Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Chat at Joe's Bar: What is your sci-fi background? (poll added 11/1/07)

How big a science fiction fan are you?

Samikii

[181]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 2
    I really love sci-fi, but I like a lot of genres also - comedy, fantasy, etc. I was raised watching Star Wars. I had a crush on Luke when I was 10 y.o. >.>

Other sci-fi I enjoy:

BSG (ofc!)
    Firefly
    Heroes
    Star Trek: TNG

I really want to watch all of Babylon 5, the Stargates, and Farscape, but I just need to find time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ascaffo

[182]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 23
    I grew up with Star Trek and Doctor Who. I loved Star Wars and Close Encounters of the 3rd kind. Let's not forget Battlestar Gallactica. From there I was drawn to fantasy too. The frist channel I turn to everyday is Sci-FI. I love other shows, but they have the whole fantasy element- Heroes and Lost.

Sambu21

[183]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 11

I got,

Stargates

Startreks (not so much DS9 but i have still seen every ep)

Starwars

Andromeda

Roswell

Farscape

Taken (that speilburg thing)

Eureka

Charmed

Matrix (and just to nerd it up a bit i got the animatrix on DVD)

Firefly (THE GREATEST SHOW EVER CANCELLED)

aimers22

[184]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 7
    I guess I'm a mild scifi fan, I am big on the star -wars, gates, treks (except TOS). However I also am a fairly well rounded perveyor of most other genre's.

darth_pocki

[185]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 10

I usually say I'm a sci fi geek if people ask... the truth is that I do love sci fi but I tend to focus on one show at the time and keep missing others. And there're so many classics I just haven't seen. And to add to it all, I haven't read much sci fi at all. It has been more fantasy when it comes to books.

However... the first sci fi show I watched and fell in love with was Star Trek Voyager, I was just a kid but I couldn't imagine missing an episode. And about the same time as I got into that Star Wars episode I was on its way which stirred up a lot of "omg star wars is so awsome" in the media. So I thought I should check the originals out before ep I premiered. And wuickly I became a true star Wars geek. Think I managed to watch the originals about 3 times each before TPM premiered, and I even managed to reach the level where I thought ep I was actually really bad compared to the rest (I should add I was 10-11 years at the time).

So that's how it started for me... eventually I got introduced to Stargate SG-1 through Swedish tv, but they only showed the first season which made me angry. But it was way back, I didn't really have the means to get hold of it any other way (and I was still a kid)... I don't think much happened for a little while. I lived happily with my Star Wars fangirliness but that was it. A stray movie here and there perhaps... and then came Serenity. I wanted some new fresh sci fi (new Star Wars movies didn't count, I was way too familiar with the universe) and people said the movie was good. So I saw it in the cinema and was hooked. A week later I had bought the firefly boxset, and I was back in the game.

Finally I found what would become, and still is, my absolute favourite... Farscape. By then I was fully integrated in the online world and I watched more random movies and after three tries I got hooked on BSG (I'm so glad I gave it that third try). And there has been some other shows, more or less sci fi, that I loved and still love and I'm still open to try new ones... among the ones I found my way too was the Stargates (finally got to see how that s1 cliffhanger got resolved), mainly due to the fact that the main actors of Farscape both ended up in s9 and 10 of SG-1. And we have Doctor Who, Dark Angel, Red Dwarf... and the more contemporary "urban" sci fi's (or whatever they're called) like Eurek, The Middleman and Sarah Connor Chronicles. Some I love, some are just entertaining for the moment... but I do believe Farscape, Firefly and BSG will always be the three shows that owns my heart

Edited on 07/27/2008 2:43pm

ascaffo

[186]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 23
    darth_pocki wrote:

I usually say I'm a sci fi geek if people ask... the truth is that I do love sci fi but I tend to focus on one show at the time and keep missing others. And there're so many classics I just haven't seen. And to add to it all, I haven't read much sci fi at all. It has been more fantasy when it comes to books.

However... the first sci fi show I watched and fell in love with was Star Trek Voyager, I was just a kid but I couldn't imagine missing an episode. And about the same time as I got into that Star Wars episode I was on its way which stirred up a lot of "omg star wars is so awsome" in the media. So I thought I should check the originals out before ep I premiered. And wuickly I became a true star Wars geek. Think I managed to watch the originals about 3 times each before TPM premiered, and I even managed to reach the level where I thought ep I was actually really bad compared to the rest (I should add I was 10-11 years at the time).

