TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "A Day in the Life" (2/18/07 episode) (spoilers)

123home123

[1]Feb 12, 2007
    • level: 55
    According to the Sci Fi site, the Cylons have been laying off their pursuit of the humans since the fleet left the algae planet. This episode will focus on Adama as he reminisces about his dead wife Caroline. Meanwhile, Chief Tyrol and Cally get caught on the wrong side of an airlock.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Neo_Seeker

[2]Feb 13, 2007
    • level: 1
    Another filler episde, but its been pretty much the same last season too. Don't mind as long as its high quality. What I want to see is something shocking about Adama's past. Something big, something he's done but has kept it as a secret to only himself for all these years. Which of his wives was it? Lee and Zac's mom or his second political wife?

Airlock part. Hmmmmm, I havent really cared for Cally since she did *the thing* to Boomer in 204, so I don't really care if she does get sucked out. Sucks to be Nicholas, though, if both of them die. Just kidding!

Let the Roslin airlock jokes beigin...

mdfain

[3]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 6
    just found this video of Chief and Cally in the airlock video is 1 min and 27 sec videospoilers
    Edited on 02/18/2007 5:00am

majoradama

[4]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 5

The chief and cally are going to get out by jumping out the outer doors, into space, to a waiting raptor. WITHOUT SUITS!

Edited on 02/18/2007 9:23am

wedgeantilles54

[5]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 12

well it was good ep and it seems that adama had problems with his first wife, and she didn't like her kids too much either

copygeek

[6]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 13

In the notes for the episode, you guys need to mention that the picture frame that Adama had of him and his wife changed from octagonal to square and back to octagonal. It was octagonal when he pulled it out of his dresser and then put it back. It was square everytime he was shown looking at the picture.

Also, there was inconsistent use of the "octagonal" paper with the corners cut off. When Adama was signing the duty logs (or whatever Tigh gave him to sign in the beginning of the episode) the paper and the folder were typical rectangles.

123home123

[7]Feb 18, 2007
    I'll take a look at that tomorrow.

123home123

[8]Feb 18, 2007
    An interesting episode, if a somewhat sedate one. They are continuing the story that the Cylons have seem to have disappeared. Narcho boasts that the Cylons haven't been seen in 49 days.

There was no grand political or philosophical issue at stake in the episode but sometimes it's nice to take a step back and examine the characters when they aren't facing an apocalyptic crisis. The last 2 episodes have done a good job in showing sides to some of the important characters, Helo last week and Adama this week.

This was a decent character study. BSG has had a good mix of politics, philosophy, action and character study in the past, so the return of the character study episodes is a welcome development. We should be getting back to the "mythology" story and politics soon enough in Maelstrom and the two-part season finale.

Baltar only appeared in a photo and Caprica Six didn't appear at all. Starbuck seems to be more stable this week but the fireworks will return pretty soon.

The scene with Hot Dog and Helo in the briefing room was hilarious. Hot Dog was rubbing his thigh/groin and Helo notices. Hot Dog said he had the weirdest rash. Helo says he hopes it was worth it. He gets up and moves over one seat. You can also see Athena in the row behind, watching and smiling. She gets up at the same time as Helo and moves over one seat too.

(And since Bodie Olmos is Edward James Olmos' real-life son, I wonder what Adama would have to say about this "development." )
    Edited on 02/18/2007 9:33pm
    Edited 2 total times.

copygeek

[9]Feb 18, 2007

123home123 wrote:
    Baltar only appeared in a photo and Caprica Six didn't appear at all. Starbuck seems to be more stable this week but the fireworks will return pretty soon.

I don't think Baltar appeared even in a photo in this episode, did he? I thought that was a shot of next week's episode.

As for Helo, he was in the Viper Pilot room (where they have their meetings) and sat next to Hot Dog. Helo had the funniest line of this season. He saw Hot Dog scratching his crotch. Helo asks if something is wrong. Hot Dog says that he has a "really strange rash". Helo smiles, says,"Hope she was worth it!" and moves to the next seat away from Hot Dog!

Edited on 02/18/2007 9:33pm

123home123

[10]Feb 18, 2007
    Yeah, I realized that after I wrote the first version of my message. I didn't see your post until after I edited my previous message.

