Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Blood on the Scales" (2) (2/6/09) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[1]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 55
    This episode continues the cliffhanger ending of "The Oath", where Lt. Gaeta and Vice President Tom Zarek led a mutiny against the "Roslin/Adama" administration. That episode ended with Roslin escaping from the Galactica. Adama and Tigh made a stand against the Marines who are now taking orders from Gaeta. The end of that episode did not look good for Adama and Tigh. (I won't mention any possible spoilers from the promo.)

I wonder if all the loose ends from this mutiny will be resolved in this episode. Either Gaeta's revolt is partially successful and he stays in control of the Galactica or other ships, or he and Zarek will be captured or killed, but perhaps not in this episode. Adama said that there would be no forgiveness for the mutineers, not like in the aftermath of New Caprica. IF Adama survives, what is he going to do to all of those Marines and officers who followed Gaeta and Zarek? And when does Cavil re-enter the picture?

Should be a great episode. I'll add the poll after the episode airs.
    Edited on 02/06/2009 6:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kanniballl

[2]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 18

With so few episodes left, the mutiny is adding a lot to the storyboard that needs closure.

As you state, besides wrapping up the actual mutiny there's the whole aftermath to deal with.

- If Adam regains control, what does he do with the mutineers?

- If Gaeta maintains, what will happen to Adam and company?

- Is there a third option?

Meanwhile we still have to wrap up the fleet's journey. Will they find a new home? What happens with Cavil? Will they find survivors from Earth? What is really going on with Starbuck?

My guess is the whole mutiny business will just END because a larger threat appears: namely Cavil. Whatever Gaeta may feel, they will need the whole fleet to survive an encounter: including Adama's leadership and the Cylon mothership (as damaged as it is).

xanderfi

[3]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 5
    kanniballl wrote:

With so few episodes left, the mutiny is adding a lot to the storyboard that needs closure.

As you state, besides wrapping up the actual mutiny there's the whole aftermath to deal with.

Meanwhile we still have to wrap up the fleet's journey. Will they find a new home? What happens with Cavil? Will they find survivors from Earth? What is really going on with Starbuck?

My guess is the whole mutiny business will just END because a larger threat appears: namely Cavil. Whatever Gaeta may feel, they will need the whole fleet to survive an encounter: including Adama's leadership and the Cylon mothership (as damaged as it is).

I definately agree with that. I think the only way either side gets a stay of execution is if a third party, like Cavil and the other Cylons enter the party. Otherwise, Gaeta and Zarek are too deep to go back now and with as angry as the Old Man seemed I would doubt he would go back on his word. So I would guess that either the fleet tears itself apart in the next episode or someone else enters the picture and everything is put on hold to deal with the third party, whether its cavil or something else.

I'm guessing that the Episode will deal with tying up the loose ends of the mutiny but hopefully they will start to answer some of the other questions. I'm not Starbuck's biggest fan, but I definately want to find out what happened to her and who or what she is. They mentioned it a little bit last episode with Narcho, so maybe they're starting to work that in as well.

scififan12921

[4]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 6
    kanniballl wrote:

I agree there's a lot to wrap up. My feeling is they will have to deal with the mutiny, then Cavil and the last 2-3 episodes will be about finding a new home. If Cavil makes an appearance here I think it will be right near the end of the episode.

AndreasOS

[5]Feb 5, 2009

I was sitting in a bar in germany this time last week, and Sky One from Ireland was on (not sure how, but it was an Irish Bar), and a preview for BSG popped up. I wont mention spoilers. I hate those previews. But suffice to say, one of the scenes in the preview was not in last weeks episode, which leads me to believe that the mutiny will be dealt with before Cavil turns up. Lets face it, Gaeta has no tactical experience, and if he's in charge, all he'll be able to do is tell the fleet to jump to emergency RV point, and then get the Galactica destroyed... He's useless in command.

Anyway, after the preview, I got quite drunk, trying, of course, to wipe it from my memory... It mostly worked, but that one scene stuck with me...

seantuck

[6]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 8
    I have high hopes for this episode and I dont think it will disappoint! I just can't wait to see Roslins, "I'm coming for all of you!" quote in the actually episode rather than watching the preview over and over!

inad1212

[7]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 8
    Since Spoilers is said in the Main Thread Title I can say this. If Tigh is dead like Gaeta said in the preiview I will be heart broken. Cylon or not he is my favorite Character. He is the man. Long live Tigh.

darth_mage

[8]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 10
    Even if Tigh did die their (the final five's) method of resurrection may still be around earth somewhere, possibly under the surface, so his death may not be permanent.

alllstarz

[9]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 4

Absolutley amazing episode. Man i haven't been this amped for a conclusion since They returned to new caprica, the peagsus, and finding kobal.

