Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Chat at Joe's Bar: What is your sci-fi background? (poll added 11/1/07)

How big a science fiction fan are you?

JamesYucca

[1]Aug 7, 2006
    • level: 5
    It seems to me that this show is one that would appeal to people who are not otherwise fans of science fiction. So I'm just curious if BSG is the first sci-fi story many of you have really enjoyed, or if I'm among the company of more serious nerds.

So that being said, I'll go first. I am a serious sci-fi nerd. Star Wars (the movies, never cared for the books), Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, didn't watch VOY or ENG). But if you want really good sci-fi, you have to read. Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Gibson, Dick. I've read a lot of the first three, and have a lot of the last two on my to read list. If you like the political intrigue aspect of BSG, I strongly recommend "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Heinlein. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

What about all of you?

EDIT: How could I forget B5 and Farscape? ::hangs head in shame:: Both were great series, loved them.
    Edited on 11/01/2007 8:31pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LtAgathon

[2]Aug 7, 2006
    • level: 3

I love scifi like crazy, but i'm not really into reading.

Star Wars will always be dear to me. I watched it all the time as a kid. The original trilogy more so than the new ones. Phantom Menace really irritates me, but I liked Revenge. I'll watch all 5 Trek shows, no I don't include the animated series as a Trek show. I loved the Stargate movie when it came out and I love both SG-1 and Atlantis. Earth 2 was a great one that got cancelled after one season. Along with Space: Above and Beyond. X-files, Farscape, Andromeda, Roswell, Sliders.... yeah, i'm a total scifi geek.

Moviemaster2222

[3]Aug 7, 2006
    • level: 16

Ok lets see

All Starwars, never got into the books, Doctor who, still waiting for second season to come to America, all startrek except for origanal, Stargates, X-files, Buffy, Angel, Supernatural....

I could go on for a while, lets leave it with the above.

StelingMB

[4]Aug 7, 2006

I've been wild about SciFi stuff since I was about six or seven years old (which is really rare for a girl). I think part of the interest was piqued during a visit to the EPCOT Cener at Disney World, and althought the film wasn't specifically SciFi "Spacecamp" really sealed the deal. Since them I've enjoyed plent of different SciFi series'and movies':

X-Files
    Blade Runner
    Aliens
    Terminator
    The Outer Limits
    Witchblade

pretty much all the classic stuff, including some Star Trek (never considered myself die hard Trekker though) while I am without question die hard 'BSG Forever'...

Edited on 08/08/2006 12:27pm

123home123

[5]Aug 7, 2006
    • level: 55
    I'm somewhat of a sci-fi fan, but not a really enthusiastic one when compared to most of the sci-fi people on the site. I remember watching the original Star Wars movies, repeats of the original Star Trek series and the original Battlestar Galactica. I never read any sci-fi books except for the Dune series. I didn't really like "Stranger in a Strange Land". I could never manage to finish it.

At the same time, I enjoy watching police/detective shows. Some of my favorite older series are Hawaii Five-O, Magnum, P.I. and Hunter.

I really didn't follow many sci-fi shows at all for several years. I hardly watched any Star Trek: The Next Generation. I saw more episodes of Deep Space Nine and Voyager, but I wouldn't really consider myself a huge fan of either show. I never watched many episodes of shows like Andromeda, Quantum Leap or Babylon 5.

As for more recent shows, I've only seen a couple episodes of Farscape (it didn't really pull me in) and Firefly (I found it only moderately interesting--I know I'm going to hear it from angelandspike for saying that ). I loved The X-Files, but that wasn't really a traditional sci-fi show. It was more like a drama with sci-fi elements.

I never watched the Stargate shows or the movie until after I started watching the new Battlestar Galactica. Like most people here, I was completely blown away by how good the BSG miniseries was. I anxiously awaited episodes from the regular series. When the show finally began airing in the U.S., I caught a few episodes of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis since they aired on the same night. I didn't really know too much about the Stargate universe until the fall of 2005. I found the articles on Wikipedia to be a great resource. I caught up on the major plot points without having to watch all the past seasons. (I don't have time to watch that many old episodes.) My interest in Stargate SG-1 is flagging this season. I like Stargate Atlantis a little better because I was able to watch the show almost from the very beginning.

I enjoyed the 2nd half of the premiere (and only) season of Invasion. Lost is good too, but again, that's more of a drama with sci-fi elements than a pure sci-fi show.

I'm definitely one of the fans of BSG who is only a moderate sci-fi fan. If it weren't for BSG I probably wouldn't be watching much sci-fi at all, and I might not be watching the Sci Fi Channel except for the occasional older show. I wouldn't have watched the Stargate shows either if not for BSG.

DocMartigan

[6]Aug 8, 2006

I was breast fed on Sci Fi.

