Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Daybreak, Pt. 2 & 3" (3/20/09) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[1]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 55
    So this is it, the final episodes of Battlestar Galactica. The end of the road after more than five years in real time. I still remember watching the Miniseries on the Sci Fi Channel back in December 2003 and hoping against hope that the show would be picked up as a regular series.

I think I'm subconsciously trying not to have the series end. I still haven't watched "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" or "Daybreak, Part 1". (What?) I have them recorded on the DVR but I can't get myself to watch them yet. Doing so means that I'm one step closer to having the series end for me. It was sort of that way with NYPD Blue. I never watched that series until the last two seasons. (Trying to catch up on old episodes is how I first came across TVTome. I read through episode recaps of all the previous seasons. There weren't any DVD sets for that show at the time. By the way, TVTome later became TV.com.) I followed the last two seasons but as the series wound down, I missed the series finale. (I'm not sure if it was because of work.) I recorded it on the VCR but to this day, I still haven't watched the final episode. (My VCR later broke down. I replaced it with a smaller Panasonic model. A couple years later, I realized that I had never even connected the new VCR to my TV, not even once.)

Anyway, I seem to be following a similar pattern with BSG. (I'm also concerned about an upcoming surgery for a close relative. It should be a minor operation but any time the words "surgery" and "close relative" are in the same sentence, it causes one to worry.) But I definitely plan to watch the last episodes for this series. I'll try to watch both of the previous two episodes tomorrow night. Though I don't normally rewatch BSG episodes that often, I might watch some of the BSG marathon on Friday. I'll watch the two-hour series finale live. It'll be one of those moments that a true BSG fan shouldn't miss. It wouldn't be the same to watch the series finale a month later off the DVR.
    Edited on 03/20/2009 6:52pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

copygeek

[2]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 13

123home123 wrote:
    I'll watch the two-hour series finale live. It'll be one of those moments that a true BSG fan shouldn't miss. It wouldn't be the same to watch the series finale a month later off the DVR.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a working TV since last August, so I'll have to wait until the final episodes are uploaded to iTunes. It will be agony having to wait as I'll know that everyone else will have already seen the finale and are talking about it online.

I'm really looking forward to the ending. I want to see where Ron Moore is planning to take the series, as I get the feeling from various interviews he has done over the years that he had an idea early on of how he wanted the series to end. I'd be curious to find out how close the actual ending was to the one he originally intended.

noname2222pl

[3]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 2
    all there episode are on hulu.com. its free and legal it rocks. i wonder if tv.com lets you talk about this site on here anymore. guess i'll find out.

123home123

[4]Mar 17, 2009
    It should be OK but then again, you never know. I've gotten a few TOS warnings this winter because I brought up the topic of gaming (cheating) on the support forums. I really don't know what's going on with this site these days.

alllstarz

[5]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 4

Regardless of the circumstances of our soon to be series finale it has been one HECK of a ride with you fellow posters.

Through the highs and lows (waiting 8 months between seasons), the amazing cliffhangers and overall themes I too cannot think of any

show that can come close to replicating the same amount of intensity both through character and plot development and real life issues.

(watched kings and im hopeful but it is on NBC). I still cannot believe we are at the 11th hour with this series and it coming to a beautiful end I do not know

if I will be sad or happy but none the less I am excited. I will probably skip a whole day of school work and watch most of the marathon, reflect, think back to the mini-

series and how we were watching it in my first year at university (I am graduating less than a month) it sort of coincide with my life as graduation draws near.

There are only a handful of shows that have the impact and wild fanbase. Here's to one heck of a series, great times, and hopefully Caprica if god willing can

emulate the same sort of success and deep story that BSG has created for countless individuals.

Melzias

[6]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 7

I've been watching since the mini-series and i am curious/excited/worried how it will end. The episodes leading up to the finale have been a bit on the dissapointing side, but i am really trying to stay optomistic. I can only imagine the outcome is going to dabble a bit in both the spiritual and science-explainable, but they have a lot of empty holes to fill.

Regardless of the ending, it has been an amazing show from start to finish!

Edited on 03/20/2009 10:47am

123home123

[7]Mar 20, 2009
    Seven hours to go.

h00plah

[8]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 10
    Will the finale be airing at 9:00PM Eastern time? (This is on the Space channel, in Canada).

alllstarz

[9]Mar 20, 2009
    h00plah wrote:
    Will the finale be airing at 9:00PM Eastern time? (This is on the Space channel, in Canada).

Hey H00plah it is 9pm EST I am in toronto so I can vouche for it as well as watching the marathon all day

pumpkinhead2

[10]Mar 20, 2009
    I am excited and sad at the same time.

The show deserves a great finish ... but then it will be gone.

alllstarz

[11]Mar 20, 2009
    30 min!

MichaudMR

[12]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 17
    Just a heads up for anyone setting a VCR or other type of recording system. This episode is scheduled to run a bit long (2 hrs, 11 minutes). Just to be on the safe side I'm setting up to record from 20:50 to 23:20.