So that's how it started for me... eventually I got introduced to Stargate SG-1 through Swedish tv, but they only showed the first season which made me angry. But it was way back, I didn't really have the means to get hold of it any other way (and I was still a kid)... I don't think much happened for a little while. I lived happily with my Star Wars fangirliness but that was it. A stray movie here and there perhaps... and then came Serenity. I wanted some new fresh sci fi (new Star Wars movies didn't count, I was way too familiar with the universe) and people said the movie was good. So I saw it in the cinema and was hooked. A week later I had bought the firefly boxset, and I was back in the game.

Finally I found what would become, and still is, my absolute favourite... Farscape. By then I was fully integrated in the online world and I watched more random movies and after three tries I got hooked on BSG (I'm so glad I gave it that third try). And there has been some other shows, more or less sci fi, that I loved and still love and I'm still open to try new ones... among the ones I found my way too was the Stargates (finally got to see how that s1 cliffhanger got resolved), mainly due to the fact that the main actors of Farscape both ended up in s9 and 10 of SG-1. And we have Doctor Who, Dark Angel, Red Dwarf... and the more contemporary "urban" sci fi's (or whatever they're called) like Eurek, The Middleman and Sarah Connor Chronicles. Some I love, some are just entertaining for the moment... but I do believe Farscape, Firefly and BSG will always be the three shows that owns my heart

Its funny- with all that you wrote here- I related to a lot. BUT the one the that held me was that you love sci-fi, but mostly read fantasy. That is sooo me. It is unusual. Most sci-fi lovers read sci-fi. I just found that interesting.

123home123

[187]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 55
    I tend not to read much sci-fi at all. Well, I haven't read a novel in a long time but when I did read novels, I usually didn't read science fiction other than Frank Herbert's Dune series. I read mostly classics (Dickens, Dostoevsky, Nabokov), literary novels (Umberto Eco) and some spy/detective novels (James Bond).

I've never read any Isaac Asimov books. I tried to read Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land but it was just too weird for me.

I still read a lot but it's primarily non-fiction these days. A lot of news, business, politics, history, science and tech articles along with BSG interviews/articles and some general entertainment items.

What I like so much about BSG is that it isn't really a typical sci-fi series at all. It has a lot of politics in it as well as deep psychological exploration. In addition, it takes an open-ended look at the nature of spirituality and the meaning of humanity in a realistic manner (i.e., no fanciful god communities like the Ancients or the Q Continuum). It doesn't necessarily try to provide answers but it seems to be saying that the quest for spiritual understanding is an important one. There are quite a few TV shows, movies and books out there that state the opposite, that spirituality and such are completely unimportant.

Of course, I'm glad that there are the dramatic scenes and the fierce battles too, but they aren't cartoonish like the skirmishes one would see in older sci-fi shows, or even non sci-fi shows like old Westerns and police series.

I read darth_pocki's review of BSG stating that BSG sort of ruined other sci-fi shows for her because BSG was so deep and intense. Yeah, I can understand the sentiment. I see some of the remastered episodes of the original Star Trek series on TV on occasion and they really don't have as much of an effect as an episode of BSG does. Even some action and drama movies and shows now fall flat for me because of this. If I'm watching a story that doesn't have any deeper meaning in terms of philosophy, inner struggle, intense personal emotions, or spirituality, then it feels shallow, much more so than before.

I recently saw the Denzel Washington movie Deja Vu on cable. Though it was a passable action-based sci-fi movie, it didn't have much of a punch. I kept wishing there were something more going on besides just the chase and the quest to save the woman's life. That movie also reminded me how much I have come to despise time-travel stories now. I don't think I minded such stories when I was younger but now they come across as too flighty and weak. If you can just hit a figurative switch and go back to the way everything was by traveling through time, then why does the story really matter? The characters don't often develop in such stories, and the writers usually find some magical solution through the time-travel gimmick.

One could say that the "One Year Ahead" in the Season 2 finale of BSG was a sort of time-travel plot element, but not really. It was a leap forward in the story but the characters didn't magically move ahead that one year. They suffered and developed during that time. We the viewers just didn't happen to see it all. That's much different than when the characters themselves jump forward or backward in a story.

