Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" (spoilers) (3/6/09)

How would you rate this episode?

MajLorne

[21]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 21

my1sunshine, I totally agree with you about the Galactica. Exodus part 2 really stands out as one of the battles that really would've stressed the ship's hull greatly. [When it did a free fall down on the planet and at the last moment jumped out of the atmosphere leaving a massive shockwave above.] Now I must say that scene itself was so fraking awesome to see though and props to the visual effects crews for that.

But not say that was the only damage to the ship, since there must've been lots of nukes that struck the ship itself. I'm just hoping she goes out with a bang bigger than Pegasus [in taking out 2 basestars].

Galactica you served the fleet well, may your last battle be glorious :lifts glass of beer:

Edited on 03/06/2009 10:25pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

martymcflyjb

[22]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 10

It was a good character episode. No huge reveals, but some clues, and some great moments between characters, some long overdue (Baltar and Caprica). I was hoping for a little more revelation but otherwise a very good episode. I feel so awful for Helo and Athena, especially Helo. He's one of my favorite characters.

Where was Tyrol in this episode?

webe123

[23]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 4

If they are going to destroy the Galactica, then they better end the show!

It would not be much of a show if you call it "Battlestar Galactica" and then destroy the Galactica and the crew offloads on a cylon ship! That would be the "Now stupid show they USED to call Battlestar Galactica"!

But if they are running out of ideas for the show, then yes, do like MASH did and end the series on a high note rather than drag it out and let it die a slow, painful death.

I enjoyed the series though I STILL do not think it holds a candle to the original.

Both are different, but I liked the original better, because it was more hopeful , rather than full of death and dread like this series is.

Anyway, if they DO end the series, I hope the Galactica goes out fighting and brings down the "bad" Cylons with her!

Edited on 03/07/2009 6:05am
    Edited 2 total times.

ferretzor

[24]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 12

'Both are different, but I liked the original better, because it was more hopeful'

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but this IMO is one of the reasons the original show was just a silly joke. Most of humanity is wiped out, and you wouldn't even realise it from the way they are acting. It was just a fun, campy show. The new show took the original idea and made it into something actually GOOD. It's so much better than the old show that it's off the scales.

Anyway, I liked the episode. The calm before the storm. It feels like events are being shifted toward the closure they will obviously recieve in the finale. Great character moments with a chance to reflect on what's happened before. A chance to say 'farewell' to our beloved Battlestar

MrBovineOrdure

[25]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 6

There's going to be a twist to Cavil, I just know it. He collaberated with Boomer to rescue Ellen. The whole surgury thing was a hoax. How much of his demetia was a hoax as well?

Will they end up plugging Anders into the computers? That'd be the final act to show Adama's really given up the old girl.

Hmm we saw a very Jupiter like gas giant in this episode... There are other things we see in the scenes from next week and from the "You will know the thruth" materials that really make me think Cavil's in our own "Earth" vicinity,,,,

How about that ship Cavil's in. Very different, very cool!

Gotta watch this one again!

Mr BO

Edited on 03/07/2009 7:39am

hazelnut144

[26]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 8
    webe123: They are ending the show. That's the only reason that they are playing up the death of Galactica. The show is ending when Galactica ends. I'm also just going to second ferretzor on their points.

h00plah

[27]Mar 7, 2009
    I really don't see why this episode got such a low rating. It could be because so many users decide to rate it a 1/10 for some reason, but that doesn't make any sense to me. How can anyone hate this episode? What exactly was wrong with it? Everything is finally in place for one of the biggest finales in TV history, and this was the perfect episode to finalize everything that needed to be done before the final three episodes. It was truly amazing, I just don't understand why some people can't realize this.

antilifecu

[28]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 6
    h00plah wrote:
    I really don't see why this episode got such a low rating. It could be because so many users decide to rate it a 1/10 for some reason, but that doesn't make any sense to me. How can anyone hate this episode? What exactly was wrong with it? Everything is finally in place for one of the biggest finales in TV history, and this was the perfect episode to finalize everything that needed to be done before the final three episodes. It was truly amazing, I just don't understand why some people can't realize this.

I will not speak for every one who gave this episode a low rating, but I think the episode did not gave me anything really new in order, for me as a viewer, to start putting things together. I cannot wait to see how everything is going to end, there are so many questions that need to be answered in only 3 episodes. Well i hope the writers do a good job by answering those questions.

Hungry_Homer111

[29]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 26
    Amazing episode. Did a great job bringing all the characters full circle, bringing all their stories closer together, setting everything up for the final, so now I can very easily say that they will almost definitely be able to bring the show to a satisfying close, and answer all the questions that need to be answered. While there may not have been specific answers to questions, they have definitely started to develop those answers with this one.

