Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Chat at Joe's Bar: What is your sci-fi background? (poll added 11/1/07)

How big a science fiction fan are you?

CaptSurvival

[61]Nov 11, 2006
    • level: 1

I read in another post in this thread "I was breastfed on sci-fi"!

That pretty much describes me.  In respect of tv, when I was young it was Star Trek, UFO and Starlost, and just went on from there.  My favs of all time:

B5, Space Above and Beyond, X-Files, BSG2003, Stargate SG1, Star Trek.   Also honorable mention to Invasion Earth (a british series).  I would add Lost to the list, but not certain if it qualifies as sci-fi.

I suspect there is no sci-fi series in the last 30 years I have not watched, except I never got into Dr Who, or Farscape.  Tried, but failed.

Books, first "adult" book (ie non juvenile reading) I ever read cover to cover was a Cities in Flight collection by James Blish when I was 7 in 1970, and by the time I was 16, I probably had consumed several hundred sci-fi and fantasy.

These days more of the emphasis is on TV for BSG, Heroes, Stargate(s), Jericho, Lost but fav reads are

David Weber (Honor series)

Lois Mcmaster Bujold - Vorkosigan Adventures (especially when I need a pick up with humour - we need a new release as well - its been ages)

John Ringo (both Prince Roger and Posleen War series)

Halo Series (will someone please write a 4th book so we have some closure!!)

William Keith (Warstrider Series)

As none of the above series (except John Ringo) has had a new release in a while, I am living in a state of eternal anticipation for some time!

It goes without saying I have read all the classics of Sci-Fi by all the major authors (I still have several hundred of them in my libary), and some of the better fantasy (ie Thomas Covenant Series, Lord of the Rings, and so on).  I even found recently when unpacking some Tarnsmen of Gor novels by John Norman with printing dates of 1971/72 - no doubt some of the female posters will take me to task on having those!

I am a diehard BSG2003 fan.  NOTHING comes between me and the weekly episode.  My family knows to plan around that hour of TV.

Edited on 11/11/2006 1:00pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

monster_monster

[62]Nov 11, 2006
    • level: 35
    I watch all things scifi.. even the bad stuff.
    My favorite is BSG, and Farscape is my 2nd favorite

adamgnome5

[63]Nov 11, 2006
    I forgot to mention this, but has anyone started with the 1995 animated series ReBoot? It started off as a kiddy show, and by the time the network dropped them in the third season, it took 16 episodes and was really about war and survival, and how it changes people. I used to watch it as a kid and I think it's one of the reasons I like the themes in BSG so much. 

Ori_Prior

[64]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 4

adamgnome5 wrote:
    I forgot to mention this, but has anyone started with the 1995 animated series ReBoot? It started off as a kiddy show, and by the time the network dropped them in the third season, it took 16 episodes and was really about war and survival, and how it changes people. I used to watch it as a kid and I think it's one of the reasons I like the themes in BSG so much. 

REBOOT!!!!!!!!!!! REBOOT REBOOT REBOOT REBOOT!!!!!!!

REBOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I loved that show. It was a shame that it was cancelled.

Edited on 11/14/2006 6:33am

Chattermouth

[65]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 6
    What was lacking in StarTrek was variation. Some aliens have big noses, others big ears, some have extra wrinkles. All aliens being humanoid (and more or less english speaking) got a bit boring. I seem to recall there was an episode featuring insectoids, but only through a fuzzy videolink.

slowblink

[66]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 5
    never been much into TV sci fi, and only really started since torrents came along. (the shows are caned by adds down here in NZ)
    Huge sci fi fan though, started off by star wars, but ASIMOV has been the kicker for me. I can see how just about every sci-fi movie and series is based in the asimovian universe - at least those without aliens (only one book he ever wrote included aliens).

So what do I watch? Lost and BSG and thats it.

