Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" (spoilers) (3/6/09)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[1]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 55
    The Galactica continues to deteriorate, perhaps signaling that the ship may need to be abandoned by the end of the series. Adama counsels Helo to give up on Hera, probably since the Colonial fleet has no way to track down Boomer and Cavil. Even if they could find them, the Galactica would be in no shape to put up much of a fight. There's always the rebel Cylon base ship but that might not be enough to handle Cavil's superior forces.

This will be the final episode before the three-part series finale. The finale will be shown over the course of two weeks, one hour on March 13 and two hours on March 20. Sad to see it all winding down for good.
    Edited on 03/09/2009 6:07am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kondix

[2]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 11
    Cant wait for the ending... especially becouse S4 is so incredibly done! Those who have seen the TV Spot know, this is going to get possibly even more darker than most of the epis we had untill now... Cant wait...

my1sunshine

[3]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 12

Wonder what's gonna happen, because Helo will NEVER give up on Hera.. we know that one. Aside from being the most stoic, pricipaled charactar on the show (above Lee, even).. when it comes to Hera.. we've seen him close to using force against Adama and marines to save his unborn child's life, shoot his own wife to get his little girl back. The man has gone through hell, and back since the beginning of the show, and survive against all odds. His wife and little girl mean everything to him.

Anybody notice that no scenes, references, or anything have been made about Laura in previews or summaries for the next show. Since seeing her collapse, and someone finding her, and checking her vitals. People have speculated that she's dead.. but I think this is one plot point I haven't heard much discussion about. I think most fans are shutting up, and holding their breath on this one. I've heard people on other boards saying what a cheat that would be for such a rich character to not have some kind of fanfare. I disagree. We've known this lady was dying since the beginning. She's done everything she could possibly do, squeezing out all her resources till the end.

But one of the things I love about this show is it's realism. If she is dead, the simple.. and sudden way it was carried out on screen would be another spark of realism from Ron and company. No fanfare is needed.. her entire journey through the show has been one long fanfare.

That being said, I doubt she is dead.. because of the opera house angle.

Galactica... I'm sad.. but again.. realism. As Tyrol said.. "the old girl" was 50 years old before the story began.. and just THINK of the pounding taken since the show started. I'm thinking of the exodus from New Caprica alone!

One thing I know for sure.
    ***SPOILER***

Four episodes left. Daybreak is three parts right.. so yeah, it's four.

This is gonna get so good.

Edited on 03/03/2009 7:30pm

psychickiller

[4]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 9
    This is gonna be my last BSG episode for a while... So I hope it'll be good! Might be a month before I get to watch Daybreak.

There's so much left to do and so much to answer... I hope those 4 hours will do, because to be honest the slow pace of the last two episodes started to worry me. I hope we'll have an explosive and emotional ending that will stick to me forever, like very few other shows can.

Hungry_Homer111

[5]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 26

I'm really looking forward to this episode. With the exception of "Deadlock," this half of the season so far has been amazing. I can't think of one other episode that I didn't love, and even with "Deadlock" it wasn't terrible IMO, just not up to my expectations, and a bit off in places, but still good. I can't wait to see where they go from here.

my1sunshine wrote:
    Anybody notice that no scenes, references, or anything have been made about Laura in previews or summaries for the next show. Since seeing her collapse, and someone finding her, and checking her vitals. People have speculated that she's dead.. but I think this is one plot point I haven't heard much discussion about. I think most fans are shutting up, and holding their breath on this one. I've heard people on other boards saying what a cheat that would be for such a rich character to not have some kind of fanfare. I disagree. We've known this lady was dying since the beginning. She's done everything she could possibly do, squeezing out all her resources till the end.

But one of the things I love about this show is it's realism. If she is dead, the simple.. and sudden way it was carried out on screen would be another spark of realism from Ron and company. No fanfare is needed.. her entire journey through the show has been one long fanfare.

That being said, I doubt she is dead.. because of the opera house angle.

