Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" (1/23/09) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

  • Avatar of hazelnut144

    hazelnut144

    [41]Jan 25, 2009
    • member since: 05/01/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 365

    gibbin1 wrote:
    Why the hell did the BSG command look so different then? The command didnt look like that in the recent episode

    I'm assuming that CIC gets updated with cylon tech at some point during the season. The webisodes were filmed after the show wrapped I believe, so they would have used what sets they could get.

    And as to the pills Adama was taking, I assumed they were some kind of stimulants. Because he kept falling asleep all ep.

    Edited on 01/25/2009 10:23am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mfirefly10

    mfirefly10

    [42]Jan 25, 2009
    • member since: 02/20/08
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 235
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

    This espisode took the show in exactly the direction it needs to go. I loved when they found earth as a nuclear wasteland but had a lot of trouble accepting the other revelations associated with earth. The "Final Five Mythology" has become so convoluted that it no longer works in the reality-based drama that centered "BSG" for the first two and a half seasons.

    "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" brought a much more credible and emotionally compelling story. There are heroes and villians along with many intriguing grey areas. More importantly, whether or not we agree with any character's actions, there are believable reasons for them. I for one am so glad to not be wasting my time trying to figure out how Cylons from 2,000 years in the past (long before anything previously mentioned in the show would allow them actually exist) could somehow be re-born in the colonies, etc. I really enjoyed the opportunity to sympathize with Rosalyn's soul-crushing despair and to seethe angrily at Gaeta's betrayal. Those are moments of raw emotional power that have made "BSG" such an engaging show. I really hope that they allow this all-to-human drama to continue for at least a few more episodes.

    Bottom line, although this episode was mostly a set-up for next week, it is exactly the type of show that "BSG" needs to keep making as it finishes it's run.

    I couldn't agree more .

    A lot of people will complain that this was just a set-up episode but it was neccessary to flesh out the storyline. For those people who missed the webisodes, this episode was needed to explain Gaeta's actions. I think his storyline makes even more sense for those who did see the 'sodes but those who didn't can still follow along. This episode was also neccessary to re-engage the audience. RDM and co. need us to care about these characters as the show goes forward and this episode allowed us to do that. It offered us a glimpse into where these characters are in their lives before the action starts up again. And really, wasn't it worth it for that last scene?! I'm SO happy that the writers realize that sexiness has no age limit and they proved it with that scene.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hazelnut144

    hazelnut144

    [43]Jan 25, 2009
    • member since: 05/01/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 365
    If you listen to the podcast, its amusing, because RDM thought of that scene as the first time they slept together, but the actors are both sure that the characters probably slept together on New Caprica, and on and off since then.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [44]Jan 25, 2009
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    Yeah, it's hard to imagine that Adama and Roslin didn't get together before that scene with all the time they spent together on both New Caprica and in Adama's quarters previously. They have acted like lovers for a long, long time now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of scififan12921

    scififan12921

    [45]Jan 25, 2009
    • member since: 09/29/08
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 131
    123home123 wrote:
    Yeah, it's hard to imagine that Adama and Roslin didn't get together before that scene with all the time they spent together on both New Caprica and in Adama's quarters previously. They have acted like lovers for a long, long time now.


    I agree but like the final cylon until it's on the screen nothing's confirmed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of slowblink

    slowblink

    [46]Jan 26, 2009
    • member since: 04/12/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 48
    Two points:
    1. I still don't see how someone could resurrect kara thrace on earth, clone her fighter and send it back without earth actually being inhabited or monitored by the thirteenth tribe. I'm sure they are nearby somewhere.
    2. Fairly obvious to me that Adama is the dying leader
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sheeplikeme

    Sheeplikeme

    [47]Jan 26, 2009
    • member since: 01/22/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 79

    I guess I'm on a bit of a different ship when it comes to Gaeta in that if I were a civilian in that society - I would be joining his movement in a second. The military as run almost a dictorship promising Earth and that they do this for the greater good and that greater good is getting us to Earth and that will be our home. And though there are times they don't disclose things and its frustrating - they haven't let me down. Then we get to Earth and its supposed to be the panacea - the cure-all - the place that takes away all this pain and fear and maybe helps us live normally again. Instead we get a barren - nuked - planet - just like the ones we've been running from. Now the president is nowhere to be found, everything is a complete disorder, and this collaberation that we've had with the enemy has one again only brought us a barren nuked wasteland that should be our new home. I'd hate the cylons and I'd hate the military.

