Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Blood on the Scales" (2) (2/6/09) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

scififan12921

[41]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 6
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:

Another great episode!

123home123 wrote:
    Likewise, I wondered about what was going on with Tyrol. Was that a rupture of the outer hull? If so, why wasn't the atmosphere venting? Maybe the hull plating hadn't been breached completely.

The structure looked more to be a part of a door frame rather than an outer hull piece. In the "You will know the truth" pieces, you see Adama looking at these cracks in a door frame in what looks like his quarters. The old ship's taken a beating over the years.

It was pretty cool seeing the actual FTL drives. (I assume that's what they were) They certainly looked like something that was "spun up" and ready to use.

As for Zarek being responsible for the planned assassination of Rosalyn, I always thought that Ellen had a role in that. Telling someone where the assassin was when she was told at that bar on Cloud nine.

Again, anyone notice that Sharon seems very un-concerned that Caprica-six is getting very close to Hera? In just a few episodes before, she murdered a six because of her paranoia in this.

Mr BO

I think Sharon may be putting more faith in Caprica Six because she is pregnant. She's assuming Six will have the same protectiveness of her baby that she had of hers when she was pregnant. I also think that's going to come back on her. Helo went with Six and Hera though so you never know.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

scififan12921

[42]Feb 7, 2009

These last episodes just get better and better!! Glad Zarek finally got his. I also find it interesting that the group showing the most loyalty to Adama while taking back the ship has four cylons in it. If they are going to break the "this has happened before and will happen again" cycle those relationships may well be the key. Tory is really starting to bug me-she gives her loyalty based totally on who she thinks has the most power or influence. Better keep her away from Cavil or she'll side with him next.

Daxx00004

[43]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 9
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:

Another great episode!

123home123 wrote:
    Likewise, I wondered about what was going on with Tyrol. Was that a rupture of the outer hull? If so, why wasn't the atmosphere venting? Maybe the hull plating hadn't been breached completely.

The structure looked more to be a part of a door frame rather than an outer hull piece. In the "You will know the truth" pieces, you see Adama looking at these cracks in a door frame in what looks like his quarters. The old ship's taken a beating over the years.

It was pretty cool seeing the actual FTL drives. (I assume that's what they were) They certainly looked like something that was "spun up" and ready to use.

As for Zarek being responsible for the planned assassination of Rosalyn, I always thought that Ellen had a role in that. Telling someone where the assassin was when she was told at that bar on Cloud nine.

Again, anyone notice that Sharon seems very un-concerned that Caprica-six is getting very close to Hera? In just a few episodes before, she murdered a six because of her paranoia in this.

Mr BO

She was so worried about Helo she wasn't paying attention. Or since Six is pregnant she no longer worries that Caprica Six will take her baby.

pureWasted

[44]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 7

123home123 wrote:

Well, this IS the same Caprica Six that saved Athena and Hera back during the Eye of Jupiter/Rapture arc. I would assume this buys her some brownie points.

QingJao86

[45]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 4
    I was just thinking, Caprica 6 and Baltar never seem to talk to each other anymore, or their mental each others anymore. I get that they are both busy, but they clearly are very into each other... so I wonder why that is. Is Baltar just trying to prevent from being blamed for everything that happened (though they don't know that Caprica 6 was involved, and now Roslin knows and has managed to move on...). So any ideas on why they are never seen together anymore.

martymcflyjb

[46]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 10

Well Caprica Six has been in the brig for a while, so that may have prevented interaction between the two. Why we haven't seen much of Head Six in a while I'm not sure.

:
    Tyrol's storyline was a joke, and completely useless except for the last 2 seconds,

Are you serious? He was instrumental in Kelly changing sides. Did you miss that scene??

Great episode. Not as flawless as The Oath, but a great conclusion to the mutiny storyline. As soon as Zarek had the Quorum slaughtered (I was so shocked, I had to rewind and watch again), any argument that Gaeta and Zarek were justified went out the window, so I hope we don't see anyone still defending them. I actually clapped when nameless Quorum dude said "we think you should leave, Mr. VICE President". Never expected Zarek to go that far. If he had succeeded in his coup de tat, how exactly was he going to explain that?

