Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan" (spoilers up to S4)

123home123

[1]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 55
    The Syfy Channel television movie "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan" will air later this year. (By that time, the channel will have changed its name to the Syfy Channel.) The special event will re-examine the lead-up to the initial Cylon attack on the Colonial homeworlds, only this time from the perspective of the human-form Cylons. The featured characters (Cylon and human) will include William "Husker" Adama, Saul Tigh, Sharon Valerii, Galen Tyrol, Caprica Six, Brother John Cavil and Samuel Anders.

The script was written by co-executive producer Jane Espenson. Edward James Olmos (William Adama) is the director. No air date has been announced yet but Ronald Moore stated that he believes the movie will premiere in November of this year. November or December is the usual time period for the Syfy (Sci Fi) Channel's annual big-budget TV movies or miniseries like Tin Man and the original Battlestar Galactica Miniseries from Dec. 2003.

I decided to add the episode listing to the guide at this time because too many people are unaware of it. I've received several submissions from members that change the status of this series to "Ended". I have rejected all of those submissions precisely because "The Plan" has yet to air. This will be the real finale of BSG on TV, although it will not be a continuation of the story from "Daybreak".

Jane Espenson has said that revelations from Season 4 and other seasons will show up in "The Plan" so if you are new to the series, you should watch everything in the order that it initially aired: Miniseries, Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, "Razor", Season 4 and then "The Plan". (There are also the two "webisode" series.)

NOTE: Although I posted a spoiler warning for the thread, that mostly applies to spoilers from the previous episodes of the series. You may refer to any events, characters, revelations and story lines from previously aired episodes of the series. But do not post any spoilers from unaired material. This means that you should not post about any secret info discovered from a "spoiler site" about "The Plan". Ronald Moore does not like it when episodes and plot details get leaked in advance on the Internet or elsewhere. I will respect his wishes here and block any attempts to spread leaked info on this thread and forum. Beyond that, those leaks are not authorized and downloading leaked material involves copyright and contract violations. I won't allow this forum to be used to assist anyone in breaking the letter or the spirit of the U.S. copyright laws. (This is a U.S.-based site so we follow U.S. laws here. It doesn't matter whether other countries have a different "official" view about unauthorized downloading.)

We know that the movie will follow the human-form Cylons in the time period shortly before the Cylon attack on the Colonies (as seen in the Miniseries). This was explained in the official trailer that has aired on the Sci Fi Channel many times, so this is not an unauthorized release of information. You can post general production-related info on this thread such as confirmed air date(s) or DVD releases, but do not post specifics about the story, characters, etc. unless it was formally released by the Sci Fi (Syfy) Channel. If you have an interesting tidbit from an interview with one of the actors, writers, director or other production staff, hide the spoiler info using the "spoiler" tags. (Use the square brackets around the word "spoiler" and be sure to add a closing "spoiler" tag.)

Though "Daybreak" resolved the main story of the wandering Colonial fleet, fans still have one more official BSG installment to look forward to. "Razor" was a successful TV movie. I think "The Plan" will be successful too.
    Edited on 04/11/2009 2:29pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

seto1

[2]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 16
    Thats for the info.

Lilush23

[3]May 4, 2009
    • level: 5
    so there will be no more seasons acually right? the series is over only the final movie yet to come?.... so there is no season 5 only the movie?...

MajLorne

[4]May 6, 2009
    • level: 21

After this, BSG is finished. I mean the final episode pretty much finished off everything including setting the ship to fly into the sun. Sets and everything have all been chopped up.

There's only the Caprica show, which takes place before BSG's timeline.

Edited on 05/06/2009 6:51pm

Lilush23

[5]May 16, 2009
    yeah thanks.. cant believe its really over lol.. we need a new show now!!!

coolguy6215

[6]May 19, 2009
    • level: 2
    I am really glad SciFi decided to make a final tv movie to close out BGS. I think this will give us some answers to a lot of unanswered questions regarding the Cylon plot to destroy mankind.

my1sunshine

[7]Jun 22, 2009
    • level: 12

The new trailer has my mouth watering!!!

