Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Chat at Joe's Bar: What is your sci-fi background? (poll added 11/1/07)

How big a science fiction fan are you?

merdiolu

[121]Jul 22, 2007
    • level: 7

I watch sci-fi since my childhood. I am very picky through. There are lots of productions I like or adore and many I strongly dislike. In tv my favorites are Star Trek TNG ( first sc-fi I watched ) , Star Trek TOS , DS9 , Quantum Leap , BSG TOS , Babylon 5, Alien Nation , Farscape and BSG TNS.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DV99

[122]Jul 22, 2007
    • level: 3
    I started with Star Trek DS9 and that was it reallt till BattleStar Galactica I wacthed a couple of the other Star Treks but to me they wern't the standard of Deep Space nine. I think BattleStar is on Par with DS9 on my Favooruite Sci-Fi show but I also like Supernatural if that counts because i know its a bit more Horror than Sci-Fi and I started the X-Files a couple of moths ago wghich is also pretty good but for me the best ones i've wacthed are DS9 and BattleStar Galactica.

wedgeantilles54

[123]Aug 5, 2007
    • level: 12

I Know i've already put up my background in here somewhere, but i've been thinking and i've come to wounder how exactly does one define something as sci-fi, cause there are alot of things i've seen on tv or in movies that could be construed as sci-fi by some people but others don't see it in that light. One particular area that this applies to is alternate history which some see as sci-fi but othere claim isn't alos there is alot of anime that could be seen as sci-fi as well as anime, but alot of people claim that it can't be sci-fi cause its anime.

I guess the point i'n trying to make is that everyone could have some background in Sci-fi weather they really realize it or not, depending on how they look at it.

The one thing i've noticed is that alot of people who become big fans of BSG have not seen any of the other big name or classic sci-fi shows, or read any of the classics out there, but there are also alot of people who have and are big fans of the show too, which yet agian shows how good the show is that it can draw such a broad and diverse audince.

Lei_K

[124]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 11
    I started with the usual combination of Star Wars and Star Trek... started with TNG, then moved on to DS9 and Voyager. I was always a diligent X-Files fan. Watched Firefly and a bit of Farscape while it was on, then the 4400 and BSG.

Idbeolderifiwas

[125]Aug 16, 2007
    • level: 20
    Of course Star Wars was my first Sci-Fi exposure... I never really got into Star Trek until just recently, but that's besides the point. Before BSG, I watched Firefly, and shortly after started watching BSG.

MrBovineOrdure

[126]Sep 20, 2007
    • level: 6

Hmmmmm where to start?

My first exposure to Sci-fi was the original Outer limits. Cool stories if not a little above the hea, d of the6 year old I was. Voyage to the bottom of the sea never really captured me, but the early Lost in space did. Well, until they started meeting huminoid carrots. I guess my favorites were when they splurged on the special effects and decided to leave whatever planet they were on.

The original Star Trek series was what captured me immediatly. Great stories *WITH ADULT ROLE MODELS!*. You see, I never liked the shows where they had 6 year olds who were already familiar with Calculus. I just couldn't relate to them They were unbelievable and beyond geeks!. John Robinson, Don West, Kirk, Spock, Dr McCoy, Scotty were all people I wanted to grow up to be. It's not It's no accident that I became a programmer then later a system's administrator. Spock had a lot to do with that. See how each saves the day.

Kirk beats people up and gets the snot beaten out of him.

Spock punches a few buttonns on the computer, says the chances for success are 3,032,928 to 1 and his advice saves the day....

Episode 4 of Star wars came in my first year of college. It blew me away! This is where I started hitting the same movie at the theater multiple times.

Battlestar Galactica was good but it was too family oriented for my jaded teen-age years. It included cute kids (ugggggghhhhh) but the special effects and the overall story arc kept me interested. Then what did they do with BS 1980? MORE KIDS. AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

By this time I was reading Larry Niven, Asimov, Arthur C Clark, and Hienlien

I would take the day off to see any opening of the Star Trek movies. I wasn't very impressed with Star Trek TNG (Wesley the wonder-geek killed that for me) but the show grew on me. At the time it was the only act on TV. DS9 kept me going but didn't get REALLY good until the final couple of seasons. Voyager had potencial to get back to the roots of "Going where no-one went before" but they took their baggage of "being a perfect person" with them. I LOVED enterprise! They finally did it right, but viewership went south.

I never went into fantacy or slasher pictures. I was happy with Silent Running, but outside of the genre, I became interested inMasterpiece Theater's "I. Claudius". It's not Sci fi, but it introduced me tomultiple story arcs and completely solid writing which prepared me for....

