Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Faith" (U.S. air date 5/9/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

hazelnut144

[21]May 10, 2008
    • level: 8
    Oh yeah. The midseason cliffhanger is going to be horrible. I am guessing either reveal of final cylon, or the reveal of the reactions of characters to the final cylon, without actually revealing him or her.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[22]May 10, 2008
    • level: 55
    After a couple of low-key good but not great episodes, this was a truly outstanding episode! I'd put it up there with "Downloaded," "33," "Exodus, Part 2," "Crossroads, Part 2," "Collaborators," "Pegasus," and a few others as one of the landmark episodes of the series, and of television drama in general.

This episode reached the level of visual poetry. Both of the alternating storylines hit on all cylinders. Laura Roslin's exploration of the meaning of life and the possibility of an afterlife was completely engrossing. Her quiet talks with Emily, the other cancer patient, brought out emotional depth and a new side to the mysterious religious element of the series. The dream sequence on the boat along the river was serene, comforting and melancholic, all at the same time. It shows that there is hope, for all of them. Hope for happiness and hope for the company of loved ones past and present. At the same time, it signaled Laura Roslin's impending demise. But at least we know that she will end up in a more peaceful place than the Colonial fleet.

The shootout added pizazz early on while we got loads and loads of mythology development in the story of the expedition to the Cylon base ship. I liked Athena's speech to the other Sharon models, that they had to pick a side and stick to it, instead of being so wishy-washy and trying to cut and run. Then the Hybrid told Kara that she was the harbinger of death who would lead them to their end.

The scene with the Number Six and Barolay was chilling. Six was acting on very human emotion, a burning desire for revenge. She reminded me a lot of Gina and her desire to go out in a blaze of glory. There's a definite suicidal/murderous streak in the Six line. Then Natalie made an enormous sacrifice, killing the other Six in order to maintain the truce between the humans and the rebel Cylons. Cold, very cold.

There were so many spine-tingling moments like that in this episode. I have to admit that a couple of the previous episodes this season didn't hit me like that. They had a moment or two like that and a good story, but they didn't jump out at me as mind-blowing stories. "Faith" does. This is exactly why I watch this series, for the intense conflict, the spiritual exploration, the tough moral choices during a time of war, and the continuing story line that has revealed strong character development beginning with the December 2003 miniseries and carrying on into 2008 and probably 2009. Amazing writing, directing and acting in this one. They really hit the ball out of the park this time!

P.S. I'm glad that I skipped the promo shown last week. Though I knew Kara would be on the Cylon base ship, I didn't watch any of the other shots from the promo. This episode completely surprised me. I'm also glad I skipped the montage with the drum accompaniment at the beginning. I also skipped the promo for next week's episode. I found that I enjoyed the episode a lot more by doing so.
    Edited on 05/10/2008 10:55am
    Edited 2 total times.

revenant44

[23]May 10, 2008
    • level: 2
    Natalie had to kill Six - it was the only thing that would calm the humans down and allow them to proceed with their mission. Otherwise there would have been a blood bath and all would have died. The kiss was one of regret and goodbye. Natalie was being more human at that moment than any of the actual humans. I think Six knew what was going to happen too. It was a very sad moment, but I guess many viewers won't see it that way - all they see is two babes kissing.

123home123

[24]May 10, 2008
    my1sunshine wrote:
    Well, people..for better or worse, all the twists, turns, mysteries, etc..are all starting to pay off in spades. I'm having a great time seeing it happen. And i'll tell you one thing, when they stop mid-season, it's gonna be one torturous wait. i too, think the last ball to drop before the hiatus is going to be the reveal of the final Cylon. Who else but me is smelling that re-watch thread again?

