Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Faith" (U.S. air date 5/9/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

Jammet

[61]May 12, 2008
    • level: 10
    hazelnut144 wrote:
    I believe that RDM stated in his podcast that Baltar is NOT Jesus.

He already addressed that?! Whaoa. I did not know about the podcast, but still, that is interesting. Actually, I do believe it is the ship of light because it was strongly hinted at just now. Thouhh I admit that I kind of "wanted to" believe it right from the start. When Kara was swallowed by the vortex. I could not put my finger on it but there was a resemblance to the ship of light in the special effects, that I found myself unable to pinpoint out just by looking at the scene frame by frame.

I'm watching together with a friend, and to my amazement he thought the exact same thing I did, in that very moment.We looked again and again - but only in normal playback we still think it was there.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hazelnut144

[62]May 12, 2008
    • level: 8
    Peter_24601 wrote:

Question regarding the 'missing three' referred to by the hybrid when talking to Kara. Do you think she's referring to the third cylon that has been boxed up for knowing who the five are, or is it a reference to the three models who are missing because they have rebelled against the others? So is prophecy a hint that D'Anna Briers is coming out of the box, or just cute talk for saying that the other three models are the ones who are going to out the five?

Peter

I thought about that when I first heard the hybrid say it. And it could still be possible, easily.
    ***SPOILER***
    Edited on 05/12/2008 9:46pm

123home123

[63]May 12, 2008
    • level: 55
    The missing Three refers to D'Anna Biers' model number. She is Number Three.

I added a spoiler tag to the previous message because not everyone is aware of that casting item. We should always use spoiler tags when mentioning something from a future episode.

If Ronald Moore said that Baltar is not Jesus, then I'm glad he cleared that up. I see Baltar as more of a composite of a lecherous televangelist and a true prophet. He still lives an amoral life at the same time that he preaches about God. Despite his shortcomings, he still seems to hit on some important spiritual matters, including the concept of the afterlife and the boat on the river.

Baltar was willing to sacrifice himself when he was getting beaten up by Connor a couple episodes ago, but otherwise his life doesn't closely parallel that of Jesus.

Another reference I noticed is Laura Roslin and Moses. Like Moses, Roslin is leading her people through the metaphorical desert and wasteland of space. She is dying so it's possible that she won't live to enter the Promised Land, similar to how Moses led his people for 40 years but never entered Israel himself.

copygeek

[64]May 12, 2008
    • level: 13

Jammet wrote:
    hazelnut144 wrote:
    I believe that RDM stated in his podcast that Baltar is NOT Jesus.
    He already addressed that?! Whaoa. I did not know about the podcast, but still, that is interesting. Actually, I do believe it is the ship of light because it was strongly hinted at just now. Thouhh I admit that I kind of "wanted to" believe it right from the start. When Kara was swallowed by the vortex. I could not put my finger on it but there was a resemblance to the ship of light in the special effects, that I found myself unable to pinpoint out just by looking at the scene frame by frame. I'm watching together with a friend, and to my amazement he thought the exact same thing I did, in that very moment.We looked again and again - but only in normal playback we still think it was there.

Also, if you look at that episode, just before Kara's ship explodes, there are lightning strikes that illuminate the clouds. If you look at the clouds frame by frame you can make out the images of two men, to the upper left of the screen, who sort of look like Ronald D. Moore and David Eick. It was kind of freaky when I first noticed that!

adiav

[65]May 13, 2008

That episode was awesome. Great tension, great twists, great action, great philosophical introspection.

