Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" (spoilers) (3/6/09)

How would you rate this episode?

jmac4ever

[41]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 5
    This is why children are taking longer and longer to grow up because the shows and movies that are directed towards them are more worried about "upsetting" them then they are about creating thought-provoking material. Look at Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It was a kid's movie to be sure, but it was a kid's movie with serious, adult overtones. So the children that watched it were drawn in by the cartoons and goofyness and were actually forced to advance their thinking once they saw it. We're becoming a society geared towards keeping children thinking like children and you can see the effects of it everywhere.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alllstarz

[42]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 4
    [QUOTE="dragon755"]
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

As far as the drug AND alcohol AND tobacco use, I am afraid I have to lean towards those who are disappointed by it. Yes, most "BSG" users are ging to be smart enough to take it for what it is and not model their lives on a show. And yes, a lot of others shows have the demographic already accounted for and will be much more influential. Furthermore, it is a part of life and showing that is one of the strong suits of "BSG." That said, I would like to see a more balanced portrayal since it is such a PROMINENT part of the show. I don't ask for much, but it would be a worthwhile acknowledgement to let Doc Cottle get lung cancer.

I can't speak for everyone but it seems that drug useage is more highly politicalized in the United States then in Canada.

Most individuals will take it as it is, the show always pushes limits its what we have come to expected and learned to love.

Also the show is on at 10pm on a friday... its not like many "kids" will be up watchign this show or fully understand the subtle context.

Its unlike any show on MTV where the blanently flaunt stuff with a sureal materialistic lifestyle which people think is real or tv shows like COPS were they show

crack pipes, crack, drugs people on drugs, as well as "lady of the night" characters where the who existance of these shows is related around drugs, sex, partying.

But do what you gotta do

tommy0122

[43]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 12
    [QUOTE="dragon755"]
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

......... but for those arent who are being all 'what about the children?' get over it. ur the reason why censorship is so over used these days

Ditto!

hazelnut144

[44]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 8
    I'll third that. Honestly, I think we are just overprotecting kids, and sheltering them a bit too much. The amazing thing about this show is the realism in terms of where humans would go if the entire world went to hell. Back on the topic which this thread is actually for, a friend just rewatched and reminded me of something I had forgotten. When the eight is dying and talking to Tigh, she says "There's too much confusion" Anyone else going to be looking for more "All Along the Watchtower" lyrics in the finale? I didn't hear any others in that episode, but I may have missed them.

ilee1990

[45]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 10
    dragon755 wrote:

I have to say this is one of the reasons i love BSG. No its not something we should be showning in a good light...but their not. They are showing wat happens when people get as depressed as they are. they are showing that it (just adultry, torture, revenge and other trends we as the human race use daily) is not something. it is asking the question why do we humans deserve to survive. BHS i dont direct this next line at you, but for those arent who are being all 'what about the children?' get over it. ur the reason why censorship is so over used these days

Have you heard of spell check? Hard to understand anything you have to stay.But I get the idea. You are among the intolerent tolerent in society. You are fine with other people's opinions as long as you agree with them.

scififan12921

[46]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 6
    I enjoyed this episode because of the focus on characters. The stage has been set for a great finale. As for comments about the drug use in the show, having a teen at home I don't think it's up to tv to teach her the right choices, it's up to me. BSG has portrayed humanity in all it's flaw and glory realistically so far so why change what works now?

borgsyd

[47]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 2

This is my first time posting on a bsg forum. This is my favourite show.

I was just wondering if anyone thought that starbuck is daniel and is also the mastermind of the rebel cylons. Since she is the harbringer of death.

any thoughts?

tguedry82

[48]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 9

scififan12921 wrote:
    I enjoyed this episode because of the focus on characters. The stage has been set for a great finale. As for comments about the drug use in the show, having a teen at home I don't think it's up to tv to teach her the right choices, it's up to me. BSG has portrayed humanity in all it's flaw and glory realistically so far so why change what works now?

I completely agree! From the beginning, this show has never appeared to be geared to the younger generation, especially kids that are of age to be influenced by tv giving them peer pressure to do drugs. If your child/teenager is watching this show, I would hope that you as a parent are doing the job you are suppose to be doing as a parent, and teaching them right from wrong rather than relying on tv to do so. That goes for all parents, and not anyone in particular on this board.