Check this out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDtqSyvcc8

Gets the old BSG fever burning again!

123home123

[8]Jun 30, 2009
    • level: 55
    Any idea about the exact time frame? The trailer only says that "The Plan" will air "This Fall". That could be September (unlikely because of the competition from network shows). Or it could be November (more likely).

my1sunshine

[9]Jul 1, 2009
    It's November... same as the DVD release.. but they haven't stated an exact date.

seantuck

[10]Aug 18, 2009
    • level: 8
    On the season 4.5 dvd, there is an extra where they talk a little bit and show some making of clips of The Plan........pretty short, but still very fun to watch. Really gets you excited for it!

my1sunshine

[11]Aug 24, 2009

LATEST UPDATE; The DVD will be released BEFORE the movie is aired. Release date for the DVD is October 27, 2009. The air date is still November, but amazingly.. I can't find the exact date. The aired version will be some 88 mins.. sans commercials... while the DVD will be well over 2 hours in length. That's a rather substantial amount of footage cut for the television broadcast.

10/20 EDIT: The television broadcast has been pushed to Jan of next year. Not sure why.. but... there it is.

Edited on 10/19/2009 10:51am

AnthonysLewis

[12]Oct 17, 2009
    I thought EJO has said that if The Plan sells well that SciFi is committed to making other BSG Direct-To-DVD/Blu-Ray's.

TheDementor

[13]Oct 20, 2009
    • level: 7

Just watched The Plan and was great to have a bit of new BSG to watch again. It's really interesting to see how the cylons were working onboard Galactica and the differences that exsisted between them.

Also nice to see some of the other colonies getting nuked, although the effects did look a little too cgi.

The strange thing was the nudity and sex shown was way above an average episode of BSG a bit like the Caprica pilot.

Runtime for the copy I watched was 1:51 so way over the 88 mins mentioned above.

AnthonysLewis

[14]Oct 20, 2009
    88mins is the run time for the TV version. The one you likely saw was the unrated, extended cut.

aloyoon

[15]Oct 20, 2009
    • level: 7
    i just finish watching the plan it was 112 Minute ,i actually got board watching nothing new they don't reveal any thing important and most of the movie are Scenes from the episodes

ramz1

[16]Oct 21, 2009

The Plan is allready out my friends..........badabing!!

Tadanga

[17]Oct 22, 2009
    • level: 3
    I concur with above opinions: this is mostly flashbacks from previous episodes, out of place and completely unnecessary sex scenes and nudity; and we don't really learn anything new.

Other countries would call this a Special, which is an elaborate ad for the DVD release.

SerenityNoww

[18]Oct 22, 2009
    • level: 1

Tadanga wrote:
    I concur with above opinions: this is mostly flashbacks from previous episodes, out of place and completely unnecessary sex scenes and nudity; and we don't really learn anything new. Other countries would call this a Special, which is an elaborate ad for the DVD release.

I saw nothing out of place or unnecessary about the nudity or sex.

The bog standard nudity came in two scenes. One in an bar where the barmaid is topless and the other in a mixed wash/shower room. Ronald D Moore has always hinted at the more enlightened views on gender and sexuality of the culture in BSG, so I see nothing wrong in taking the opportunity to show that kind of stuff in background of the show.

The sex scene definately not out of place, and served the suicide scene very well and only added to the emotion and poignancy of what was going on.

ScnJedi

[19]Oct 22, 2009
    • level: 6
    I watched it and I thought it was fantastic. While it didn't tell us much new stuff, and while I was disappointed with Shelly Godfrey's disappearance, I enjoyed the interactions between all the various Cylon models, especially the Cavils and Simons in both places with very different views of things. All in all, a satisfying conclusion to the greatest show tv has ever seen.

antdude

[20]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 27
    I just finished watching it. It was OK. Lots of flashbacks but some new scenes.