Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Chat at Joe's Bar: What is your sci-fi background? (poll added 11/1/07)

How big a science fiction fan are you?

MichaudMR

[101]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 17
    Diversity is what it's all about my friends, good to know you all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Revolos55

[102]Feb 23, 2007
    • level: 33
    mdfain wrote:
    trackstarbuck wrote:
    so, how many of us are female, for the record...???

add one more female to the total

Ditto

Eerazor

[103]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 4
    My background would and should be classified as ultra nerdy:

Star Wars (including all the books), Star Trek (all the series, no books), Farscape, Babylon 5, X-Files, Dr. Who, Serenity, Firefly, 2001 (film/books), BSG (including the original which had its strengths towards the end I am sad enough to say), Surface, and basically any other good book to read.

I would even go as far as saying I dont just read and watch SciFi but I also try and write scifi every now and then. Got a first novel written, part of a series like, but not published yet (probaly too busy making sure all the bits and pieces fit in well enough to continue in a high standard rather than par scifi) which is one of the reasons BSG appeals to me so much.

Anyway, thats me, amongst many other things.

tycho32

[104]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 4
    My mother introduced me to Doctor Who when I was young.  I havent really watched it since but all I remember is "Exterminate Exterminate".  I love anything Star Wars including the books.  Though I dont consider the new movies to be anywhere close to the old ones.  I have watched every Star Trek except for the one with Janeway.  I loved original Battlestar Galactica, Earth 2, Greatest American Hero, Highlander, X-Files, Surface, Heroes, Seaquest, Quantum Leap, Space Above and Beyond, Invasion.  Firefly and Serenity were some of the best sci-fi in recent years.  My books collections include large amounts of Heinlein and some of the first books I read in elementary school were Douglas Adams.  Almost any sci-fi movie that comes out I will go see.  I guess you could consider me a nerd--my wife certainly does.  My wife is pregnant and if its a boy its Logan James (Wolverine)  if its a girl Mara Jade.  I am proud of my love of sci-fi.

MDB316

[105]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 13

I suppose you could call me a sci fi nerd. I like Star Trek (TOS and the occasional TNG) The original Star Wars and plenty of other SF films.

Other TV i like is

Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, Blakes 7, Farscape, Quantum Leap, Space A&B, BSG, Buff, Angel, Transformers amongst others

jezzasparky

[106]Mar 13, 2007
    • level: 3

Off the top of my head

TV - Farscape, Stargate (SG1 and Atlantis), Battlestar Galactica (both old and new), Red Dwarf, Doctor Who, Torchwood,

Films - Star Wars, Stargate, Tron, 2001 Space Odyssey, Batteries Not Included, Close encounters..., men in black, superman, xmen... (the list goes on...and on)

also love the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and Dirk Gently books

Oh yeah - another female for the list

Edited on 03/13/2007 4:28am

FreakyDroid

[107]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 12
    I guess my love for the sci-fi genre started when I was 8, when I read my first sci-fi book, 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea written by Jules Verne. He became my favorite writer (and still is) and since then, I've read every book ever written by him. Other favorite books: The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe, Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin, Dune by Frank Herbert, 1984 by George Orwell, 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke, almost every book by H. G. Wells and many many others. I also read comics: DC and Star Wars.

Favorite TV Shows: Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, SG-1, SG-A, Birds of Prey, Eureka, Heroes, Smallville, The 4400, Babylon, Invasion ....

Favorite Movies: 12 Monkeys, Dark City, 13th Floor, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and some sci-fi classics from the 50's, 60's and the 70's.

nightbird47

[108]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 1
    "We" is a truely great book. I read it in college. I will never forget the pure blue sky unmarred by clouds. Its really about the erasing of the individual in society.

It was one of the books from that class I never forgot.

Nightbird

nightbird47

[109]Mar 21, 2007

I think I discovered sciffi when I was about twelve.  It was Arthur Clarke's book A Fall of Moondust.  I read all his books and short stories and in 12th grade wrote a ten page analysis of everything he wrote for an English class.

I remember Star Trek tos very very fondly.  I saw it as a fifteen year old in its first run.  My friend and I did mini plays on out tape recorder and traded with another friend.  We didn't know we were part of fandom.

I watched all the other scifi shows that came on after, Space 1999, the one with the aliens attacking that had the women on the moon with blue hair, and of course Starlost.  Anything SF.

I attended Equicon 1 in LA, the second ever trek convention with the infamous fire clearance problem as they sold about three times the memberships as they had room for people.

