Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Chat at Joe's Bar: What is your sci-fi background? (poll added 11/1/07)

How big a science fiction fan are you?

Nachtfalter

[41]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 19
    123home123 wrote:
    Nachtfalter, just curious: is BSG shown in German or English over there?

It's shown in German, but I watch the English version, because I don't like the German voices, and they are pretty different to the originals. Can you imagine Baltar without his accent??? No way!

BTW, all our tv series and movies are shown in German, with the exception of a few shows like Mister Bean and some animes, which have subtitles. In some cases Sci Fi offers the original audio track in addition to the dubbing, for example for Farscape and Lexx.
    Edited on 11/03/2006 10:32am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

phurren2006

[42]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 4

Hi there. I read and I watch. I grew up on Star Trek and Doctor Who but also enjoyed reading all science fiction I could get my hands on. My favourite SF author has always been Heinlein but I do like others too.

These days I like to watch lots of different kinds of SF - Galactica obviously, and I've just started watch Stargate SG1 from the beginning having never seen it. Loads of movies tickle my fancy too - my favourite as a kid was the original Terminator movie but obviously my horizons have broadened since then (not that Term. is a bad movie, just that there's lots of other good stuff out there too).

bmoshier

[43]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 46
    I'm kind of into Sci-Fi.  I know there are some who dwarf my interest.  Here are the TV series I watch (except where noted):

Star Trek, ST: TNG, ST: DS9, ST: VOY, ST: ENG, all the movies, read many of the books, oh, even watched the cartoon version several times.

Star Wars - the movies,Close Encounter of the 3rd Kind - movie, etc.

BSG: The original, the season when they got to Earth, and now 2003

Threshold

7-Days, X-Files, B5, B5: Legends, Farscape, Lost in Space, SG-SG1, SG-Atlantis, Alien Nation, Andromeda, Blake 7, 25 seasons of Dr. Who, Dr. Who (2005), Earth-2, Earth Final Conflict, Eureka, First Wave, The Invaders (at least for awhile - I got tired of the cookie cutter scripts), Red Dwarf, Seaquest (both series), Sliders (and I loved how they completed goals and found new ones), Time Cop, etc.

DarqAli

[44]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 1
    For the record, I am female. Also a reader, not so much a movie or TV person.

There are 3 different but overlapping genera which find appeal to some; Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror.

Put me down for having no interest whatsoever in anything purely "Horror". Some Sci-Fi overlaps, such as "Alien" and some of those are decent.

Fantasy can overlap, and I am a great fan of Tolkien and, say, Peter S Beagle {"The Last Unicorn"}; some very decent films would be more "Fantasy" than Sci-Fi, such as Jim Hensens' The Dark Crystal, or the very modern "The 13 th Warrior". {But there is an overlap.} "Dune" is probably such an over-lap, though I was never interested in that one, either book or movie.

One author I don't see mentioned here is Anne McCaffrey, and she is one whose work seems to somewhat overlap Sci-Fi and Fantasy; her Dragonriders of Pern, for example, which has a lot of really excellent science, but the Dragons are the stuff of fantasy, too. One of my very favorite authors, and some of her short stories are exceptional, as well as novels.

Heinlein ......... You know, the last of his books, "grumbles from the grave" ........ contained the information that he wrote for teenaged BOYS at first {short stories and novels} and only later, adult novels ......... I was DEVESTATED to learn characters like Podkayne of Mars were intended to POKE FUN AT girls who thought they could persue serious careers in space, for I {as a girl reading them} thought he was encouraging ME!}. For any who started with "Stranger in a Strange Land" and think they don't like Heinlein, start with something different ...... try: "The Menace from Earth" {short story} and if you like it, try "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". Or for something simple, try "The Star Beast" and "The Door into Summer". Anyway, lots of so-called "Science Fiction" contains no science and is poor fiction at best. But the best of the lot is some of the best literature ever, and endures the test of time. "1984", "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", "Farenheit 451", "Brave New World". And there are some very delightful little works, like those of Cordweiner Smith, which are wonderful to re-visit over and again, too.

The best TV Sci-Fi has always been Star Trek, and Dr Who for those who like more the "Fantasy" than "Science" aspect. Much of the other stuff is ........ debatable as to quality. And a huge amount of "stuff" marketed as "Sci-Fi" isn't, but is simply "Horror", rather. Not interesting.

Chattermouth

[45]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 6

Started out with Blade Runner, Robocop, the Alien and Predator movies, Star Wars, 2001- A Space Odyssey, and the old 20.000 Leagues Under The Sea. Some Star Trek, but that was too childish for me. B5 picked up the torch, and I loved it all. After there came (not in order): Space- Above and Beyond, DR.Who (only Tom Baker), Day of the Triffids on radio, X-Files, VR.5 (what ever happened to that?) and other random movies. On the animè front I had Patlabor, NGE and Ghost in the Shell.