My parents had recorded all the Star Wars movies off HBO or something, and we
    had the tapes. I would watch them almost everyday when I got home from daycare,
    then kindergarden, then school. Not to mention my Dad was a big Star Trek fan,
    so I would watch repeats of the original show with him a lot, then we moved on
    to TNG, quantum leap, etc. If it was Sci Fi, we watched it. The exception was
    actually the original BSG. It was even crappy back then.

I love Stargate the movie, hate SG-1, and like Atlantis oddly enough. (Everyone
    hear they might be making two theatrical sequels to the original?) I liked all
    the Star Trek's, with the exception of Enterprise.
    The old Star Wars movies I love, and the new ones I basically just fast forward
    through to the lightsaber action. I didn't like Firefly/Serenity. Mainly
    because of the acting and/or direction. I remember watching Sci Fi movies that I don't
    even know the names of. Probably the kind that are in the dollar DVD bin now.

As for reading, I was never a big reader until college really. I like
    fantasy and horror (not D&D type) stuff more than sci-fi... but enjoy both. I
    have read the Dune series, Rama, a lot of Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, etc.
    Basically the ones most people have heard of. The Dark
    Tower is my favorite book series
    ever, which is sort of a combination of fantasy/sci fi. (I'm a King nut).

All of the above might lead you to believe that BSG is my favorite show of all
    time. It isn't. But it is my number 2!

trackstarbuck

[7]Aug 8, 2006
    • level: 10
    i was born w/ my dad watching star-trek and i watched w/ him. then he got me into Babylon5 and then Stargate SG-1. and then Battlestar.
    and then i fell in love w/...
    Charmed
    Alias
    Buffy
    Firefly
    and i introduced him to Stargate Atlantis and Eureka.

trackstarbuck

[8]Aug 8, 2006

StelingMB wrote:
    I've been wild about SciFi stuff since I was about six or seven years old (which is really rare for a girl). I think part of the interest was piqued during a visit to the EPCOT Cener at Disney World, and althought the film wasn't specifically SciFi "Spacecamp" really sealed the deal. Since them I've enjoyed plent of different SciFi series'and movies': X-Files Blade Runner Aliens Terminator The Outer Limits Whitchblade pretty much all the classic stuff, including some Star Trek (never considered myself die hard Trekker though) while I am without question die hard 'BSG Forver'... 
    rare for a girl? since i was 3! haha! beat you!  w/ Babylon 5, i remember pointing to the screen and being like "Vor-lon! Yayay!". Kosh was my favorite character.

Edited on 08/08/2006 8:39am
    Edited 2 total times.

JamesYucca

[9]Aug 8, 2006

StelingMB wrote:
    (which is really rare for a girl)

Unfortunately. But I do think it is becoming more common.

I watched The X-Files as well, but I never thought of it as sci-fi. Super-natural and para-normal is the antithesis of science fiction in my opinion. Science is all about explaining things. The X-Files was full of ghosts, werewolves and those types of things , not very sciencey at all. Don't get me wrong it was a great show, but not really sci-fi if you ask me.

Doc
    You said you like horror. Have you read much Lovecraft?

StelingMB

[10]Aug 8, 2006
    JamesYucca wrote:
    StelingMB wrote:
    (which is really rare for a girl)

Unfortunately. But I do think it is becoming more common.

I watched The X-Files as well, but I never thought of it as sci-fi. Super-natural and para-normal is the antithesis of science fiction in my opinion. Science is all about explaining things. The X-Files was full of ghosts, werewolves and those types of things , not very sciencey at all. Don't get me wrong it was a great show, but not really sci-fi if you ask me.

James I'll have to disagree with you here (regarding X-Files). The very core of the show debated whether certain phenomenon were in fact natural (and therefore scientific) or supernatural as you described! I believe the show did a good job allowing viewers to make up their own minds...

lokenc

[11]Aug 8, 2006
    • level: 4
    I really like sci fi and read tons of the books and watch a lot of the shows. My favourite is Babylon 5 and I think that BSG is actually similar to it in some ways.

trackstarbuck

[12]Aug 8, 2006
    lokenc wrote:
    I really like sci fi and read tons of the books and watch a lot of the shows. My favourite is Babylon 5 and I think that BSG is actually similar to it in some ways.

Yay babylon 5!

trackstarbuck

[13]Aug 8, 2006
    so, how many of us are female, for the record...???

lustorende

[14]Aug 8, 2006
    • level: 1

Like almost everyone else on this site my interest with sci-fi begins with star wars. Although I didn't stop at the movies. I loved the books and I especially loved the New Jedi Order series. Star Trek has been hot and cold for me at different points during my life. I've always liked the movies. I enjoyed TNG and DS9 but I mildly dislike Enterprise and I outright despise Voyager.
        I like the Stargate movie but my dislike of the series has grown as I've grown more and more film literate. Since I'm a film student I'd say that puts me at utter hatred now. The clunky camp fest of the characters and story combined with set design as bland as baby food really tend to turn me off....I'm going to get hate mail. I have yet find any brain child of Joss Weddon that I have major issues with. I've only seen a few showings of Dead Like Me but so far I like its dark humor and sense of drama.
        Like everyone else who posts on this forum I believe BSG is without equal in Sci-Fi. And possibly without equal in all of television. As for its audience; I believe it does draw people who are not steeped in the genre...they just don't post on SciFi forums.

