Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Daybreak, Part 1" (3/13/09) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

ScnJedi

[41]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 6

MrBovineOrdure wrote:
    William Adama being asked to do something he didn't want to do. Did I miss something? What was being asked of him? To decomission Galactica?

No, I'm willing to bet he had to go to court to bail out Lee, the drunk driver who killed Roslin's sisters and father.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TVanimal

[42]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 9

All in all i agree with most of the comments i've seen, i also wrote a review praising the episode already so i feel i may be repeating itself.

I think the episode began very slowly with all the flashbacks to before the Cylon attack, though i think that the tone of the show and the story made it work, most flashbacks being very dull yet having a personal edge for the individuals they portray (this maybe reflecting the deep feelings they have for each other and the Galactica).

What was good about this episode was how it reflected the fleets need for Galactica...the engineer talking about ripping out Galactica's heart and Baltars speech about how the members of the fleet looking out a window and seeing the bulk of Galactica representing strength and hope.

the end scene with Adama asking for volunteers on the mission to retrieve Hera was touching and perfectly done ...to the point where i've already watched that scene alone about 10 times.!

Can't wait for the other two episodes to round off the series!!

my1sunshine

[43]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 12
    Drewligarchy wrote:

I genuinely like this episode and the flashbacks, and I'm certain that they will have increasing relevance in the context of the finale.

And, while I didn't mind that the plot did not move forward significantly, I was a bit dissapointed that the writers skipped over a few seemingly important plot points - in an effort to easily resolve them. Specifically:

- Tyrol going to the brig for aiding in Boomer's escape, and immediately forgiven after his decision to join the final mission. Also, I was a bit surprised that Helo wasn't angrier with the chief - as he was essentially the reason that his daughter was kidnapped. Regardless of the fact that the chief was essentially duped, I can't believe that Helo and Athena wouldn't direct more of their anger towards him.

- Adama's change of heart regarding searching for Hera, and Ander's solution to the musical riddle. I really liked how this was introduced in "Someone to watch over me" and thought the idea that this song, essentially holds the key to everything on a deeper level, was clever. Thus I was dissapointed that they didn't provide a satisfactory explanation for what it actually meant - and just left us with the assumption that it provided directions to the Cylon colony. Since when do the Hybrid's provide any information that is easily decrypted? Wasn't Kara sitting in there with Anders for days on end? Why did Adama's question immediately provide the solution?

- Kara's revelation that she found her dead body on earth. This didn't seem to phase anyone in the least. Also, I was a bit confused as I felt this may have been revealed to some earlier in the season during the mutiny, when Hoshi (I think) said to Kara "We don't even know what you are anymore".

I guess my main point is that I don't mind if the plot takes on a plodding tone with character development and flashbacks. In fact, this is something I genuinely enjoy most about the show. What bother's me is when this causes the writers to skip through relevant plot points - which make it more difficult to suspend disbelief. One of the great things about the show is the level of detail - someone mentioned Kara in the bathroom while Baltar is shaving. The show does such a good job of depicting actual human reaction to terrible events, that when apparently large plot points are ignored - it feels like it cheapens it just a bit.

I do, however, have high hopes for the finale - and I'm hoping that some of the aforementioned will be addressed in greater detail.

All of your points have merit, but keep in mind, they have much bigger things to worry about, and not much time.

my1sunshine

[44]Mar 14, 2009
    ScnJedi wrote:

MrBovineOrdure wrote:
    William Adama being asked to do something he didn't want to do. Did I miss something? What was being asked of him? To decomission Galactica?

No, I'm willing to bet he had to go to court to bail out Lee, the drunk driver who killed Roslin's sisters and father.

Well, didn't the police say they did not know who the driver was? Interesting theory, but I'm more willing to bet it was to sign divorce papers. That would fit with the timeline.. just over two years before the mini-series.

On the whole, I agree with those to accept this episode as a set up for the final curtain. We'll find out the relevance for the flashbacks next week.

People, I know we're impatient, but this is Ron and David we're talking about. We have two whole hours next week, and it's gonna be glorious, fun, edge of your seat, and sad.

