Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Chat at Joe's Bar: What is your sci-fi background? (poll added 11/1/07)

How big a science fiction fan are you?

FriendlyCrono

[141]Nov 25, 2007
    • level: 11
    My favorite scifi shows are BSG, Heroes, Star Trek TOS, The 4400 and Sliders.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alwaysobsessed

[142]Dec 21, 2007
    • level: 22
    Farscape is my number 1 favourite
    and as you can see in my signature, I like a couple of sci-fi shows..

Daxx00004

[143]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 9

I have been a sci fi fan my whole life. My dad started me watching Star Trek when it first ran in the late 60's. After that things on TV were sparce other than ST reruns, space 1999, lost in space. During the 70's I read a lot, Asimov, Heinlein, McCaffrey, Piers Anthony to name just a few. Then my Aunt brought me to see Star Wars when I was a teenager and I fell absolutely in love then came BSG and my heart was broken so much potential and it was shot down in its prime. Then the sci fi field started opening up in movies then tv with ST TNG, DS9 (Hence my internet name), X-files. More recently I watch Smallville (yes, Superman is technically sci fi, he is an alien that arrived in a spaceship after all) BSG, Heroes and that pretty much covers it. I have not found any of the other sci fi channel shows compelling enough to watch.

Favorite book, Hammer of God Arthur C Clark.

Favorite book series Foundation Isaac Asimov.

Favorite game Lego Star Wars

Favorite movie The Empire Strikes Back

Edited on 01/14/2008 5:49pm

simulacra-

[144]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 5

My sci-fi background is simple, was coerced to watch ST:TOS by a friend, hated it because of the cheese *ducks for cover *

But started watching ST:TNG some years later, and begun liking it. At around the same time S:AAB begun airing on TV, which I absolutely loved, the gritty military environment and the smart design of weapons and equipment was amazing, I was sadened by the abrupt end due to the show being cancelled.

After that I went into a short sci-fi hiatus, even though I watched ST:VOY pretty regularly I wasn't really interested in the genre. After Voyager I semi-followed some sci-fi shows I cant really remeber, I think I watched SG1 pretty intensely a short while, then I discovered Total Recall 2070(?) which I really liked, and then one late night I saw this show I've never seen before, the BSG miniseries, watched and liked it, but wrote it off because it seemed to have ended right there.

Nothing happened for a year or so when a friend brought home the miniseries and S1 DVD, which we watched and I fell in love with, the drama, the veiled portrayal of our own society was amazing, in this period I also got hooked on Firefly after having watched serenity in the cinemas (Firefly never aired on swedish TV until long after serenity had premiered).

But a sidenote to this is the sci-fi in cinema which I gladly went to see whenever they premiered.

EDIT: How could I forget X-files which I loved the mytharc in, but couldn't stand the weird episodes, of course, I got my lifetime dose of sci-fi weirdness with Lexx tho

Edited on 02/12/2008 2:20am

HellOnEarth101

[145]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 15
    When I was little, two of my favourite shows were X-Files and Stargate SG-1, which I still love. (I was an interesting child ) Charmed and Animorphs were also regulars.
    My favourite show now is Battlestar Galactica. Other favourites: Lost, Firefly, Stargate Atlantis, Buffy, Heroes, Farscape and Smallville.
    Movies: the Star Wars saga, Back To The Future trilogy, Jurassic Park series, Matrix series and the Terminator series, as well as other non-series sci-fi films.

Being only 14, I don't watch a lot of the shows before my generation, like Star Trek or Doctor Who.
    I want to start watching Star Trek, but because there's so many, I don't know which is the best, which to start with.
    Any suggestions?

oh, and as I said above, I'm 14, and a girl.

123home123

[146]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 55
    Hmm, there's quite a bit of Star Trek to cover if you haven't seen any of the series yet. The original series is always worth checking out, if only because that show started the entire phenomenon. Star Trek aired before I was old enough to watch TV. I watched it when it went into reruns many years later.

I never watched much of ST: The Next Generation. To date, I've only seen about a dozen episodes of that entire series. Since you're a BSG fan, Deep Space Nine is worth a look. Ronald Moore was an executive producer for that show. You can see some similar themes between DSN and BSG such as the darker tone, the mystical religious elements, the backstabbing politics and war themes, although BSG goes much deeper into the issues of war than DSN did. Some fans didn't like DSN because it moved away from the optimism of the other Star Trek series. Likewise, some older fans of the earlier BSG don't like the new BSG because the sense of optimism and the safe adventurous spirit of the 1st series isn't present in the current series.

