Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Faith" (U.S. air date 5/9/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[1]May 5, 2008
    • level: 55
    Episode summary: The dying President Roslin and the aggressive Viper pilot Kara Thrace try to accept the new terms of the relationship with the Cylons.

This episode picks up the story from last week's episode as the crew of the Demetrius threatens to mutiny against Kara's erratic leadership of the mission. This is the first BSG episode written by Seamus Kevin Fahey, although he has been involved with the series for some time now as an assistant.

I skipped most of the promo for the episode because I think the Sci Fi Channel is revealing too much in the ads.

As always, avoid mentioning any spoilers in this thread until after the episode has aired on the Sci Fi Channel. SciFi.com will stream a 10-minute preview of the episode each hour from 9 am to 4 pm ET this Friday but not the entire episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alllstarz

[2]May 9, 2008
    • level: 4
    thank god this episode has some promise and action.

alllstarz

[3]May 9, 2008

sort of my reactions as it comes;

Whoa that was the dumbest smart move by Sam if i ever saw one (i konw oxymoron)... finally some one forces getta to shut up (sort of).. Poor athena I wonder what's going through her head

WOW roslin talk about taking a dramatic change. makes me apprecaite her acting even more

seems leoban is creeping on Anders.. maybe leoban feels something towards him Wow talk about a ship graveyard. Wonder if Getta is going to live (seems like a lot of people are goign to die this season). Leoban said something about how the models can hear music being played like "vibrations" and that they all can hear it. (wish they would play all along the watchtower lol.)

eww what is that living tissue acting as an airlock lol. I guess Athena is going to have alot of inner struggle. WOW guess there is even more inner strife going on with the cylons then we first thought.

Marry mcdonald looks like a gangster. whoaa is anders goign to try to see if he is a cylon ohh soo close.

talk about hostile feeligns towards each other. It's werid seeing the two 6's one with a wig and one without takes some talented acting or filming. and here comes a random makeout with (herself creepy) and a shot to the back of the head.

Its somewhat creeping hearing baltars soothing voice in the background of the conversations of Roslin and that girl.

( I hate commericals, but chronicals of narnia looks good same with dark knight, seems two-face is the next supervillian in the next movie)

Ohh HYBRRIDD TIME;

"the child of the one we are born shall find their own country. " (creepy line) something about the centurion standing there looking ominously (if robots can) seems they may have thier own plan in mind.

Im glad this girl enjoys chilling by the river.

ohh something huge is going to happen i feel the build up.

more Hybrid talk

"hope soaring to slaughter their best against our hulls"

Getta looks so pale looks like he may not make it.

Hybrid;

"your a spark of gods fire horribly complete"

WOW centurian is not a good thing.

serious talk Hybrid talk;

"This will come to pass, the dying leader will know the the truth of the opera house, the missing 3 (deanna) will give you the 5 which came from the home of the 13, you are the harbginer of death kara thrice you will lead them all to their death. end of line" (PVR is Amazing for the quick hybrid talk)

crazy women said something of interest. "the gods handing out fates like a urn on fire" --> seems like something from the last supper picture.

some powerful moments with this emily character, shows a different side of Roslin which is a nice break from the cold hard politican who adama reads too speaking of which I haven't seen etheir so far... must be on a vacation or lee is back with that prostitue.

this whole no reserection ship is werid, now they konw what it is like to be human.. sort of gives an erry feel to it.

Anders showing compassion for a cylon.. and athena isn't werid.

Opera house is at the home of the 13th tribe and the final five, came from there which is earth and i guess the missing 3 is in fact Deanna.. so that means someone is going ot be unboxed!!!!!!

I guess Roslin end is coming near as she can see her family on the boat... more foreshadowing Man next episode is going to be greatt. I'm finally happy and feel like this is another great epsiode since the first one.

Is getta going to make it? is he goign ot have oen leg and be called stubby? who knows

ahah looks like battlestar gots a big ass half destoried baseship in the fleet.. imagine adama's face whe nhe see's that thing on dradius.

Holy cow its the first time i've seen adama since 2 episodes feels like its been foreverrr.

aww another cute scene with adam and roslin.

zukiki

[4]May 9, 2008
    • level: 10

Holy Gods! Best episode of the season, completely renewed my faith in the show. They need to keep this new writer, and maybe lose some of the ones writing episodes earlier in the season. While again not much happened, they for once actually executed it well.

