towards the Asimov fans. I don't get how people can read a book with some similarities with BSG and then genuinely hope that the creators of the show have read the book and will blatantly steal the ending of the book to end their series, as if it would be a good thing. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure regardless of how the show ends people are gonna compare it to what ever piece of literaturethey want it too, but the beat for beat ending their hoping for would ruin the show for me if it were to come to pass.

Me personally, when this is all said and done, I plan to start a thread about how BSG was inspired by Harry Potter.

Actually, I think your wrong on both points. I think what makes a story great are layers. Layers give the story depth.
    :
    Will it prove this theory right?
    Yes, or at least parts of it.
    :
    Will it matter?
    Yes, because it will bring Moore's fans one step closer to understanding the message Moore is trying to convey? There is a deeper meaning that revolves around Christianity, Roman Gods, and the Zodiac. the question is what is? It's like The Last Cylon picture. (by the way, have you seen this http://www.spacewesterns.com/articles/60/ )It looks like "just" a pic on the surface; but clearly it has a deeper underlying meaning that gives it depth. I know you will chalk it up as a simple advertising scheme meant to get ratings, but I believe it is a part of the underlying message Moore is trying to convey to his audience.
    :
    See if there was only one character left with a name starting with 'T' then this theory would be interesting, but there are at least four, and we don't know everyone's middle name, which opens the floor up to just about everyone again.
    I disagree, because while there are at least four people with a T at the start of there name; one of those persons clearly stands out among the rest. Starbuck. Honestly, the clues in the show, in The Last Cylon ad, and now in this Tau theory up until now have all pointed at Kara. I think what Deanna said was meant to throw us off. Ultimately Kara may turn out to be the Last Cylon. The theory illustrates that there quite possible is a deeper theme involved in the story. This theme may teach us something about contemporary spirituality, and about Moore's world view. Look at how the Da Vinci code impacted the world. Yes it was a work of fiction, but it taught the world a few things about Gnostic Christianity and it gave us a new perspective on age old paintings, among other things. I think Moore seeks to motivate the similar spark that will change how we view the world; if only slightly. If the writer took the time to put into the story, then the readers should at least do the writer the courtesy of considering it's significance.
    :
    I don't get how people can read a book with some similarities with BSG and then genuinely hope that the creators of the show have read the book and will blatantly steal the ending of the book to end their series, as if it would be a good thing.
    I don't think they want Moore to steal the ending of the book. What they want is to see a good literary device reapplied in this show. The writers of "The Matrix" movie took themes from Alice in Wonderland and reapplied the themes to make a deeper movie. Using ideas from a great piece of literature only is meant to pay homage to that book.
    :
    If you see "genuine" connections between BSG and Harry Potter please note them. I'd love to hear them. Thanks everyone who posted though. I really appreciate the constructive criticism, regardless of whether it's for the theory or against it.