Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Daybreak, Part 1" (3/13/09) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[1]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 55
    This is the first part of the series finale. The Sci Fi Schedulebot is listing this as "Daybreak, Part 1" while the two hours on March 20 are listed as a single "Daybreak, Part 2". Since that two-hour block is likely to be sold as two separate downloads on sites like iTunes and Amazon Unbox, I broke it up into "Daybreak (2)" and "Daybreak (3)" on the guide.

I still haven't managed to see last Friday's episode although I have it recorded on the DVR. A strange convergence is going on. As the series winds down, I'm kind of wondering if my time on TV.com itself is winding down too. (It's a long story and a frustrating one. Though I've never been a troll or gamer, I've been hit with several warnings this past winter because of a serious situation going on at the site, one which I don't agree with.) So you'll have to excuse me a bit if my enthusiasm is lagging for all things TV.com.

Hard to believe that BSG is almost at the end. Onscreen, it's been 4 full seasons plus the Miniseries, the TV specials and the TV movies like "Razor" (and "The Plan", which will air later in the year). In terms of the "real" calendar, it's been almost 5 1/2 years since the spectacular BSG Miniseries first aired on the Sci Fi Channel, in early December 2003, before TV.com was even around. (TVTome existed, which later transformed into TV.com through various combinations.)

I'd hope that people will hang around the forum even after the series finale, maybe to bring up new points as they watch the DVDs again. There may be new insights once the prequel Caprica series gets underway. Although discussion of specific Caprica episodes should be directed to the forum for that series, there may also be opportunities to have BSG-specific discussions on this forum. I just hope I'm around on the site to see it.

Get ready for the penultimate night of BSG (excluding the TV movie "The Plan").
    Edited on 03/13/2009 7:24pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

haldrey

[2]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 22
    Just 5 more days 'till the start of the end, that's sad. And do not worry will be here to talk about one of the greatest TV show.

psychickiller

[3]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 9
    Looks like it's going to be a really beautiful and sad ending... Just like we expect it to be. I won't be around to watch it right away though, but I'll try to join up the conversation as soon as I can

It's been fun hanging out on this forum with you, fellas.

MrBovineOrdure

[4]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 6
    123home123 wrote:
    I'm kind of wondering if my time on TV.com itself is winding down too. (It's a long story and a frustrating one. Though I've never been a troll or gamer, I've been hit with several warnings this past winter because of a serious situation going on at the site, one which I don't agree with.) So you'll have to excuse me a bit if my enthusiasm is lagging for all things TV.com.

I'm going to miss this site too. I've posted elsewhere, but none with the frequency of the BSG forum. It'll have to wait till there's another show I'm as enthusiastic about.

123home123. 15,000+ posts. Whew! How'd you get here? Became the moderator? What were (in very general terms) the problems this winter?

I'm sure others as I would be interested to see your story in another thread.

Mr BO

Hungry_Homer111

[5]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 26
    I'm a bit conflicted with this episode. On one hand, this second half of the season has been amazing for the most part ("Deadlock was a bit disappointing, not bad, but not as good as it could have been), and it promises to be a great ending. Last episode seemed to have set things up quite nicely, even if it didn't answer many questions, and made it so that I'm almost completely certain that this episode(s) will not disappoint.

On the other hand, like most people here, I really don't want to see it end. When I first started watching, I admit that I wasn't as thrilled with the show as other people were. I thought it was overrated, but still very good. But, as time went on, as I got more and more into the characters and their situations, and I was pulled further into the BSG universe, I just became addicted. It has not only grown on me, but has in fact become my favorite show of all time, and that is saying a lot. So I don't really want to see it ending, even though I'm also dying to see how it ends.

I have recently started rewatching the first season with my dad, who is watching it for the first time. Similar to how I was at first, he didn't love it at first, but I think he's starting to get more into it. I'm hoping to make him a fan of the show as well. But even if I don't, this rewatch of the show has given me an even great appreciation of the show, reminding me of where these characters started, how much they've grown, and all of the situations that they went through. Also, I did not realize until the rewatch how much I had forgotten about the earlier episodes. I remember some of the better, more important moments, but just seeing it play out again, almost as if brand new, and with everything I know now (who the Cylons are, etc.) just makes it that much better.