BABYLON 5. One of the best TV shows on for it's time. Still is.If a kid shows up in his story, it's either a very small part, or he's offed by the 4th act. (I like kids, just not in my Sci-Fi)

Stargate SG1 really captured me from the very first, themovie and the series were absolutly great and great fun!I think less of Stargate Atlantis though. Perhaps the retirement of Dr. Wier will help, but then again I'm dissapointed by the sensless killing of Dr. Beckett.

The new Battlestar Galactica rivals Babyon 5 in writing and exceeds it in special effects!

Mr BO

sharissunmee

[127]Sep 21, 2007
    • level: 2
    I grew up with Star Wars, also watched Star Trek TNG, X-Files, sometimes Buffy, really really loved Firefly...I wish they'd bring it back!

montogma23

[128]Oct 16, 2007
    • level: 6
    for me my sci-fi craze started with star wars.Then it went to star trek the next generation, poltergist the legacy, buffy the vampire slayer, angel,charmed, the 4400, stargate sg-1, stargate atlantis, battlestar galactica,
    supernatural,heroes, and i'm now getting into farscape and eureka. I am a huge sci-fi geek. My favorite books are harry potter,lord of the rings trilogy, the dark is rising sequence, and the chronicles of narnia.

AuntieMame

[129]Oct 28, 2007

Another female nerd checking into the sci-fi board. My grandfather introduced me to sci-fi with Podkayne of Mars. I was broken hearted to read up-thread that Heinlein was making fun of us girls, as I know grandpa gave it to me for fun and empowerment. But, reams have been written about Heinlein's attitude toward women - mostly that he expected women to be sex-pot babymakers with brains enough for a decent conversation. That said, in the early 1980's, while reading Heinlein's Friday, he described a computer that had access to every book every published, concerts and data. I immediately wanted a computer like that and in that at least, science fiction has become science fact.

BSG 2003 is in the top TV Sci Fi ever. Other favorites include:

Firefly and Serentiy

Buffy

Angel

Solaris

Babylon 5

Taken

Star Trek

Star Wars

Dresden Files

V

Lost

Hereos and many others already mentioned.

I had a nostalgic buzz reading that another poster remembers Land of the Lost from Saturday mornings in the seventies - those sleestaks used to scare the bejeeezus out of me.

I am a huge reader in many areas, but sci-fi is a perennial favorite. I like apocalyptic, dystopian and speculative themes best and favorites include: Orwell, Huxley, Atwood, Le Guin, C.S. Lewis, Phillip Pullman, Nancy Kress, Connie Willis, Heinlein, Asimov, Niven, Orson Scott Card, Elizabeth Hand, Elizabeth Moon, Wells, King, Verne. For space opera and philosophy for the ambitious reader, might I recommend Doris Lessing's Canopus in Argos: Archives which beins with Shikasta - an amazingly deep read.

I would appreciate any suggestions people have to offer as well, in books, movies or TV. I tried Farscape, but bogged down in the first few episodes - should I try again? Nice to be here.

Edited on 10/28/2007 8:51pm

ebony_kunoichi

[130]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 13

I am a sci-fi dork and proud of it. I try to keep it on the DL, but hey who cares? I fell in love with Sci-fi because of star wars and a wrinkle in time. I also love to read a lot, so I read a lot of fantasy as a kid. I write as well. Yes, it has been hard being a black chick and sci fi geek who loves video games too, but as I grew older I stopped caring about trying to be cool or accepted and just cared about being me. I'm still a foxy chick, but I have a geek side to me.

I watch Dr. Who, Star trek(TOS and TNG only!), Stargate(all of them), All kinds of Anime, Torchwood, Buffy, charmed, Farscape!! I loved that show. Never watch the original BS, not my thing. Love lost and heroes too, but BSG is my fav show on tv. I have a man that doesn't share my love of sci-fi, but im working on him!

123home123

[131]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 55
    Glad to see all the women posting here. I recently read an interview with Jane Krakowski where she posted her personal tips for men. One of the items read something like "No, we don't want to watch Battlestar Galactica this weekend!" Seems like she's never seen the show and that attitude seems to be common among many of the Emmy voters unfortunately. But the members here prove that this is far from a typical "he-man, woman-haters club" action-adventure space show. Any of you want to send Ms. Krakowski an email and ask her to reconsider her opinion of the show?
    Edited on 10/29/2007 6:34pm

AuntieMame

[132]Oct 31, 2007
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:

I am a sci-fi dork and proud of it. .....Yes, it has been hard being a black chick and sci fi geek who loves video games too, but as I grew older I stopped caring about trying to be cool or accepted and just cared about being me. ......

