Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Daybreak, Part 1" (3/13/09) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

NatalieParsnip

[61]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 7
    I no I'm often in the minority in such opinions, but I love it when shows put some real time and effort into fleshing out the characters. I thought the scene with Laura dealing with the death of her immediate family was fantastic! When she tells the cops to show themselves out, I actually teared up. For me I find it hard to care about the action and the more exciting bits, unless I care about the characters.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ebony_kunoichi

[62]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 13

I for one kinda don't care about their lives on Caprica, but if you are gonna show it why wait till the end of the show!?!?

I really lost it when Laura showed up when everyone was choosing sides. She seemed so weak and feeble, but still there supporting her man to the bitter end. I cried like a baby. Laura is gonna die and she is one of my fav, Mary deserves an Emmy!

borgsyd

[63]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 2

this episode was an average episode the flash backs where good but way to long this should have been a mid season episode that should hve been aired in in season 3. i think that explaining everything in the finale is really stupid. kara should have been explained already, only thing that should be left is the mastermind behind the cylon attacks, the kid and daniel(if thats not starbuck). One thing lacking in this season is human/cylon fighting. i miss it.

cant wait for the finale. bit sad that one of my favourite shows is coming to and end. i have watched this show since the first initial pilot and havent stopped since.

borgsyd

[64]Mar 16, 2009

also abit dissapointed that they turned balter into a retard and lee doesnt have as big as a role as he did in previous seasons, going legal i didnt like. evrything else i love in the show

MrBovineOrdure

[65]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 6

A couple of minor trivial pieces

Who is Shawn Ellison/Ellisor? The date for Laura. Did we hear that name before?

On Baltar crossing over. Starboard = Volunteers. Port = Non Volunteers. Baltar clearly stayed on the port side.

"The ship will rip itself apart before we get 10 SU's to the target". SU = AU? Their ruler they use for Astronomical Unit? (Admittedly a VERY trivial point, but something I take interest in)

Mr BO

pumpkinhead2

[67]Mar 16, 2009
    No doubt the flash backs will make more sense in the final two hours.

aloonatic

[68]Mar 18, 2009

Total waste of an hour. What was gained/learned from this episode? Very little.

The show just doesn't make any sense any more.

Is Tyrol in the brig or not? Is the president going to die? Please let her die, her character is awful and the actress is shocking.

Is the council or whatever it is called now voted for or not? If it is, why isn't it full of Baltar's people if he has such a big following? Do they still have their guns?

What happened to teh other cylons too? They know where the humans/rebels are and they have the kid, so why don't they attack and take them out? They used to be an unstopable killing machine that the humans had to run from every time they saw a blip of the dradus.

You aren't telling me that they don't have enough fire-power left to take on a half destroyed base star and a battle star that is actually falling apart at the seems?

Also, we are meant to believe that said battlestar, half stripped down too, will be able to lead a raid against a (probably fortified) cylon position near a black hole?

Finally, flashback wise, who's up for us finding out that it was a drunken Adama who side swipped the presidents family and killed them? It'll be something stupid like that.

Generally, the episode was more pathetically funny. Everyone anouncing their names in the flash backs, except six of course, who baltar asked her name once but then seemingly gave up. He think she's cool now though because she came up with the idea of putting an old man in a retirement home. Wow, genius, it would take one of the greatest minds in all of caprica could have thought of that.

2 episodes to go, then we can put this once great show to rest in peace.

englishguy1969

[69]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 8

Is it wrong that i though Laura look rather hot at her sister baby shower? I've never thought of her in that way i'm more of Sharon man myself but she looked cute. Obviously to show her in different light rather than the tough President

pumpkinhead2

[70]Mar 18, 2009
    If it were shown as a full length movie people wouldn't mind the flashbacks. I have no doubt that the flashbacks are more important than they may first appear to be.

I think that the flashbacks will play a big role in the second part of this episode. They will probably be used to answer the remaining questions such as how Starbuck is still alive. The final space battle certainly won't fill the entire remaining 2 hours.

ophee

[71]Mar 18, 2009
    Is this the end that Kara Thrace will lead them all to? It's her music that's given them some sort of star map to the colony, and Adama has said that he doesn't expect to return. The final battle will be the end of the Galactica, and Kara has lead them to it.

ophee

[72]Mar 18, 2009
    aloonatic wrote:

What happened to teh other cylons too? They know where the humans/rebels are and they have the kid, so why don't they attack and take them out? They used to be an unstopable killing machine that the humans had to run from every time they saw a blip of the dradus.

You aren't telling me that they don't have enough fire-power left to take on a half destroyed base star and a battle star that is actually falling apart at the seems?

The cylons no longer have resurrection. Maybe they're afraid to die.

Daxx00004

[73]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 9
    pumpkinhead2 wrote:

What the frak was that all about?

If you haven't seen this episode yet then skip the first half.

Incidently ... I can't help but feel that that blackhole will become significant.

Might want to start googling some of those time travel theories. Could explain Kara's trip back several thousand years to planet Earth.

Also it could mean that Leoben was literally right when he said "All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."

My tip is that the Galatica will get back to Earth ... the real Earth 2000 years in the past ... however those who didn't volunteer for Galactica's "suicide mission" wont.