BHSWorkstation

[6]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 4

WORST EPISODE EVER!!!

Yes, I haven't even seen this episode and I already know it is going to be the worst ever! I just know that there is going to be a monumental build-up, they are going to tease and entice us until we are begging for more. Probably one big question will be answered and several of the others will be almost answered. The final confrontation will be presented and then it will stop with the most frustrating cliffhanger ever (no doubt worse than my personal favorite where we were left wondering if Adama and Cain would commit mutual assassination). My wife will shriek shrilly as she is wont to do. Then I won't be able to sleep for the entire following week as she prompts me with a new question (What is kara??, What's up with the opera house?, Is EVERYONE going to die?, etc.) each time I am finally about to nod off into the sweet land of dreams. And the worse part? I am going to love it. Hate it and love it. I've resigned myself to the fact that "BSG" is an abusive relationship and that I will always go back for more... or least I WISH I had the opportunity to keep coming back for more.

tguedry82

[7]Mar 12, 2009
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

WORST EPISODE EVER!!!

Yes, I haven't even seen this episode and I already know it is going to be the worst ever! I just know that there is going to be a monumental build-up, they are going to tease and entice us until we are begging for more. Probably one big question will be answered and several of the others will be almost answered. The final confrontation will be presented and then it will stop with the most frustrating cliffhanger ever (no doubt worse than my personal favorite where we were left wondering if Adama and Cain would commit mutual assassination). My wife will shriek shrilly as she is wont to do. Then I won't be able to sleep for the entire following week as she prompts me with a new question (What is kara??, What's up with the opera house?, Is EVERYONE going to die?, etc.) each time I am finally about to nod off into the sweet land of dreams. And the worse part? I am going to love it. Hate it and love it. I've resigned myself to the fact that "BSG" is an abusive relationship and that I will always go back for more... or least I WISH I had the opportunity to keep coming back for more.

OMG, are you my husband! LOL I do the same exact thing to him! He got me hooked on this show like a year ago. I agreed to watch Razor only after I had denied I'd ever watch it for months as he begged me to give it a try. Now that I am hooked more-so than him, he cannot stand when the episode is over because it's all I want to talk about! I feel for you only because I know how annoying I must be for my husband!

ebony_kunoichi

[8]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 13
    shoot I wish my husband would watch omg, BSG would bring us closer. I need to get him to watch the mini-series first I guess.

tguedry82

[9]Mar 13, 2009
    That's how he got me! First with the Razor movie, then the mini-series, and then I was like "what have I been missing all this time!" That's all I think about as it comes to an end, is man I wish I would have been watching this show from the begining because now it feels like it's been such a short run.

ISpeakTheTruth

[10]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 33
    Am I the only one a bit frustrated at the lack of progression in this episode? I mean they spent half the episode going back in time with Laura and Kara back on Caprica.... I don't care. Come on there is one episode left and they squeeze the only realy substance of the episode in the last 10 minutes everything else was so un-needed.

goodridd

[11]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 17

ISpeakTheTruth wrote:
    Am I the only one a bit frustrated at the lack of progression in this episode? I mean they spent half the episode going back in time with Laura and Kara back on Caprica.... I don't care. Come on there is one episode left and they squeeze the only realy substance of the episode in the last 10 minutes everything else was so un-needed.

Nope, I feel the same as you. I was hoping for a lot more from this episode.

Fjaman

[12]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 5

yeah it was pretty weak, i guess the caprica part was due to the prequel series caprica, you really dont care about character developement at this stage, i mean thereĀ“s only 1 episode left who the hell cares about roslins sisters etc...

Last half of the episode was good not great but good, feels like this season lost some steam in the middle they could probably have cut 3 or 4 episodes and it would have been alot better. I have high hope for the finale...

antdude

[13]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 27
    This was a slow one and a filler. I bet this was the extra episode we got. Ending was good though!