Hey, some of the best sci-fi writers are geeky black chicks or blokes. Octavia Butler springs to mind - if you haven't already read her, I suggest that you rush out immediately to your nearest store or check out amazon. And there is a guy who is considered one of the most complex sci-fi writers ever - but I am blanking on his name for the moment. I will get back to you on this. I am glad that someone besides me remembers the Madeline L'Engle books from childhood - the seventies were a great time for kid's sci-fi.

ebony_kunoichi

[133]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 13
    Octavia Butler is my hero!!! I've read all of her stuff. I pattern my writings after her stuff!!! My goal is to make sci-fi more well rounded and multicultural. I loved Firefly too. It was very unique. As u can tell, my fav character is my avatar.

123home123

[134]Nov 1, 2007
    I added a poll to this thread so we can get a better idea of the mix between hard-core sci-fi fans and fans that rarely watch sci-fi other than BSG.

As I posted a long time ago, I fall somewhere in the middle. Though I used to watch Star Trek, the original Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars and other sci-fi when I was younger, I also watched police and detective series like Hawaii Five-O and Magnum, P.I.

I didn't watch much sci-fi or any TV at all for about 10 years (except on holidays). In the mid 1990s, I watched some of Northern Exposure and a lot of The X-Files. I missed out on Star Trek: The Next Generation. (I think I've only seen about 10 episodes of that series.) I saw many of the Star Trek: Voyager episodes and a fair number of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes.

In this decade, I started watching NYPD Blue near the end of its run. I used to watch Law & Order (but stopped when Jerry Orbach retired). I saw Eureka and Heroes last season but I haven't watched either this season except for one or two episodes each. I saw many of The Dresden Files episodes and Painkiller Jane. Those were moderately entertaining but not too memorable.

This fall, I haven't followed any series on a regular basis. I saw some of the Stargate Atlantis episodes from the DVR and some of the Flash Gordon episodes, but I haven't watched either in a few weeks. Besides these shows, I watch sports, baseball more than anything else, but I follow football too. (I don't always watch the games. I admit that I get a little bored in the middle of them sometimes.)

I haven't watched any scripted series "live" in over a month. I'm really awaiting the premiere of "Razor" so I'll finally get inspired to watch television live again. I used to like Lost during its first season but not so much after that.

I'll also post again about my science-fiction reading habits, or lack of them. I've never been a big fan of science-fiction books except Frank Herbert's Dune series. I can't really think of any other sci-fi series I've read. Not Asimov, not Heinlein. (I tried to read Stranger in a Strange Land but I really didn't like it.) I haven't read many books in recent years but I used to read a lot of the classics of literature, especially Dostoevsky and Charles Dickens. I've read all of Dostoevsky's major works (Crime and Punishment, The Devils [or The Possessed], The Idiot, The Brothers Karamazov, Notes from Underground) and several of Dickens' works (Bleak House, Our Mutual Friend, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Little Dorrit, David Copperfield).

As for American writers and works, Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea and Steinbeck's The Pearl are among the most notable to me.

Other than a few Ian Fleming "James Bond" novels, I think one of the last novels I read may have been Umberto Eco's The Island of the Day Before (1994). I think the last sci-fi novel I read was Chapterhouse: Dune (1985), the last Dune novel completed by Frank Herbert before his death. I never read the sequels that were co-written by his son based on Frank Herbert's notes. Maybe someday.
    Edited on 11/02/2007 4:49am

MichaudMR

[135]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 17

Home123,

Your post prompted me to take a look at some of the earlier posts on this thread, including mine, where I basically just listed everything I've watched or read without commenting on why.

Basically our household views very little T.V., but we do tend to get "hooked" on about one program per season and will follow every episode until the end of the run so we don't lose track of plot or character developments. My wife catches ER but I simply can't stand it and never have. The rather snotty, mean spirited, negative portrayal of human nature with few redeeming qualities just turns me off. We all enjoy Eureka because it's mostly lighthearted fun, and My wife and I both follow BSG. We find that BSG while dark in nature, still manages to portray it's characters as mostly caring, decent, genuine, human beings who are coping with crisis, but keep the kids out of it due to the rather mature content (there are better ways to discuss issues such as rape and torture with an 11 year old than watching it on public entertainment).