But I have a much larger list when it comes to books. Frank Herbert's Dune series, the series about SHIP and the planet Pandora, and many other novels. Pretty much everything Philip K Dick has written. Ofcourse Brave New World and 1984 and a LOT of H.P Lovecraft.

On another note, my dear sci-fi friends: I have a memory of a movie where a woman in a space suit makes a space-walk on the ship. While outside, she gets a small tear in her suit, and her head pops like a baloon and colors the helmet visor red. Does anyone know which movie I'm remembering?

Edited on 11/03/2006 1:29pm

dregj

[46]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 12
    galactica (not the 1980 version with dick van dyke`s son)
    doctor who & Star trek when i was a kid
    then babylon 5 as a teenager
    buffy & farscape at uni
    Enterprise and angel at film school
    now firefly/galactica/doctor who

danharr

[47]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 45
    I was never really a scifi person but then one day....... Anyway xfiles, andromeda, starwars, all treks, all gates, dune,  and too many movies to count.  Pretty much it was saturday afternoon tv sci fi cheese that hooked me.

pauzhaan

[48]Nov 4, 2006
    • level: 2
    Heavy duty family background.  My grandpa read to me from Edgar Rice Burroughs books -- John Carter & Dejah Thoris.  I remember seeing Forbidden Planet and Angry Red Planet at the Drive-In.  (I was born in 1952).    I am Sci-Fi!!!

DarkAngle34994

[49]Nov 4, 2006
    • level: 29
    I don't really watch sci fi and the only reason I start watching Battlestar Galactica or SCi fi channel for that matter is becuase of Eureka. Which is my favorite show of all time by the way.

So I have to say

Eureka

Stargate Atlantis

Battlestar Galactica

Charmed

The Twilight Zone

Charmed and The Twilight Zone are consider SCi fi right.
    Edited on 01/03/2007 5:58pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Darkness1234

[50]Nov 5, 2006
    • level: 13
    I am a series Sci-Fi Lover.
    Farscape
    Star Trek (TAS,TNG,DS9,Voyager,Enterprise) & Movies
    Babylon 5 TV & Movies
    Stargate SG1 and Atlantis,
    and many other SciFi shows.

StelingMB

[51]Nov 5, 2006
    • level: 5
    DarkAngle34994 wrote:

Charmed and The Twilight Zone are consider SCi fi right.

In the purest definition, I'm not sure Charmed qualifies. But it is indeed a great show...very well done. I'd call it supernatural fantasy/drama....

ozwitch

[52]Nov 5, 2006
    I haven't yet met a group where the definition of science fiction was not hotly (and sometimes aggressively) debated! Everyone seems to have their own criteria. For me Star Wars is not SF and never will be, but I've told that to SW fans who wanted to tear me apart. Hopefully no one will do this here!

My SF background goes back to my childhood. I grew up on Arthur C. Clarke and Dr. Who. Then I discovered Asimov's Robots and my world exploded and I started reading and watching everything even remotely connected with SF. I married another SF nut, too, which was a marriage condition I might add.

TV: Star Trek (except Voyager which didn't do it for me)
    Invasion (still in deep mourning)
    The Invaders (I am old)
    Twilight Zone
    Outer Limits
    Eureka (of course!)
    UFO (British series - anybody else remember?)
    Firefly
    Man from Atlantis (tks for the memory jogger here - I'd clean forgotten it)
    Dr Who
    SG-1

Movies:
    Blade Runner
    Close Encounters
    2001 (still my favourite of all)
    Alien series
    Predator
    ID4 (yeah I know but I still enjoy it!)
    12 Monkeys
    Sphere
    Pitch Black
    Stargate
    Fifth Element
    I, Robot

Strangely enough when I am mentally challenged after a hard day I usually turn to SF as something to watch as it seems less like hard work than some other genres.

Books
    Anything Asimov, but esp Caves of Steel and Nightfall
    The Orion series by Ben Bova
    Solaris
    Out of the Silent Planet by CS Lewis
    Pern (mostly fantasy but some SF elements and I love it so it's in)
    Dragon's Egg and Starquake by Robert Forward (highly recommended about life on a neutron star)
    Most of Arthur C Clarke
    Ursula Le Guin

Ori_Prior

[53]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 4

ozwitch wrote:
    I haven't yet met a group where the definition of science fiction was not hotly (and sometimes aggressively) debated! Everyone seems to have their own criteria. For me Star Wars is not SF and never will be, but I've told that to SW fans who wanted to tear me apart. Hopefully no one will do this here!