Eric10301

[14]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 12
    It felt like they were wasting precious time. I don't see how the Caprica flashbacks brought anything to the table except to make me roll my eyes when Roslin got into the fountain. I also expected Gaius to cross the line but it's obvious he will be going on the mission anyway so it doesn't matter. Tons of stuff to answer and only 2 hours (1 ep) to do it.

PaintyNZ

[15]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 8

CL_ComicBookGuy..."WORST EPISODE EVER!" Everything relevenat in the programme could have been covered in 5 minutes. Are they saving the budget for special effects for the final (gods I hope so). 1/10 very very disappointed

The flashbacks were totally pointless and conveyed nothing releveant. Even the volunteer sequence was dragged out to the max. What was Ron Moore on???

Edited on 03/14/2009 1:01am

trip31

[16]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 12
    ISpeakTheTruth wrote:

Yeah I'm a bit concerned they're not going to have an actual conclusion i.e. wrap things up if they can just throw an episode away with flashbacks that don't relate to the show in any way. Next week will we just be left with a. We got Hera back so will just continue limping through space until we figure out what's so special about her or b. Galactica's been destroyed what do the rest of us do?

webe123

[17]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 4

Well for those that think it is the worst episode ever, you seem to have forgotten the TRIPE episodes we have seen in the past! This simply sets it up for the two episode finale. And they COULDN'T end the series without explaining what the characters were doing before and how it pertains to now.

What I am waiting for though, is the last two episodes. I always said that IF the Battlestar Galactica was going to be destroyed, then let it go out with a bang and take DOWN all the stupid cylons that were bad with it!

These two episodes SHOULD show the humans getting their revenge on the Cylons that have made their lives so miserable in the first place! In other words an eye FOR an eye! I hope they take down the bad cylons homeworld, just as the bad cylons took down Caprica!

I think if the bad cylons are allowed to live, I will be dissapointed. After all whats the point of this war if all they are going to show, is the bad guys winning?

Edited on 03/14/2009 3:50am
    Edited 4 total times.

waz666

[18]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 3
    Hey BSG fans, This ep was great. For me 9.5/10. One of the main attraction for BSG is it character building/backgrounds. And now also at the conclusion I'm thing about what's to happen to these people. As well as who/what is playing at the strings of the overall picture. Thinking the flash backs are a link to the answer.

Thing Hera drawing all the dots is something to do with asteroid field and may the black hole is the way to real promise land.

soundpit

[19]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 1
    Yeah I was about to say that myself. They'll go through the black hole and find another Earth-Like planet on the other side.

Invader_of_53

[20]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 7
    Go though a black hole and make it safely to the other side to find a new world? What show have you people been watching all this time? This isn't Stargate! I doubt resolution will come so clean and easy.

I, personally am in more of the mind to hold back a real opinion of this episode because it really felt like only a third of a very large episode.

Despite that and that I felt ill at the time, which clearly hampered my viewing experience, I have to say I enjoyed it. I thought the flashbacks were setting up a bookend in the lives of these people. Clearly things are about to come to a close (at least for Roslin, who looks like she can barely stand), so I think it's only fitting we look through the window of their respective pasts to see what their lives were like before this life-changing thing happened to them all. My only criticism was with a drunken Lee shooing away a pigeon. I'm sure there's some metaphor there (though, I don't know what), but it still looks like a stop-and-tie-your-shoes moment that could have been cut without even the slightest sense of loss.

I only fear that some of the burning issues won't be addressed. I'm not talking about things like the Opera House or the music, but things like Tyrol's reaction to Tory's murdering Cally; or how Tigh, who has accepted his Cylon nature, still seems to go through the motions as if he were human. I think some of the deeper issues that they've been building up (some within the last few episodes) may be left hanging in the breeze. And while I don't want to be one of those people circling the wagon on the issues of "we need answers", I'm very anxious to find out how so many of the big things that have been guaranteed to be answered will be pulled off so effectively. I mean, Hera, the promised land, the spectres, Kara's return - that's a lot to cover in 90 minutes and resolve the more superficial plot threads. I could say something about the suspicion that many are going to hate the finale, but given the reaction to the recent episodes, we might as well select a certain number of the herd as haters right here and now.