Anyway, I posted more about my sci-fi and non sci-fi background earlier on in this thread. I don't know which post since this thread has become quite large over the years. Good luck in finding it if you are interested.
    Edited on 07/27/2008 11:38pm
    Edited 2 total times.

scififan12921

[188]Nov 14, 2008
    • level: 6

I've been a sci-fi fan since my dad introduced me to reruns of star trek when I was a kid. I was hooked forever when star wars came out when I was a kid. I watched the original battlestar, buck rogers, both bionic series and loved an old anime called Starblazers. I also read quite a bit of sci-fi and fantasy. I highly recommend the Malazan series by Stephen Erickson. It's definitely pg 13 but great characters and story.

wasn't sure about the new bsg until "33" aired, then I was hooked. I don't have cable at the present time so my only updates on season 4 are from the recaps here. I can't wait until the dvd comes out in January.

psychickiller

[189]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 9
    I'm not a heavy sci-fi fan, and never liked Star Trek, although I did read books ('Dune') and watched several shows. After I got cought in with Battlestar Galactica, I was convinced to try out Babylon 5 - which turned out to be amazing.

Of course Battlestar Galactica is still first in my heart

Kondix

[190]Dec 2, 2008
    I am into many genres... but The X-Files were for years my most favorite show, before that I was and I still am a big Indy and Star Wars fan, I also liked Knight Rider as a kid. I real loved the first season of Heroes...

Here are my favorite shows:

Battlestar Galactica (r-ed)
    24 (without Day6)
    Californication
    The Clone Wars (actually almost everything Star Wars)
    The X-Files (up to the end od S
    Gilmore Girls

What I love about BSG specially, is the fact, that there are episodes and storylines, that would fit even for a show like Californication, but it still has Sc-Fi elements. The Clone Wars is more a nostalgia love for SW, but BSG is really something more to me. It is really mature... maybe even more than anything else I have seen. It shows that live on a battleship or star-cruiser would be in many aspects as here... you wake up, you do your job, you make your living, you have fun, you have sorrows, you have a believe structure, your political views, you have your sexuality, you have your problems, your aspirations to be more than a definition of the job you are doing at the moment and you have those heartwarming moments that make up for all those troubles...
    you do something wrong, you face the consequences... you do something right... you are mostly poorly rewarded... Somehow this show has all the elements in it, that define reality for someone, for me, and you could take everything I wrote above, and you would definetly find all those aspects in like 70% of the characters in this show.
    It's not the aspect of finding the 5th Cylon, or earth, that makes me watch this... I like it because I see real people in an unreal envirement and their behaviour, their problems and their lives, it all simply is so unbelievable true and unique...

I am a die hard Star Wars fan... but if I had to chose SW or BSG... I'd go with BSG.

That became a longer post, than I intended... can't wait for S4.5

ebony_kunoichi

[191]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 13
    What a traitor. I am a die hard SW fan,. I seen own and dissected all the movies. I've read all of the books and played almost all of the video games. BSG is great, it's like 2nd on my fav sci-fi. with trek being 3rd and Farscape 4th and SG 5th.

GotalSaiyajin

[193]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 34
    I love scifi. I love it since I was a child and still love it.

xanderfi

[194]Feb 2, 2009
    • level: 5

I would have to say I'm very particular about Sci Fi. I was Never Interested in Star Trek until I watched the Next Generation and then never liked any of the following series of Star Trek. I loved Firefly but was never really a fan of any of Joss Whedon's other projects. I Had no interest in Battlestar originally because of the original series, it just seemed a little too cheeseball for me. However, a friend of mine introduced me to the BSG mini-series and I have not looked back since. The show is well written, well acted and so far..., well plotted. Those are all essential things for any TV program to be successful and Battlestar would give any show a run for its money on how well structured, written and produced it is. I've introduced this show to several friends who really have never had any interest in Sci Fi before and now they can't get enough. I'd say Battlestar tops the list of my favorites. I also think, for myself anyways, that technology really allows these stories to take a better shape. Maybe I didn't have any interest in the original battlestar series because I didn't feel like it was real. Shiny tin foil and lite-brite backgrounds just didn't do it for me. Now a days, you can believe that these things are taking place. The graphics look pretty close to real and sets and props feel more genuine. Another big part of my Sci Fi background is probably video games. I like a lot of games with a new universe to explore like Halo, Mass Effect, etc., While it may not be a big of a deal as TV shows, the sci fi games really peak my interest more than most.

