Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Deadlock" (spoilers) (2/20/09)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[1]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 55
    Ellen escapes from Cavil ("John") along with Boomer. She makes her way to the Colonial fleet and is faced with a momentous decision about how to proceed with the other Final Five Cylons.

This episode marks the halfway point of Season 4.5. This is the 6th of 11 total episodes. We had a lot of answers to questions last week but there are still several important mythology questions that haven't been addressed yet. There are also many personal stories that need to be worked out, such as Baltar and Head Six (wherever she is these days) and maybe Chief Tyrol and Boomer.
    Edited on 02/20/2009 6:58pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

scififan12921

[2]Feb 17, 2009
    • level: 6
    This should be a very interesting episode from a character perspective: Ellen returning will just be the beginning. She has all her memories without having a bullet in the brain so we should get some answers. I personally can't wait for the first time she comes face to face with Tigh and then finds out Six is pregnant with his child!!

MrBovineOrdure

[3]Feb 18, 2009

Well, she forgave Tigh for killing her. I don't think she'll be too upset that he made Six pregnant. Matter of fact, she'll probably be very interested in the fact that the 7 models can become pregnant at all. Perhaps it's just the male cylons they created that are steril.

Mr BO

seto1

[4]Feb 18, 2009
    • level: 16
    Maybe its as the 6th said they needed love

Sektos

[5]Feb 19, 2009
    • level: 10
    Well wasn't it that the 13th tribe "developed" reproductive capability. They prob could fully pass it on to the models they made, but when combined with human or final 5 they are capable of propagating. They however cannot do it amongst themselves

ebony_kunoichi

[6]Feb 19, 2009
    • level: 13

I swear if I dont see the Simons or Doral's in the episode there will be heck to pay!!!!!!!!

Hungry_Homer111

[7]Feb 19, 2009
    • level: 26
    I'm really loving this second half of the season so far. First with the mutiny story, which was kind of annoying, but very exciting, and very well told from the characters' perspective. And I absolutely loved the last episode, especially explaining cetain aspects of they Cylons' history, and the scenes between Ellen and Cavil.

I'm a bit worried that they may slip a bit before the end, because it's hard for a show to remain consistantly good for so long (also something I'm worried about with the current season of Lost ). If a show has so many great episodes, and I get used to having that, even a very good episode can seem disappointing by comparison. Although I'll just leave my faith in the writers to hopefully not disappoint.

This next episode does seem promising. With Ellen back, hopefully we'll get more answers about the Cylons. And hopefully there will be some good scenes between her and Tigh. Also, I have to say that so far, I'm liking her character MUCH more than I did when we thought that she was human.

my1sunshine

[9]Feb 20, 2009
    • level: 12

What's gonna be interesting is that they are going to come to a point where we see the true awakenings of the remaining four.. possibly five cylons. We saw the drastic difference in personality in Ellen when she was "awakened". Sam, although desplaying a lot of knowledge and memories.. we didn't really see a different personality (maybe because of his physical state) for him.. but if he survives, what will his personality be like. Tory... I think Tory is Tory. But what about Galen and Saul? What will they be like when they're awakened? Interesting to contemplate.. hmmmm?

I think out of all the characters left.. I'm keeping my eye on Saul. Considering who how his character got started on this show and where we're at now... Saul's gonna be very interesting these last episodes. Hogan has to be proud of his work as Saul Tigh through this series . Not bad for an actor who's name isn't even on the opening credits to this day.

Anybody know if that was his choice or not?

Edited on 02/20/2009 10:36am

scififan12921

[10]Feb 20, 2009
    my1sunshine wrote:

What's gonna be interesting is that they are going to come to a point where we see the true awakenings of the remaining four.. possibly five cylons. We saw the drastic difference in personality in Ellen when she was "awakened". Sam, although desplaying a lot of knowledge and memories.. we didn't really see a different personality (maybe because of his physical state) for him.. but if he survives, what will his personality be like. Tory... I think Tory is Tory. But what about Galen and Saul? What will they be like when they're awakened? Interesting to contemplate.. hmmmm?

I think out of all the characters left.. I'm keeping my eye on Saul. Considering who how his character got started on this show and where we're at now... Saul's gonna be very interesting these last episodes. Hogan has to be proud of his work as Saul Tigh through this series . Not bad for an actor who's name isn't even on the opening credits to this day.

Anybody know if that was his choice or not?

No idea but a very interesting point. I'm actually wondering if the reason he drank so much was because his memories have been fighting to come out. After all, of all of them he and Ellen ended up still together and he was willing to overlook a lot of garbage from her.

zerbleflip

[11]Feb 20, 2009
    • level: 8
    Baltar / Head Six.