For a long time, I've doubted that any show's series finale could ever even come close to MASH's finale. But if there is one show that I can see topping it, it is BSG. I can't wait to see what happens.

tommy0122

[30]Mar 7, 2009
    I don't see why they have to end it. If you look at the rating, BSG is up there. Maybe they are having a hard time holding on to the actors after such a long run. At any rate, I hope they don't end it in such a way that a new series couldn't evolve some time in the future. This one is so much better than the original, so maybe a new series would be even better. Just hopin'............

Hungry_Homer111

[31]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 26
    tommy0122 wrote:
    I don't see why they have to end it. If you look at the rating, BSG is up there. Maybe they are having a hard time holding on to the actors after such a long run. At any rate, I hope they don't end it in such a way that a new series couldn't evolve some time in the future. This one is so much better than the original, so maybe a new series would be even better. Just hopin'............

They're ending it so that they can end it on their own terms, without being canceled, and without it running out of steam. After this half of the season, I can say with 100% certainty, that I completely agree with the decision, even though I really hate to see it go.

From what I've heard, they are going to be ending it in a way that will pretty much completely close everything off for possible future stories for these characters. That is why they are having the new movie being like Razor, as a kind of side-story.

That doesn't neccessarily mean that there won't be anything within the BSG universe. In fact, as I mentioned, they are having a new movie, so there can be new ideas within this story to explore, and they are also having the spin-off series Caprica, which is supposed to be a very different story, which seems like it may appeal to non-BSG fans, but may also deal with some of the ideas developed in BSG, whether vaguely or dirctly, we don't know. And of course, if they can get enough new material for a new show, then there's a possibility that there may be more, but we can't know for sure until it happens. I don't want them to over-do it, but as long as they can keep it fresh, brining in new ideas while keeping what makes this series so great, then I'll be happy.

lunachan01

[32]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 7
    Awesome episode! Very emotional episode. I wonder what Baltar really did find by analyzing death kara's blood. Is she a hybrid or not? Finale starting next week.

ilee1990

[33]Mar 7, 2009

The scene with Adam and Roslyn getting stoned was cliched and irresponsible. The writers know that this show has a following among the younger audience and to glorify drug use, especially as a solution to difficult times, is unethical.

That said, the rest odf the episode was great. I don't think that BSG could ever get a low rating from me. It's a great show and I am sad to see it go. Yes, the original was more hopeful and far less ridden with angst and melodrama--but this remake was a lot more engaging for its realism.

my1sunshine

[34]Mar 7, 2009
    ilee1990 wrote:

The scene with Adam and Roslyn getting stoned was cliched and irresponsible. The writers know that this show has a following among the younger audience and to glorify drug use, especially as a solution to difficult times, is unethical.

I have to respectfully disagree. With all the drugs and influences out there, I think this show should be the least likely to cause an upsurge in drug use. The streets, and a lot of young adults do a good job of that in and of themselves. Bottom line, if the kids are gonna do that, they will. This show will not make any difference in that one way or another.

Besides, alcohol is a drug potentially more damaging, altering, and devistating than MJ any day of th week. The drinking lately of the commander and others has reached all time highs. I would be more concerned about that. I don't see too many joints killing people like drink does. And that's legal!

I just think this kids who would bother to tune in would be smarter, and know better anyway. This show has a pretty smart audience, otherwise, they'd be watching an inferior show!

Anyway.. on to the episode. I agree with everybody else that this is a perfect beginning of the end. The perfect storm IS coming, and we're all about to be blown away in spades.

The richnes of this show, and the characters just blows me away, especially the Cylons. Caprica Six is the Six who was on Caprica with Baltar for two years before the attack. I love her line.. "You haven't changed, Gaius..not really. I have". Likewise.. Boomer. This is the same Boomer that was our friend at the start of the show. Look where we are now.

So much story, so many twists and turns.. so much character development. Usually, when a show throws this much into the plot, it collapses under it's own weight, and never comes closes to fulfilling it's promise.. (I'm thinking X-Files). No such problem with BSG. There are so many story elements, character spins, and mysteries that have all led, or are going SOMEWHERE. There is a point to all this, and our patience and faith is about to pay off in spades.