We'll have some sort of rewatch series but interest in that seemed to die off after just a few rewatch discussions. I'm also going to pick up my original BSG novel again and finish that, hopefully by the end of the year. By the way, one of the major characters in my online novel is named Demetrios Karkheris. A different spelling, but it's close. I first posted it online in the fall of 2007. I'm still wondering if there's any connection. It would be cool if there were.

my1sunshine

[25]May 10, 2008
    • level: 12

[/QUOTE] We'll have some sort of rewatch series but interest in that seemed to die off after just a few rewatch discussions. I'm also going to pick up my original BSG novel again and finish that, hopefully by the end of the year. By the way, one of the major characters in my online novel is named Demetrios Karkheris. A different spelling, but it's close. I first posted it online in the fall of 2007. I'm still wondering if there's any connection. It would be cool if there were.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame about that re-watch thred. I only discovered it last week. I thought it was a great idea to look for clues, things you didn't notice, etc. For example..it's facinating watching Doral standing in the backround. When he's not talking, he's listening intently and his expressions are very interesting. On first watch, i thought he was the biggest dork.

Anyway, I've been meaning to take a look at your book, 123home, but haven't had a chance. Maybe, if you'd answered my PM, i might have gotten to it sooner, LOL. Just kidding, I know your busy. But I will check out your book.

pgsuperfan

[26]May 10, 2008
    • level: 25
    One thing I cannot figure out I am new to the show if the show takes place in the future then why does the President have cancer ? You would think that by this time all major diseases were all but forgotten. Can anyone help out ?????????????

fangirl4ever

[27]May 10, 2008
    • level: 4

I loved this episode its hard to say which part I loved most. Seeing Nina Major and Mary McDonnel in the same scene was so awesome, this was a great example of what guest stars can add to a show.

Micheal Trucco really showed why he is so much more than just Starbucks husband. Sam's meltdown broke my heart and it really showed how much strugglng the character is doing right now. That whole scene underlined just how much bitterness there is between the sides and just how difficult this alliance is going to be. New Caprica will always be with them.

I actually felt a little sorry for Geata, I hope he doesn't lose a leg over this.

Tsanii

[28]May 10, 2008
    • level: 10

pgsuperfan wrote:
    One thing I cannot figure out I am new to the show if the show takes place in the future then why does the President have cancer ? You would think that by this time all major diseases were all but forgotten. Can anyone help out ?????????????

I don't really think there's been an actual statement of whether or not this is in the future or the past. My understanding is that it's about at the same technological era as us. Meaning, there are ways to treat cancer, but no cure. This isn't Star Trek afterall.

noty222

[29]May 10, 2008
    HERE IS THE WHOLE HYBRID DIALOGUE
    All these things at once and many more.
    Not because it wishes harm,but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly.
    Then shall the maidens rejoice at the dance.
    Structural integrity of node seven restored.
    Repressurizing.
    The children of the one reborn shall find their own country.
    The intruders swarmed like flame.
    Like the whirlwind.
    Hopes soaring to slaughter all their best against our hulls.
    replace internal control accumulators 4 through 19.
    They'll start going ripe on us pretty soon.
    Compartmentalize integrity conflicts with the obligation to provide access.
    Ftl sync fault uncorrected.
    No ceremonies are necessary.
    than shall the maidens rejoice at the dance.
    Structural integrity of node seven restored.
    Repressurizing.
    End of line.
    Reset.
    Track mode monitor malfunction traced.
    Recharge compressors.
    Increase the output to 50%.
    Assume the relaxation length of photons.
    Transfers contact is inevitable,
    leading to information bleed.
    Ftl sync fault stands uncorrected.
    - No ceremonies are necessary.
    Centrifugal forces reacts to the rotating frame of reference.
    The obstinate toy soldier becomes pliant.
    The city devours the land.
    Assume the relaxation length of photons in the sample atmosphere is constant.
    The intruders swarmed like flame.
    Like the whirlwind.
    Hopes soaring to slaughter all their best against our hulls.
    all these things at once and many more.
    Not because it wishes harm
    but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly.
    Reset.
    But you are a spark of god's fire.
    Core update complete.
    threat detection matrix enabled.
    Dendritic response bypassed.
    The received dose is altered by the delayed gamma burst.
    Going active.
    Execute.
    End of line.
    **LONG SCREAM DISCONNECTED**
    Thus will it come to pass.
    The dying leader will know the truth of the opera house.
    The missing three will give you the five who have come from the home of the 13th.
    You are the harbinger of death,kara thrace.
    You will lead them all to their end.
    End of line.

Preyfr60

[30]May 10, 2008

This episod is amazing! Actually, it is the one I was waiting for since episod 4x02...

