Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Escape Velocity" (U.S. air date 4/25/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[1]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 55
    Summary: Baltar promotes his belief in the "one true Cylon god," setting off an intense debate about religious freedom in the fleet.

-----------------------

I thought I'd put this thread up before I forgot about it. (I have a few extra things to take care of this week and I didn't want Friday to arrive with no episode discussion thread.)

The promos didn't reveal as much about this episode as they did for last week's episode ("The Ties That Bind"). Thus, I really have no idea about what's going to happen in this one, which is good.

Maybe we'll see more of the Demetrius and her crew. Could that be the meaning of the title, that they pass the point of no return and can never meet up with the Colonial fleet again? I don't know how that would work with FTL drives and such. This is just pure speculation on my part since I haven't read anything about the episode other than the sentence about Baltar above.

The episode will be available as a streaming video feed on the official Sci Fi site (www.scifi.com/battlestar) this Friday at 12 noon ET. Only one preview screening this week, not the 8 online broadcasts we had last week. If you can't watch it online or you don't like watching BSG on a smaller computer monitor, tune in on Friday at 10 pm ET and at 9 pm PT. (No that's not a typo. After the first TV broadcast, Sci Fi will show a repeat of that evening's episode of Doctor Who and then the BSG episode airs again, at midnight ET/9 pm PT.)

-----------------------

NOTE - Don't forget that you can find the discussion thread for any other episode of the show just by consulting the index of discussion threads located in the GUIDELINES thread pinned near the top of the forum index or click on the link in this sentence.

And one more general item: avid fans of the show may wish to start skipping some of the weekly promos, and even the general BSG promos on the Sci Fi Channel. They really are starting to give away too much in some of those ads. Beware!
    Edited on 04/24/2008 4:19am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tripping82

[2]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 14
    The description, as well as, previews for tomorrow's episode are a bit vague. Anyone have any insight as to what to expect?

Vincent2013

[3]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 7

***SPOILER***

tripping82

[4]Apr 24, 2008
    I got that just from the preview. I'm trying to find out if there is another storyline other than Baltar's one god.

Vincent2013

[5]Apr 24, 2008
    Oh, sorry, and here i am thinking that I was shedding some light on the episode(not being sarcastic, just so hard to convey the right emotion through the computer)

G_Threat

[6]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 11
    Here is something for those that are lazy to find it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONMVwkfnnY4

tripping82

[7]Apr 25, 2008
    Ok, I've been watching the live stream on scifi.com (only about half way through right now) and I have to say that James Callis is such a great actor.

HeHateMe5

[8]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 3
    Scifi's stream just abruptly ended halfways through, says the episoade has ended. What gives???

tripping82

[9]Apr 25, 2008
    Double post - my apologies.

The episode online just stopped about half way through and now just has a screen that says to check back next friday for another episode. ?? Did scifi.com screw up or something or was it only a supposed to be a half and episode? I'm very confused...

HeHateMe5

[10]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 3
    Apparently, there is some confusion over at the scifi forums that this episode was just preview not an entire length show.

tripping82

[11]Apr 25, 2008
    Well that just stinks. It was a tease!

Vincent2013

[12]Apr 25, 2008
    So glad i didnt watch it, and i was basically having withdrawal symptoms not watching it knowing I could.

clos_vf

[13]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 12
    i havent really seen any commercials for this episode either or spoilers. it must contain some good secrets than. cant wait til 10 tonite!

G_Threat

[14]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 11
    I waited this episode for so long, its time they did something about their beliefs.

Idbeolderifiwas

[15]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 20
    Some interesting things went on tonight. The stuff with Six/Tigh was especially interesting to me, and of course Baltar's situation. As tripping82 said, James Callis is an amazing actor, and it really showed tonight. This all being said, I did love the episode, but it was definitely slower than the others this season, and there wasn't anything particularly huge that occurred like in the others. But I did like it. I wonder how come Six can't seem to figure out Tigh. She suspects something but doesn't know why he keeps visiting. Maybe she'll figure it out eventually? The stuff with Tyrol was pretty boring to me, but I'm curious what he'll get up to now that he's off Galactica, or at least not working on the crew.

danharr

[16]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 45
    Really fun watching Chief and Tyrol melt down and I love the way it appeared for a minute six knew Ty's secret. I like Balthar with guts no more whining and standing up for something and I love the religious freedom subtext of the episode. Wonder what chief will do when he finds out one of his cylon compatriots killed his wife? He may have hated her but wanting her dead is a whole other story.

serenity01

[17]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 15

that was an amazing episode, the craziness continues.

first of all Tyrol...OH MY GOD!!!!!!! was so touching at the funeral, then just goes insane on Adama in the bar. he's starting to lose his grip on things without cally there, i wonder if nicky is going to be safe around him. when they showed him looking at nicky it just had the feeling like he might do something to harm nicky, and not even intentionally.

it's interesting to see the 4 going kinda loopy. Tori is starting to sound like the leobans, d'anna's and sixes in the religious sense with a bit of the cavils thrown in for superiority. it'll be interesting to see the change in the dynamic of the 4 when they meet again given all that has happened.

and Tigh...what the hell was that?!?!?!? in general that was creepy and weird, but awesome at the same time. there might be some more alone time with caprica six in his future though.

lee has turned into the "right-thing" guy, which he always was, but now his power has grown with this new appointment. which is not bad to have that voice of forever optimisim and belief in that "right-thing" but the president is right that the right thing is just not the way to go, especially when it comes to baltar.

it seems as though the president and adama are getting close again, which makes me happy. that reaction to the book he was reading her after that blow up by Tyrol was beautiful, on both parts.

but an amazing episode with a bunch of twists and turns and craziness

oh and an after-thought...last week i was thinking it's kinda convenient that all of the final 4 have a name that has a "T"...i wasn't so sure about anders, but a friend said they believed that he was san T anders...so i was wondering if it was a coincidence, but given RDM and the rest of the series, nothing is just a coincidence...just thought that was interesting and weird and maye if i'm right about the T in anders name it might be a clue as to the final model...just putting it out there

jackvancouver

[18]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 6

Baltar's #6 picking him up like it was invisible is "Shocking! Weird! Beyond Belief!"

Another question arises, when Adama was talking about a Cylon wife in the bar, did he hallucinate it or did he really say it?

serenity01

[19]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 15
    jackvancouver wrote:

Baltar's #6 picking him up like it was invisible is "Shocking! Weird! Beyond Belief!"

Another question arises, when Adama was talking about a Cylon wife in the bar, did he hallucinate it or did he really say it?

that had to be an hallucination...the way it was done made it seem like it was something real, but it happened in the small section of time before Adama got his drink. and if it actually happened wouldn't others in the bar have reacted to that statement?

Idbeolderifiwas

[20]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 20

serenity01 wrote:
    oh and an after-thought...last week i was thinking it's kinda convenient that all of the final 4 have a name that has a "T"...i wasn't so sure about anders, but a friend said they believed that he was san T anders...so i was wondering if it was a coincidence, but given RDM and the rest of the series, nothing is just a coincidence...just thought that was interesting and weird and maye if i'm right about the T in anders name it might be a clue as to the final model...just putting it out there

We already have a discussion about that topic going on Here

jackvancouver wrote:

It was a hallucination, just like when Tigh saw himself shoot Adama in the head.

Edited on 04/25/2008 8:22pm