123home123

[67]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 55
    Be careful not to promote or facilitate the use of illegal download services on the forum.

myrmeman4

[68]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 6

I'm a huge Scifi channel guy. I have grown up on Sci Fi shows and movies. My favorite are:

• All of the Star Wars Movies
    • Battlestar Galactica (Re-Imagined)
    • Knight Rider (A talking car that is almost invincible is Sci Fi to me)
    • Stargate (Movie and the shows)
    • Dark Angel
    • Seaquest
    • Blade Runner
    • The Running Man
    • Robocop
    • Predator 1 and not so much with 2

r666l

[69]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 3

Now,

I come from country that some time ago was the part of the USSR. Fortunately I spent only first 3 years of my life as a citizen of that Empire.

My first experience of sci-fi came in the early 90-s. Wasn't tv or movies but basically books.

First were some USSR propoganda sci-fi. Communism in the future- idillistic life, noone has to pay money, Earth is united, ruled by communists and so on. Now that was bad.

Then, I grew up and started to get better books. First was Poland's author Stanislav Lem (Solaris)- I still think that the book and movie both were great. Then came ''War of the Worlds'', Asimov, Bradbury, Aldous Huxley and others.

About movies- Star Wars, especially classic ones, Blade Runner (watched only recently), Alian, Aliens, Predator, Stargate the movie and others

As for tv shows- I'm huge SG-1 fan, watched every episode of the show, Atlantis, BSG- miniseries were great and the show seems to be very good too, Farscape- no, Babylon 5- I watched only 1 episode and that was a long time ago. Where I live there aren't many sci-fi shows around. Also Firefly was great, Knight Rider (can call it sci-fi), X-files, Charmed (ok, that's not  sci-fi), recently Jericho, Heroes. Not much from Star Trek- some movies maybe when I was small but no tv show cause as I say TV companies in my country don't love sci-fi. We have Lost, CSI's, House and other but BSG was cancelled after the season 1 and Stargate was only 2 seasons here so I download every sci-fi I can get.

gcswift2

[70]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 9

I was afraid to answer this question because it would show how much of my life I've spent in front of the TV. Honestly I'm suprised I'm not blind yet. Here comes the short list:

• Star Trek (BTW, warp speed may just be possible according to PopSci mag)
    • Star Wars (Ep. 4,5,6, & 3)
    • V (When Diana ate that mouse....... Cool TV)
    • Planet of the Apes
    • Dr Who
    • The 4400 (Discovered it on late night reruns like Star Trek tos)
    • Eureka (I didn't think I would like it....... MAN was I WRONG)
    • The Terminator (1 & 2; didn't see 3)
    • Quantum Leap (Al is cool on BSG)
    • Earth 2 (What a great show)
    • Babylon 5 (I love that show)
    • X Files
    • Land of the lost (Saturday mornings haven't been the same since that went off the air)
    • Space Above and Beyond (The reason I joined the USMC)
    • Alien & Aliens (With 3 they went to the well 1 time too many)
    • Earth Final Conflict
    • Sliders
    • Mystery Science Theatre (When I think of it I )
    • Cleopatra 2525 (Scifi eyecandy... it should be well noted I hated Herc and Xina)
    • Andromeda (I still have Lexa Doig as My Wallpaper)
    • FireFly/Serenity (Now that was great writing)
    • Stargate SG1 (Not Atlantis)
    • Seaquest (The new one not the old one)
    • Buck Rogers (Nuff Said)
    • The Hulk (Gamma Rays are science so it qualifies)
    • Mutant X (If the Hulk Qualifies so does this)
    • Farscape
    • Knight Rider (Yes, It is SciFi)
    • AirWolf
    • Mantis (It was doomed to failure but it was fun for the 2 weeks it was on)
    • Aeon Flux (Ms Theron did better than expected, but I still prefer the Animated version)
    • Transformers (Kinda SciFi)
    • Robotech (Definitly SciFi)
    • The Watchmen the Graphic Novel (Now they should make a movie about THAT)
    • Alien Nation (The Movie too, but the TV show especially)
    • The $6,000,000 Man (The Chick too, but Steve Was the MAN)
    • Dark Angel (James Cameron plus Jessica Alba)
    • Misfit of Science (I bet noone remembers that one)

There was a show where this dude drove an 18 wheeler that the cab change into a Helicopter and He had a cool car in back. It lasted Maybe 2 months and I cannot remember the name of it but that was scifi if you count Knight rider and AirWolf like I do. Anyway this is all that comes to mind right now.