I loved Gaeta getting shot (He was well over due).

Anders was just fantastic in everything he did.

I don't hate Roslin anymore!! and I can't say enough about Nana Visitor, a truly great actress.

The Death of the Six...truely amazing

I can't say enough great things about this episode...It's almost kind of sad though, knowing it won't quite be as good next week (Call me a cynic, but Michael Angeli is a horrible writer and doesn't deserve to be messing with such a great show)

Idbeolderifiwas

[5]May 9, 2008
    • level: 20
    I enjoyed the episode, more so than last week for sure. Although it would have been nice to see the Demetrius and the Basestar rendezvous with the fleet, I guess we'll have to wait until next week to see it happen. And of course the main point of the episode, the Hybrid talking to Kara was a big pay off too, and I'm glad that I stayed away from the Previews from last week because I heard that they revealed part of what she told Kara. We now know the difference between the final 5 and the known seven, that they are from Earth and know how to get back. I doubt they will realize how until they find the last one, though. Still it's good to know where the final five are from, and it answers a lot of our questions about the fundamental differences between the two types of Cylons. My guess is that the 13th tribe developed much the same as the other 12, and created the Cylons who then rebelled, left for years then came back and killed all the Humans on Earth. Then they left Earth and found their way back to the Colonies somehow. It's also good to know that D'Anna is probably coming back in the next 2 episodes, and she will know the faces of the final five, which should be incredibly interesting. Overall a better episode than last week, but could have been better, if they hadn't had all that junk about the other Woman dying of Cancer.

alllstarz

[6]May 9, 2008

I felt that stuff about cancer was needed.

it just showed a more humane side to roslin and that it acting going to make me sad when and if she dies.

24Titan

[7]May 9, 2008
    • level: 13

I don't think I've ever seen an episode of BSG as nomination-worthy as this one. Mary McDonnell should be nominated for Best Actress, Nana Visitor should be nominated for Best Guest Actress, and the show should be nominated for Best Drama.

After a couple episodes that were a little less than stellar, "Faith" has brought the show back, and man, it's great! I love that Kara is now making sense and she's not acting all crazy. I've been waiting the last five episodes for that. And they're really killing off a lot of people. In the last four episodes, we have had three recurring characters die. That's more than in the rest of the series.

The opening Demetrius scenes were pretty frickin' intense. The whole "mutiny" thing was pretty nuts. And Gaeta getting shot was probably one of the most painful things that I've ever seen. I also loved the basestar scenes. It was great to see the Cylons again, and I loved the Hybrid. Awesome as always.

But the best part of this episode was easily the scenes with Laura and Emily. Those scenes are some of the saddest and most poignant in the entire series. Both actresses were absolutely superb, especially Nana Visitor. I love seeing the tough exterior of Roslin crack. We're getting to see her better because we're learning more about her.

Best episode of the season so far. And next week looks nuts! Keep it coming, RDM!

danharr

[8]May 9, 2008
    • level: 45
    Good episode finally Kara's fate spelled out in big letters and plenty of action. Nice seeing another side of the six proving that their just as human or worse since they have to relive their darkest moments. I really would've liked more from the base ship than unplugging her but I suppose she served her purpose for the episode. Man i'm really jonesing for the final five to be outed guess I need to savior the tension and just sit back and enjoy the season and bide my time.

alllstarz

[9]May 9, 2008
    I like how it is called "faith" as it renued my faith in the show; afte the past few episodes.

oldsage

[10]May 9, 2008
    • level: 9
    alllstarz wrote:

"This will come to pass, the dying leader will know the the truth of the opera house, the missing 3 (deanna) will give you the 5 which came from the home of the 13, you are the harbginer of death kara thrice you will lead them all to their death. end of line" (PVR is Amazing for the quick hybrid talk)

This is what I heard the hybrid say...

"Thus will it come to pass. The dying leader will know the truth of the opera house. The missing three will give you the five who have come from the home of the thirteen. You are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace. You will lead them all to their end. End of line."

Leading them all to their "end" may be different than leading them all to their "death". I don't mean to nitpick, but it seemed significant.

Great episode. Another great episode. I don't understand the criticism past episodes have received, but oh well, folks are entitled to their opinions.

THEY SHOT FELIX!!

I didn't really understand why the Six killed Jeanne. I mean, I know the reason she killed her, because Jeanne killed her previous model, but I didn't understand the plot device. Was to demonstrate the unravelling of the Sixes? Was it to show that the Cylons are having difficulty dealing in the face of real death?