Besides that obvious statement I also agree this show is just trying to show real life in the face of these situations they find themselves in. That's only what, the 2nd time we've ever seen them smoke it on the show, and both times, it came from a woman who has cancer...give them a break! Personally I'd never touch the stuff, and I can't stand movies that actually center around it's use for comedy, but the few times they've used it on the show haven't not offended me. Nor does all the drinking, like everyone else said...it's just the reality of the affects of the tragedy that has surrounded them for so long. Those scenes don't sit on my mind long enough to take any of the genius of what BSG is away!

skatealex2

[49]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 2
    Marijuana is safer than alcohol, other than the fact that is illegal. This show has always had a lot of drinking in it, so I don't see the big deal about showing someone with cancer smoking medical marijuana. Also keep in mind marijuana is the most widely used drugs, kids are bound to hear about it at somepoint, but BSG isn't a kids show. This season has had some very dark moments that are way worse than a little harmless drug use

dudius399

[50]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 11
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

As far as the drug AND alcohol AND tobacco use, I am afraid I have to lean towards those who are disappointed by it. Yes, most "BSG" users are ging to be smart enough to take it for what it is and not model their lives on a show. And yes, a lot of others shows have the demographic already accounted for and will be much more influential. Furthermore, it is a part of life and showing that is one of the strong suits of "BSG." That said, I would like to see a more balanced portrayal since it is such a PROMINENT part of the show. I don't ask for much, but it would be a worthwhile acknowledgement to let Doc Cottle get lung cancer.

Yeah, that makes sense ...

You do realise the vast majority of people who smoke DON'T get lung cancer, don't you?

Sigh.

Edited on 03/08/2009 9:01pm

macjay33

[52]Mar 8, 2009
    borgsyd wrote:

This is my first time posting on a bsg forum. This is my favourite show.

I was just wondering if anyone thought that starbuck is daniel and is also the mastermind of the rebel cylons. Since she is the harbringer of death.

any thoughts?

She seemed to pick up flying a Cylon ship pretty quick in an earlier season. I think as far as Kara is concerned she is more than meets the eye.

slowblink

[53]Mar 8, 2009
    After Hera was playing with the toys at the start of the episode, it is fairly clear to me that BSG is going to used in a ram raid of a base ship.

Wondering where Hera has been taken to now.

As for the substance abuse, I don't beleive they called it maryjane, it could have been anything, maybe even a good cigar shared. Drug use was implied. The "whiskey"? It is ambrosia, and it may not even be distilled. Again it is implied.

I think it would be unreasonable for humans to live in constant fear for their lives, witnessing constant human atrocities without resorting to some for of substance abuse.

We can bleach it, and sanitise it, and do what you want with it, but our kids will one day have to walk out the front door and face these things all for themselves, make the decisions for themselves, all without the benefit of adults around to make it all better.

BHSWorkstation

[54]Mar 8, 2009
    dudius399 wrote:
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

Yeah, that makes sense ...

You do realise the vast majority of people who smoke DON'T get lung cancer, don't you?

Sigh.

First of all, I was trying to acknowledge that I like the fact that the show depicts realistic behaviour in a believable and well-balanced fashion. In fact, "BSG" has done a better job of portraying social and political issues from both conservative and liberal viewpoints in recent memory. That, then, was my only qualm being that the presentation seemed a bit one-sided. With that in mind, I was being a bit facetious about Doc Cottle getting lung cancer. No, I do not know what percentage of smokers actually develop lung cancer but I do know that smoking appears to be the primary causal factor in a vast majority of cases. Here is a statistic from the National Cancer Institute:

"Cigarette smoking causes 87 percent of lung cancer deaths (1). Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in both men and women (3). Smoking is also responsible for most cancers of the larynx, oral cavity and pharynx, esophagus, and bladder. In addition, it is a cause of kidney, pancreatic, cervical, and stomach cancers (2, 4), as well as acute myeloid leukemia (2)."