I am so excitied for next week's episode, and yet still dont want the series to end.

I am needing clarification on one part. When Balter was warning Fleix he knew what he had done back at new caprica did he eventually say what it was?

Im glad they got what they got... but doesn't it seem a lot more people were apart of the coup and that they are going to have to kill a lot more people?

So Amped for next week's epsiode though.

zukiki

[10]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 10
    alllstarz wrote:

I am needing clarification on one part. When Balter was warning Fleix he knew what he had done back at new caprica did he eventually say what it was?

It's from the Face of the Ememy Webisodes. Geata wrote lists of people for an Eight (model) to rescue, but instead she was using the list to pick people to kill.

On to the episode. I almost kind of liked it. As someone who can't stand Micheal Angeli as a writer, this was by far his best episode. Tyrol's storyline was a joke, and completely useless except for the last 2 seconds, which near as I can tell is a foreshadow of the ship literally coming apart at the seams.

The episode was written fairly well, Roslin wasn't the angry B!tch she normally is when Angeli writes, there may be hope for him yet.

Ultimately what I didn't like was that they were going for conflicting view points. Trusting the cylons so implicitly is a really dangerous thing that could potentially wipe out civilization. Yet instead of looking at the issue, they made Zarek into the heartless villian, and just kinda took the ship back with brute force...or ya know just looking at people until that switched sides back to Adama.

But even though I'm not too crazy about how they went about it, at least Zarek, Geata and the Quorum are dead...they were long overdue anyway.

Next week looks awesome, and I have high hopes that the show will finally get back on track for the end!

wedgeantilles54

[11]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 12

Another great episode

Zarack is finally revaled to the fleet for the power mad guy he is, and wow the quaram finally grews some balls and all it did was get them killed

Baltar is finally understanding himself more and admiting his faults

I also wasn't too suprised at number of crew who supported adama retaking the ship i think alot of them just went along with what was happening so that they wouldn't get killed, and when the chance came to act they took it. I think Kelly and his change of heart was interesting but at the same time confusing. Tyrol said something about him being in the brig, when did that happen i might have missed it but i'm pretty sure i didn't (anyone know the deal on that?)

The lawyer reapearing was an interesting twist espically considering he saw through what zarack and geata where up to.
    I also find it interesting that he killed the rouge marine and then decied to help starbuck, which is out of character for him from what we have seen of him up to this point.

Rosyln's "I'm coming for all of you" was pretty kick ass too.

I was a little disapointed that starbuck pretty much lost all interest in what was going on after sam got hit.

Cerrav

[12]Feb 6, 2009
    alllstarz wrote:

Absolutley amazing episode. Man i haven't been this amped for a conclusion since They returned to new caprica, the peagsus, and finding kobal.

I am so excitied for next week's episode, and yet still dont want the series to end.

Im glad they got what they got... but doesn't it seem a lot more people were apart of the coup and that they are going to have to kill a lot more people?

So Amped for next week's epsiode though.

Watch the webisodes the led up to the season premiere. It will answer your question concerning what Baltar said to Felix.

Amazing episode. Really don't want to see this series end!

Maxilicious

[13]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 2
    Excellent episode. Just, wow. I'm looking forward to next Friday like never before. I haven't been this worked up about Battlestar Galactica since Adama was shot at the end of Season One. This is a good sign, a very, very good sign.
    ***SPOILER***

lunachan01

[14]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 7
    Wow that was a hell of an episode. New famous quote from Roslin: I'm coming for all of you!!!!!I can not wait for next week from what I saw on the preview answers are coming. Also It seems the theory that some people have been writing here turns out to be trught; there is an Earth resurrection ship for Cylons and we gonna see it next week

my1sunshine

[15]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 12

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER.

(I'm sorry, but this is just to bif not to talk about, so if you're reading.. oh well.

Oh, my Lord. Holy Frakin' S*@&t!!!

I had to reserve my feedback until I saw the conclusion, but.. wow! That had to be the most amazing two parter I've ever seen on this show. When Zarek ordered the death of the entire Quorum, I freaked. He killed the entire civillian goverment! No more wondering whether he's a black or white hat. So much to say about this one.

