Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Daybreak, Pt. 2 & 3" (3/20/09) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

blablobb

[61]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 2
    If you can't come up with rational explanations to the questions you raise, let's angels (or whatever they were) handle it. Sorry, what a piece of crap. I expected actual answers to all the riddles and what i got was nothing...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

QingJao86

[62]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 4
    Anyone think the ending was a bit sad... no more technology, no more civilization, etc. I know they were supposed to all be ready for it... but I can't imagine everyone wanted to revert back that far. Why not have everyone settle in one spot, build up a new civilization, and branch out and spread their civilization thoughout the world, while keeping the knowledge to save them from harm. Granted I suppose they got a long reprieve.

P.S. Once again, I must say, I can see why Jane was scared, anybody who understands my name (and reads real scifi :-p) will get this.

wingsabre

[63]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 13
    blablobb wrote:
    If you can't come up with rational explanations to the questions you raise, let's angels (or whatever they were) handle it. Sorry, what a piece of crap. I expected actual answers to all the riddles and what i got was nothing...

Well from the very beginning the series was about some greater power. Even Ron Moore has said that at some level, the Cylon God, and the Colonial Gods are connected in some way. The visions, the prophecy, everything occurring before, and will occur again is essentially that fate and cycle described from the beginning. The Colonial Cylons having been destroyed following the destruction of humanity are gone. The "Earth" cylons are gone, while the centurions have moved on. Now the series is essentially doing what Sci-Fi is about, which is taking something abstract, relate it to something current, and give a critique. This is what Outer Limits, and the Twilight Zone did at the end of each episode, and this is what the series has done as a whole. It's essentially saying, the cycles have to end at some point and it's our choice if it will end or not. Science will advance, humans will create cylons anew; do we want to subjugate our creations, or work with them to build a better tomorrow? BTW, yeah, I realized that the ending is somewhat like the Matrix, and w/e.

Timewhisper

[64]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 7
    Great ending to a great series but not perfect.
    They still never explained what Kara was, and she obviously was supposed to lead them to the new Earth and disappeared when she was done, but her storyline left unanswered questions.
    Also, I felt the whole last scene with head Baltar and head Six was just unnecessary, and it raised more questions that remained unanswered.
    I was a great ride, but I just wish they would have answered more of the shows mysteries- if not to the characters at least to the audience.

isaiias

[65]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 1
    I think Galen moved to Antartica were he built Atlantis and singlehanded created the Ancients Race. The Cylons that left on the Base Star are the most surely the original replicators. Dont worry it will all be explained in Stargate Universe.

youzernaym

[66]Mar 21, 2009

To be honest, I had no idea the finale would be this good. Questions answered, holes covered, all in a mix of action and poetry. Brilliant work.

This ending was of course one of the most discussed and generally accepted predictions. The greatest hints being the English language, and the old gods (Apollo, etc.) which were traces of the colonial culture and beliefs on earth.

On issue of angels, while they might not appeal to some hard-core science fans, in my opinion it was pulled very well. In case you are one of those fans, just consider them aliens (as they even mentioned their boss doesn't like the name god!) with an agenda and some superpowers. Hope that works for you.

My only regret is I won't know what to replace this show with.

wingsabre

[67]Mar 21, 2009
    alllstarz wrote:
    When the raptor launched 8 missiles at the colony and they had to jump ASAP.

Is anyone else watching the "spacecast" panel discussion it is absolute trash ahah i feel its like the "hills after show" Kara HAS to be an angel it is the only theory that fits really and yes its a bold statement But only became this "angel" when she was brought back. As for all the "pre destiny" information she had well daniel was her father, and probably passed that information along to Kara. With the melody who knows, I'm at a loss of words really. It is cool how it all interrelates BUT Anders did bring up the whole speech about perfection about mathematical equations etc, maybe that song is a perfect mathematical formula!