BSG, Lost, Supernatural, Terminator: SCC, Smallville, Fringe

seantuck

[195]Feb 2, 2009
    • level: 8
    I guess you could say im not really a big sci-fi fan. I only watch BSG and Lost which are more drama than sci-fi.

hazelnut144

[196]Feb 2, 2009
    I guess I am sci-fi and fantasy fan basically. For tv watching, I never really managed to get into Star Trek; found it a bit too cliche, and I found the characters pretty boring. That is the first thing that tends to draw me into a show, is the characters, and the relationships between them. That is probably why BSG drew me in so much. Lots of very real characters that have real relationships (not just in a romantic sense, just in how they relate to each other. Like the DeeGaeta friendship, or the HeloKara one.) That is probably what drew me to Joss Whedon shows; he tends to have really big casts, with really good characters. His shows are quite a bit lighter than BSG though. I watched Firefly several years ago, and just finished going through Buffy. Other shows I watched, well all of the Stargates, though I really didn't like the last two seasons of SGA. I thought the show died when Weir left. Just watched X-Files, which I loved, except for the last season. When they got rid of the MulderScully dynamic, the show just died. I watched Xena as well, and Alias, although that got pretty weird by the end. Also, completely outside of anything else, I am watching Tudors, which is just pretty awesomely done. Torchwood and Dr. Who are good as well, although I'm still working through Dr. Who. Haven't seen Babylon 5 but I'll probably try it at some point. I loved the original Star Wars movies too.

As for books, I read sci-fi and fantasy, but I'm relatively picky. Sci-Fi, I prefer stuff that takes place partly on earth, or with at least Earthlike people. Stuff that examines what will happen to humanity in the future. It's hard to describe, but there are some kinds of books that I just can't get into. Stranger in a Strange Land is one of those. I also tried Ursula LeGuin, and couldn't get into that either. Best book ever is Ender's Game. I also really liked Asimov. Fantasy, I don't really like LoTR type stuff, with elves and dwarves and mages...stuff that sounds like DnD games brought to life. I like stuff which is relatively medieval, but there can be magic, or gods involved. My favorite stuff to read though is Dystopian fiction. Stuff like "The Giver" or "A Handmaid's Tale".

smiley19922006

[197]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 2
    Well I grew up on Star Trek, Star Wars, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman and the First Battlestar Galactica Series. I also liked Galactica 1980, but it was not any where near as good as the first Galactica and lets not forget Star Trek the animated series. This Brings us up to the 80s which brought us Voyagers, V, V the Final Battle and V the series, Knight Rider, War of the Worlds, Star Trek The Next Generation and Quantum LeapFor the most part TV Sci-fi kinda fizzled for the most part until TNG people got their act together and got it right again. The 90s had plenty of good even great sci-fi on tv, there was 7 days, Angel, Babylon 5, The Burning Zone, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Hercules, Highlander, Highlander: The Raven, The Pretender, seaQuest, The Sentinel, Sliders, Space Above and Beyond, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Star Trek Voyager, Stargate SG-1, Time Trax and Xena. Which brings us up to the 2000s and Andromeda, the new Battlestar Galactica, the new Knight Rider, Star Trek Enterprise, Stargate Atlantis just to name a few.

rickvega

[198]Mar 21, 2009

smiley19922006 wrote:
    Well I grew up on Star Trek, Star Wars, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman and the First Battlestar Galactica Series. I also liked Galactica 1980, but it was not any where near as good as the first Galactica and lets not forget Star Trek the animated series. This Brings us up to the 80s which brought us Voyagers, V, V the Final Battle and V the series, Knight Rider, War of the Worlds, Star Trek The Next Generation and Quantum LeapFor the most part TV Sci-fi kinda fizzled for the most part until TNG people got their act together and got it right again. The 90s had plenty of good even great sci-fi on tv, there was 7 days, Angel, Babylon 5, The Burning Zone, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Hercules, Highlander, Highlander: The Raven, The Pretender, seaQuest, The Sentinel, Sliders, Space Above and Beyond, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Star Trek Voyager, Stargate SG-1, Time Trax and Xena. Which brings us up to the 2000s and Andromeda, the new Battlestar Galactica, the new Knight Rider, Star Trek Enterprise, Stargate Atlantis just to name a few.

Most of the shows u mention where my favorites: 7 days, Buffy, Angel, what really got me was when I discovered Star Trek Voyager and fell in love with sci fi since then I saw all of star trek except the original, Loved Highlander The Raven shame it only lasted 1 season, Xena, Hercules, Andromeda, Charmed, Oooooooh how can I forget THE X FILES loved the show ans seen both movies even tho the last one was not that great im still a loyal fan to the X Files, The Pretender, Earth Final Conflict, TimeCop the show, Profiler, love James Bond movies, and many many more that I cant recall at the moment......