For the record I'm male.  As one would hope since my Avatar is a bearded midget.  Yes I have a beard and I am kinda short...although not a midget...
    Edited on 08/08/2006 9:54pm

trackstarbuck

[15]Aug 9, 2006
    lustorende wrote:
        Like almost everyone else on this site my interest with sci-fi begins with star wars. Although I didn't stop at the movies. I loved the books and I especially loved the New Jedi Order series. Star Trek has been hot and cold for me at different points during my life. I've always liked the movies. I enjoyed TNG and DS9 but I mildly dislike Enterprise and I outright despise Voyager.
        I like the Stargate movie but my dislike of the series has grown as I've grown more and more film literate. Since I'm a film student I'd say that puts me at utter hatred now. The clunky camp fest of the characters and story combined with set design as bland as baby food really tend to turn me off....I'm going to get hate mail. I have yet find any brain child of Joss Weddon that I have major issues with. I've only seen a few showings of Dead Like Me but so far I like its dark humor and sense of drama.
        Like everyone else who posts on this forum I believe BSG is without equal in Sci-Fi. And possibly without equal in all of television. As for its audience; I believe it does draw people who are not steeped in the genre...they just don't post on SciFi forums.

For the record I'm male.  As one would hope since my Avatar is a bearded midget.  Yes I have a beard and I am kinda short...although not a midget...

yay beared midget!

Ootams

[16]Aug 9, 2006
    well i'am scifi fan since Star Wars, Startrek. i have watched

stargate sg-1

stargate atlantis

babylon 5

i have also watched xfiles, supernatural but never considered them as scifi shows..

dawnscats

[17]Aug 9, 2006
    • level: 4
    Ok, I'm about to date myself here.
    I have been watching anything remotely sci-fi, since the 70's.
    Yes that means I watched Buck Rogers (Gil Gerrad vs) religiously, though I disliked it after they moved onto the Seeker. Knight Rider. I remember some shows, I'm sure that most people have never heard of, one of my favorites was Fantastic Journey, with Rodney McDowell. I was (and still am) a major sci-fi geek. There are current programs I've never had a chance to see, like firefly. Must have been on during something my husband wanted to see. I grew up watching, reading, what ever I could. I joined sci-fi clubs whenever I moved, if I could find one.

Geeks unite.

Star Trek has got to be where I go my ultimate geekiest. I can (or could at one point) tell you what the episode title is within two minutes, for classic and next gen. I've watched all other trek franchise. Unlike others here, I loved Voyager. I'm a hugh Kate Mulgrew fan.

I started watching BSG, because of the orignial, but find I like it differently. There is no comparison. I love Stargate, both.

Again, I eat up and Sci-fi/fantasy/comic book stuff I can get.

LtAgathon

[18]Aug 9, 2006
    dawnscats wrote:
    Star Trek has got to be where I go my ultimate geekiest. I can (or could at one point) tell you what the episode title is within two minutes, for classic and next gen. I've watched all other trek franchise. Unlike others here, I loved Voyager. I'm a hugh Kate Mulgrew fan.
    Yay! A Voyager fan! On a separate note, I forgot Planet of the Apes

StelingMB

[19]Aug 9, 2006
    LtAgathon wrote:
    dawnscats wrote:
    Yay! A Voyager fan! On a separate note, I forgot Planet of the Apes

Oooo, I forgot that one for my list..bring on the Janeway!!!

Moby1969

[20]Aug 26, 2006
    I'm a long time sci fi fan. My favorite authors are Philip K Dick and AE Van Vogt. I read a lot of authors though. Heinlein I quite like.

TV/Movie wise:
    - Babylon 5. A groundbreaking show in so many way. Aside from the sci fi aspect of it, it was pretty well the first show with a planned story ark. Before that a tv show was pretty well stand alone episodes
    - Charleton Heston's classic sci-fi films: Omega Man, Soylent Green, Planet of the Apes. Long term fan of all those films.
    - Empire Strikes Back.
    - John Carpenter's The Thing
    - Cowboy Bebop. Just awesome.
    - Firefly
    - Ghost in the Shell
    - Patlabor
    - V. That was actually a pretty good series.

Spielberg's War of the Worlds is what I'd classify as a recent scifi masterpiece. I love that film.

I did see a little of the original BSG when I was a child, but never really gone back to it.