I loved that Athena was the one to throw Starbuck in a headlock (and quick, too), and that Kara was the first to rush to Gaeta's aid after Sam shot him. Kara's insistence at putting herself on the line instead of the ship was good, too, and not a moment too soon - though I'm surprised she didn't offer earlier, since she's always been willing to go it alone before. I loved the irony of getting Athena to come along to the baseship as well, saying she needs someone who speaks the Cylon "language", when Sam's going with her anyway. Athena's speech to the 8s was great, about sticking to your guns, and Natalie's execution of the Six was beautiful, especially with the Six knowing it was coming and saying she was glad it would be Natalie who would do it. I'm surprised she didn't snap her neck though, it seemed strange using Sam's gun with his finger still on the trigger to do it. I'm also not sure why he let her near his gun in the first place. Strange behaviour, considering how jumpy he was just moments before. It's also interesting seeing that the Centurions' loyalty lies first to the Hybrid above all Cylon models, and how the "skinjobs" don't seem to have explained to the Centurions what they were doing before they went to disconnect the Hybrid. Now that the Centurions are sentient, you'd feel they would be kept in the loop... yet they shot the 8 who was going to disconnect the Hybrid, but let the humans in the room with it? I find that curious.

Yup, I dug that episode - the first one of this season that I've really felt was worth the wait.

I can't wait till next week for Kara to bring home the baseship and tell Adama, "It followed me home, Bill, can I keep it?"

simulacra-

[66]May 13, 2008
    • level: 5
    Here's a thought about the ongoing debate about the final five, whoever said that the final five were actually cylons?
    The cylons are looking for the missing five in their model numbers, the colonials have a legend of five priests.
    "We're cylons" was the words of the four revealed, but I'm not sure that the term is correct.
    The intriguing part here is that the humans and cylons share those 5 beings.

Which leads me to not being convinced that even the humanoid "cylons" actually are through and through cylons, if they are that would mean that there was a humanoid uprising during the 40 years of peace in the cylon worlds after they were created, unless of course the robotic cylons were conquered, either way we go from a robotic race to humanoid one in 40 years.

ebony_kunoichi

[67]May 13, 2008

sorry to get off topic, but that is a funny picture of a cat, it got me tickled to death!

Edited on 05/13/2008 9:44am

paprika_9

[68]May 13, 2008
    • level: 3

This episode is exactly why I am, and shall remain, this show's b*tch.

Sam shooting Gaeta. Sucked for Gaeta, but he sort of deserved it for being such a smug bastard.

Leoben used to be creepy, but now he's suddenly creepy and hot! Does anyone else want to hump his leg, or is it just me? There just aren't enough scenes with him and Kara.

Speaking of Kara, my beloved Starbuck is back to being crazily awesome, instead of just crazy. I think Sam has taken over as the crazy one in the family.

The scene with the hybrid just totally frakked my mind all the way up. Oh yeah, mind-frakks.......the scene where Natalie shot the other Six. How awesome was that? Great acting all aroung this episode. Colonel Kira and Laura Roslyn were totally tear-jerking. And Bill and Laura at the end were just sweet beyond the telling of it. Old people in bathrobes are sooo cute!

BTW, when the Demetrius jumps back to the fleet with a big honkin' basestar in tow, does anybody think that Adama is going to crap a rock?

hazelnut144

[69]May 13, 2008

Sorry about that 123Home123. I thought that was basically general knowledge.

adiav: I was sooo sure that Natalie was going to snap the Six's neck too. Just because the Sixes all seem, to have this neck snapping obsession. And I love the "Can I keep it?"

Edited on 05/13/2008 2:13pm

adiav

[70]May 14, 2008
    123home123 wrote:

I added a spoiler tag to the previous message because not everyone is aware of that casting item. We should always use spoiler tags when mentioning something from a future episode.

Hey, 123home123, the spoiler tag's not working for me. I mean, it's there, but when I click on it, it doesn't do anything.. it actually looks like the message is in a frame but I don't get any scroll bars to scroll down to, and when I click anywhere in my browser again it goes away.

Seeing as this hasn't happened before, is something new and wacky going on? Either way, could someone please PM me the spoiler that's hidden?

Cheers!

Vincent2013

[71]May 14, 2008
    • level: 7
    you guys do know that the actress who plays roslyn really didnt shave her head right

ebony_kunoichi

[72]May 14, 2008

Wait a minute Paprika_9!!! Gaeta a whiny what? He was just doing his job. It wasn't his fault that the nutso skin job anders got trigger happy over his turtle muffin about to be relieved of duty!