I've been going to conventions since the Denver Worldcon in 1982.  I've only missed a couple of Loscons since then.  I'm also a filker and love costumes.

I love the Star Wars movies, and Close Encounters, and most of the films of that time.  I've seen Alien a few times, but never watched *that* scene.

My most recent favorites as movies are the Lord of the Rings movies, the Harry potter movies, V for Vendetta and War of the Worlds.  Somehow both of the last two got the whole feeling just right.

I was immediately enthralled by Galactica.  I loved DS9 and have long considered it my favorite show ever, but maybe its tied with Galactica now.  Haven't written any fanfic for Galactica yet, but there's time.

I love the point of view of fans, especially those who throw room parties at conventions.  Where else can you throw a party with a tub full of soda, some food and old movies on the tv, and have lots of people pass through?

One of the things I like best about Galactica is the death/rebirth of society theme.  You had professions, infrastructure, laws, homes, and an expectation that tomorrow would be more or less like today.  Now you have people in power who do what they want, and people who's only luck was surviving who do what they're told.  Its very feudal.

I can't wait until we find out if the spoilers are right for Crossroads pt 2 and its going to be a really long wait until January.

nightbird47

[110]Mar 21, 2007
    Revolos55 wrote:
    mdfain wrote:
    trackstarbuck wrote:
    so, how many of us are female, for the record...???

add one more female to the total

Ditto

Make that one more. Forgot that. Maybe its late.

dezigner4web

[111]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 17

Most call me Dez or Dezzie,

I adore a good Sci-fi movie or series on tv. Key word "good". Truth be said about me, I have a rather short attention span when a series first comes out. Boy, if those writers/directors don't have my attention right away forget about giving it another chance. I'm selective. I'm outta there.

What do I look for in an episode worthy of my hour is an original storyline? Engaging character development, continuity, promise of brilliant actors, a storyline that eventually goes somewhere rather than heavy filler -- Hey, I told you I was picky.

Personally I love a good Joss Whedon production; Firefly, Buffy, Angel, not necessarily in that particular order. Joss isn't afraid to marinate the story a bit, let things simmer at a slow and even pace. What's the rush after all? Good storytelling takes time.

And he's all about the shock factor. The roller coaster ride of emotions we feel when we are engaged in his productions. A good Buffy or Angel episode can lift your spirit with delight and then in 1 trailing episode, he's got us in some hell dimension feeling totally despaired that our beloved characters are never going to be okay again. And sometimes they most definitely are not. I never cried more while clinching my remote control.

*Sniff, why Wes*

But I also rather enjoy vintage Star Wars, Star Trek, or Next Gen episodes. And I am currently having a love affair with Heroes and Lost. Okay, I'm sucked into the guessing aspect of the show. I rather like to be teased. I want to learn just enough to keep wondering what the frack is going on -- PROVIDED these teaser episodes eventually manifest into a reasonable explanation for what the heck I've been guessing about for "X" amount of seasons. Then it's good. Really good. Really, really g-o-o-o-o-o-o-d.

But I swear if Lost is just 1 long dream Vincent the dog is having, I'm gonna blow a cog!

AND I adore BSG in case that wasn't assumed already ...

So that's my sci-fi contribution. I'm Dez. Another female poster here at tv.com.

Now where's the beer?

Edited on 03/21/2007 7:23am
    Edited 3 total times.

123home123

[112]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 56
    Beer? It's strictly BYOB on this board.

aakeemz

[113]Mar 22, 2007
    • level: 7
    I like good Sci-fi ,good script and good acting. The shows that I admired the most the Star Trek television franchise,Quantum Leap,Sliders,and now BattlestarGalactica and Smallville.  I like to have the big climax at the end of a series or season so I looking in anticipation this seasons finale of Battlestar.
    Edited on 03/22/2007 11:05am

martymcflyjb

[114]Mar 28, 2007
    • level: 10
    I have probably been a sci-fi fan longer than any other specific genre. My father introduced me to Star Trek and other sci-fi when I was young. I actually took a 3 hour course on Sci-Fi film & literature in college. We watched many films and read Lewis Space Trilogy. I do prefer true, intelligent science fiction that uses the "fiction" to discuss themes & questions of society and ethical issues. Themes like: Can that which man creates have a soul? Which is clearly a prominent theme of BSG and also in films like Blade Runner (one of my favorites), A.I., Metropolis, etc. I also really like religious themes in sci-fi. I really love Herbert's Dune series for this reason, and BSG. So Battlestar really falls in line with the perfect form of science fiction for me. I even prefer it over Star Trek because of the greater emphasis on a serialized story format.