I don't think she's dead. Like you said, they have to deal with the visions, so I don't think that her story is done yet. She collapsed right when Boomer left with Hera, so I'm thinking that she'll be unconsious until they catch up with them, and then she'll wake up and play whatever role she'll have to play. Once that happens, she could die for whatever reason (her cancer, her being killed by somebody, something to do with Hera, or whatever).

123home123

[6]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 55
    I added a spoiler tag to one of the posts below because it contained possible (verified) information from future episodes. Be careful not to post such info unless you hide it in a spoiler tag. Thanks.

Yeah, I don't think Roslin would have died like that. They haven't resolved the visions of the opera house yet. Ronald Moore said that all the major storylines would be resolved by the end of the series.

Hoeech

[7]Mar 4, 2009
    • level: 66
    While the storytelling for this season has been superb so far, I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the idea that all of the outstanding story threads (e.g. who is Kara Thrace; Roslin's visions of the Opera House; the Cylon divide; the various visions/prophecies that a host of people seem to be privvy to; the whole "All this has happened before and will happen again" that Leoben has been spouting since season 1) can possibly be tied up with the time remaining. If the series comes to a close with a rushed "Babylon 5 - Season 4" type wrap up, I'm going to be very disappointed. In the meantime, I will put my faith in the writers since they haven't let me down yet (not much, anyways).

BHSWorkstation

[8]Mar 4, 2009
    • level: 4

Hoeech wrote:
    While the storytelling for this season has been superb so far, I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the idea that all of the outstanding story threads (e.g. who is Kara Thrace; Roslin's visions of the Opera House; the Cylon divide; the various visions/prophecies that a host of people seem to be privvy to; the whole "All this has happened before and will happen again" that Leoben has been spouting since season 1) can possibly be tied up with the time remaining. If the series comes to a close with a rushed "Babylon 5 - Season 4" type wrap up, I'm going to be very disappointed. In the meantime, I will put my faith in the writers since they haven't let me down yet (not much, anyways).

I have mixed feelings about it. It certainly is getting late in the game and at this point there have already been a couple of "rushed revelations" episodes (the history of the Final 5 - though I didn't care much for the explanation so I was glad it was over with quickly). On the other hand, it seems to me that the writers have done a pretty good job of beginning to answer the BIG questions. They might not have unwrapped the packages but they certainly have let us shake it a little and listen to what's inside. Starbuck's story is an excellent example. No, they didn't really answer the question in the previous episode but it was very clear set up so that there are two or three obvious outcomes. I think the set-up has been well addressed and the conclusion can be handled logically and quickly. There have been a few mis-steps along the way, but overall I think most of the loose ends have been tightened and I'm hopeful for that it will go well (especially considering the overall strength of the season so far).

dragon755

[9]Mar 5, 2009
    • level: 7
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

Hoeech wrote:

I have mixed feelings about it. It certainly is getting late in the game and at this point there have already been a couple of "rushed revelations" episodes (the history of the Final 5 - though I didn't care much for the explanation so I was glad it was over with quickly). On the other hand, it seems to me that the writers have done a pretty good job of beginning to answer the BIG questions. They might not have unwrapped the packages but they certainly have let us shake it a little and listen to what's inside. Starbuck's story is an excellent example. No, they didn't really answer the question in the previous episode but it was very clear set up so that there are two or three obvious outcomes. I think the set-up has been well addressed and the conclusion can be handled logically and quickly. There have been a few mis-steps along the way, but overall I think most of the loose ends have been tightened and I'm hopeful for that it will go well (especially considering the overall strength of the season so far).

Speaking of starbuck, i read somewhere that slick (the piano player from last episode a.k.a her dad) is back this episode. considering that he was a vision last time, how do we think he will make his apperance. Not too mention Zak Adama....im hoping most of this is wrapped up in this episode. Also considering the title of this episode, could it be possible that Hera's painting is a guide to a planet. she said they were stars and then the whole fact that the 'watchtower' song seems to be a larger part than we realised...

As for the final five, i actually liked that reveal, but i agree that im glad its mostly finished with

zukiki

[10]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 10
    Hoeech wrote:

Also, don't forget that there's still The Plan which is slated for June. Supposidly it'll answer some of the stuff they didn't have time for (or couldn't find the right place for) in the series.