Daniel's not her father. Daniel was intended to fix that whole cylon numbering problem. After all, there couldn't be an 8 if there was no 7. When they said Daniel was boxed, it meant all Daniels were killed off and destroyed by Cavil, and it was intended to show how ruthless and demented Cavil was.

BTW, I loved the moment when Cavil killed himself. It was like, "Frak, what do I do now? No resurrection. I don't want to deal with them all over again. Screw them all, we're all going to hell anyway. Frak!" I just love how it all worked together.

oz_island

[68]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 12

Great ending...my only complaints

What the frak was up with the pigeon/Apollo scene?

They never confirmed who Daniel was (at least I don't think)

I wanted to see Adama's reaction to Boomer saying she owed him one.

oz_island

[69]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 12

wingsabre wrote:
    alllstarz wrote:
    When the raptor launched 8 missiles at the colony and they had to jump ASAP. Is anyone else watching the "spacecast" panel discussion it is absolute trash ahah i feel its like the "hills after show" Kara HAS to be an angel it is the only theory that fits really and yes its a bold statement But only became this "angel" when she was brought back. As for all the "pre destiny" information she had well daniel was her father, and probably passed that information along to Kara. With the melody who knows, I'm at a loss of words really. It is cool how it all interrelates BUT Anders did bring up the whole speech about perfection about mathematical equations etc, maybe that song is a perfect mathematical formula!
    Daniel's not her father. Daniel was intended to fix that whole cylon numbering problem. After all, there couldn't be an 8 if there was no 7. When they said Daniel was boxed, it meant all Daniels were killed off and destroyed by Cavil, and it was intended to show how ruthless and demented Cavil was. BTW, I loved the moment when Cavil killed himself. It was like, "Frak, what do I do now? No resurrection. I don't want to deal with them all over again. Screw them all, we're all going to hell anyway. Frak!" I just love how it all worked together.

I don't think they ever said Daniel was boxed.

wingsabre

[70]Mar 21, 2009
    They did, Daniel was boxed. Ellen said that in "No Exit." She was told that the Diana model was boxed by Cavil, and Ellen said something equal to, whatever it's not that serious since boxing is not permanent except Daniel. Cavil essentially was jealous of the affection she showed to Daniel, and corrupted his base genetic material, and killed Daniel.

weirdaaron

[71]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 3
    I loved it! It answered many questions, but I still feel the story has not entirely been completed in some sense or another. I hope that I can find this "completion" in the 2 hour event this fall, and maybe even Caprica. This last season hasn't been my favorite, nor has it really met my BSG standard I set back in season 1 and 2, but this episode really made me change my mind. Good work RDM! (haha, anyone else notice it was ron that was reading the magazine?)

Dogar230

[72]Mar 21, 2009
    I was pretty let down by this finale. The saving graces were the amazing visuals during the space battles, and the images of Africa, all in glorious HD. Everything else left me wondering why I watched this show, like some other poster said.

Hoeech

[73]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 66
    blablobb wrote:

The whole essence of good sci-fi is its ability to take issues that affect the lives of people in the world today and couch them in metaphors that help put them in a different light and/or allow us to see the issue from the other side's point of view. This series accomplished that so effectively that the cast and crew were asked to address the United Nations in an effort to ease tensions between nations engaged in religious conflicts. It' a shame you aren't seeing that.

dragon755

[74]Mar 21, 2009
    Did anyone else realise that galen went to live on modern day england...galen and england...shoulda picked that from the start haha

dragon755

[75]Mar 21, 2009
    btw, im not complaining. Great ending to a great show! but... who was the dying leader that was not meant to make it? Just wondering more than anything

BHSWorkstation

[76]Mar 21, 2009

EXCELLENT ENDING! I'm not going to say it was flawless, but I do think it did just about as perfect a job of ending a show with so many themes and loose ends. Most characters got the endings they deserved and most of the questions about them were answered in my mind. I did like that a few important questions (i.e. Kara Thrace) were left open. Why? Because it fit with the theme and style of the show. I will say that I never cared for the mystical aspects of the religious storylines. In fact, I would have greatly preferred that the religion, the Final Five, Kara's resurrection (she should have stayed dead) had never been introduced. But that said, it was a well established theme in the show and the idea of Kara's destiny fit perfectly with that. There was some guiding force involved, something beyond the knowledge of man. There is no way it could be explained in that context and therefore leaves only one possible solution (again, given the set-up).