If you'd like to read a little more, you can visit their website at www.cancer.gov . In the meantime, I wish to stress again that this is really nothing more than a minor sub-topic. Obviously the real reason we're all here is to chat about what a great show "Battlestar Galactica" is. Great drama, great action, fascinating characters and, yes, socially relevant topics that promote a healthy debate. Cheers.

hazelnut144

[55]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 8
    slowblink wrote:
    After Hera was playing with the toys at the start of the episode, it is fairly clear to me that BSG is going to used in a ram raid of a base ship.

I had forgotten about that, but I did always think that Kara (and maybe Lee, although he has the whole rebuilding the Colonial government thing going)would probably go out in some huge blaze of glory. "Big shiny futures are overrated" remember? I can just see them networking the ship in some way that will allow Kara to fly it solo, and have her ram it into a base star or something. I'm betting there will be a lot of things in this episode that mirror the miniseries. Baltar shields Caprica from an explosion?

austinuu

[56]Mar 9, 2009
    Dude, Where's My Spaceship.....sweet....now you tell me what mine says.....awesome.

....opportunities lost.

MrBovineOrdure

[57]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 6
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

Cigarette smoking causes 87 percent of lung cancer deaths ......

Were I to tell you that engaging in a particular behavior resulted in a 100% increase in the likelihood of a premature death, would you be concerned?

What if I went into a little more detail. The above study had 100 people in the study group (Those who engage in the behavior), and 100 people in the control group (Those who did not engage in the behavior).

In the study group, 2 people died prematurely.

In the control group, 1 person died prematurley.

Yes, that's a 100% increase, but the chances of you living a long life declined from 99% to 98%. Are you now as concerned?

This is the problem when you hear about just the increase in probability or the statistics of end results. You get a very bad picture of what's really happening.

Mr BO

Edited on 03/09/2009 4:38am
    Edited 3 total times.

MetaLuna

[58]Mar 9, 2009
    I would absolutely love to get some anecdotes from anyone here who based their decision to use alcohol, tobacco, or any other recreational drug on a TV show they watched. Personally, I felt it was tasteful. They clearly were not regular users, and it was a light-hearted, relaxing moment where they were just enjoying their time together, knowing it may not last. Not abuse, not addiction, not irresponsible. I have 4 kids and would feel perfectly comfortable with them seeing this. Stop trying to do my parenting for me. kthnx.

I felt as though this episode was slow and didn't advance the story in any meaningful fashion. They could have compressed all the relevant bits into about 10 minutes of show. But then again, my husband got all weepy when Tigh and Adama were talking about leaving the ship, so clearly some of y'all are going to enjoy it. We always knew the show would end with the Galactica being destroyed.

Here are the questions this episode could have answered but didn't: Who is Kara's father? What is Kara? What is the relationship between Caprica and Baltar, and why were they in each others' heads, but not any more? Why does Anders get to be a hybrid all of a sudden?

MetaLuna

[59]Mar 9, 2009
    jmac4ever wrote:
    This is why children are taking longer and longer to grow up because the shows and movies that are directed towards them are more worried about "upsetting" them then they are about creating thought-provoking material. Look at Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It was a kid's movie to be sure, but it was a kid's movie with serious, adult overtones. So the children that watched it were drawn in by the cartoons and goofyness and were actually forced to advance their thinking once they saw it. We're becoming a society geared towards keeping children thinking like children and you can see the effects of it everywhere.
    I also wanted to comment that you're absolutely right. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was a great movie. Actually, if you look back, lots of kid movies were far more thought-provoking than the crap they get now. I blame Disney. I make a point of encouraging my kids to watch shows with realistic humanity in them, rather than that Disney tripe. Why do bad guys always have pointy beards and angled eyebrows and dark hair and skin, while the heroes are handsome, blonde and white? Real "bad guys" almost always think they're doing the right thing. God bless BSG for showing how real heroes and villains actually are just people doing what they think is best. (Except Cavil, he's a real douche.)
    Edited on 03/09/2009 4:48am

psychickiller

[60]Mar 9, 2009
    I don't know what about you guys, but watching this show and smoking a joint at the same time is awesome.

/Sarcasm

Not a bad episode, and not a shocking one either. Just the sort of episode we can all enjoy before the finale. It's right behind the corner now...
    The glimpse of the Cylons' home was nice. That will be the setup for the final showdown, I presume?
    Edited on 03/09/2009 11:06am