So, what's up with the Eights? You have Boomer and Athena and a million duds?

I was really hoping that Anders would have touched the interface.

It's time to bring on D'Anna!

alllstarz

[11]May 9, 2008

ahah its okay you have a right to be nitpicky, i would be too;

your right it is "end" i just went back to check it now.

hazelnut144

[12]May 9, 2008
    • level: 8

I think I am in some kind of shock. Amazing episode. I mean....wow. Okay well first the whole shootout was just crazily intense. I mean I had a feeling Anders would probably go all overprotective, but that played out incredibly intensely. And it was obvious that Kara never wanted it to go to violence.

Athena and Barolay trusting her? That was nice, and awesome. Barolay said it best.

Anders is going crazy in his own way, but differently than the other four. Similar to Tory in that he is starting to embrace his nature, but not in the same way as she is. She is embracing what she thinks she knows of the cylons. The superstrenght, ruthlessness, and this freedom she feels in that she doesn't have to be human anymore. Anders, on the other hand, seems to be becoming even more human if that makes sense. He wants to know what it means to be a cylon, but because he is curious mostly. The look on his face as his hand inched towards the control panel? Amazing acting from Michael Trucco. And when he comforted the eight? That was beautiful. Trucco was just outstanding this episode.

Roslin's subplot about dying was very well done. I loved the fact that Mary McDonnell shaved her head. And it was kind of creepy to have Baltar's "soothing" voice in the background. Does the guy EVER sleep??? But the seeing your family? That was beautifully done. And harks back to something that they had meant to do with Lee when he was floating in the water, dying during Resurrection Ship pt 2.

Kara's plotline...The basestar is the comet?!?! Wow. And now she knows what we have known since Razor. I couldn't figure out if anyone else heard the "Harbringer of Death" part. Because I would have thought SOMEONE would have acted a bit more freaked out.

And that bit with Natalie and the killer Six??? Intense! I was definitely going for Natalie snapping her neck. I knew she was going to kill the Six. It was the only way that could have worked out. And Tricia Helfer is officially even more awesome. She just kissed herself...

The hybrid stuff, well I didn't catch some of it, mostly just the stuff that was repeated several times, but I'm sure someone will transcribe it by tomorrow. But there was that one part that I think was repeated a few times. Something like "the child of the one we are born shall find their own country" I am thinking something about Hera and Nicky, but that is just my gut feeling. I'm not the master at picking apart hybrid talk. And I want to get a proper transcript first, so I'll probably go through the episode again tomorrow.

And so now the cylons might as well be humans. They can't resurrect anymore. That is certainly interesting. And the centurions don't seem to be following any orders they don't want to. Except for perhaps the hybrid's.

The final Roslin and Adama scene was absolutely ADORABLE. They are both such amazing actors.

As for next episode (no spoilers, I didn't watch the promo at all) I just am very excited to see Adama's face when Kara tows back a cylon basestar. "Hey boss, look what I found!" And maybe we will actually get to see Lee. That is probably the one thing about this episode. I miss Lee. Not that he really would have fitted in to any of the plotlines, so his not being around does make sense, but I do miss him. Maybe he was sitting around listening to Baltar's never-ending sermons.

Oh and anyone else betting on a final cylon reveal as the midseason cliffhanger??? Because that would just be TORTUROUS. But awesome at the same time. Or maybe they will just make the final cylon appears, everyone sees him or her, and we get the reactions and then, TO BE CONTINUED.

Edited on 05/09/2008 8:54pm

KevDogg24

[13]May 9, 2008
    This definately was a great episode, finally some payoff, unlike last weeks episode where SciFi basically showed us the whole episode in the preview. The other woman who had cancer totally mind fraked Roslins mind. Going in Roslin was all pro-Gods but now she is questioning everything she believes after she had a shared dream with the dying woman who passed over in the dream and in real life at the same time. Anders, great writing with him, trying to sneak into the Cylon systems. I was doubting that he could get in unnoticed however he was interrupted. This brings up a question, the 13th tribe must of evolved parallel to each other because when Anders was dogfighting in the Viper and encountered the Cylon he couldn't kill Anders and the Cylon interfaced so Earth Cylons a capatible with Caprica Cylons. Anyways didn't the 13th tribe leave the colonies because they rejected the way of life technologically? Alot must of changed on Earth, I think I would've liked to see that story told in a prequel instead of Caprica, that is just my opinion. Alot of emotion between the Cylons and Humans, when Anders had the gun up to Six's head and Natilie grabbed Anders head nad pulled the trigger that was very compelling writing. Then when they were at the hybrid and they disconnect the Centurion and all hell breaks loose, great stuff. I said the same exact thing, Adama is going to go nuts when a Cylon Basestar jumps to them, i wanted to see this episode as it would of been a great cliffhanger but they went with the other ending which was great itself. It showed how Adama has changed throughout the series as he was more of an atheist but his views have changed since the attack on Caprica; I guess we come to our shows title as Adama now has faith.