    But this show wants you to love Roslin and Adama except I've never loved Adama - I always thought that he played favourites and that he had terrible blindspots and those are things about leaders that I find particularly annoying. Roslin - I've loved as a character but I'd never want as a ruler because she pulls stunts that I fundamentally disagree with.

    I too loved the scene with Kara but just because I think she needs to have been called out on her stuff a while ago. I have always found her abrasive and selfish. Though there are times when I thought she kicked arse and was undeniably awesome - for the most part I couldn't stand her. And I can't believe that her only insult was to call him a cripple over and over again. Did anyone else find that midly offensive? She's the reason why he lost his leg.

    I guess this long rambly entry culminates in this - I don't hate Gaeta and I don't want him to die because he has always tried to do the right thing and instead he gets screwed over by everyone. So he finally decides not to the right thing because he's tired of getting screwed over time and time again and he's still going to get screwed over. I can't hate him or want him to die because I know he's going to die anyway - because this show likes killing off characters I like. Zarek though - I could airlock and not mind so much.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BHSWorkstation

    BHSWorkstation

    [48]Jan 26, 2009
    • member since: 01/17/09
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 35
    Sheeplikeme wrote:

    But this show wants you to love Roslin and Adama except I've never loved Adama - I always thought that he played favourites and that he had terrible blindspots and those are things about leaders that I find particularly annoying. Roslin - I've loved as a character but I'd never want as a ruler because she pulls stunts that I fundamentally disagree with.

    >

    Ultimately, I do suppose that the creators of "BSG" do want us to care about and most likely admire Adama and Rosalyn. One of the best aspects of the show, however, is that everyone - including the "heroes" - are seriously flawed. Adama has made some great moves and numerous serious errors. The characters can be both admired and questioned. Gaeta is in the same boat. He certainly has done his duty and has suffered along with everyone else. He is certainly not evil and the discovery of the nuked earth has rightly crushed everyone's hopes and pushed them to the edge. He has reason for his actions. But with less than 40,000 survivors, an armed insurrection is likely to be a very bad move. As Zarek told Gaeta, there will be "deadly consequences." So while his motivations might have justification (even though Adama certaily isn't responsible for the state of earth), he is making a mistake that will only make matters worse.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of martymcflyjb

    martymcflyjb

    [49]Jan 26, 2009
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 318
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

    WEBISODE TIMELINE:

    At the beginning of the webisodes, it states that Gaeta finds himself stranded in the Raptor with everyone already dead 9 days after finding earth. The story then quickly cuts back three more days which would mean it initially starts 6 days after the finding of earth. It seems to me with all of the recon and testing of Cylon remains found on the planet that more than a week would have had to pass.

    The placement of the webisodes is given in Episode 10. When Gaeta returns to the CIC, Col. Tigh tells him that "Cylon technology is going to keep this fleet (running?)." Gaeta objects and asks to see the Admiral to protest the installation of the new technology - he doesn't want to talk to Tigh because he's a Cylon. Col. Tigh then tells Gaeta that there is a meeting later that day in which Tyrol will be explaining the installation of the Cylon technology to Adama. This is the meeting that occurs in "A Disquiet Follows My Soul." I remembered thinking it was odd for Gaeta to be included in such a meeting until I remembered the webisodes. That clearly places the webisodes after "Sometimes A Great Notion" and immediately before "A Disquiet Follows My Soul."

    That makes perfect sense, EXCEPT for the fact that at the beginning of the webisodes, the Raptor got lost when they all jumped away because of a Cylon attack. Where was that?

    Anyway, it was an okay episode and I disagree that it was a filler episode. BSG has only had 2 filler episodes (during season 3). Filler episodes could be skipped by a viewer and nothing lost except some minor character development at most. This episode, while a little slow, had some important events and actions. The best scene was definitely Kara and Gaeta. I love that this show refuses to forget it's past, when many shows would do just that. It was a great confrontation.

    It's hard for me to get behind Gaeta, like most of us here. I feel for him, but I think he's misguided. And I watched the Webisdoes but I'm still unclear on what exactly happened between him and the 8 on New Caprica.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pumpkinhead2

    pumpkinhead2

    [50]Jan 26, 2009
    • member since: 05/13/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 155
    I am always amused by the clamouring crowd of reporters that always seem to show up for important fleet announcements. It looks like there must be dozens of them.