Kondix

[11]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 11
    Well, Moore said that to watch THE PLAN for the first time, it would be best to know the outcome of Daybrake...

antilifecu

[12]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 6
    So far i feel I am wasting my time watching this episode.

mialza

[13]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 14
    The proverbial calm before the storm. And what a storm it will be.

h00plah

[14]Mar 6, 2009

This episode, in my opinion, was absolutely fantastic. Everything is finally set in place for the final revelations that will take place during the next three episodes. It's truly incredible to see how far this show has come throughout these approximately four years. I'm not sad to see this show go, I'm extremely happy - why? Because the show ended when it was supposed to. They didn't decide to spread out through another couple of seasons in hope of pushing things forward a little bit here and there. No, they didn't take their chances and they decided to call it quits after four long seasons. The turnout, couldn't be better. The daybreak trilogy is right around the corner and honestly, I cannot wait.

Long live Battlestar Galactica, this was one of the best episodes in the entire series, hands down.

alllstarz

[15]Mar 6, 2009

I think it is a good transition episode setting up for things to come I.e Hera moving the Battlestar into the basestar ships at the beginging of the episode.

I guess there is recongnition of "angels" the head 6 and whatever kara is and it seems Kara is at peace of it by the end of the episode.

Sam... I have mixed feelings.. is battlestar goign to become the next "hybrid" ship. it seems possible but not plausable.

I tried listening into what he was saying, unless someone has a script there was nothing too revealing.... But what Caprica 6 called Balter out about redemption.. it made me seem back to the original hybrid. one will crawl from the darkness and seek redemption.

It only sees fit that the Battlestar is a metaphor for the ending of the series.. which came to full circle as they panned out during the final scene.

alllstarz

[16]Mar 6, 2009
    it is also sort of werid... if sam can become a "hybrid" does that mean anyone else can too?

h00plah

[17]Mar 6, 2009
    Perhaps only the final five are capable of this. But I assume that all the other cylons are capable of becoming a 'hybrid' either temporarily or permanently.

tguedry82

[18]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 9
    h00plah wrote:

This episode, in my opinion, was absolutely fantastic. Everything is finally set in place for the final revelations that will take place during the next three episodes. It's truly incredible to see how far this show has come throughout these approximately four years. I'm not sad to see this show go, I'm extremely happy - why? Because the show ended when it was supposed to. They didn't decide to spread out through another couple of seasons in hope of pushing things forward a little bit here and there. No, they didn't take their chances and they decided to call it quits after four long seasons. The turnout, couldn't be better. The daybreak trilogy is right around the corner and honestly, I cannot wait.

Long live Battlestar Galactica, this was one of the best episodes in the entire series, hands down.

Totally agree!! To me it wasn't slow, it was emotional the whole time! I know Boomer isn't all bad, but man I can't do anything but hate her right now! I'll post more later after it's been aired everywhere.

hazelnut144

[19]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 8
    Crazy episode. Hera is just very creepy, and I can't decide if she managed to have some sort of effect on Boomer (other than the fact that she reminded Boomer of her projective child) And what did Cavil mean when he said she would soon have more playmates? Hera clones maybe?? Is it possible Cavil figured out resurrection without Ellen?

Roslin's and Adama's getting stoned scene was awesome, and very sad too. Also, did Adama's painting remind anyone of Maelstrom? The Lee and Kara scene was just beautiful and so perfect for the characters. I hope they get a couple more scenes before one or both of them hopefully go out in a blaze of glory, but even if they don't this scene was a perfect goodbye scene. I think that, while Lee has always known that he would be there for her no matter what, that is maybe the first time she's really accepted it.

Her putting a gun to Sam's head was intense, and what he said probably means that she hasn't lead the human race to their end yet. Otherwise there is no reason for him to repeat that. Helo and Athena's scene was horribly depressing, as was seeing Helo so completely broken. The final scene panout on Tigh and Adama was pretty amazing too.

Idbeolderifiwas

[20]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 20
    Yeah that last scene was so simple, but so fantastic. I found myself tearing up as they talked about leaving Galactica.