So many people are frustrated about the lack of resolution to the set up mysteries. I'm not worrying about that. It'll come. And keep in mind that even though Ron has said that most loose ends should be tied up by the end of Daybreak... it has already been leaked that a couple puzzle peices are going to fall into place with "The Plan" (mostly), and "Caprica". So you shouldn't place SO much importance on EVERYTHING being resolved by next week. I'm more interested in what's gonna happen to the people.

Eric10301

[45]Mar 14, 2009
    ScnJedi wrote:

MrBovineOrdure wrote:

There is no way you can kill 3 people and be allowed to stay in the military. It's absolutely impossible no matter who your father is. Plus they show Lee coming home in the morning drunk as hell. You cant kill 3 people and be released on bail in a matter of hours allowing you to still be hung over.

tguedry82

[46]Mar 15, 2009

I don't think anyone else has said this, but I was thinking that Lee's drunken bird scene was possibly after he found out Zach had died? He was in Kara and Zach's apt, right? He seemed pretty distraught along with being drunk.

Overall, I did like the episode. I'm totally looking at it as part 1 of a 3 hour amazing finale event and cannot wait until next week. What was funny for me was the whole episode went along until I didn't even notice that it was 8:59 here when the "to be continued" flashed on the screen. I was like, wait...no, I thought there was like 10 minutes left!!!!

logossun

[47]Mar 15, 2009
    • level: 18
    [QUOTE="Drewligarchy"]

I genuinely like this episode and the flashbacks, and I'm certain that they will have increasing relevance in the context of the finale.

And, while I didn't mind that the plot did not move forward significantly, I was a bit dissapointed that the writers skipped over a few seemingly important plot points - in an effort to easily resolve them. Completely agree. In the greater scheme of things, whether we get drama or hard SF isn't as important as how it was handled. In the past few episodes we had character development up to our collective arses and you could clearly tell which parts were done well (as tension/flashbacks in this episode or Kara development in the "piano" episode) and which were not (death of 6's baby, Ellen's character since on Galactica). This was an episode in which everything flowed really well, but as you said, with cutting corners. This can be a two-edged sword, since, if the episode works, they can be overlooked because of the good that was done. But, if they are noticeable and lead to a bad episode, they diminish the series itself. Now that I've given up on the octane-type last 5-6 episodes, all I ask is - smart writing to bring us home.

ScnJedi

[48]Mar 15, 2009
    Eric10301 wrote:
    ScnJedi wrote:

MrBovineOrdure wrote:

There is no way you can kill 3 people and be allowed to stay in the military. It's absolutely impossible no matter who your father is. Plus they show Lee coming home in the morning drunk as hell. You cant kill 3 people and be released on bail in a matter of hours allowing you to still be hung over.

I had not considered that.

MrBovineOrdure

[49]Mar 15, 2009
    ScnJedi wrote:
    Eric10301 wrote:
    ScnJedi wrote:

MrBovineOrdure wrote:

I had not considered that.

It was a point I hadn't considered though I wouldn't think Adama would have been so put off by "one hour of his life" being taken up by either having to bail Lee out or proceed with the divorce proceedings.

quoting loosely...

"I commanded 2 battlestars and several carriers. I was responsible for billions of cubits worth of hardware!"

This sounds more like he was being asked to address some elementary school assembly or cut the ribbon at the opening of a Circuit City.

Mr BO

MichaudMR

[50]Mar 15, 2009
    • level: 17

Commander Adama was being asked to take over the Galactica for her formal decommissioning ceremony, after which she was to become a floating museum commemorating her service in the Cylon war 40 years prior. Remember that the colonials had experienced nearly two generations of relative peace, with only minor conflicts between the planets to justify the existence of a colonial military force. Much like the way the Roman Legians evolved into a peace time military during the Pax Romana. Adama's beloved fleet had lost its vital importance and and he was relegated to the indignity of turning an old warship into a museum. I can recall during my time in the military during the '80s that it was considered good judgement to travel or conduct business off base while wearing civilian attire. We were even encouraged to wear our hair a bit longer so as not to call too much attention to ourselves.