Geeks of the world Unite!!!!

Edited on 11/19/2006 6:21pm

gcswift2

[71]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 9
      Oh yeah BattleStar Galactica (Both), (The New one better than the First however)
    Edited on 11/19/2006 11:39am

Splitatom

[72]Nov 29, 2006

My measurement of good scifi is based on whether I am willing to record episodes and watch them over and over again and buy DVD sets.  I was weened on Star trek (original) and have them on tape, but not willing to buy the DVDs. . I also stood in line on the opening of the original star wars, but have never recorded any of the movies and would never buy them.  When ST TNG came out I set my VCR and watched every episode over and over again....just like the original, BUT I am not willing to buy the DVDs.  I watched Deep Space 9,, Voyager and Enterprise only when I happend to be home when they were on, but never considered taping any.  Stargate SG1 is another story...I loved the movie (bought it) then set my VCR when it became a series.....I signed up for Showtime, just for the show.  After years of watching the tapes over and over again, I started buying the DVD sets as they came out....still doing it, but lately it is rare for me to watch the dvds as often as I used to.

Now to BSG.  Although I watched the original series, I always thought it was a bit childish, but a great underlying story and idea.  That robot dog was even more irritating than all the muppits in star wars.  The New BSG is everything I wanted the old one to be.....it is the most intense "true science fiction" I have ever seen.  (BTW, I do not consider star wars science fiction.)  I now set my DVD recorder and bought the DVDs BOAD-R (Beofre Owning A DVD -Recorder).  I make  a real effort to be home when it's on, but since it replays later that night, is On Demand, and I make a recording......I can miss it if I want.

PS....I recently discovered Fire Fly dues to the Serenity movie and rented all the episodes....I may buy it.

Bottom line: Star Trek, STNG, Stargate SG1, and BSG are the only worthy Sci Fi shows in my book ...and each one is better than the one listed before it.

remshell

[73]Nov 30, 2006
    I grew up in England, so my first TV sci-fi was Doctor Who - starting with Patrick Troughton, and onwards through Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. Because of Gerry Anderson there was little US influence on my telly watching - so it was Captain Scarlet, Fireball XL5, Stingray, UFO, Space 1999. And don't let me get started on Quatermass, Space Cops, Blakes 7...yep, bit sad I know. The original Star Trek used to get repeated almost on continual loop throughout the 1970's but it had little influence.

It was books though that provided most of my sci-fi. Films or telly rarely match books. I started on pulp - EE Smith, Robert Heinlein, and even the German Perry Rhodan. Then Clarke and Asimov...Silverberg, Zelazny, Aldiss, LeGuin...(yawn) For some reason I read mainly US authors but watched UK-derived TV sci-fi. Star Wars and Aliens changed things an awful lot. I remember watching the UK premier of Blade Runner in 1982 (I think) in Londons Leceister Square (shocking to think Edward Olmos played a small but significant part in that movie).

These days I read very little SF. The quality has dropped hugely (I guess like music there's a limit to how many ways you can come up with original ideas). I read Gregory Benford (I've stop and started a script for 'In The Ocean Of Night' a dozen times) Joe Haldeman (someone really does need to make a movie of 'The Forever War') Christopher Priest (The Prestige etc)...and thats about it.

Unfortunately I don't quite have the time to watch much TV these days - BSG is the only thing that doesn't come over as even mildly insulting. I watched NCIS for a while but the product placement started to become embarrassing. Lost...lost its way, and 24 just got boring. The snag is that most modern TV doesn't appeal to us older gits - my wife could guess the conclusion by the end of the first commercial break of many episodes of CSI, so we lost interest in it. In the UK the best thing on telly for quite a few years have been the new Doctor Who series (Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant) and a fantastic sci-fi series called "Life On Mars" with a modern Manchester detective sent back in time to the early 1970's.   