Voyager was supposed to be more realistic and darker. Ronald Moore was supposed to work on that series. He thought the producers would take a harsher look at a ship stranded all alone on the far side of the galaxy. He wanted to show the crew facing real crises like a lack of food, water and security. When he found out that the ship would be powerful and mighty just like the other Star Trek ships and the setting would tend to be neat and clean like the Enterprise ships from the other series, he bolted. Moore wanted to show stories like "33," "Water" and "The Passage" from BSG, where you can really see the effects of sleep deprivation, panic over the loss of water supplies and the effects of malnutrition.

Star Trek series are generally "sunnier" than BSG is. It can be a good change of pace from BSG but they tend not to be as emotionally hard-hitting as BSG is. Still, Star Trek is one of the most influential franchises in the modern sci-fi world, so it's probably good to have at least some familiarity with it, if you consider yourself to be a sci-fi fan, even if you're only a casual one.

Idbeolderifiwas

[147]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 20
    I'm in a similar situation really. There's so much Star Trek to watch that I don't know where to start. I suppose I'm lucky because currently every Star Trek show is in Syndication here, but right now I'm only watching TOS and Enterprise. TOS just started again in Syndication one Tuesday, so it's going to be good to start from the start. I quite enjoy DS9, but I don't want to jump into watching it in syndication right now, because they're currently airing season 6. I'm going to wait and see if hopefully they start it over again from season 1, then I'll probably watch it. As for TNG, I tried to watch it but the early seasons turned me off and I found it sort of hard to watch, so I stopped. It's now airing season 5, and I watch it occasionally but I don't pay too much attention to it when it's on.

I find that I hate Voyager, really. It's hard for me to explain, but I think Ron Moore had the right idea. I don't see how it's possible that a ship sent 70,000 light years away manages to be so pristine and perfect day after day, despite getting in battles all the time. I understand that they will never go hungry or thirsty thanks to their replicator technology, but they could at least show the ship being beat up from all the damage it takes.

The_Beekeeper

[148]Mar 15, 2008
    • level: 10

I believe I've yet to post in this topic so I figured it was time I added my two cents.

I rarely watch Sci-fi besides BSG. While I find mosty science fiction concepts to be highly fascinating, I feel most sci-fi shows suffer from very weak character development. Characters are generally what makes me form an attatchment to any given show. So while I may watch an episode on Star Trek (or something) and be interested by the events of an individual episode, there's never really anything that makes me want to stick around for the next episode.

BSG is head and shoulders above most other sci-fi when it comes to create morally complex human characters, which is one of the main reasons I love it. I would really like to hope it will start a trend in sci-fi and encourages writers to go for science fiction stories with more heart and complex characters... as well as all the fun stuff.

(Also shout out to BSG for the sex and violence... and smoking... and drinking, all of which IS AWESOME.)

Moondog1964

[149]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 6

Hello all,

I am another major SciFi fan from way back! I watched Star Trek TOS when I was just a kid! I love all things SciFi!

I have every episodes from every Star Trek series in my collection! Plus over 250 Star Trek books!

Plus I have read all the great authors of SciFi! Larry Niven, Author C Clarke etc etc etc!!!

Oh and Firefly/Serenity rocked!!!

Farscape was great too!

If it's SciFi I will check it out...

Moondog2010

prettyedy

[150]Apr 2, 2008
    • level: 23
    You all look thirstly. *buys a round for the bar*

I like character driven stories like Battlestar and Firefly.

I like time travel stuff like Lost and Journeyman.

A touch of fantasy often improves the fun.

I have watched all the Star Treks except Enterprise. It was all played out by then.

I like futuristic cities like Minority Report and The Fifth Element.

I don't read SciFi, but I do listen to a SciFi podcast: Ecapepod.

I don't care for the shows with lots of laytex heads like Farscape and Babalon 5.

clos_vf

[151]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 12
    Dr. Who, Farscape and BSG rock i love the shows. Star Wars the original 3 were the best and X-Files was the best show back in the 90's.

For some reason i get into the good shows way to late in the seasons that either end or get canned early like Farscape and BSG.

Idbeolderifiwas

[152]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 20
    clos_vf wrote:
    Dr. Who, Farscape and BSG rock i love the shows. Star Wars the original 3 were the best and X-Files was the best show back in the 90's.