I was thinking of something. Everybody read what the hybrid said in Razor and in this episod about Kara as she is the "Harbringer of Death" for the human kind. But we already know, and it was stated in this episod (...maybe on 4x05, I watched both episod, today...) that Kara killed more cylons than anyone else in the fleet.

And what if the hybrid call Kara "the Harbringer of Death", meaning for cylons and not humans?! It changes everything!

123home123

[31]May 10, 2008
    Yeah, some people have been speculating about that on the Final Cylon poll thread, that the message refers to the end of the Cylons, not the humans. It's a definite possibility.

hazelnut144

[32]May 10, 2008
    • level: 8
    pgsuperfan wrote:

This is not necessarily the future. They are more advanced than humans in certain ways, yes, in that they have spaceships capable than FTL, but their medicine is one of the ways that they are at a relatively similar level as us. Also, they use phones with cords, they apparently don't have any reliable type of corrective optical surgery since people still wear glasses. This is one of the appeals of this show, at least for me. You can't just press a few buttons, and everything is better. Injuries last, and illnesses kill. For example, in season 1, Starbuck got that knee injury and was limping until well into second season.

MrBovineOrdure

[33]May 10, 2008
    • level: 6

"Look what I found" indeed! Wonder how the centurions are going to react when they find out they've been placed in the middle of the human fleet? Wonder how the humans will react. Next week's definatly going to be fun!

Of course it's still not known how many centurions and raiders are left attached to the ship. I think I'd have to assume "a lot!"

Was that a dream or was President Rosalyn spending some more time in another's head? She seems to be getting better at that. Truely a tear-jerking moment for her to tell her mother; "I'm not ready yet". The expression on the mother was extraordinary.

I love the touch of the unstable munitions amongst the base-stars. The shredded organic matter. The floating dead raiders. The CGI guys must have gone nuts over that one!

Gaeta will probably live, but I'm thinking he'll loose his leg.

So the star system wasn't where earth is, but where the decimated Cylon ships were, one of the base stars being the comet. That was a pretty big surprise! It's back up for grabs as to how they're actually going to find Earth. They'll probably be interested in the Deanna model, but she's being guarded by some very uncooperative Cylons. What will it take to convince Adama to launch any kind of mission to retrieve that one Deanna? It's going to be a miracle that they don't blow that base-star out of the sky once it jumps into the fleet let alone trusting the Cylons on board in any capacity.

Is Adama the "Tin Soldier"?

"We've got the Raptor, we don't need them". That line alone causes me to automatically distrust the Cylons. What was going through Natalie's head?!?!? On one hand she agrees with teaming up with the humans then on the other hand, she's willing to off their delegates? That one makes no sense to me at all.

Mary Mcdonnald's new hair style is impressive. (She's got a big head though )

Mr BO

pyrommiv

[34]May 10, 2008
    • level: 11

Where to start..

Certainly the best episode of the season so far, not a second wasted.

Anders was brilliant, the struggle between the human life he has lead and the cylon future he faces, going from pointing a gun at one cylon, then to comfort another one. Just great. It will be interesting when he gets back and discusses everything with the other 3 of the final five.

The Hybrid speech, the last bit was clearly the most interesting. Lots of questions, and random ideas, about the meaning of the opera house, the harbinger of death and the End. Enough cryptic clues to keep us all guessing for months. The line about "The children of the one reborn shall find their own country" also cause for wonder, the one reborn? points at Starbuck, but children?

Finally Roslin's story, great acting all round. But more questions, i'm not too clear of the idea of the opera house. is it the same one she saw in the shared dream? and suggesting its related to god and earth?

I can't say i care about Gaeta whatever happens to him. Its was nice to see adama again, tho i missed Chief Tyrol, I guess with everything going on they can't have them all in one episode.

Its all like seeing glimpses the light at the end of the tunnel. Clues as to how it will end. Though I doubt much will happen until the last Ep before the mid-season break. Which hopefully will be just as good.

PS: In response to posts about this being set in the "future". its much better interpreted as a parallelism, it seems to me the whole show is about Humanity so it can't be distanced too much from what we know. hence contemporary weapons and diseases and probably the only sci-fi shows i've seen to feature toilets.