Did you notice that Athena was watching the conversation and moved over one seat at the same time?

copygeek

[11]Feb 18, 2007

123home123 wrote:
    Yeah, I realized that after I wrote the first version of my message. I didn't see your post until after I edited my previous message. Did you notice that Athena was watching the conversation and moved over one seat at the same time?

Oh, I didn't even see Athena at all. Which brings up a question... Do you suppose they have assigned seating at the meetings? I don't think I've EVER seen Helo and Athena sit together at the meetings. That seems strange since they are married. I'd expect them to sit next to each other once in awhile.

danharr

[12]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 45
    Well talk to you guys Monday since my scifi feed had no pic tonight

123home123

[13]Feb 18, 2007
    In addition to several quotes, I added a note about the book that Roslin gave to Adama near the end of the episode. "Blood Runs at Midnight" appears to be a made-up book. The upper right and lower right corners are cut off like the sheets of paper we see on Galactica.

In the Season One episode "Act of Contrition," all the books seen when Sharon (Athena) knocks over a bookshelf are real-life books. Someone submitted a note about that shortly after I first became editor for BSG back in the summer of 2006. I verified all the titles by slowing down the DVR recording and I looked up the authors and publication years for the books, which is why I remembered that scene just now. Since neither Sharon nor Helo picked up any of the books and discussed their titles, there was no need to create made-up titles for those books.
    Edited on 02/18/2007 10:22pm

123home123

[14]Feb 18, 2007
    Roslin was almost "girlish" in this episode, which is not meant to be a criticism. I think Mary McDonnell did a great job portraying Roslin as she seems to be letting down her personal defenses after 49 days without a Cylon sighting. She feels more free to act on her emotions now that she doesn't have to worry about protecting humanity every second of every day.

She's a human being after all, not a robot, so it's natural that she would eventually develop romantic feelings for someone. And it would be strange to see her involved with someone outside of the inner circle of power. Perhaps she could be involved with someone on Colonial One but we don't really know of any appropriate male characters there of her age and position. There's Tom Zarek but Roslin still looks at him with some unease because of his previous life as a terrorist/"freedom fighter."

She would never get involved with Tigh as he is too much of a hardcore military guy to get along with her.

The episode was a chance for McDonnell and Olmos to feature their acting ability. There hasn't been much of a focus on them lately aside from their roles in fighting the Cylons. This is the first time we've seen their personal sides in a long time.

boromirbeauty

[15]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 61
    I thought that it was interesting that again in the bonus video that Gaeta was not in the brig. Does anyone have a reason why he isn't or are we to assume he is since he's only really been seen in edited scenes?

123home123

[16]Feb 19, 2007
    Since Baltar is not "officially" onboard Galactica, Adama and Roslin have more leeway on deciding the proper punishment for Gaeta. Those two despise Baltar so much that Gaeta might have gotten a light punishment. We know it's been 49 days since "Rapture," the last time the fleet saw the Cylons, so the punishment might have ended already.

gabfan31

[17]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 100
    Another strong episode. We didn't get Cylons and a Viper battle, but the tension of wondering whether Tyrol and Callie would both make it (knowing somebody was eventually going to be killed off this season added spice) and their rescue was great. I did wonder why there were no emergency pressue suits stored in the airlock, though. I would have thought that a mlitary vessel like that would have such safety precautions. I also enjoyed the scenes with Adama and Roslin, but I found the wife scenes jarring at first. It did grow on me by the end of the episode. It was also good to see both Starbuck and Apollo back to doing their jobs effectively and no sign of angst, which would have been inappropriate for the episode. All in all, a thoroughly satisfying episode.  

wedgeantilles54

[18]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 12
    well considering it was an airlock that had been damaged and was proably not in use, so a good deal of the equipmement might have been move to the air locks that where still in worrking order leaving only minimal emergency gear there.

kanniballl

[19]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 18
    boromirbeauty wrote:
    I thought that it was interesting that again in the bonus video that Gaeta was not in the brig. Does anyone have a reason why he isn't or are we to assume he is since he's only really been seen in edited scenes?

They probably let him off with a warning.  After all he was apparently more messed up than they realized and Baltar purposely pushed his buttons during their meeting.  Considering they need their officers and Baltar survived he probably got off scott free.

Hell, Caley just got a short time for unlawful discharge of a firearm when she killed Boomer in cold blood.

boromirbeauty

[20]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 61
    Thank you, excellent points Kanniballl & 123home123.