Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Chat at Joe's Bar: What is your sci-fi background? (poll added 11/1/07)

How big a science fiction fan are you?

seanconery

[21]Aug 26, 2006
    • level: 10
    I've seen pretty much all of those shows. Don't know if it's been mentioned but Space Above and Beyond was also good.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

trackstarbuck

[22]Aug 27, 2006
    wheni was younger my dad always told me "Never start a fight. Always finish it" an di didn`t figure out he got it from Babylon 5 until i was 14. lol!

PrestoBoy

[23]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 13

It all started with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, then went on to

Angel, Firefly, Charmed, Roswell, Smallville, Battlestar Galactica, Tru Calling, The X-Files, The 4400, Alias, Supernatural and Lost.

trackstarbuck

[24]Aug 27, 2006
    i must now also add Eureka to my list cause it`s like me and my dad`s favorite show other than BSG!

StelingMB

[25]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 5
    Does Knight Rider count as SciFi? If it does add that to my list...

montaigne61

[26]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 4
    Hi everybody, I've never posted on this board before, but I like to write reviews and contribute occasionally. Unlike most of the people here I haven't generally been a big fan of sci-fi shows. I was really into "Star Trek: The Next Generation" when it was on, but now the only Trek I care for is the original. I'm a long-time fan of the original "Star Wars" trilogy. I hadn't watched a sci-fi show for years before "Battlestar Galactica" came around. I don't care for the Stargates, and I wasn't all that impressed by "Eureka." "Babylon 5" was okay, "Firefly" didn't do it for me and I'm not sure if I ever watched an episode of "Farscape." I'm really into BSG (the new one, can't stand the original) because it's simply a good story. Also, Edward James Olmos + human-looking robots = greatness (Yes, I love "Blade Runner." If only it had a decent DVD release).

I do like to read sci-fi. Poul Anderson, Dick, Gibson are good. Here are some of my favorites:

"We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Forget "1984" and "Brave New World." This is a tale of totalitarian government told by a guy who lived through it.

"Solaris" by Stanislaw Lem. An excellent book that spawned two fine films. Also, it may be the key to understanding the show "Lost." Yes, I'm serious.

"Riddley Walker" by Russell Hoban. The gosh-darndest book I've ever read. It takes some getting used to, but it's worth it.

"Watchmen" by Alan Moore and David Gibbons. Yes, it's a "graphic novel," but it's still a heck of a read. Check it out.

"Bears Discover Fire" by Terry Bisson. It's really a compilation of short stories, most with environmental themes. How can you say no to a title like that?

madreinman

[27]Aug 28, 2006
    I've been a sci-fi fan since watching E.T. recently I find myself digging into books by Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, Niven, Bova, Adams, Saberhagen, Norton, Del Rey and a lot more.

vinsfins

[28]Oct 30, 2006
    • level: 11
    Im a reader, a big one.  Once upon a time, when I was young and innocent (HAH!) my eighth grade teacher read to us a book called the War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, and my lifelong love affair with science fiction started.  It culminated with a viewing of an episode of Star Trek TNG called Tapestry, which showed that Science fiction could be artistic and politically relevent, as well as entertaining.  Now I watch Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, all the versions of Star Trek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel.... My tv is pretty much on the Space channel (in Canada)... And in case anyone recognizes it, my all time favourite book in the whole wide universe is Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
    Edited on 10/30/2006 6:20pm

StelingMB

[29]Oct 30, 2006
    Somehow, and pardon me for saying it, but I'm not sure I quailfy Buffy as Science Fiction, as there is absolutely no science involved. I agree it's a great show, but I'd describle it more as action-fantasy!

(Long live Tara Maclay...!)

spaci

[30]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 29

I actually grew up thinking I hated sci-fi.  Then, when I was 13 my Dad tricked me into reading Heinlein's 'Podkayne of Mars' and I was hooked for life.  I'm now a total geek. I watch and love Farscape, Babylon 5, all the Treks, Star Wars, Supernatural, X-Files, Buffy, Angel, Andromeda, Firefly, Seaquest, Earth 2, etc, etc, etc......  Plus of course, all the movies.  And the books.  I read the Trek books, the SW books, the Dark Angel books, the Andromeda books, plus of course, all the non-media stuff.  Heinlein, Asimov, McCaffrey, Moon, Weber, Robinson, Nye, Aspirin, Williams....the list tends to get a little on the long side.  At this point, my sci-fi book catalogue is at about 650 entries.

Yep, I'm a geek.  And proud of it.  I even have a sci-fi tattoo.