EDIT - Something I'd forgot, I found it interesting that the other eights told athena that she had deviated from the Plan, including having a child. Though I thought that procreation, as an edict from god, was vital to their plan.

Edited on 05/10/2008 2:39pm

MichaudMR

[35]May 10, 2008
    • level: 17
    pyrommiv wrote:

In response to posts about this being set in the "future". its much better interpreted as a parallelism, it seems to me the whole show is about Humanity so it can't be distanced too much from what we know. hence contemporary weapons and diseases and probably the only sci-fi shows i've seen to feature toilets.

This is also one of the few programs that shows just how traumatic getting shot really is. All too often we see someone catching a round and shaking it off like it was nothing more than a scratch.

alysonpeltz

[36]May 10, 2008
    • level: 3
    I've said from the beginning that the final cyclon can not be Kara primarily because both Adama's have known her so long and watched her grow/age. However there are things from this episode which leave me questioning...

Firstly when they once again saw the nebular - she stated she could "hear" it. Wasn't that the same music that "called" the other 4?

:
    The child(ren) of the one reborn shall find their own country.

This does seem to imply that she may have resurected. However at the same time, it could also imply that she is the first child of a cylon/human relationship. If this were the case, she would not be the final cylon, but it would explain her relationship with the cylons and her hearing the music of the nebular. This would also put her in the right place/time to lead the rest of the human race to the end of the line - Earth.

Idbeolderifiwas

[37]May 10, 2008
    • level: 20
    pyrommiv wrote:

In response to posts about this being set in the "future". its much better interpreted as a parallelism, it seems to me the whole show is about Humanity so it can't be distanced too much from what we know. hence contemporary weapons and diseases and probably the only sci-fi shows i've seen to feature toilets.

Not the only one! Firefly showed a toilet too

On a totally unrelated note, a cool little thing happened to me today. Donnelly Rhodes (Doc Cottle) Came into my place of work! It was pretty cool to see him. I felt like yelling "Yo Cottle!" But I controlled myself

Edited on 05/10/2008 7:24pm

Lei_K

[38]May 10, 2008
    • level: 11
    The way the hybrid is using the word "harbinger", I think she is only indicating that since Kara is leading the human race to Earth this corresponds with her leading a course that will involve a great deal of death. Death and finding Earth always seemed to have walked hand in hand. The apocalypse could also well be an end to the cylons, as has been noted, or of the apocalypse of BOTH cylons and humans and Earth will be populated with human-cylons, the "new generation of God's children."

Anyway, this was a fantastic episode. Every scene rang true. Nothing was off, not a second wasted. Perfect. Definately the best of the 4th season.

123home123

[39]May 10, 2008
    MichaudMR wrote:
    pyrommiv wrote:

This is also one of the few programs that shows just how traumatic getting shot really is. All too often we see someone catching a round and shaking it off like it was nothing more than a scratch.

Sci-fi shows are especially bad about minimizing the effects of battle injuries. The wispy laser beams often used in sci-fi shows only makes the shootouts less exciting and a bit cartoonish at times. That's why I enjoy the detail that only regular real-life weapons are used on this series (guns with bullets, knives, garrote wire, machine guns, grenades, missiles and nuclear bombs). When I watch some other shows or movies, the battles sometimes come across as scenes from a video game.

The casualties among the Cylons in previous seasons had that surreal element because they could always finish off an injured Cylon and resurrect him or her. But now that we're seeing an entire Cylon base ship with no means of resurrecting deceased members, the Cylon scenes are much more powerful. It is finally a life-or-death struggle when they get involved in a shootout or space battle.

The only goof regarding injuries is Anders and his miraculously healed leg. Someone sent this in as a trivia/goof item for the guide. In the Season 3 finale, he was limping around because he had fallen off that ship when he was drunk. He was limping badly in the final scene as he went to pilot a Viper. The Season 4 opener was supposed to take place moments after "Crossroads, Part 2," and yet Anders was no longer limping at all. It's not too big a deal and no one can be perfect but the oversight happened. I guess when you have a year-long break, a couple details like that will get overlooked.