Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Hero" (spoilers) (11/17/06 episode)

danharr

[41]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 45
    3dot14_basic wrote:
    You know what I like the most about the episode?

Tigh kicking Novocek's butt at hand-to-hand combat!!

Normally (for this season) Tigh is hobbling on a walking stick, but all a sudden he turns Yoda on me, and kicked the guy's butt.

Booya!

That was awesome but didn't he hit the guy from behind first?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vico1

[42]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 1
    I think the main point that this episode was trying to make. And made well in my opinion. Is that things are not always as they may appear to be on the surface. Especially when it comes to war.

There are always secret operations and propaganda. In this case, the side that seemed to have committed a unforgivable preemptive attack. Was actually responding to a secret preemptive attack by the other side.

Historically there have been similar complications in almost every conflict on earth including the one we are involved in now.

Angusto

[43]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 8
    DarqAli wrote:
    Angusto wrote:
    Actually it is a problem because in the opening of the mini-series, Gaeta tells Adama that it "has been a honor and a pleasure serving under you these last 3 years."

So, you assume Gaeta was on Galactica for three years with Adama? Why could Gaeta not have been on Valkyrie prior to Galactica?

Actually, all I meant was that Gaeta should either know about Bulldog or know that Adama went on some secret mission.

3dot14_basic

[44]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 5
    danharr wrote:
    3dot14_basic wrote:
    You know what I like the most about the episode?

Tigh kicking Novocek's butt at hand-to-hand combat!!

Normally (for this season) Tigh is hobbling on a walking stick, but all a sudden he turns Yoda on me, and kicked the guy's butt.

Booya!

That was awesome but didn't he hit the guy from behind first?

Not as I recall, Tigh had a gun pointed at Novocek at the start. Novocek turned knocked the gun out of Tigh's hand with the first blow, when he tried a second blow Tigh got a hold of the pipe and tossed him off to the corner.

3dot14_basic

[45]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 5
    Angusto wrote:

Actually, all I meant was that Gaeta should either know about Bulldog or know that Adama went on some secret mission.

A fair point. But I don't think there was any interaction between Gaeta and Novocek this episode to say anything to the contrary.

vico1

[46]Nov 19, 2006
    My take on the LL deliberate suicide is that she is trying to explore here spirituality by traveling to the state between lifes. This inquiry seems to have been awakened by her experience with Baltar. I see this as a parallel to what happened in the last episode between Athena and Helo. She had the integrity and was willing to sacrifice her entire race to keep her word and was thus being more human than the humans. This forced Helo's hand to prove that there was at least one human who could be as human as the cylon Athena. In the same way Baltar's complete Christlike acceptance of the Cylon’s one true God shook LL's faith in her own race. Here was a human with greater faith than most Cylons –certainly than her. This forced her to examine her own beliefs. The suicide was an attempt to find answers.

On a separate track, has anyone been as annoyed as me that they split the second season DVDs into 2 separate halves 2.0 and 2.5 that each cost as much as a whole season? In my opinion this is a total rip off. Luckily I did not buy them because I just found the set of season one and all of season 2 for 99.00 on this site. http://phrackinc.com

I am glad I waited for this one to come out. I did not see it on Amazon though so I do not know what is up with that.

copygeek

[47]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 13

vico1 wrote:
    My take on the LL deliberate suicide is that she is trying to explore here spirituality by traveling to the state between lifes. This inquiry seems to have been awakened by her experience with Baltar. I see this as a parallel to what happened in the last episode between Athena and Helo. She had the integrity and was willing to sacrifice her entire race to keep her word and was thus being more human than the humans. This forced Helo's hand to prove that there was at least one human who could be as human as the cylon Athena. In the same way Baltar's complete Christlike acceptance of the Cylon’s one true God shook LL's faith in her own race. Here was a human with greater faith than most Cylons –certainly than her. This forced her to examine her own beliefs. The suicide was an attempt to find answers. On a separate track, has anyone been as annoyed as me that they split the second season DVDs into 2 separate halves 2.0 and 2.5 that each cost as much as a whole season? In my opinion this is a total rip off. Luckily I did not buy them because I just found the set of season one and all of season 2 for 99.00 on this site. http://phrackinc.com I am glad I waited for this one to come out. I did not see it on Amazon though so I do not know what is up with that.

The character's name is D'Anna Biers, by the way, or Cylon Model Number 3 (3 for short).

For you to be able to buy all of season one AND season two for $99.00 means it is either used or a bootleg. I'd be very suspicious about it and make sure to ask questions before you spend the money.

123home123

[48]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 55
    Yeah, that site sounds suspicious. How would a low volume site be able to beat Amazon's price by 10%?

Angusto

[49]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 8
    3dot14_basic wrote:
    Angusto wrote:

A fair point. But I don't think there was any interaction between Gaeta and Novocek this episode to say anything to the contrary.

When Bulldog is first mentioned on the CIC no one but Adama seems to know him. Also, several characters on the CIC at the time look at Gaeta to see if he knows who Bullbog is but he just shakes his head and makes a clear non-verbal indication that he doesn't.

DrLar

[50]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 10
    Who wants to be Balthar right now? I mean some torture vs. sleeping with 2 beautiful cylons? and not talking the whole episode? Someone mentioned this earlier, just add boomer to the mix and heck yeah!

BTW Lucy Lawless still has a killer body! I think better when she was Xena..

123home123

[51]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 55
    Jamie Bamber was joking (or maybe not joking) in interviews this summer that all the male actors on the show were jealous of James Callis.

Writer2000

[52]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 17
    I don't have much to say about this episode other than the fact that I really liked this episode, and I especially enjoyed the last scene with Roslin and Adama.

RobinHood70

[53]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 22
    One thing that they never brought up in the episode that I would have liked to have seen is that if Bulldog was captured before the war with the Cylons, he would have no reliable knowledge of the massacre of the 12 colonies. Even if they Cylons told him, he probably wouldn't have had any cause to believe them.

vico1

[54]Nov 21, 2006
    Copygeek,

The set is definately not used and it looks and plays perfectly.   It is not a bootleg as far as I can tell.   Maybe they just make less on it.  I looked on Amazon and they do not even have this set at all.   It might be from another country.   All I know is that I paid less for something I like.

gcswift2

[55]Nov 22, 2006
    • level: 9
    AAAAARRRRRRGGGHH, WTF!!!!!!!!!!! If thery're not going to do commentary just say so and get rid of the message saying it's delayed!!!! It's one of the best parts of the show. Where's my COMMENTARY