123home123

[31]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 55
    StelingMB wrote:

I don't know if it's sci-fi but it does have that zig-zagging glowing red orb effect, just like the old BSG did. Despite rumors that this demonstrated a connection between BSG and Knight Rider, it was added to the car simply because Glen A. Larson thought it looked cool.
    Edited on 10/31/2006 12:25am

StelingMB

[32]Oct 31, 2006
    123home123 wrote:
    StelingMB wrote:

I don't know if it's sci-fi but it does have that zig-zagging glowing red orb effect, just like the old BSG did. Despite rumors that this demonstrated a connection between BSG and Knight Rider, it was added to the car simply because Glen A. Larson thought it looked cool.

My reason for thinking so, would be it's inclussion of a form of Artificial Intelligence in the form of Kit...hence a look in to the future of TechScience...

Had the show had better storylines and a better production quality I think it could have really achieved status as notable amongst the elite...(despite Hasselhoff and his hair!!)

spaci

[33]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 29
    vinsfins wrote:
    And in case anyone recognizes it, my all time favourite book in the whole wide universe is Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

I'll agree with you that it's an incredible book, but it could never qualify as one of my faves, 'cause the entire subject of book burning is utterly horrendous to me. I get nightmares every time I reread it.

garinungkadol

[34]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 3
    I love sci-fi movies and tv but not books, strangely enough. If it's sci-fi I'm pretty much there...

Time Tunnel, Star Trek: TOS, Planet of the Apes, Man from Atlantis, V, Earth 2, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, X-Files, Sliders, Dark Angel and now Firefly, Stargate: Atlantis and definately BSG

wedgeantilles54

[35]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 12

Well lets see my sci-fi background is pretty big so i figure i'll just hit the highlights

Shows

Star Trek (Original, DS9 and Voyager, never really got in TNG), Babylon 5, Stargate SG1, Firefly, Gundam (most of the Gundam Shows), Space Above and Beyound  and of Course BSG both the Orignal and the Current

Movies

Star Wars, Star Trek (all of Um)  Serinity, and i know there are others but i can't think of um right now

Book

Well too many to count but they include classics such as Starship troopers and the martian chronicles

Edited on 10/31/2006 11:08am
    Edited 2 total times.

Nachtfalter

[36]Nov 2, 2006
    • level: 19
    I'm into sci-fi since I was a kid (5 or 6 I guess). I used to watch Star Trek with my grandpa, I think that's when it all started. Although I've read a lot of sci-fi books, I prefer tv series and movies. My first sci-fi movie, as far as I remember; was Logan's Run, and then of course E.T., Star Wars (though not really a fan of it), Tron, Planet of the Apes etc.
    Despite living in Germany, I had the opportunity to watch British shows, notably Blake's 7 and Doctor Who, and I loved them (well, not that I actually understood what they said, but it was still fun), and I never missed an episode of Quantum Leap and Knight Rider (loved KITT, hated David). After a long pause of sci-fi shows on tv (at least in Germany), sci-fi came back, and I watched Star Trek: Next Generation & Co., VR5, Lexx, Farscape, Firefly, Space Above and Beyond, and Babylon 5. I never got into Andromeda and Stargate though. My favourite shows are Farscape, New BSG, Blake's 7, Firefly and Doctor Who, and I think Eureka and Heroes are pretty good too. Oh, and not to forget Red Dwarf, if you count it as sci-fi.

trackstarbuck wrote:
    so, how many of us are female, for the record...???

I am.

Ori_Prior

[37]Nov 2, 2006

I watch Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Lost and Eureka.

I watched Babylon 5, Seaquest, Farscape, Firefly and Surface 

I was never a Star Trek Fan and I like only the origional Star Wars movies, episode three was OK but one and two sucked.

I read scifi, Heinlein, Vonnegut, Chrichton, the Area 51 series.

I recomend Heinlein's "Starship Troopers". It puts the movie to shame, it's so much better and has greater depth to it.

Edited on 11/06/2006 10:33am

123home123

[38]Nov 2, 2006
    • level: 55
    Nachtfalter, just curious: is BSG shown in German or English over there?

AuntPat

[40]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 9
    In grade school I watched Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits, - my first TV dispute was when my mother said, "No more Twlight Zone for you," after a nightmare; I convinced her the show was not to blame (even though it was).  I also watched Lost in Space, My Favorite Martian, Mr. Ed and My Mother the Car.  In junior high I watched Star Trek, Time Tunnel and It's About Time.  My role models were Angelique, Morticia and Endora (Dark Shadows, Adams Family and Bewitched).  I hated Jeannie but watched anyway.  In high school I watched Night Gallery, but my favorite show was Masterpiece Theatre (I still watch), which aired Cold Comfort Farm (which had a few sci-fi elements -- the book has even more and the '90's Schlessenger feature none).  I watched a few episodes of the original BSG and thought they sucked.  Since Star Wars my sci-fi involvement gets to be too extensive to detail.  I have read lots of sci-fi and fantasy, including most all of the classics; I am a total Dickhead. I currently read at least 12 new sci-fi books a year. I've been to a few conventions and belong to two sci-fi clubs.
    Edited on 11/03/2006 7:24pm