In any case, great show.

antdude

[77]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 27
    Good ending to me. I posted my comments and a poll in http://www.aqfl.net/?q=node/6878 ...

What's up with Kara/Starbuck using a keypad as her piano? LOL!

MistaC87

[78]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 18

The finale is brilliant to me. I'm an athiest and the whole "angel" thing didn't make me cringe one bit, like some of you might have done. Maybe there are mystical forces at work in the universe, but it's just a "mystical force", not god. I also liked the fact that Kara's destiny hadn't been completed yet, hence why she was reborn an "angel" so she could complete it, and once things were fulfilled, she was gone. There is no need for some big explanation for this. Sometimes, it's just that simple. That's the way it should stay. It was a pretty big "holy crap" moment when she disappeared. A satisfying "holy crap" moment. Although I wish she would of stuck around with Lee in the end.

I also absolutely LOVED Caprica Six and the new Baltar walking off to start a life together, and even Baltar showed some emotions which kind of made me feel all weepy too.

I really teared up when Roslin died and Adama took off his ring and put it on her finger. It was so sad.

Once again, I stress to those of you who watch the show, that this is a work of fiction, and you shouldn't take it so extremely seriously. I haven't seen a more compelling and amazing piece of television in my life.

There's also no way in heck this episode deserves a "9.2" (as it is currently rated here by users on TV.com). It should at least be a "9.7", but I was expecting it to average a 9.9, believe it or not. Guess I shouldn't have that much faith :\

Can't wait to see what USA Today, IGN, The New York Times, and the Chicago Sun-Times had to say about the finale.

dragon755

[79]Mar 21, 2009
    Ok i have just finally finished it (What? 95 minutes is a long time to watch one episode...) And it was excellent. I could not have thought of a better way to end the show. Yes we're not sure what happened but seriously, does it matter? It wouldn't be life and we simply wouldn't care if all the answers were given to us. a perfect ending should leave us wanting more of the show, not to answer the questions, but simply because it was that good we want more. And i do. Infact so much so i'm actually going to watch 'the Plan'' and 'caprica' both of which i wasn't before. My two favourite bits were when Galatica ran into the colony (i was screaming like a sports-nut at a baseball game) and the new york city bit. I thought it was so funny but random to go through all the robotic bits at the end. All in all, it was an ending worthy of battlestar galactica and i for one, am going to miss it everyday....In fact...i may just watch it again right now...

Lord079

[80]Mar 21, 2009
    Good, sorry great episode.... especially the first act as you were with the seige of the Toasters base ops!

I did not like the whole (Call of Duty prestige mode rip off) where they trade in all their weapons, creature comforts and other things "except the clothes on their backs"!!!

Do we really think that the Doctor gave up his meds and instruments, that the guards gave up their guns (to fend off the t rex's for example) and the mechanics to give up any sort of tools for building huts....

Apart from that it was a great finalie but it didnt make a lick of sence to me!

Dont scream at me with abuse but I almost felt a whiff of star trek in there.

Its clever that the writers try to tie it in with our planets history but its a fracking (great) tv show and a work of fiction NOT REAL LIFE.

Now its time to rewatch all 4seasons before the summer hits!

Ps- yes I dont get that they didnt explain where the rest of the 'evil' cylons went (for example in the previous episode the scout raptor reported watching 2.... that 2 base ships jumping in and out of the base ops).