As it now looks likely that Thrace was resurrected while "visiting" Earth....I'm going back to my old chestnut that Baltar was actually killed in the blast that appears to have demolished his house in the mini series, and was subsequently resurrected alongside of Six.

My reasons for this are:

1. The resurrection technology was developed by the "Final Five" - and the indications are (ASSUMING Thrace has actually be resurrected) that it cannot differentiate between human and Cylon.

2. Cavil/John and Ellen have made it clear ONLY the Final Five can create the techology. Ergo, the technology used by the "modern" humano-Cylons is the same as that which has apparently "revived" Thrace, and thus potentially incapable of differentiating between humans and Cylons.

3. Despite comments to the contrary in previous discussions on this forum, the scene portraying the shockwave hitting Baltar's house makes it VERY clear considerable forces are involved - enough to take out not only windows - but walls. "Six" appears to be killed in the blast, so is it really likely Baltar survives with little more than a couple of cuts to his forehead just because he was KNEELING behind her??

4. Returning to Thrace, it would seem that resurrection is triggered by the hub/system, not the dying individual - ergo, in the heat of the attack, it is plausible that the Cylon's hub "mistakenly" locked onto both Six and Baltar... perhaps their memories were even "scrambled" in the download, leading to the "Six" in Baltar's head and the "Baltar" in Six's head.

5. "No Exit" demonstrates that Cavil/John will gladly throw the Final Five into the maelstrom on Caprica (and elsewhere) - so IF Baltar was resurrected in the hub, Cavil/John is hardly likely to bat an eyelid in returning Baltar to Caprica, where he'll reap, first hand, the harvest of his betrayal of humanity...

MrBovineOrdure

[12]Feb 20, 2009

Knowing alcololism as I do, Saul was pretty sanguine about not having the bottle in his room. For folks that start the ty;pical day off with a stiff one, you usually see a lot of secret drinking. It doesn't matter what kind of crisis there is, you always have that slide back into the bottle without any kind of intervention. (And I'm reasonably sure that things have been a tad busy on the Galactica for Saul to have gone through any 12 step program) Sure he's had his share of sobering crisis, those alone wouldn't account for his indifference to the booze lately.

Then again, he's a Cylon. Perhaps there's just a switch he can turn off. (Something to look into for Human V2.0) We all saw however an appreciative Ellen accepting a morning pick-me-up from Cavil.

I'm pretty certain that Mr Hogan is credited in the beginning of each episode though.

Mr BO

Edited on 02/20/2009 3:26pm

my1sunshine

[13]Feb 20, 2009
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:

I'm pretty certain that Mr Hogan is credited in the beginning of each episode though.

Mr BO

He is.. after the main credits. I'm talking about the main credits.

gameaddict93

[14]Feb 20, 2009
    is it me or was bear mcreary in the backround of the bar scene with starbuck and gaelen?

ISpeakTheTruth

[15]Feb 20, 2009
    • level: 33

That was the most depressing episode ever... why would they kill Tigh and Caprica's baby like that? I mean honestly what was the point of even bringing it up in the story to begin with? Unless he got reborn in Anders. Did you see how after Tigh told Adama the baby had died that Ander's life signs went through the roof? But god that was such a horribly depressing thing to do to Caprica and Tigh and wouldn't you know it I hate Ellen all over again.

On a side note I think it was pretty much given away that Kara is Daniel in the only scene she was in she said that watching Tigh and Ellen kiss was like watching their parents. Because I think they are, Daniel was made by Tigh and Ellen and Daniel because of that pool tampering became Kara.

But god that was such a terribly sad show

wedgeantilles54

[16]Feb 20, 2009

well not as exciting as the last few eps
    but some interesting developments epsically the baltar bits like the return of head 6 and him talking adama out the guns to form his own millita or whatever
    I'm also convinced that ever since she figured out she was cylon tori has begun to dislike humanity for what ever reason while the others haven't really decided their place in things or have just kept on going like before.

I'm woundering if the piano bit in the bar is a hint at something or just their (espically after seeing the preview at the end of the ep)
    And it looks like anders might be awake again soon

Tigh also seems to be having issues and it was rather sad that his baby died.

I also do find the ending to be rather interging and prehaps a message of sorts (considering how for most of the show it was humans vs clyons)

hazelnut144

[17]Feb 20, 2009
    • level: 8
    Yeah. Bear was with the piano.

So Liam is dead. Saw that coming somewhat. They couldn't just forget about Hera. I just loved the conversation between Laura and Caprica. The way it played out was perfect, and still doesn't leave much clue as to what is going to happen with the Hera storyline.

This episode really saw a return of Ellen. The Ellen we all know, and many hate. She is a very good character, but I do quite loathe her as a person. The manipulation was somewhat horrible, and lead to the death of Saul's child. Though she could perhaps have really felt horrible for what she did at the end, I am not completely convinced, nor does it change the fact that it was her fault.