LEAVE GAETA ALONE!!! He has done nothing to you people and all you do is take and take....

Yeah, Leoban is officially hot now. He has been forever, welcome!

mialza

[73]May 14, 2008
    • level: 14
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:

Wait a minute Paprika_9!!! Gaeta a whiny what? He was just doing his job. It wasn't his fault that the nutso skin job anders got trigger happy over his turtle muffin about to be relieved of duty!

LEAVE GAETA ALONE!!! He has done nothing to you people and all you do is take and take....

Yeah, Leoban is officially hot now. He has been forever, welcome!

Honestly, Anders deserves a medal for finally shooting that smug SOB. He's deserved to be shot for years now.

ebony_kunoichi

[74]May 15, 2008

WHAT THE Frakk is wrong with you people!?

Gaeta was helping the human resistence and without him it would have failed!

Gaeta has grown from just a small time office to helping galactica in a major way. He helped problem with the nav computers.

Gaeta maned up and stabbed Baltar and choked him! "take it Baltar, take it!"

And didnt the crew volunteer to go with Kara?? Gaeta is an idealist. How is he smug? I think he is dignified and was just doing what he was told when Anders, who is a cylon remember, shot him in the leg because he has a jones for Kara still. He could have just hit Gaeta. It's not as if Gaeta can fight. Stupid Frakkin toaster, I hate cylons.

Although I think Gaeta might be a cylon, but that's o.k. Lay off!

MajLorne

[75]May 15, 2008
    • level: 21
    hazelnut144 wrote:
    I don't think that the comet necessarily has to be the ship of light. The new series does not always borrow ideas from the old, though I will admit that it often does. I believe that RDM stated in his podcast that Baltar is NOT Jesus.
    Lol, so in that case maybe I should scratch off the idea of Kara being Joan of Arc?

hazelnut144

[76]May 15, 2008

MajLorne wrote:
    Lol, so in that case maybe I should scratch off the idea of Kara being Joan of Arc?

Heh, well you never know. RDM could be lying to all of us. Including the cast. It could just be "killing Starbuck" all over again.

ebony_kunoichi wrote:

Gaeta has grown from just a small time office to helping galactica in a major way. He helped problem with the nav computers.

And didnt the crew volunteer to go with Kara?? Gaeta is an idealist. How is he smug? I think he is dignified and was just doing what he was told when Anders, who is a cylon remember, shot him in the leg because he has a jones for Kara still. He could have just hit Gaeta. It's not as if Gaeta can fight. Stupid Frakkin toaster, I hate cylons.

Yeah Anders is a cylon. But does that make him different than the character he was before? Inside, he is still the same person, he just suddenly discovered a different part of himself. And I have a feeling that if you keep up with this hate of cylons, it might be a somewhat uncomfortable season for you. It's starting to look like at least some of the cylons are going to be on the "good" side, insomuch as there is "good" and "evil in this show.

Although I do agree with you that Gaeta is at least somewhat justified in his actions. At least in that it is consistent with his character. He has been holding a bit of a grudge against Starbuck ever since "Collaborators". A perfectly justified grudge since she tried to kill him. But as to your assertion that the crew volunteered to go with Kara, it is only stated that SOME of the crew volunteered. We do not know whether or not Gaeta is one of them. Due to the aforementioned grudge against Kara, I would guess not.

And shooting Gaeta was really the only option for Anders. He was almost on the other side of the room, and we all saw how well lunging across the room worked when Kara tried it. He also wouldn't have enough time. He also gave him warning. Yes, it was a rather rash action, but in the end, it had the proper effect. And him liking Kara is almost certainly not the only reason he was backing her up. If they allied with the cylons, that would mean they were no longer automatically "the enemy", which apart from saving himself and the other three, would also make him feel more himself. More like he is a decent person in his own right.

PS: Anyone know why when I first post a message it's not inserting spaces between paragraphs even when I put them in the message? I always need to go to "edit" and reinsert them.