I was really thinking Gaeta was going to blow Zarek's head off at the end when Zarek was like "Wake up, Gaeta!" I would have loved to see that. I agree Gaeta's smile at Zarek right before the execution was odd, as Gaeta had seemingly seen the error of his ways. Perhaps it was a smile of pleasure that this evil man was finally getting what he deserved.

I really like Sam, so it was hard to see him get shot. I hope he makes it. He's one of the characters I'd like to see survive in the end.

Can't wait for next week. That preview was great!

tribalchic

[47]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 17

QingJao86 wrote:
    I was just thinking, Caprica 6 and Baltar never seem to talk to each other anymore, or their mental each others anymore. I get that they are both busy, but they clearly are very into each other... so I wonder why that is. Is Baltar just trying to prevent from being blamed for everything that happened (though they don't know that Caprica 6 was involved, and now Roslin knows and has managed to move on...). So any ideas on why they are never seen together anymore.

She seems to be a guide.

When he is focused and coherent and capable of making the RIGHT decisions he dosen't seem to need her as much. She only seems to appear when he loses his way or when there is something that needs to be done.

But one has to argue, if she can fade in an out like that it would seem to be more of a mental coping device in Baltars head (much like an imaginary friend that kids learn to eventually let go of) rather than an actual mutual connection that they both share. Maybe it was just guilt that allowed both of them to make up these "imaginary" consciouses to help cope with the way they were separated and to deal with everything that was happening around them.

Edited on 02/07/2009 7:01pm

QingJao86

[48]Feb 7, 2009
    Whatever the case I hope they make sure to explain the head versions in the next couple episodes before the end.

oddbodd72

[49]Feb 8, 2009
    Anyone know the significance of the white square over Adama's chest when he gets shot in Baltar's vision? I saw that and just kind of went, "Huh?"
    Edited on 02/08/2009 3:40am

ode_ssa

[50]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 5

oddbodd72 wrote:
    Anyone know the significance of the white square over Adama's chest when he gets shot in Baltar's vision? I saw that and just kind of went, "Huh?"

I've been wondering that too... and yet I have no clue on what this might be!

The last two episodes were great, yet I think they were meant to distract us from the real issues of the show, and the real answers we're all expecting...

I really can't wait to see how it all ends!!!

scififan12921

[51]Feb 8, 2009
    oddbodd72 wrote:

since it was a vision it was probably how he imagines it would be for him if he was being executed. Not able to see who it is and having the heart for a target.

MrBovineOrdure

[52]Feb 8, 2009

oddbodd72 wrote:

Just a good place to hide the squibs.

I just thought it made the heart a better target.

Notice that in both the real executions, they didn't use a blindfold. At least Gaeta got a last smoke.

Mr BO

Edited on 02/08/2009 6:16am

ISpeakTheTruth

[53]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 33
    This was a truly great episode. I have to say that Zarak went alot further than I thought he would by killing the Quarum in cold blood. I also thought that it was interesting that Baltar felt guilty about leaving his 'flock' behind on Galactica as well as his final talk to Gaeta it really shows that maybe he's becoming a good person... well as good as he can be.

Now speaking of Gaeta... honestly I stopped liking him after he lied during Baltar's trial. Though I did find it nice that at the end he decided to stop the madness. As for his and Zarak's smile to eachother I found it strangely nice in a way because they both did what they thought was right for the fleet. Obviously they took things way too far to be defended in any sense of the word... but they still did what they thought was right.

And Yes! My man Tigh didn't get killed good for him. Am I the only one that wants to see some more Tigh/Caprica Six stuff? They are getting very little lines together.

my1sunshine

[54]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 12

scififan12921 wrote:
    oddbodd72 wrote:
    since it was a vision it was probably how he imagines it would be for him if he was being executed. Not able to see who it is and having the heart for a target.