For some reason i get into the good shows way to late in the seasons that either end or get canned early like Farscape and BSG.

I have a habit of doing that also. I got into Stargate SG-1 only a few months AFTER it got cancelled. I had to go buy the series box set to get my fix of it. I got into BSG late in the 3rd season, and only got to watch like one or two episodes on broadcast TV before the show stopped for a year.

clos_vf

[153]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 12
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    clos_vf wrote:

I have a habit of doing that also. I got into Stargate SG-1 only a few months AFTER it got cancelled. I had to go buy the series box set to get my fix of it. I got into BSG late in the 3rd season, and only got to watch like one or two episodes on broadcast TV before the show stopped for a year.

I got into Firefly after i watched the Serenity movie i had no clue it was a show before. Arent you glad BSG is back too?

lisagraham

[154]Apr 6, 2008
    • level: 30

trackstarbuck wrote:
    so, how many of us are female, for the record...???

Another SciFi Girl chiming in... grew up on the original Star Trek, then Star Wars, then Quantum Leap, Sliders, etc.... I just got SciFi channel in my town 2 years ago so I've been playing major catch up on both Stargate series now that all the good stuff, Farscape/Angel/Buffy/Firefly are no more...

As for current TV... Torchwood, Supernatural, Stargate Atlantis, Eureka (LOVE this show)

SciFi has come aong way on TV and it's really exciting... we have Sancuary, Dollhouse and Caprica all on deck for next year, I can't remember the last time that was this much new SciFi programming to choose from at one time!!

=)

ndk28

[155]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 7
    I used to hate sci-fi, but then I started watching The 4400 and started to warm up to it. There are some sci-fi shows I will never watch, but all in all, it's starting to grow on me. The only sci-fi shows I currently watch are The 4400 DVDs, BSG, and Supernatural (my all time favorite show at the moment). I also had a soft spot for all the Star Wars movies. I grew up in the 90s, but my dad's side of the family was obsessed with Star Wars. Every time I went to visit my uncle, he would play Episodes IV, V, and VI. My parents brought me over to my uncle's A LOT. Needless to say, I knew everything there was to know about the original Star Wars movies by the time I was nine .
    Edited on 04/07/2008 12:04am

tripping82

[156]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 14

Ok, so I'm watching Blade Runner last night and about 75% though the movie. I'm at the part where Deckard just killed the first Replicant. His boss, Captain Bryant, shows up at the see and says: "Christ, Deckard. You look almost as bad as that skinjob you left on the sidewalk"

I wonder where BSG heard it...

123home123

[157]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 55
    It could be an intentional reference, given that Edward James Olmos also played a major role in that movie.

x5slider

[158]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 3
    Hello to all...
    For me it all started with Doctor Who.
    As a kid back in the 70s era Doctor Who, and all the PBC repeats.

Then Star Trek, Star Wars, 78' BSG, Lost in space, Blake's 7, BuckRogers etc. Then as I got older, anything SciFi was game.
    "V", sliders, quantum leap, 7 days, farscape, stargate, x-files and on and on. I struggle to think of one I did not like.

I love a good characters that are real (not perfect), and story-arc.
    On that note, I think B5 needs a place in history for raising the bar on story-arc style plots. I think it changed more than just the sci-fi worlds.

The characters in 2003 BSG rock. I love watching them evolve and change.

Any other Sliders fans out there? you might want to try and get a hold of 'Charlie Jade'. It only had one season, but went a few places sliders could not.

Vincent2013

[159]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 7

I dont know if all of these are sci-fi but they are my favorites:

Alias, Lost, Buffy and Angel, Supernatural, X-Files, Taken, The Lost Room, Star Trek: Voyager, Terminater: SC, Eureka

I find it weird actually because Im the only person who watches this stuff, No one I know watches any of these shows, it gets frustrating at times when I cant talk to my friends and family about who could be the final Cylon. Im glad I have you guys

hobbes969

[160]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 2

HUGE sci-fi fan, but not a fan of all of it. At the top:

Star Trek (too young for original but love the rest), Star Wars, Doctor Who, Firefly, BSG, Torchwood, Heroes, Blade Runner, Aliens, Predator, Clarke books, Crichton books, Dick stories.

I didn't get into a lot of the other shows because I missed the early episodes. I'm so into sci-fi I sometimes think I should have been a scientist or at least paid attention in high school physics.