Continuing the action and suspense of The Oath, this one speeds along like a frieght train. I love the bit with the grenade. Nice to see little miss "eternally frakin with you" Kar, gettin fraked with by Lee. " Not funny. No. Not funny." Lol!

I loved Kelly switching sides, and Hot Dog choosing not to fire on the President! Olmos, and especially Mary deserve special acting nods. Laura's fury at the announcement of Bill's execution.. Bill's anger while retaking the bridge, and then the intense hurt when he faced Felix. And what a joy to see Lampkin, and playing the hero. What will become of Sam now? Kara's decision to stay with him in the face of certain death, after their long estrangement was extremely touching.

I knew that this whole thing would end with Tom getting axed. Felix, I wasn't sure. But Adama couldn't really have handled it any other way, could he?

And wonders never cease, I do belive the Baltar is finally becoming a genuine human being... for real this time.

I couldn't help feeling exited about Sam dying, and feeling bad about it.. but then we would know.. wouldn't we?

Then I saw the preview.

I'll say it again.

Holy frackin' s*@$t!

Edited on 02/06/2009 8:30pm

danharr

[16]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 45
    Good episode wrapped up the coup storyline nicely and as any show reaching it's end plenty of characters were burned off. Kudos to wondering if Tigh and or Adama would go. I know main character blah blah blah but since it's the end of the shows run I for one was wondering how it'd all play out. Nice move even bringing back the sleazy lawyer who got to ice a guard nice. Funny Gaeta's leg stopped hurting finally well since pain is a mental reaction guess old Gaeta had more pressing things on his mind sitting in that chair than leg pain.......

lunachan01

[17]Feb 6, 2009
    Gaeta is finally deathhhhh!!!! I was f@$%^&* time they eliminated Gaeta I always hate that characther

QingJao86

[18]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 4
    lunachan01 wrote:
    Gaeta is finally deathhhhh!!!! I was f@$%^&* time they eliminated Gaeta I always hate that characther

I for one am actually kindof suprised that they actually killed Gaeta. I mostly liked Gaeta until the end of the last season and most of what he has done so far has been on the side of good (and just about everything is understandable). Whereas Zarek is just a pure evil sociopath. I mean think about where the human race would be now if not for Gaeta, probably still stuck on New Caprica with even less hope then before as both battlestars might have just gotten themselves blown out of the sky (not to mention at the very least Roslin, Starbuck, Tigh, Chief, and the like would all be dead by now (though they might have given up without the knowledge of what to strike.) Though you noticed, they were executing 2 people and only never showed anyone die, maybe they all shot Zarek, I would certainly agree with that.

pureWasted

[19]Feb 6, 2009

Gaeta's been handled so sloppily ever since the 4.5 premiere, it was nice to see his side of the story told with some compassion, even if it took turning Zarek into a COMPLETE dirtbag to do it. In that respect (and most others, actually) I agree completely with Zukiki.

I do think that a few of the scenes could have been handled better -- for example, if we, the audience, hadn't heard the phone call Zarek received, and didn't know that his message "Tigh's just been shot trying to escape" was a lie. It would have sold us on Adama's reaction far, far more. The same with Adama getting shot and Roslin finding out -- obviously they can't pull the same trick twice in one episode, but they could have applied it into either one.

Mary McDonnell was really something, though, wasn't she? I think everyone's been waiting on "I'M COMING FOR ALL OF YOU!" and boy, did she deliver on the hype. Even her speech about Adama's recovery was heartbreaking. Before A Disquiet I never much cared for Roslin, because she was always so haughty and confident, even at the expense of others (treated Kara, Helo, Lee like crap, just to name a few)... but since the discovery of Earth, I feel like ROSLIN's been brought down to Earth, and that's made her far, far more relatable.

The BIGGEST missed opportunity on the show... yet SO close... the one character outside of Adama whose name could pull off the rank of Admiral... hell, Adama hands over the Admiralcy... and nobody, not even Mr. Zarek, thinks to call him Admiral Gaeta? What a waste.

lunachan01

[20]Feb 6, 2009
    I for one like seen thing get resolve now. Still something they forgot to show is Anders dead or not. Even if he dies I know he is coming back because Helen Tigh is coming back next week so there is a resurrection ship for the final five.