This was actually the way it was done in many firing squads. The execution of a leader, who, no matter what the circumstances, or what you thought of him.. and was very much loved and respectied, can be trying and emotionally stressfull to the shooters. A missfire could result in excessive pain and suffering before death. The large white patch over the heart is an easy target, and ensures that the target's death is as instantanious and painless as possible. So, in some ways.. it's considered respectful and merciful. We know that this was just Baltar's vison, though.. and that Adama would have toldFelix to go frak himself before he let them but such a patch on him. No blindfold, either. I can hear him now. " If you're gonna do it, Mr. Geita, do it. But I'll be damned if you're gonna escape looking in my eyes when I'm dying for my ship."

guyroy1971

[55]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 12
    loved the episode but I have a question about it. What was the significance of the six Baltar meets on the basestar. She had a new hairstyle and his look when he met her seemed to imply some significance, but I couldn't figure it out.

scififan12921

[56]Feb 8, 2009
    guyroy1971 wrote:
    loved the episode but I have a question about it. What was the significance of the six Baltar meets on the basestar. She had a new hairstyle and his look when he met her seemed to imply some significance, but I couldn't figure it out.

good point, her hair is similar to either Gina or Natalie. They also mention in "the Hub" that they have access to other downloads-(the eight that access's Athena's last download because she was curious). So maybe that six accessed Caprica Six's memories and has a thing for Baltar. Also, going back to season one every time Baltar has an emotional epiphany there is some version of Six involved.

martymcflyjb

[57]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 10

guyroy1971 wrote:

The Sixes seem innately drawn to Baltar in the same way the Leoben's have a connection to Kara. Baltar spent some time in exile on one of the basestars, so this was an opportunity for other Sixes to see him and develop an affinity for him. Plus, they've surely heard of his proclaiming of the one true God in the fleet. In this case, I think we just had another Six comforting/romancing Baltar since Caprica Six is not present.

QingJao86

[58]Feb 8, 2009
    martymcflyjb wrote:

guyroy1971 wrote:

The Sixes seem innately drawn to Baltar in the same way the Leoben's have a connection to Kara. Baltar spent some time in exile on one of the basestars, so this was an opportunity for other Sixes to see him and develop an affinity for him. Plus, they've surely heard of his proclaiming of the one true God in the fleet. In this case, I think we just had another Six comforting/romancing Baltar since Caprica Six is not present.

Ahhh... to be married to the entire line of 6ths or 8ths... life is good...

scififan12921

[59]Feb 8, 2009
    my1sunshine wrote:

scififan12921 wrote:
    oddbodd72 wrote:

This was actually the way it was done in many firing squads. The execution of a leader, who, no matter what the circumstances, or what you thought of him.. and was very much loved and respectied, can be trying and emotionally stressfull to the shooters. A missfire could result in excessive pain and suffering before death. The large white patch over the heart is an easy target, and ensures that the target's death is as instantanious and painless as possible. So, in some ways.. it's considered respectful and merciful. We know that this was just Baltar's vison, though.. and that Adama would have toldFelix to go frak himself before he let them but such a patch on him. No blindfold, either. I can hear him now. " If you're gonna do it, Mr. Geita, do it. But I'll be damned if you're gonna escape looking in my eyes when I'm dying for my ship."

that makes sense. Adama definitely would have said something like that.

Mangalore

[60]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 7
    ISpeakTheTruth wrote:

Now speaking of Gaeta... honestly I stopped liking him after he lied during Baltar's trial. Though I did find it nice that at the end he decided to stop the madness. As for his and Zarak's smile to eachother I found it strangely nice in a way because they both did what they thought was right for the fleet. Obviously they took things way too far to be defended in any sense of the word... but they still did what they thought was right.....

They simply didn't want to go out with hate in their guts. That's my take on it, in the same sense Gaeta talked with Baltar and just said he was kind of happy how things turnt out. It was more about closure and accepting death than anything else.

Imo Gaeta shows the failure of Adama and Roslin. When a guy like him decides to turn against them and goes all out you have to admit that you screwed up. The whole thing about BSG is that people do not make perfect decisions. They left Gaeta hanging out there after he had taken a bullet that cost him his leg for the service and after that he is just left screwed. No pad on the back, none scolded or punished anyone having taken a shot at him, the only one that lost was him. Given that Gaeta was not a stupid person you'd have to expect that at one point he'll take it personal and start to question his priorities (duty, loyality,...) and start to redefine them when he sees decisions he doesn't buy into.

No, I do not blame Gaeta for doing what he did. I blame him for doing it with Zarek as his buddy. Given that he is clever he should have known how Zarek would do things...