    They all came onboard for the decommissioning of the Galactica 4 years previously and clearly no one has found a more useful occupation for them. One subtle thing I noticed about this episode is Adama's deteriorating health.

    He is popping pills like candy and even Tighe commented that he wasn't looking well. Remember the prophesy spoke of a dying leader ... maybe that leader is Adama.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MetaLuna

    MetaLuna

    [51]Jan 26, 2009
    • member since: 12/07/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 92
    martymcflyjb wrote:

    That makes perfect sense, EXCEPT for the fact that at the beginning of the webisodes, the Raptor got lost when they all jumped away because of a Cylon attack. Where was that?

    It was a false alarm - not noteworthy, thus not in the show.

    martymcflyjb wrote:
    It's hard for me to get behind Gaeta, like most of us here. I feel for him, but I think he's misguided. And I watched the Webisdoes but I'm still unclear on what exactly happened between him and the 8 on New Caprica.

    The impression I got was that the 8 was misleading Gaeta into thinking she was assisting them. He wanted for it to be true so much that he ignored all the signs that she was not on his side. And I think a large part of the point of those episodes was that Baltar was less of a traitor than Gaeta. It took a gun to Baltar's head, but Gaeta kept playing along, using hope as an excuse.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [52]Jan 26, 2009
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    Gaeta is a bit of a follower and a bureaucrat. He kept following Baltar on New Caprica long after he realized Baltar's true character. At the same time, he did try to do something constructive by helping the Resistance. Like many of the characters, he has a lot of complications.

    Sometimes I can understand his motivations. At other times, he seems lost and misguided. I guess you could say that about many other characters though. Even Adama ended up looking pretty bad after they found the devastated Earth.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mialza

    mialza

    [53]Jan 26, 2009
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 119

    First off I agree with those who say Adama is the dying leader.

    As for the upcoming coup I have one question. Who the frak will lead the military if they succeed? Adama would be removed, Tigh will probably get airlocked, I'm 100% sure that Helo will be on Adama's side, Lee is out of the military and would also be on the Admiral's side, Starbuck wont be trusted and probably airlocked. Who is left that can actually lead the entire military. For those who think Adama and Roslin have led a dictatorship how would you like Admiral/President Zarek. The very though makes me sick. Plus for all the people who appear to be willing to mutiny how many do think are still bound to fight for Adama? For all his faults he is undeniable a great leader of men, its just where he has led them that has blown up in his face. Without him the fleet would have been destroyed long ago.

    Now for Geata. I gave always disliked him. I believe my exact words when he was shot last year were "I'm glad someone finally shot that smug SOB". The problem is that I've never been able to properly put into words why I hate him. I always thought he was a little full of himself, and a little weak. He can't let go of a grudge. For whoever said he always did the right think I'll just come back to when he lied under oath. Last time I checked perjury is one of the more serious crimes in at least our society. We damn near impeached a President for it. That's what it comes down to. Even though the only way the fleet will survive is for the people to bury their hatreds and accept the rebel Cylons they wont. Thats what separates the best leaders, like Lee and the Admiral, from the Zareks of the world. When it comes down to basic survival they can set aside differences and make the hard, and in this case impossible, decisions. My prediction is that there will be a mutiny and many people will die, and in the end those who survive, human and Cylon, will come together and move on, the result that would have happened if they could make the brave choice. What has happened before will happen again until someone is brave enough to break the cycle. I can honestly say that I could never be that person, which is why I could never be a great leader. I would be just as angry and disillusioned as Geata, and in that aspect I can at least understand why he is doing what he is doing. I just don't have to like him for i.

    After all of this I'll just say that there was one part of the episode that made me laugh. The "Sometimes I hate this job" quote just killed me and might be one of the best of the series.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of psychickiller

    psychickiller

    [54]Jan 28, 2009
    • member since: 07/30/04
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 121
    A pure drama episode; being called a 'filler' would insult it to the bone.

    Very strong character developments and lots of build-up towards the mutiny aboard the Galactica. I'm actually very eager towards the next episode, to see how the action unfolds.
    At the same time I'm disappointed at the lack of development on the various 'mysteries'. I'd really like to see more scenes about the final five and their memories, and learn more about what happened to Earth.