Timewhisper

[199]May 13, 2009
    • level: 7
    I watch a lot of sci-fi, but by no means all of it.
    All five Star Trek series, both Stargate series, Earth: Final Conflict, Andromeda, Smallville, Alien Nation, the Star Wars movies, Babylon 5, and Firefly to name most.

Never saw Farscape, or Buffy, or it's related series.

Mitoch

[200]Jun 23, 2009

I'm going to date myself here (Why not? Nobody else will).

The first science fiction movie(s) I can remember seeing were those old, 1950s era, radiation / science gone wrong with the giant ants (Them! )and stuff like that. One in particular stood out, "The Incredible Shrinking Man." I think that's where I picked up my intense fear of spiders. At any rate, at that age I also enjoyed horror movies ( "The Wolfman," "Frankenstein," etc.). Although nowadays I absolutely detest going into the video store and seeing Science Fiction and Horror mixed in together, as though they are the same genre. Anyway, I bounced back and forth, until late one night a science fiction film was shown on TV. "The Day The Earth Stood Still." Chills ran up my spine at the line, "This planet will be reduced to a burned-out cinder." I was hooked.

I started reading Asimov, Bradbury, Bova and, my favorite, Heinlein. "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is my favorite. My mom always knew how to keep me in line, threaten to take away my favorite TV shows; "The Outer Limits," "The Time Tunnel," "Lost in Space," "The Invaders," and "Star Trek" (the original) to name a few.

Movies such as: "The Blob," "The Omega Man," "Soylent Green," "2001: A Space Odessey," "Planet of the Apes," "Fantastic Voyage," "The Time Machine" and "War of the Worlds." Fed my appetite.

I also realized then that there was a difference between "Science Fiction" and "Sci-Fi." I consider the more dramatic and cerebral movies ("2001," "Planet of the Apes," etc.) as science fiction and the shoot 'em up, lots of explosions, laser blasters ( "Star Trek," "Star Wars," etc.). I remember sitting in the theatre, watching the promos for this new film due out this summer, "Star Wars." In my mind, I said, "Wow! I have got to see this." And I did. One day, I sat in the theatre with a buddy and saw it four times (this was back in the days when they didn't clear the theatre between showings). Watching the promos for "Star Trek; The Motion Picture." And being mildly disappointed at the finished product.

My tastes and expectations have varied throughout the years. I enjoyed the first trilogy of "Star Wars" (until the Ewoks showed up). I've enjoyed all of the "Star Trek" movies. I haven't seen "Enterprise" yet. For all it's cringe-worthy aspects, I still enjoyed the original "Battlestar Galactica" (fell in lust with Sheba).

I fell away from TV Science Fiction for a time. So I didn't see the "Planet of the Apes" attempt at series television. Never got into "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Nor "Deep Space Nine" or "Voyager." "Bablylon 5" pulled me back into it. It was such a change from other television shows. A story with a 5-year arc. Things happened in Season 1 that had impacts on Season 2, 3, etc. There was an actual sense of history to it. When characters said, "Last year..." it was actually last year that something happened! And of course the special effects were groundbreaking for television. I wanted to watch "Farscape" and "Andromeda" but because in my area scheduling and trying to find them were nightmares, I just couldn't develop the habit to make sure I was at a TV when they were on. For the same reason I never saw "Firefly" on broadcast TV. But I've become a huge fan after watching the DVDs.

I liked the remake of "The Omega Man" ( "I Am Legend" ). Accepted the re-imagining of Tom Cruise in "War of the Worlds." And never saw the (from what I've heard and read) travesty of Keanu Reeves' "Day the Earth Stood Still."

I've come to this version of Battlestar Galactica late. As a matter of fact, just this past weekend. I rented the first two seasons and am almost done with them. I didn't want to jump into the story mid-stream, so I never watched it on broadcast TV. But so far, from what I've seen I've been blown away by the intelligence, attention to detail and story-telling of the show. Great cast, great storylines. At first I was a bit leery about the changes (Boomer and Starbuck as women, etc.). But it fits, and now I can't imagine the story otherwise. What helps draw me in is that they don't make up words for something. Obviously "Frack" is an exception. But cancer is cancer, a minute is not a micron, etc. It all seems to be rooted in realism. All except for the FTL travel. But you know what? As long as they don't talk about it in some made up lingo and try to explain how they do it, I can accept it. I don't need to know how they do it, just they have the capability.

I'm looking forward to catching up.