Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Exodus, Part 1" (spoilers)

minocris

[61]Oct 17, 2006
    • level: 3

StelingMB wrote:
    Somehow it seemed, ever so subtly, that Kara could accidentally end up bonding with the child. Unless, hoping again hope, she's just putting on a show for Leoben, bidding her time while figuring our an escape plan...

I was beginning to think "am i the only one?" till i read your last sentence here. Yes i actually think Kara is just playing. With the girl and also Leoben. The girl falling and injuring herself was just a perfect coincidence and opportunity for Kara to use to her advantage. And Casey looking older than Hera; IF she really is Kara's daughter i might have an explanation as: Casey was actually "bred" and sort of "built". Not really "born and raised" as Hera. So Casey is more machine with human contribution, which does not really define her as "hybrid". She was not the nature's way of doing things so she might not be counted as "the shape of things to come", but just a "lab experiment". Of course Leoben may have lied just to pump Kara's "emotional side" up and maybe fool her for himself. But whatever the small girl is i would understand Kara wanting to take her back, cause she is a much valuable research object.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

avstars

[62]Oct 17, 2006
    • level: 4
    can't wait till next week.

DarqAli

[63]Oct 17, 2006
    • level: 1
    From the time-line we were shown, Hera must be at least a couple months older than Kacey. Yet, each glimpse we have of Hera shows her younger than Kacey.

The above suggestions were good, but here is a factoid that could account for this:

True, if each child were of the lineage we're told, each is a hybrid of Human and Cylon background. But note, Sharon's baby has a Cylon mother, while supposedly, Kacey has a Human mother.

When two species are cross-mated, producing hybrid offspring, which is the mother matters and the results are similar but NOT the same. The egg from the mother contains mitochondrial DNA, which the sperm does not contain. Each parent contributes 50% of the offspring's nuclear DNS, but Mt-DNA comes only from the mother.

Cross a jack {donkey} on a mare {horse} and you get a hybrid whose name you all know: A Mule. The opposite cross, a stallion {horse} on a jennet {donkey} produces a rather different hybrid many of you never heard of: A Hinny. The hinny is smaller than a mule, not as strong, and favors the very placid donkey nature of its' dam rather than the higher-strung nature of the Mule, who also favors the higher-strung nature of its horse dam.

Cross a lion and a tiger, the different hybrids are either Lygers or Tyglons, depending on which is the mother. One is about the same size as either parent cat, the other gets HUGE, and so on.

So, IF both of these children are indeed Human/Cylon hybrids {agree, on that, the jury is very much still out on Kasye's real parentage}, they may be rather different. One may grow faster, larger and stronger, for openers. And their nature may be very different - each more like its mother than father, emotionally.

kdubya8

[64]Oct 17, 2006

melbye80 wrote:
    Great episode, but what the hell happend to Tyrols beard

I was wondering the same thing

Chattermouth

[65]Oct 19, 2006
    • level: 6
    kdubya8 wrote:

melbye80 wrote:

It's a special syndrome that sometimes develops in military 'lifers', that I learned about during my time in the military. It has similarities with an allergic reaction.
    Upon contact with, or expected contact with military issue uniform textiles, facial hairgrowth is spontaneusly purged, and falls off, practically overnight.

Adama's mustache is an exception, depending on several factors, like; Officers have a higher distribution of testosterone, because of their dominance and position of leadership. The testosterone counteracts the loss of facial hair. It can also depend on how long a subject has been in the military. Long exposure to the beard-killing textiles can eventually lead to an immunity.

I hope this answers your questions.
    Cheers.

DarqAli

[66]Oct 19, 2006
    In peaceful times, long hair provides warmth. And, shaving can be difficult in primitive conditions.

OTOH, long hair is a "handle" to an opponant.

Perhaps some of you saw last Sunday, when an NFL football player was caught by his very long hair and thrown down. Had his hair been short, the opposing player would likely not have caught him.

So, yes, shorter hair has from early days been common on warriors.

Note: Starbuck sported rather chopped off, short locks when first shown, and her hair has grown progressivly longer all through the series. I've heard when she returns to the Humans, she shaves her head as a return to Warrior Starbuck, turning away from Mommy Kera. Not unlikely.

No warrior wants a beard as a handhold for an opponant to grab. And short hair is cleaner in the field, where clean up is difficult to impossible. Even in space.

Chattermouth

[67]Oct 19, 2006

None of the guys have long hair. Jeez.

And the BEARD in question is not long enaugh to be any kind of handle.

Pedroff

[68]Oct 19, 2006
    Chattermouth wrote:
    kdubya8 wrote:

melbye80 wrote:

It's a special syndrome that sometimes develops in military 'lifers', that I learned about during my time in the military. It has similarities with an allergic reaction.
    Upon contact with, or expected contact with military issue uniform textiles, facial hairgrowth is spontaneusly purged, and falls off, practically overnight.

Adama's mustache is an exception, depending on several factors, like; Officers have a higher distribution of testosterone, because of their dominance and position of leadership. The testosterone counteracts the loss of facial hair. It can also depend on how long a subject has been in the military. Long exposure to the beard-killing textiles can eventually lead to an immunity.

I hope this answers your questions.
    Cheers.

That was funny, all I was going to say is that he encountered a creature that eats beards.

123home123

[69]Oct 19, 2006
    • level: 55
    Or it could be that they filmed those scenes long after the rest of the episode had been shot.

The actor (Aaron Douglas) had shaved for his appearances in later episodes but didn't have time to regrow the beard for the new scenes. He didn't think a glued-on beard would look good and so you saw a clean-shaven Tyrol.

They could have included a scene of him shaving as a way of marking his preparation for the Galactica's return.
    Edited on 10/19/2006 12:45pm

DarqAli

[70]Oct 19, 2006
    I was explaining the tradition common in military men of shaving prior to a conflict, Not on the actual length of the beard or hair in question. One can find examples of ancient warriors wearing longer hair and beards, too. But short hair and clean-shaven warriors are common and that is common sense. If the peace were over and face to face combat iminant, it is often the warrior tradition to shave and cut hair.  Did you see "G.I.Jane?"  When the woman got real serious, she shaved her head. Again, Starbuck began the series with short, chopped off hair. It has grown steadily longer and "Mommy Kara" has long flowing locks. She gets back to Galactica, she'll cut it. Back to "warrior mode".
    Edited on 10/19/2006 2:04pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Chattermouth

[72]Oct 19, 2006
    I guess that's one anthropological way of putting it. Another could be "army regulations".