    Overall this episode had a lot happening, but still felt like a lot was missing:

    Kara - One amazing scene, left me wanting more of her.

    Gaius - No god? Why's the sudden change of heart? And what about Head Six, she's been missing for too long.

    Tyrol - Wooah, he's getting along with his Cylon buddies now? It came out of nowhere, kind of. I'm glad Niki is a regular kid, makes more sense about the importance of Hera. That story felt a little... thrown in, though.

    Too many things to do in 45 mins, if you ask me. I don't expect the next episode to deal with anything but the mutiny, but I hope it's done better than this episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [55]Jan 28, 2009
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    Baltar's change of heart makes sense. He thought that the Cylon God was leading them to the Promised Land. Now that Earth has been shown to be a nuclear wasteland, Baltar's God doesn't seem to have any legitimacy. Maybe this is also why Head Six seems to have disappeared. What could she say to Baltar? The promise of paradise was shown to be a sham (at least for now).

    I still think there is some twist on the quest for a new home, something involving Earth. As many have pointed out, there are still a lot of unanswered questions about Kara, the previous Cylon civilization on Earth, the Final Five, and Head Six. What is she? Something more than a delusion but maybe not an independent entity.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hazelnut144

    hazelnut144

    [56]Jan 29, 2009
    • member since: 05/01/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 365
    I think that RDM said the head people would be explained. It can't be a completely cylon issue I don't think because I read somewhere that Kara was originally not going to be alive per se, but to come back as a head Kara for Lee. Although on the other hand, Kara could be the cylon god or something....wow that would be interesting...Baltar and all the cylons have been worshiping Kara all through the show...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of zukiki

    zukiki

    [57]Jan 29, 2009
    • member since: 05/15/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 103

    In regards to head six not coming back, there was a deleted scene from the last episode we saw her in (I can't remember which episode exactly), but right before Baltar goes out into the crowds to give one of his big speeches Six comes to him and explains that she won't be visiting him again and that he didn't need her or something to that affect. It makes sense as she's been grooming him for this since day one.

    As for Head Kara, I might be remembering the podcast wrong or something, but I thought the issue was that in the initial cut of Crossroads Pt. 2 Lee was going to find Kara in his quarters at the end of the episode, but they were worried that fans would thing she was a head Kara so they established the Viper scene to prove that she was really there.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mfirefly10

    mfirefly10

    [58]Jan 29, 2009
    • member since: 02/20/08
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 235
    zukiki wrote:

    In regards to head six not coming back, there was a deleted scene from the last episode we saw her in (I can't remember which episode exactly), but right before Baltar goes out into the crowds to give one of his big speeches Six comes to him and explains that she won't be visiting him again and that he didn't need her or something to that affect. It makes sense as she's been grooming him for this since day one.

    As for Head Kara, I might be remembering the podcast wrong or something, but I thought the issue was that in the initial cut of Crossroads Pt. 2 Lee was going to find Kara in his quarters at the end of the episode, but they were worried that fans would thing she was a head Kara so they established the Viper scene to prove that she was really there.

    You're right on both counts. I do wonder if Head Six will make a re-apperance once the origin of the Head characters is revealed.

    In the entire series, there have only been 4 truly 'filler' episodes: Black Market (season 2); Hero (season 3); The Woman King (season 3); A Day in the Life (season 3)...The Woman King became filler when they dropped the story with the Saggitarrons(?). One could argue that Hero wasn't filler because it gave us background info on Adama but since that part of his history is never mentioned again (and it wasn't very believable) I chose to call it 'filler'...But no...this episode definately wasn't filler. It re-introduced several plot lines and answered at least one question (I'm speaking of Nicky's parentage...which certainly came out of the blue but at least it explains why Nicky wasn't recognized as a hybrid).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of S1Genocide

    S1Genocide

    [59]Jan 30, 2009
    • member since: 06/25/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 38
    I really think this episode was terrible without Tye and Adama the series will be unwatchable to me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hazelnut144

    hazelnut144

    [60]Jan 31, 2009
    • member since: 05/01/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 365
    S1Genocide wrote:
    I really think this episode was terrible without Tye and Adama the series will be unwatchable to me.


    Ummm I think you might be commenting on the wrong episode here. Try "The Oath" discussion topic maybe?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.