No, this isn't star trek where you can travel thru wormholes and/or time. Ron Moore hates that sci fi garbage.

ScnJedi

[74]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 6

Daxx00004 wrote:
    No, this isn't star trek where you can travel thru wormholes and/or time. Ron Moore hates that sci fi garbage.

I sincerely doubt "Ron Moore hates that sci fi garbage", since he wrote a lot of Star Trek Deep Space Nine, which was about a space station next to a wormhole.

Daxx00004

[75]Mar 18, 2009
    ScnJedi wrote:

Daxx00004 wrote:

I sincerely doubt "Ron Moore hates that sci fi garbage", since he wrote a lot of Star Trek Deep Space Nine, which was about a space station next to a wormhole.

Yeah, I know he did. The first time I met him was at a Creation Star Trek event in Anaheim, Ca. He was on a writers panel. He does really hate writing technobabble and that kind of stuff and states so in the podcasts. He has been very careful to keep that kind of stuff out of BSG.

BHSWorkstation

[76]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 4

STRIPPERS IN SPACE?

I was checking out some of the items that are auctioned off after the episode and noticed one that was listed as "BSG Stripper's Outfit." The description mentioned that it was worn by a stripper that Tigh tried to get to do a lap dance for Adama. I had a bit of a cold and missed a little of the beginning but I really have no recollection of this scene. Did I miss this?

pumpkinhead2

[77]Mar 18, 2009
    Daxx00004 wrote:
    pumpkinhead2 wrote:

Incidently ... I can't help but feel that that blackhole will become significant.

Might want to start googling some of those time travel theories. Could explain Kara's trip back several thousand years to planet Earth.

Also it could mean that Leoben was literally right when he said "All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."

My tip is that the Galatica will get back to Earth ... the real Earth 2000 years in the past ... however those who didn't volunteer for Galactica's "suicide mission" wont.

... and yet he is fine with Faster than Light travel. He also describes a naked singularity ... something scientists say cannot exist.

Actually I have gone off the time travel theory anyway. Now I am thinking alternative universes.

Daxx00004

[78]Mar 18, 2009
    pumpkinhead2 wrote:
    Daxx00004 wrote:
    pumpkinhead2 wrote:

... and yet he is fine with Faster than Light travel. He also describes a naked singularity ... something scientists say cannot exist.

Actually I have gone off the time travel theory anyway. Now I am thinking alternative universes.

A lot of quality sci fi authors have used FTL travel to solve the problem of moving the story along over great distances. I can accept that in my Sci Fi. As far as the singularity, there is more in space than we can imagine, so I am also ok with that. Time travel and elseworlds are fine depending on the show. I accept (don't like it) in Star Trek. The only time Star Trek did time travel right was "City on the Edge of Forever" there were consequences for messing with time. I hated the time travel in Superman1 and the Donner version of 2. I could not accept it in BSG as there has been no sign of that kind of thing. Can you say Deux ex machina? So I do not expect any time travel. Now, light people, those I could deal with as there have been hints dropped, Six called herself an angel or messenger of God. Kara returned from the dead in a pristine viper. A seriously advanced race could be considered Godlike. Everyone assumes that Moore has dropped the mysticism I think he just hasn't addressed that yet.

aloonatic

[79]Mar 19, 2009
    ophee wrote:

The cylons no longer have resurrection. Maybe they're afraid to die.

Have we completely forgotten about the mechanical Cylons, fighters and raiders now?

pumpkinhead2

[80]Mar 19, 2009
    Daxx00004 wrote:
    pumpkinhead2 wrote:
    Daxx00004 wrote:
    pumpkinhead2 wrote:

A lot of quality sci fi authors have used FTL travel to solve the problem of moving the story along over great distances. I can accept that in my Sci Fi. As far as the singularity, there is more in space than we can imagine, so I am also ok with that. Time travel and elseworlds are fine depending on the show. I accept (don't like it) in Star Trek. The only time Star Trek did time travel right was "City on the Edge of Forever" there were consequences for messing with time. I hated the time travel in Superman1 and the Donner version of 2. I could not accept it in BSG as there has been no sign of that kind of thing. Can you say Deux ex machina? So I do not expect any time travel. Now, light people, those I could deal with as there have been hints dropped, Six called herself an angel or messenger of God. Kara returned from the dead in a pristine viper. A seriously advanced race could be considered Godlike. Everyone assumes that Moore has dropped the mysticism I think he just hasn't addressed that yet.
    It is Kara and her pristine Viper that got me thinking alternative universes in the first place.

When you add "alternate universe" to the mix then suddenly everything makes sense.

Unless Moore produces some mystical super being in the last 2 hours, or it turns out that Starbuck is yet another resurrected Cylon ... there really isn't any more logical conclusion than this Starbuck come from a different universe in which Earth was still habital and she was in a brand new Viper.

Naked singularities could theoretically be used to travel between dimensions and through time ... accept that the tidal forces would tear you apart ... but wait the Cylon colony just happens to be sitting in the only gravitationally stable spot in the region of the singularity. What is the bet that the opera house will be grand central for anyone wishing to travel between different dimensions.

Personally I hope that Moore hasn't chosen that solution ... but that is the only one that explains Starbuck's current predicament.