Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Maelstrom" (3/4/07 episode) (spoilers)

weirdaaron

[21]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 3

smegbasket wrote:

also hoping they renew it- ill be even more gutted if it ends at season 3

They have renewed it for a fouth season, but won't air till early 2008.

Anyway, the people that are saying starbuck will die but kara won't, its a bunch of crap. They are taking a name off lead cast list. I am sorry to burst your bubble and crush your hopes, but that won't be happening.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vinsfins

[22]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 11

so what? that means she's not a main character, not that we'll never ever see her again.  Hey, I'll settle for her being a cylon, she's far too interesting and complex a character to do away with entirely

123home123

[23]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 55
    She could just be disappearing for the rest of the season only to return next year. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

pabycrof

[24]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 7
    I'll put my vote in for some good old fashioned body switching. The most bizarre of circumstances puts Starbuck into someone else's body (best achieved by making this a male somebody), and her original body is lost forever. Groundbreaking event, name removed from cast list, and awkward romantic tension. Hilarity ensues!
    Edited on 03/04/2007 4:16pm

weirdaaron

[25]Mar 4, 2007
    Yea, if they did that i would stop watching. No really, its an interesting idea, but is pretty stupid. I mean how in the heck would they switch bodies in the first place???

jcarver23

[26]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 1
    My guess -

Starbuck will die. However, Leoben, with access to her genetic material and his obsession with her, will be able to resurrect her. Kara wasn't a Cylon before - but she will be one now.

weirdaaron

[27]Mar 4, 2007
    I like that idea. Its actually possible and would make sense. Interesting.

One and a half more hours.

pabycrof

[28]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 7
    weirdaaron wrote:
    Yea, if they did that i would stop watching. No really, its an interesting idea, but is pretty stupid. I mean how in the heck would they switch bodies in the first place???

For one thing, it was a joke.

But perhaps some kind of obsession of Leoben's. Like, he rigs some way for her to resurrect, but it turns out that the only body available is a Doral/Simon/Cavil (Delete Appropriate).

But yes, body switching would be the limit for me too. This is not a sci-fi where that kind of stuff happens. Try Stargate or Farscape.

weirdaaron

[29]Mar 4, 2007
    Well, it was an interesting episode. And I won't tell what happens at this moment for those who have not scene it. What are other peoples opinions on this episode?

Chainblast

[30]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 6
    Excellent episode. The end scene was my favorite by far and was something I wasn't expecting from Adama, at least not the way it was done. Anyway, I don't want to talk details for those who haven't seen the episode yet but I'll just say don't be fooled .This episode wasn't lined as thick with meaning as some in the past. Still I honestly must say I wasn't shocked or surprised in the last with the events that unfolded, I was kind of expecting it.

Nice that Canadians get to watch it at 7pm instead of 10pm. Right after dinner!
    Edited on 03/04/2007 8:06pm
    Edited 2 total times.

zzilly14

[31]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 9
    I'm in shock... I totally didn't see it coming. Her destiny was to die??? Seems pretty bizarre. Killing Starbuck just seems... I dunno, like the show is jumping the shark or something. I'm just bothered by it, I guess. I'll still keep watching the show but I'm just... disturbed. GAHHH I'm so freaked out right now and want to scream. How could they kill STARBUCK????

Amd to agree with what someone else said... that last scene with Adama was moving.  I think he kind of saw Kara as daughter, and now she's gone.  Heartbreaking.
    Edited on 03/04/2007 8:08pm

24Titan

[32]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 13

The question I still have is "What was her destiny?"  Was it to discover that death is not something to run away from, like she had been doing for so long?  Or was it something else?  I can't believe it was to die on some barren rock.

All I know is she's dead.  Katee Sackhoff isn't on the main cast anymore and wrapped shooting with this episode.  She's dead.

Oh, my God.  It just really hit me that she's dead.

Oh, my God.

Edited on 03/04/2007 8:10pm

Najida

[33]Mar 4, 2007
    Well, I just watched the EP, and I came here to see if anyone saw something deep or profound. I'm lost. And usually *I* am the one seeing the deeper meaning in an episode.

Not this time.

Help, somebody.

danharr

[34]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 45
    Well at first I was shocked but we don't know if she is really dead not with the Cyclons and with this being a scifi show she could be back.  I hope it's final I mean she's not the cog that holds this wheel together so I wouldn't be upset if she's gone for good.  I'm a little disappointed that the drawings were all about her death that hurricane thing was so cool I hoped it had more meaning.

jcarver23

[35]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 1
    Wow. So much for that idea.

Oh my god.

zzilly14

[36]Mar 4, 2007
    24Titan wrote:

The question I still have is "What was her destiny?" Was it to discover that death is not something to run away from, like she had been doing for so long? Or was it something else? I can't believe it was to die on some barren rock.

All I know is she's dead. Katee Sackhoff isn't on the main cast anymore and wrapped shooting with this episode. She's dead.

Oh, my God. It just really hit me that she's dead.

Oh, my God.

You make it sound like she's a real person, lol (although I feel the same way about many characters on TV shows... heck I was freaking out if you'll read my earlier reply on this topic!)

Are you serious, she's off the main cast?  Well I guess it's possible she could come back and guest star (for flashbacks... or somehow magically coming back to life but not because she's a Cylon....)

gcswift2

[37]Mar 4, 2007
    I'll be the first to admit I've never been a Starbuck fan, but DAMN she really had me on this one. That was an awesome episode. Whoa, I kept hoping for them to loose their nerve and have her eject or pullup. The "closure" stuff with her mom by the end of the episode was a little bit tedious, and that they never told us what all the drama was about was annoying, but all in all that was a great hour of television.

Dizagaox

[38]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 8
    Apparently a cylon raider flies off after her "death". Anyone confirm this?

Cerrav

[39]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 6
    It seems obvious to me that she'll turn up next season as one of the final five. Who do you think Number 3 was speaking to when she said, "I didn't know" in the temple? KARA!

While we saw her death, there was a re-birth, as symbol.ized by the little statue Starbuck gave Adama.

She'll be 'reborn' in her 'destiny' role as one of the Final Five.
    Edited on 03/04/2007 8:24pm

acsgrlie

[40]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 8

i can't believe they actually frakking killed her off!!!!!!

I hope "the son also rises" clears up what her destiny was bc i'm still lost. and i wanna see Lee fulfill her promise to her and hang her picture next to Kat.