I was a big fan of Firefly, before the spectre of Fox Stupidity interrupted it in mid-flow. I've not found anyone who has seen Firefly - either when it was broadcast or on DVD who didn't like it. There must have been someone, senior execs working for Rupert Murdoch, who decided it was loathed. The excuse of it being cancelled in the face of tthe popularity of reality shows just doesn't wash.

I have the pilot, Season 1, and the the Season 2 boxed set of BSG and they get aired almost on continual loop. The only thing I have seen remotely like it was a show called "Above & Beyond" in the 1990's. I never watched the original 1970's BSG (it used to be shown on Saturday evenings) though I did watch Buck rogers Now and then (about the same level really). 

SyFyMichael

[74]Nov 30, 2006
    I have been a sci-fi fan my entire life.

I grew up on TOS, started watching TNG when it premiered when I was 11, and continued on with DS9, Voyager and even Enterprise.

There were other shows, too, like Quantum Leap, Knight Rider, Earth 2, and such.

But NOT B5 or anything like that.

playwriter

[75]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 10
    My husband got me interested in this show. He's a big SF fan. He said, "Watch this show with me -- I think you'll really like it." This was a few eps into Season 1. And I got hooked. Not only on this, but on other well written SF shows. I'm almost thru Season 4 of Farscape, thanx to Netflix. And I watch Stargate Atlantis now, too. I plan to watch B5 after I'm done with F'scape.

MichaudMR

[76]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 17

I've really enjoyed this thread, its' brought back some cherished memories. Hear's my list, in no particular order:

Most of: Isaac Asimov, R.A. Hienlien, A.C. Clarke, H.K. Dick, Ray Bradbury, Some Stephen King, (but most of his material is not my cup o’ tea), Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Douglas Adams, Kurt Vonnegut, Anne McCaffrey, Tolkien(?), Janissaries – Jerry Pournelle,Ringworld – Larry Nivan, and a bunch of BAMS (Bug-Eyed Monster Stories) masquerading as SciFi in many venues.

Star Wars (Movies, nothing in print)

Blade Runner

Soylent Green (the book was better)

Robocop (the sequels not so much)

Alien (the first one, couldn’t stand the rest)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Cocoon

2001: A Space Odyssey

Dune (both in print and several TV and movie versions)

Stargate (loved the movie with Kurt Russell, never got into SG1. Richard D. Anderson struck me as such a hypocrite with his MacGyver anti-firearm crusade nonsense morphing into his carrying a 9mm MP5 around in every episode.  The result is I never picked up the storyline and don't want to catch up with it.

Terminator (gotta love the Govenator)

Running Man

Aeon Flux

Soldier – Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, Starring Kurt Russell

Starman

The Last Starfighter

The Fifth Element

Planet of the Apes (loved the movies, hated the series)

Flash Gordon (1980) Too funny

Star Trek (Everything in Movies and TV, much of what’s been printed)

Thunderbirds (hey, I grew up on it)

Babylon 5

Dark Angel

Firefly

Witchblade

Eureka

Space: Above and Beyond

Twilight Zone (the original, not all of them)

BSG (Both old and new)

Space 1999, and UFO (got to love them British),

last but not least Dr. Who, just about all of it from the 70’s on up, although I like the new series much better.

xxxBEASTxxx

[77]Dec 8, 2006
    • level: 22
    i was never into scifi when i was younger, the only scifi show i watched was the x-files. however, in the past few years, i have been catchin up on popular scifi and have really like most of it. i rented all the star wars movies and liked the old ones, the new ones were *okay*. i never watched star trek, and i doubt i ever will. as for writtten scifi, i have read asimov and others, but its hard to find pieces of good quality.

blackeyedgurl

[78]Dec 15, 2006
    • level: 7

I was born and raised on Sci-Fi. My mom's favorite book in the whole world is Andre Norton's Starman and her favorite movie is the original War of the Worlds. My dad is a trekkie, and grew up reading 50's Sci-fi books and such. So I was sort of bound to end up here.