Star Wars as well as Star Trek belong to an inter-genre category called Science-Fantasy or Sci-fa. Star trek is more this genre than Star Wras but they still belong to it. This genre is where a lot of the Science in the show isn't based on anything.

For example - Warp speed isn't possible and there is no force.

however, the transporter is becoming a reality, two guys in Europe were able to transport a microscopic amount of matter accross a lab.

For science Fiction to be Science Fiction there has to be some bases in actual science, whether it's theory or practice.

That's why Battlestar Galactica is such a great show, it is so down to earth for a Sci-fi show. They still use bullets and rockets, massive hull plating instead of shields. The only true sci-fi things about this show are FTL drives, gravity on the ships and the fact that it takes place in space. This show is awesome.

Edited on 11/07/2006 3:14pm

StelingMB

[54]Nov 6, 2006
    Ori_Prior wrote:

ozwitch wrote:

Star Wars as well as Star Trek belong to an inter-genre category called Science-Fantasy or Sci-fa. Star trek is more this genre than Star Wras but they still belong to it. This genre is where a lot of the Science in the show isn't based on anything.

For example - Warp speed isn't possible and there is no force.

however, the transporter is becoming a reality, two guys in Europe were able to transport a microscopic amount of matter accross a lab.

For science Fiction to be Science Fiction there has to be some bases in actual science, whether it's theory or practice.

That's why Battlestar Galactica is such a great show, it is so down to earth for a Sci-fi show. They still use bullets and rockets, there are no shields but rather massive hull plating. The only true sci-fi things about this show are FTL drives and gravity on the ships and the fact that it takes place in space. This show is awesome.

So say we call...BSG is the cream of the crop! Science for the sake of science...

adamgnome5

[55]Nov 8, 2006
    • level: 1
    I was a casual fan of almost all the Star Treks as a kid, and I casually watch them a lot too, since most are easily accessible just on cable TV alone!! I'm also a casual fan of Stargate and Starwars too.

I'm a big fan of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex though, which was inspired by a lot of Sci Fi stuff, especially with cyborgs and everything. A lot of American things inspired it, like it spoofed Hal9000 and other American things dispite being a Japanese anime. It's also very political like BSG.

I love the videogames Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe.

Edited on 11/08/2006 12:20am

ozwitch

[56]Nov 9, 2006
    Ori_Prior wrote:

That's why Battlestar Galactica is such a great show, it is so down to earth for a Sci-fi show. They still use bullets and rockets, massive hull plating instead of shields. The only true sci-fi things about this show are FTL drives, gravity on the ships and the fact that it takes place in space. This show is awesome.

I think BSG is far more SF than just the props and setting above. The main premise is that humans built machines for their own purposes and those machines came back to bite them - which is a quintessential SF theme that goes back as far as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

Edited on 11/09/2006 8:10pm
    Edited 2 total times.

StelingMB

[57]Nov 9, 2006
    Not only is BSG some really great (and resonably plausible) SciFi, but it is some of the best Drama on TV today. The Character struggles, both internal and external, are profound without losing the realism that gives them integrity...

...plus, to boot we get a stress relieving shot of humour now and again!

jamiemacbeth108

[58]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 8

I've been bought up on sci-fi throughout my life (estimates say that i watched star wars when i was 1 or 2) but my obsession started in the last few years sice Firefly and that was when i started to love it.

I like:

Star Wars (only the originals and parts of episode 3)

Firefly

Star Trek: Enterprise

Star Trek: TNG

Star Trek films 1,2, 6-10

Stargate SG-1

Supernatural

Buffy

Angel

Smallville

X-Files

BSG

Invasion

Surface

Eureka

Lost

Futurama

7 Days

Titan A.E.

Others....

and i plan on watching Blade Runner, Stargate the film, Stargate: Atlantis, BSG: Original, STS9, ST:VOY, Caprica (when it comes out), and so many more

AprilFox

[59]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 109
    The very first sci-fi program I watched was Lost In Space, then of course Star Trek came, and I also watched Thunderbirds and Space Ghost, that an alot of Outer Limits, Twilight Zone got me Star Struck, forever. Then came programs like The Invaders, Logan's Run, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica etc. to land me in the present still enjoying and appreciating the many faces and changes of SCI-FI. My favorite Sci-fi movie of all-time is Aliens. I love Close Encounters of the Third Kind as well. Star Wars and Star Trek movies the list goes on. Geez I guess I'm just a Sci-fi addict.

spaci

[60]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 29
    I can remember watching ST: TNG for the first time and asking why that guy was wearing a carborator filter on his face. Less than 2 years later I was watching every ST that came down the line, and was getting in to everything else I could find.