We are all avid readers with my daughter topping the list at at least abook a week, she tends towards fantasy such as the "Cat Fantastic" series and anything with horses in it. My son loves "fact" books like the Eye Witness series from Dorling Kindersley. He particularly favors anything about space travel and space science.

We don't retire to separate rooms to surf the net or watch T.V. and send as much time out of doors as New Englands' climate permits.

123home123

[136]Nov 2, 2007
    Interesting. I encourage other users to post more detailed explanations of their "sci-fi background"... and non sci-fi viewing too. I think it could be more insightful than just to have long lists of sci-fi shows. List your other favorite TV shows, sci-fi or non sci-fi so that we can better see what type of TV viewers watch BSG. Sci-fi and non sci-fi books and movies are also interesting to discuss too.

AuntieMame

[137]Nov 5, 2007
    123home123 wrote:
    Interesting. I encourage other users to post more detailed explanations of their "sci-fi background"... and non sci-fi viewing too. I think it could be more insightful than just to have long lists of sci-fi shows. List your other favorite TV shows, sci-fi or non sci-fi so that we can better see what type of TV viewers watch BSG. Sci-fi and non sci-fi books and movies are also interesting to discuss too.

All right, I'll bite - or divulge as the case may be. I love narrative, all narrative. I am big on epics as well. In addition to sci-fi, I like mysteries and thrillers and historical fiction, with the caveat that I don't like either to be formulaic. I'm not talking women in peril and bodice rippers, but things that give great story and great insight into the human condition as well. A fabulous mini-series based on a huge novel of series of novels is probably heaven for me. I, Claudius and The Raj Quartet are my favorite mini-series ever and incidentally my two favorite series of books of the twentieth century. I love the British mysteries and read them and watch them whenever I can. I love P.D. James, Minette Walters, Ruth Rendell, espcially writing as Barbara Vine - two of her books were made into movies that are available on VHS - A dark Adapted Eye and A Fatal Inversion, and they are amazing in either format. It's always good to find a sleeper as well, The Diary of Iris Weed, In the Woods, Christine Falls, Mistress of the Art of Death, City of Shadows and anything by Michael Gruber are wonderful, complex mystery reads. I like real people caught in interesting events and struggling nobly with life. I love the Dune series of books through Chapterhouse Dune, but don't think any movie or mini-series has ever captured their peculiar charm. For TV viewing, Foyle's War is wonderful combining as it does the genres of historical, mystery and war. Netflix it today; mystery fans won't be disappointed. Island at War is another great WWII historical miniseries. Ultraviolet is a British miniseries about modern vampires, but it isn't netflixable - I had to buy it and while it was worth watching, it wasnt worth owning. As a sub-genre, I love time travel tales combining as they do sci-fi and historical. House on the Strand by du Maurier is a classic as is anything by Connie Willis. Well, I think I have written enough - but I can't wait to hear the recommendations of others- please let me know if anyone has a sleeper either to read or watch.

AuntieMame

[138]Nov 19, 2007

I seem to be the only one still posting here, but here goes again: the male, African American Science Fiction Writer whose name I couldnt remember is Samuel Delany. He is good, but abstract and complex and not nearly as much fun as Octavia Butler - especially her Xenogenesis series.

Spin and its sequel, Axis, by Robert Charles Wilson are also excellent. I look forward to the recommendations of others for books, movies and tv. I added Above and Beyond to my netflix list based on the posts here and look forward to it.

Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death... Auntie Mame

123home123

[139]Nov 19, 2007
    I read your previous post. I was waiting to see if anyone else was willing to jump in too. I think people are excited about the upcoming premiere of "Razor" just a few days from now. Finally, we have new BSG material to talk about on the forum. I expect that the number of posts on the forum will skyrocket after Saturday night.

Once we've analyzed "Razor" to death, maybe more people will return to this thread. We'll have another long hiatus after "Razor" since Season 4 probably won't start up until April.

AuntieMame

[140]Nov 21, 2007

Thanks 123Home123. I too am on the edge of my seat waiting for Razor to come out. I have already informed my family not to bother me during the airing unless the house is burning down or someone is having a heart attack. I am excited to see what layers the backstory will add to our understanding of the current state of the characters and am looking forward to discussing it here and on my other favorite TV site. I can't believe that they are making us wait another six months before we get Season 4 episodes of Season 3 Dvds. I finally broke down and have started buying the episodes from iTunes - but this means I will pay twice as I will want to own the DVDs and don't enjoy the shows as much watching them on my computer. Here's to Saturday coming quickly.