TV: Star Trek, Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager (my favorite Trek), Roswell, The 4400, Dune, Children of Dune, The Twilight Zone

Movies: Blade Runner, Alien, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Gattaca, Star Trek: Generations, Star Trek: First Contact, Dune, Minority Report, The Island, Star Wars

tripping82

[115]Mar 28, 2007
    • level: 14
    martymcflyjb wrote:
    I have probably been a sci-fi fan longer than any other specific genre. My father introduced me to Star Trek and other sci-fi when I was young. I actually took a 3 hour course on Sci-Fi film & literature in college. We watched many films and read Lewis Space Trilogy. I do prefer true, intelligent science fiction that uses the "fiction" to discuss themes & questions of society and ethical issues. Themes like: Can that which man creates have a soul? Which is clearly a prominent theme of BSG and also in films like Blade Runner (one of my favorites), A.I., Metropolis, etc. I also really like religious themes in sci-fi. I really love Herbert's Dune series for this reason, and BSG. So Battlestar really falls in line with the perfect form of science fiction for me. I even prefer it over Star Trek because of the greater emphasis on a serialized story format.

TV: Star Trek, Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager (my favorite Trek), Roswell, The 4400, Dune, Children of Dune, The Twilight Zone

Movies: Blade Runner, Alien, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Gattaca, Star Trek: Generations, Star Trek: First Contact, Dune, Minority Report, The Island, Star Wars

Not a Stargate fan? Huh?

martymcflyjb

[116]Mar 28, 2007
    • level: 10
    tripping82 wrote:
    Not a Stargate fan? Huh?

I like the movie okay. The episodes I've seen of the TV show were awful. Great example of bad sci-fi.

kalexan

[117]Apr 3, 2007
    Were do I start??

Loved sci-fi fantasy stuff since an early age, from watching lots of it on TV

The Avengers
    Sapphire and Steel
    Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (probably colour re-runs)
    Star Wars
    Re-runs of Crash Corrigan matinees (like Buck Rogers)
    Logans Run (anyone remember the TV series?)
    Original BSG
    Buck Rogers (bidee bidee bidee)
    Star Trek from new to old (DS9 being the critical point)

Then onto X-Files and Red Dwarf

Space Above and Beyond (a huge loss it only ran one season)
    Seaquest (had it's good moments)

To some of the newer series (though I'm getting more picky the older I get).

BSG
    Lost
    Firefly

Probably missed lots out, I'm just glad sci-fi still gets the time it deserves in the TV schedules.

WVUChrisF

[118]Apr 29, 2007
    • level: 14
    I love me some Sci-Fi. The list is huge so I won't put everything.

TV/Movies
    Firefly
    BSG
    Space Above and Beyond
    SeaQuest
    Star Trek
    Star Trek TNG
    Star Trek DS9
    Some Star Trek Voyager
    Stargate SG-1
    Stargate Atlantis
    Heroes (not sure if its quite Sci-Fi but I'm gonna put it)
    Star Wars (all of them)

Books
    Anything by Robert Heinlein
    Asimov
    Ender Books

Theres probably more I'm missing.

PunkNerd5

[119]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 24

My Sci-Fi background:

Star Trek (all series, all movies, some novels [I've read 20+ from varying series])

Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis

Smallville

Firefly

Battlestar Galactica

The 4400

The X-Files

Lost (If you call it sci-fi...)

Torchwood premieres here in Australia tomorrow night, so it'll be interesting to watch, although I could never sit through Dr Who.

As well as numerous sci-fi movies, my favourites include:

I, Robot

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

The Stargate movie

Sunshine

and many others I can't think of at the moment. I've been watching sci-fi since I was 7, and I'm 19 now. Its what has got me interested in science, and I'm currently undertaking a bachelor of science!

LostZuko

[120]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 18

Been watchin SciFi since I was born. For as long as I can remember my father used to make me watch which I fell in love with though:

Star wars

Star Trek Films

Star Trek The Next Generation

Stargate The Movie

X Files

Stargate SG1

Stargate Atlantis F

arscape

Firefly

Battlestar Galactica (Original and New)

Smallville

Supernatural

Heroes

Roswell

Dune

Children of Dune

2001 A Space Odyssey

The 4400

Other things too, just do not feel like listing.

Edited on 06/17/2007 9:21pm