After several years of watching the conflict of BSG we can hardly imagine Admiral Adama without his beloved Galactica, but such was not the case at the beginning of the series.

my1sunshine

[51]Mar 15, 2009
    MichaudMR wrote:

Commander Adama was being asked to take over the Galactica for her formal decommissioning ceremony, after which she was to become a floating museum commemorating her service in the Cylon war 40 years prior. Remember that the colonials had experienced nearly two generations of relative peace, with only minor conflicts between the planets to justify the existence of a colonial military force. Much like the way the Roman Legians evolved into a peace time military during the Pax Romana. Adama's beloved fleet had lost its vital importance and and he was relegated to the indignity of turning an old warship into a museum. I can recall during my time in the military during the '80s that it was considered good judgement to travel or conduct business off base while wearing civilian attire. We were even encouraged to wear our hair a bit longer so as not to call too much attention to ourselves.

After several years of watching the conflict of BSG we can hardly imagine Admiral Adama without his beloved Galactica, but such was not the case at the beginning of the series.

Unfortunately, that doesn't fit. Adama commanded the Galactica for two years before she was decommissioned. All the other flashbacks are about two years and a few months before the second war. And I agree that given the nature of the conversation, it was a very mundane task Adama was being asked to perform. We'll find out. It was Adama's only flashback. They wouldn't have just thrown it in there. It has to lead somewhere.

I just thought of something . This episode had Eddie's first scene with his son that had any real diologue, wasn't it? I don't recall any other scene where Adama spoke with Hot Dog other than in a group briefing, or to congratulate him a mission, in passing.

Raven-22

[52]Mar 15, 2009
    • level: 2

my1sunshine wrote:
    MichaudMR wrote:

Unfortunately, that doesn't fit. Adama commanded the Galactica for two years before she was decommissioned. All the other flashbacks are about two years and a few months before the second war. And I agree that given the nature of the conversation, it was a very mundane task Adama was being asked to perform. We'll find out. It was Adama's only flashback. They wouldn't have just thrown it in there. It has to lead somewhere.

I just thought of something . This episode had Eddie's first scene with his son that had any real diologue, wasn't it? I don't recall any other scene where Adama spoke with Hot Dog other than in a group briefing, or to congratulate him a mission, in passing.

They never give a time frame for the flash backs, and there is no reason to believe that they all took place during the same period. I agree that he was being asked was asked to give a speach at the Galactica formal decommissioning ceremony. I think that he was already the commander at the time.

Daxx00004

[53]Mar 15, 2009
    my1sunshine wrote:
    MichaudMR wrote:

I am thinking he was being asked to speak at the swearing in of the new head of the dept of Education (Roslyn) He knew her position in the pilot and that would explain it. Do you know the head of the Education dept in your country?

my1sunshine

[54]Mar 15, 2009
    Raven-22 wrote:

my1sunshine wrote:
    MichaudMR wrote:

They never give a time frame for the flash backs, and there is no reason to believe that they all took place during the same period. I agree that he was being asked was asked to give a speach at the Galactica formal decommissioning ceremony. I think that he was already the commander at the time.

Okay, let's put it this way. In the mini-series, everyone was telling Adama that it was an honor serving under him for the last two years, so the decomissioning was two years after he took command. Now I'd be willing to accept that it took a year to remove all arms were taken off the ship, and convert part of it to become a museum.. but no way would it take two.

Starbuck also had been on the Galactica for two years before the series (Act of Contrition).. here she is clearly still living in her apartment on Caprica.

In the mini-series, Lee and Kara obviously know each other pretty well, but had not seen each other since Zac's funeral.. two years previous.

In the flashbacks, Zac is alive. And Lee is just meeting Kara.

Caprica Six has said she lived on Caprica for two years before the attack (Mini-series and Downloaded) .

Roslyn is not a member of Adar's cabinet yet. Roslyn has stated that she was with him for almost two years.

So, no.. they didn't indicate any time frame.. but I think the facts speak for themselves.