For TV I own:

Battlestar Galactica (the new version only)
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Angel
    Dark Angel
    Dead Like Me
    Wonderfalls
    Roswell
    Farscape
    Firefly (Which I recommend above all others, to me it's as good as BSG, just different)

I watch(ed):

Stargate SG1
    Eureka
    Heroes
    Stargate Atlantis
    Dr Who (original and new)
    X-Files (if the DVDs were mroe affordable, I'd buy it)
    Carnivale (again with the DVD cost)
    Lost (although not as much anymore)
    Surface
    Andromeda
    The 4400
    American Gothic
    Hex (BBC)
    Charmed (only occasionally)
    Invasion
    Mystery Science Theater
    Night Stalker (original and new)
    Strange (BBC)
    Supernatural
    Touching Evil
    Earth 2
    Space, Above and Beyond
    Cleopatra 2525 (occasionally I've been known to watch anything)
    Babylon 5
    Some Star Trek (I do show horses with William Shatner though, and he's a really nice guy)
    And I am sure there are others...

For movies, most of my favorites are Sci-Fi in nature:
    Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
    Blade Trinity
    Underworld series
    Bladerunner
    I can't even think of the rest...

All I know is I am Sci-Fi geek through and through. I love Sci-fi, especially when the fact that it's sci-fi is irrelevant. Some shows are about space and others are dramas that just happen to be in space (ex: BSG or Firefly). I love both!

expatriot

[79]Dec 15, 2006
    • level: 53

Absolutely love Scifi, have done ever since I can remember

Watched (in random order):

• Dr Who (old and new)
    • Captain Future
    • Blake's 7
    • Star Trek
    • Sapphire and Steel (very spooky)
    • The Tripods
    • Space 1999
    • Buck Rogers
    • Day of the Triffids
    • The Hulk (don't make me angry....)
    • Earth Star Voyager (too short-lived )
    • Star Wars (mainly the three original ones)
    • V (anyone remember the birth of the baby ??? )
    • Planet of the Apes (movies and tv series)
    • Weird Science
    • Babylon 5
    • X Files
    • Sliders
    • Stargate
    • Seaquest
    • Mutant X (If the Hulk Qualifies so does this)
    • Knight Rider
    • AirWolf
    • Transformers
    • Misfits of Science (copied from an ealier post, but I do remember it, big fan of Courtney Cox )
    • Buffy
    • Angel
    • Battlestar Galatica (old and new, of course)

Read most of the classics, but absolutely love, love and love  Dune

ElJorro

[80]Dec 15, 2006
    • level: 7
    I am really into sci-fi television. I watch as much as I can. I watch Star Trek DS9, ST:TNG, A little Star trek the original series, a little ENT, I have seen VOY but not in a long time. I also try to catch every episode I can of Farscape. I own almost every Stargate SG-1 DVD, and I watch Atlantis obssesively as well. The same is with BSG. I have seen a little of Doctor Who and Andromeda. I also really liked Tremors, why did they cancel it? I am also interested in Eureka. I also like Tripping the rift. Megas Xlr. I have also watched many Sci-Fi animes, such as Outlaw star, Big O, Cowboy Bebop, a little evangelion, Blue gender, Gundam Series, Star Wars Clone Wars and Ghost in the shell. As for movies, Star Wars (all of them) Star trek, The matrix, Back to the future, Species #1, Apollo 13, Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds, lost in space, I robot, Men in Black, My favorite martian, Space Cowboys, October Sky, E.T. and many others. As for Books: the star wars books, Asimov, I couldnt read Brave New World, Jules Verne, Yolen, Hitchhikers guide, tripods, the original war of the worlds, Years best science fiction short story collection, Winds of mars, Akiko on the planet Smoo, Crichton, 2001 a space odyssey,  Dune(of course), Bradbury, Ender, and so much more, I think I am a well rounded science fiction eficianado.