I have NEVER enjoyed a show this much, nor delved so gleefully, and without remorse into a fully fictional world, and it's people in my life.. even in my well-stocked childhood fantasy wonderlands.

hazelnut144

[35]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 8
    I'm going to agree with my1sunshine. This just has so many plot elements that have been set up perfectly, and next episode, I feel that they are all just going to perfectly cascade into place. It is going to be amazing. I am almost considering taping the episode and waiting a week to watch it, then watching all three in one go.

danharr

[36]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 45
    Decent episode not my favorite and really slow but ok gave me the feeling that everyone was saying goodbye to each other had that kind of vibe but Starbuck being outed as back from the dead was great can't wait to find out what she really is.

nero1234

[37]Mar 7, 2009
    Did anyone notice the Cylon fighters next to where Boomers raptor landed in the colony looked like the old style, like from the original series and Razor.

BHSWorkstation

[38]Mar 7, 2009

NOTHING HAPPENED!

Yes, "nothing" happened and I am one quite glad because when "nothing" happens, that means a lot of time was spent on the characters. I did not find it nearly as exciting or memorable as the previous episode, but I am glad that it was done. The great thing about "BSG" has always been that it shows the effects of events on the characters. I noticed this from season 1 when Starbuck hurt her leg. It took her most of the season to recover unlike most shows where someone is shot in the chest and is up and running by the end of the episode. It creates a sense of consequences and danger which heightens the emotional attachment to the characters. So I for one am glad they spend time doing that because when everyone (except Athena and Hera) dies next week, I'll have good reason to cry like a 42 year old, 247 pound baby. That said, I also love it when things get blowed up real good (the New Caprica rescue was one of the most exciting shows I've ever seen) so I'm ready for the finale!

As far as the drug AND alcohol AND tobacco use, I am afraid I have to lean towards those who are disappointed by it. Yes, most "BSG" users are ging to be smart enough to take it for what it is and not model their lives on a show. And yes, a lot of others shows have the demographic already accounted for and will be much more influential. Furthermore, it is a part of life and showing that is one of the strong suits of "BSG." That said, I would like to see a more balanced portrayal since it is such a PROMINENT part of the show. I don't ask for much, but it would be a worthwhile acknowledgement to let Doc Cottle get lung cancer.

I also have to comment on the resurrgence of the "Old" vs. "New" "BSG" debate. I have a soft spot in my heart for the original, but no doubt about it, the "New" kicks the holy fegelcarb out of the "Old" - So say almost us all! Of course I have long been a proponent of putting a tribute on the final DVD release. I'm thinking let Kevin Smith finally direct his episode featuring the new cast in the format of "Galacitca 1980" as a DVD only exclusive.

BHSWorkstation

[39]Mar 7, 2009

NOTHING HAPPENED!

Yes, "nothing" happened and I am one quite glad because when "nothing" happens, that means a lot of time was spent on the characters. I did not find it nearly as exciting or memorable as the previous episode, but I am glad that it was done. The great thing about "BSG" has always been that it shows the effects of events on the characters. I noticed this from season 1 when Starbuck hurt her leg. It took her most of the season to recover unlike most shows where someone is shot in the chest and is up and running by the end of the episode. It creates a sense of consequences and danger which heightens the emotional attachment to the characters. So I for one am glad they spend time doing that because when everyone (except Athena and Hera) dies next week, I'll have good reason to cry like a 42 year old, 247 pound baby. That said, I also love it when things get blowed up real good (the New Caprica rescue was one of the most exciting shows I've ever seen) so I'm ready for the finale!

As far as the drug AND alcohol AND tobacco use, I am afraid I have to lean towards those who are disappointed by it. Yes, most "BSG" users are ging to be smart enough to take it for what it is and not model their lives on a show. And yes, a lot of others shows have the demographic already accounted for and will be much more influential. Furthermore, it is a part of life and showing that is one of the strong suits of "BSG." That said, I would like to see a more balanced portrayal since it is such a PROMINENT part of the show. I don't ask for much, but it would be a worthwhile acknowledgement to let Doc Cottle get lung cancer.

I also have to comment on the resurrgence of the "Old" vs. "New" "BSG" debate. I have a soft spot in my heart for the original, but no doubt about it, the "New" kicks the holy fegelcarb out of the "Old" - So say almost us all! Of course I have long been a proponent of putting a tribute on the final DVD release. I'm thinking let Kevin Smith finally direct his episode featuring the new cast in the format of "Galacitca 1980" as a DVD only exclusive.

dragon755

[40]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 7
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

I have to say this is one of the reasons i love BSG. No its not something we should be showning in a good light...but their not. They are showing wat happens when people get as depressed as they are. they are showing that it (just adultry, torture, revenge and other trends we as the human race use daily) is not something. it is asking the question why do we humans deserve to survive. BHS i dont direct this next line at you, but for those arent who are being all 'what about the children?' get over it. ur the reason why censorship is so over used these days