Now, you could say the Adama's flashback took place in a different timeframe.. but why the heck would they do that? When everything else is obviously taking place within the two year timeframe. That would make absolutely no sence whatsoever.

We're dealing with flashbacks that are at least two years before the mini-series.

Daxx, I think you may be right about the swearing in. However the reason Adama would know who Roslyn was.. is that she was slated as the honored guest at the decomissioning cerimony.

Edited on 03/15/2009 7:26pm
    Edited 3 total times.

alllstarz

[55]Mar 15, 2009
    • level: 4

Just as i side note;

anyone else notice possible foreshadowing when hoshi spilt his coffee all over the table and saul said 'if can't expect to be admiral if you can't hold your coffee"

or something along those lines.

Just saying it could be setting up that literally EVERYONE of the important characters that we loved end up dying and they are setting up who may take thier place.

Or it was just a smartA$$ remark.

hazelnut144

[56]Mar 15, 2009
    • level: 8

I did notice that scene, and wondered about it. The spilling coffee, or what Tigh said probably has some meaning. They aren't throwing stuff in for no reason at this point.

As for the Adama scene, I think I will just wait. I don't think it is the Galactica decomissioning though.

Edited on 03/15/2009 9:07pm

pumpkinhead2

[57]Mar 15, 2009
    • level: 7

What the frak was that all about?

If you haven't seen this episode yet then skip the first half.

Incidently ... I can't help but feel that that blackhole will become significant.

Might want to start googling some of those time travel theories. Could explain Kara's trip back several thousand years to planet Earth.

Also it could mean that Leoben was literally right when he said "All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."

My tip is that the Galatica will get back to Earth ... the real Earth 2000 years in the past ... however those who didn't volunteer for Galactica's "suicide mission" wont.

Edited on 03/15/2009 10:32pm
    Edited 2 total times.

copygeek

[58]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 13
    pumpkinhead2 wrote:

Incidently ... I can't help but feel that that blackhole will become significant.

Might want to start googling some of those time travel theories. Could explain Kara's trip back several thousand years to planet Earth.

Also it could mean that Leoben was literally right when he said "All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."

My tip is that the Galatica will get back to Earth ... the real Earth 2000 years in the past ... however those who didn't volunteer for Galactica's "suicide mission" wont.

I'm wondering about this as well. The theme of "all this has happened before..." has been a repeated element from the very beginning of the series. I can't help but think that SOMEHOW the Galactica may be to blame for the destruction of Earth 2000 years ago. If that is the case, then the flashbacks are basically going to be a way of 'resetting" the story to the very beginning once everything is done.

MichaudMR

[59]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 17
    my1sunshine wrote:

Okay, let's put it this way. In the mini-series, everyone was telling Adama that it was an honor serving under him for the last two years, so the decomissioning was two years after he took command. Now I'd be willing to accept that it took a year to remove all arms were taken off the ship, and convert part of it to become a museum.. but no way would it take two.

Starbuck also had been on the Galactica for two years before the series (Act of Contrition).. here she is clearly still living in her apartment on Caprica.

Serving under a particular staff officer doesn't necessarily require assignment to a particular ship. In Season 4, Episode 8 "Hero" Adama is in command of a different vessel and he had some familiar crew with him at that time. I don't know the time frame of the flashback in that episode but it could give us an indication that the fleet assembled a command crew plus a few ace pilots for the purposeof the decommissioning ceremony. Also, during peacetime low priority operations such as creating a museum out of an old warship move at a glacial pace due to funding issues. The Intrepid took 4 years from 1978 to 1982 to complete her transformation in our world.

However, tying up a command crew and a bunch of ace pilots does seem way over the top, so I'm inclined to agree with you that they might not have been talking about assigning Commander Adama to decommissioning the Galactica.

Edited on 03/16/2009 7:15am

ebony_kunoichi

[60]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 13

this episode was totally boring to me, except for the ending. The whole flashback things should have been in season 1 or 2 not now. There are so many questions I have and I cant wait for the movie, the plan, but seriously we need more answers!!!