Edited on 05/15/2008 2:58pm

Daxx00004

[77]May 15, 2008
    • level: 9
    hazelnut144 wrote:

MajLorne wrote:

Heh, well you never know. RDM could be lying to all of us. Including the cast. It could just be "killing Starbuck" all over again.

ebony_kunoichi wrote:

Yeah Anders is a cylon. But does that make him different than the character he was before? Inside, he is still the same person, he just suddenly discovered a different part of himself. And I have a feeling that if you keep up with this hate of cylons, it might be a somewhat uncomfortable season for you. It's starting to look like at least some of the cylons are going to be on the "good" side, insomuch as there is "good" and "evil in this show.

Although I do agree with you that Gaeta is at least somewhat justified in his actions. At least in that it is consistent with his character. He has been holding a bit of a grudge against Starbuck ever since "Collaborators". A perfectly justified grudge since she tried to kill him. But as to your assertion that the crew volunteered to go with Kara, it is only stated that SOME of the crew volunteered. We do not know whether or not Gaeta is one of them. Due to the aforementioned grudge against Kara, I would guess not.

And shooting Gaeta was really the only option for Anders. He was almost on the other side of the room, and we all saw how well lunging across the room worked when Kara tried it. He also wouldn't have enough time. He also gave him warning. Yes, it was a rather rash action, but in the end, it had the proper effect. And him liking Kara is almost certainly not the only reason he was backing her up. If they allied with the cylons, that would mean they were no longer automatically "the enemy", which apart from saving himself and the other three, would also make him feel more himself. More like he is a decent person in his own right.

PS: Anyone know why when I first post a message it's not inserting spaces between paragraphs even when I put them in the message? I always need to go to "edit" and reinsert them.

Do you use Quick Quote or just plain Quote. I have found that the plain Quote behaves better than the quick quote. Same with Quick reply and plain reply.

mialza

[78]May 16, 2008
    • level: 14
    I freely admit how valuable Geata has been to the fleet, especially on New Caprica. The thing is that he strikes me as the kind of guy that if I met him in a bar I would have the uncontrollable urge to punch him in the face after about 10 minutes, even if I knew about all the good things he has done. He just seems like a total a-hole

ebony_kunoichi

[79]May 16, 2008

MIALZA...........................

I was going to ignore your comment! But... I dont know what kind of guys you go have a drink with, but Gaeta seems more like a wine or Whiskey type to me and not some beer swigging, fighting, card playing raptor pilot. That's the way I like it!

Gaeta does not seem stuck up at all. Just quite, reserved, principled, and once again people he was doing his JOB, just like that Cylon lover Helo told him to do. Finally someone sees that Gaeta has been invaluable to the resistance on New Caprica and on Galactica. He snitch on Roslin when she was riggin the election and again, when most of us couldnt stand that traitor Baltar he stabbed him. I cheered like crazy, totally unexpected.

And...yes I cant stand cylons. I don't trust em. Boomer shoots Adama, Nutty Tory kills Callie, Crazy 6 kills my girl in the last episode, Gaeta gets shot and possibly loses one of his perfect, sexy legs. I was like oh H*** naw. It's on now motherfrakkers!

I can't think of one that I really like. Well there is Leoban, but he is mysterious. Cavil would probably be my favorite cylon because he has the stones to kill those annoying Sharon's and Sixes. I love Saul. i never really liked anders, he does trip of Starbuck and i promise you that if anyone else was captain he wouldn't have shot my Gaeta, but Anders will follow Kara to Earth and back because he loves her. Oh you will pay Anders, mark my words...stupid skin job.

paprika_9

[80]May 16, 2008
    • level: 3
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:

Gaeta maned up and stabbed Baltar and choked him! "take it Baltar, take it!".

That was actually one of Gaeta's cooler moments. But he's still smug and annoying. But nowhere near as smug and annoying as Lee, who we have been mercifully free of for the past 3 episodes. I hope this trend continues.