BHSWorkstation

[13]Mar 20, 2009

I can't believe tonight is really the end. I hope I'm not the only one camped out in front of the TV anxiously awaiting the big show. I know a lot of people are concerned about how the episode will end. Personally, I do have some concerns as well but am mostly upbeat. It has been a great season for the most part. I don't care if ALL of the questions are answered. With a show that has gone out of it's way to develop so many secondary characters (Helo, Tyrol, Cally, Billy, Kat, etc.), I'm surprised they have been able to cover as much plot as they have. But I'll gladly trade any missed plot points for all of the lovely character development any day. And in a worse case scenario, even if I don't like the final episode I will always marvel at all the great moments we've already been given.

As for tonight, I'm hoping the first hour deals with the final confict with the Cylons and that the second hour deals with the aftermath. I think the only thing that would really disappoint me is if the episode drags the final battle to the very end and we don't get to see the ramifications for the survivors (there have to be a few, right?).

I would also like to thank 123HOME123 for being such a great moderator. This is the first time I've ever participated in a forum and I appreciate the fairness and consistency of tone in the forum. It is clear to me that 123ome123 has put a lot of work into this and I am grateful for all the hard work that has allowed the rest of us to enjoy ourselves so much.

Billkup

[14]Mar 20, 2009
    one quick thought, if they resolve everything tonite, what will the upcoming tv movie be about? my only concern is ron moores fascination with david chase ending the sopranos the way he did.

alllstarz

[15]Mar 20, 2009

wow called it with Hoshi!

and glad baltar changed his mind, the fact them "going aroudn the horn" so powerful this whole climactic when the Battlestar was pulling away, and lee saying goodbye to hoshi and the president wow so powerful... really encompasses the end and the duties have been trasnferd so the chain of command survives!

galactica ramming the cylon cship the fight ahhh i can't handle myself! I really think boomer has been "lost" this whole series and in the last few episodes has found herself the old boomer from the first season good way to go out as well. on a side note it's werid seeing cylons fighting WITH humans not against. Seein caprica 6 and gaius together just almost seems right sort of coming full circle! Even them both seeing thier "head" self at the sametime ahah finally!

Its even better when someone diesand show how they came to be and how they begain their career poor boomer i feel so bad now explaining the debt she owes adama.

Maybe the battlestar will survive but sure taking one hell of a beating!but what is upo with the opera house and hera runnign throught it being refelected as galactica!!!EPIC wow them walking int othe CIC was INTENSE seeing the 5 up there WOW. I am speecless this whole cavil giaus scene was so powerful

I dont know about anyone else but a lot of the characters have come full circle to the characters we always think they should of been, and hated how they were almost there bu needed that extra push ("angels" and "revlations" being that push) There is almost a comedic undertone that cavial protrays "your keeping two civilziiantions waiting" quickest peace treaty ever! and kara whole destiny thing WOW everything is fitting PERFECTLY@

ahah Galen's face was about to EXPLODE I am so happy that tory was killed I felt her character has been slacking for a long time, she just played the pissed off middle child. OMG KARA knew were earth was ALL ALONG!@ WHOLY FRAK!

MajLorne

[16]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 21
    So far this episode is simply epic. Love everything about it.
    President Lampkin? And Admiral Hoshi? Very nice.

And damn, that peace just couldn't last could it? Damn it Galen

And of course the f/x is simply fantastic especially the ship buckling like that.

ilee1990

[17]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 10
    MajLorne wrote:

And of course the f/x is simply fantastic especially the ship buckling like that.

So, does that mean that Apollo and Adama both died?

alllstarz

[18]Mar 20, 2009

I guess the adam and eve theory holds some truth, It is alil dissapointing galactica did not go out in a blaze of glory but in the blaze of the sun. What an intense good bye scene with Kara and sam then fact sam was able to spit out "I"ll see you on the other side" All these story wra ups really resinates the fact yea the series is ending.

I hope they exaplin the "angels" part better sort of left in a very omnious way. Ah man Roger Moore is makign sure there are NO loose ends!

did anyone like the old bsg theme being played as the fleet went off into the sun? I guess Roslin got to see each and the dying leader part came true!

WAS Kara an angel the whole tim like hea d6 and hea dgiaus except everyone could see? Roslin death was so peaceful, she deserved it. Loved how gaius admitted ot knowing about farming lol

PHENOMINAL ENDING wow

THANK YOU VERY MUCH CREATORS OF BSG for one of the greatest shows EVER the ending was SO perfect wow

MajLorne

[19]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 21

ilee1990 wrote:
    MajLorne wrote:

So, does that mean that Apollo and Adama both died?

No, they transfered power to them so they can lead the attack on the Cylon colony.

Edited on 03/20/2009 7:59pm

Idbeolderifiwas

[20]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 20
    ok that was so fantastic I don't know where to start. I loved how Ron Moore put himself in there at the end too. also, What was Head Baltar talking about at the end? Was he referring to himself as god or what?