Tyrol recognizing Boomer before she even said anything was really well done. Do you think she busted a gimble on the landing? I am assuming they are going somewhere with that, and it should be interesting to see where.

Gaius's plotline? Well it was awesome to see head Six back. I didn't really realize how much I had missed her until she returned. Did the "and we need more guns" bring anyone else back to first season; Baltar telling Adama that he needed a nuke? Also, I thought that Paula had murder on her mind in that last scene. Baltar's inability to figure out a gun was somewhat amusing. The only time he ever shot one was when he killed Crashdown down on Kobol, right?

And Sam is alive! I think. Those sensors were going a bit wacky.

The integration of Galactica with the cylon tech is really interesting, and pretty awesome to see working it's way through the people in the ship. The scene at the end with both cylon and colonial pilots going out on CAP (I will assume that is where they were headed), and the cylon memorial wall? Very nicely done.

123home123

[18]Feb 20, 2009
    • level: 55
    The piano was a hint that something was up with that very scene, which others also caught. That was indeed Bear McCreary in the background, a few feet behind Kara at the end of the scene in Joe's Bar. Kara's line about not noticing the piano before was a clear signal about Bear's appearance. Bear trained on piano and keyboards before becoming a composer. He is also an accomplished accordionist. In fact, he considers it his main instrument nowadays.

I guess it shows how much we're into BSG when we can spot the composer right away. I did some research on Bear a year ago when I did that interview with him (which I posted on the Editor's Blog for this guide) so I was familiar with his look. The second I saw that shot, I knew it was him. Just to confirm, I checked his official blog. Yeah, he makes a veiled reference to that scene. He posted a screenshot, circled his face on the picture and said "Who is that sexy crew-member back there?? "

He posted that blog entry just a few hours ago so as not to spoil the cameo. He also states that he just finished the final orchestral recording session for the BSG finale. He'll probably add some synthesizer and limited band cues (electric guitar, bass, taiko drums and what-not) along with editing but the orchestral music for the series is now finished. I would have thought that the music would have been taken care of a while back. The episodes were shot a few months ago, I thought.

But I'm glad Bear got an onscreen moment in the series. Mark one down for the musicians and composers!

I guess I got carried away with Bear's appearance and I didn't even comment on the rest of the episode. I'm adding some items to the guide but I'll post on the thread again later.

martymcflyjb

[19]Feb 21, 2009

Hungry_Homer111 wrote:
    I'm a bit worried that they may slip a bit before the end, because it's hard for a show to remain consistantly good for so long. If a show has so many great episodes, and I get used to having that, even a very good episode can seem disappointing by comparison.

Aw, I think you jinxed it!

Well, this was a bit disappointing, given the last few episodes. I'd say it's the worst since Sina Qua Non. But a good episode of BSG is better than 90% of what's on TV.

It just seemed like they spent too much time on unnecessary plotlines considering we only have five episodes left. What was the point of Baltar's storyline in this ep? And why did Ellen revert back to her old self, at least until the baby miscarried and she seemed to snap out of it?

And what was that very last shot? It looked like they put Boomer's picture up on the memory wall, but clearly Boomer's alive and well in the Brig, as shown in the preview.

Sektos

[20]Feb 21, 2009

This episode lost me. I have been enjoying this 2nd half thoroughly, but i just could not feel anything for this episode.

Ellen, after selling that she would be good for the final cylon last episode was reduced to being her old annoying and selfish self. It just didnt make any sense after how well composed, understanding and caring she became last episode.

Adama constantly checking the ship- WE GET IT! why did we need 4 cutaways to the same expression and a 6 rubbing goo in cracks?

Gauis- I LOVED this character! he was the best on the show for me from season 1 to 3, and now he's been reduced to this moron! i enjoyed his comedic moments in the past like im sure most did but now he's become entirely that. What happened to the chosen one! Time and again they back flip this season; he believes in God and wants to preach, no actually he's just using them to survive, BUT WAIT he's learnt to be responsible for them, oh no actually he thinks they're fools. And of course head 6, once such a huge peice of mythology on this show, randomly pops back in after having been gone for ages and offers nothing. along with this i am left stumped as to what happened to Head Baltar!

Tigh and Caprica - Unnecessary plot that has ultimately added nothing that could not have been handled in a far better way. Tigh is meant to be with Ellen and through out season 3 and half of 4 that was the whole point! Caprica is meant to be with Baltar; they both enter the opera house with Hera, they have copies of each other within their heads and until season 4 both were in their strange relationship (head copies to meeting again, then on basestar together in a three-way relationship and then separated by prison).

Edited on 02/21/2009 1:04am