zukiki

[14]May 9, 2008
    • level: 10

oldsage wrote:
    I didn't really understand why the Six killed Jeanne. I mean, I know the reason she killed her, because Jeanne killed her previous model, but I didn't understand the plot device. Was to demonstrate the unravelling of the Sixes? Was it to show that the Cylons are having difficulty dealing in the face of real death?

So, what's up with the Eights? You have Boomer and Athena and a million duds?

The Death of Jeanne, demonstrated a very human moment for that Six Model. Just because we personally tend to support the fleet and the resistance, it doesn't change the fact the cyclons came to New Caprica with good intentions, and were brutally murdered. Just like how most humans would kill a cyclon given the chance, without a second though because of what they did, the cyclons, and in partiuclar this Six model, feels the same way.

As for the Sharon models, the way I see it, is that they all start out the same in the beginning, but then grow and develp into who they are based on thier experiances. Most if not all the sharons on that basestar have probebly never even left the ship. While you have Boomer who's lived abord Galactica, and gone though eveything that she has, as well as Athena, whoes done what she has. It makes perfect sence that the majority of them are as timid as they are, as they've lived a pretty shealtered life.

hazelnut144

[15]May 9, 2008
    • level: 8
    Yeah, I think its a bit like was said in "Downloaded" Athena and Boomer have experienced things. Their voices count for more, because of their experiences.

noty222

[16]May 10, 2008
    • level: 2
    Gaeta TO Starbuck "You frakking b***" when she salts his wound. I enjoy not liking her anymore. That open mouthed teeth clench scowl she gave when the mutiny started is annoying. Thought she was getting the first bullet.

MichaudMR

[17]May 10, 2008
    • level: 17

This episode hit square on the middle of one of the main themes of BSG. The need in all of us to try to make some sort of sense out of the apparent random chaos of our existence. Caprica Six didn't really intend to kill Jean it just happened that way, Emily surviving all that has happened just to die horribly from cancer, the gunnery Sargent from the last episode, and so on. We all look to some sort of master plan only to discover that either there isn't one or it's so far past our ability to comprehend as to make it worthless to us.

There is always a few folks who have stumbled upon a glimpse at the meaning of it all and many more who claim to know the answers to gain power. Has Baltar evolved from a self serving pretender to something else or is it still just a put on? Has President Roslin experienced an epiphany? Now that Kara knows more about her "special destiny" what will she do with the knowledge?

WHAT A RIDE! I'll gladly put up with a few slow set up episodes to get to these moments.

simulacra-

[18]May 10, 2008
    • level: 5
    I wonder how the centuroins will react to one of them getting shot to scraps while trying to protect the hybrid. I've always suspected that the removing of the chip in the centurions was a bad idea, they might be complacent to the insurrection-cylons NOW, but what about later, they're still combat machines and their intelligence probably only encompass basic instincts, yet they still defended the hybrid from a superior cylon.
    Edited on 05/10/2008 8:29am

clos_vf

[19]May 10, 2008
    • level: 12
    It was crazy seeing Athena and all the other eights together. I was thinking they would attack her and switch her.

The six dying was crazy i had a feeling after she killed Jeanne she would die next. It was great seeing Six kiss herself.

Its going to be very strange seeing Natalie together with the crew next episode.

my1sunshine

[20]May 10, 2008
    • level: 12
    Well, people..for better or worse, all the twists, turns, mysteries, etc..are all starting to pay off in spades. I'm having a great time seeing it happen. And i'll tell you one thing, when they stop mid-season, it's gonna be one torturous wait. i too, think the last ball to drop before the hiatus is going to be the reveal of the final Cylon. Who else but me is smelling that re-watch thread again?