Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Maelstrom" (3/4/07 episode) (spoilers)

mgtsol

[161]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 1
    The trouble with these kind of series, where they have to extend the plot developments and action over 20 episodes, is that many episodes can get kind of stale and boring with not a great deal happening. Most of season 3, for me, has been like that. This was one of those episodes though where you sensed something significant was going to happen, and it did. Whether Starbuck's dead or not (and I think she is - all the people coming up with contrived plotlines that would see her in some way survive that explosion are just grasping for straws, imo) it was at the very least a pretty brave move on the part of the writers and whether I like a character or not, the worst thing for me is just having the show plodding along for episodes at a time so I welcome this.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MaxG452

[162]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 9
    katmom13159 wrote:
    katmom13159 wrote:

Howdy all....I have loved reading your remarks about one of my fav shows....

Looked, but didn't see the heavy raider that was chatted about....my DH keeps wondering why I keep going back and looking....lol

BUT....I was going SLOW through those seconds when Kara's ship was exploding....then went back to JUST BEFORE the ship blew.....Kara was bathed in light...the ship was flying smoothly....unlike Lee, who was bouncing all over the place....

THEN, just before the ship blew, there is a closeup of the cockpit.....NO KARA.....

No clue how to get "screen shots", but someone else with TIVO, maybe you can confirm?

Back to lurker mode.....

Moving this over to the next page.....anyone else see, or actually NOT see, Kara in the cockpit?

I looked too and ur right i didn't see her in the cockpit either. You have to look really quick though so I'm just wondering if maybe she wasn't in there when they filmed it but they never expected us to look close enough to realize it.

ttoupal

[163]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    mgtsol wrote:
    The trouble with these kind of series, where they have to extend the plot developments and action over 20 episodes, is that many episodes can get kind of stale and boring with not a great deal happening. Most of season 3, for me, has been like that. This was one of those episodes though where you sensed something significant was going to happen, and it did. Whether Starbuck's dead or not (and I think she is - all the people coming up with contrived plotlines that would see her in some way survive that explosion are just grasping for straws, imo) it was at the very least a pretty brave move on the part of the writers and whether I like a character or not, the worst thing for me is just having the show plodding along for episodes at a time so I welcome this.
    For me, season three was progressing rather too fast as they had already found an earth beacon early on. I actually think they would have reached earth and wrapped up the show if the show was not renewed for another season. This might explain why the last 5 or so episodes have been human interest stories. I think the writers and producers are doing a great job given the uncertainty they must deal with from year to year.

Chainblast

[164]Mar 11, 2007
    • level: 6
    After watching the episode a couple times and reading viewer reviews and inputs on this site, I'm quite shocked how many people took the episode at face value. There is a lot of deep stuff here guys, and I feel so sorry for those that just do not get it. There are obvious statements, such as "you're free now, free to become who you really are". To become who you really are? What, a dead girl in space crushed to death by the pressure of a gas giant? Sure, it's that straight forward. Kara Thrace and her special destiny was to die in a cloud of gas. [Profanity deleted]

Or how about "I'm here to prepare you to pass through the next door. To discover what hovers in the space between life and death." Wasn't D'Anna trying to do the same thing before the rest of the 7 boxed her? Anyone think there is a connection? Hmmm...maybe Kara has some connection to the final 5?

Do so many people believe the writers would build up Kara and her special destiny over 3 seasons and have it end like this? This is BSG, nothing is ever what it seems. One might think that after 3 seasons people would clue in. Sorry to be such a **** about it, I just felt a need to state the obvious.

PS. Oh and she is in her cockpit. If I could get my screen cap to work I'd post a link.
    Edited on 03/11/2007 10:03pm
    Edited 3 total times.

123home123

[165]Mar 11, 2007
    • level: 55
    Please watch your language. Profanity and insults are not allowed on the forum.
    Edited on 03/11/2007 10:03pm

aluzrin

[166]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 1

I think we will see Kara again in some form. There was to much build up of the great destiny to end her the way they did. The final five theory is interesting, and a possibility. The thoughts of the Leoben in the heavy Raider either for a ressurection or a rescue are interesting possiblities as well. The cloning idea has similar possiblities. I don't like the idea of bringing her back in another body, it seems like a cheesy way to write an actor out of the series. I am really hoping they don't bring the Ship of Lights back. I think that woud be the end of the believability of the series. Speculations aside, I am hoping the rest of this season will be better without her, the love triangles and depression was getting old fast. I am looking forward to seeing how Balter's Trial unfolds. So far this season has been a bit disappointing compared to last. They had ended last season at such a strong point and had so much potential that they only partially capitalised on with the webcasts, and then wrapped up new caprica in 2 episodes, when it could have kept interest for most of the season. 

ScnJedi

[167]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 6

aluzrin wrote:
    then wrapped up new caprica in 2 episodes, when it could have kept interest for most of the season. 

It seems to me like they originally planned to do that, but changed their minds (maybe they thought it wouldn't work or there was studio pressure) and just kept some of the styorylines they were going to use like the love rectangle, the labour dispute. Even the biological weapon could be a New Caprica leftover storyline.

Mangalore

[168]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 7
    aluzrin wrote:
    ... They had ended last season at such a strong poin so much potential that they only partially capitalised on with the webcasts, and then wrapped up new caprica in 2 episodes, when it could have kept interest for most of the season.

They spent 4 episodes on New caprica. I found that a satisfyingly long arc without getting bored.

Season 3 had imo the problem on starting on such a strong note so that the following were bound to feel weak though it was more a return to a more normal pace (and probably preserving the budget here and there)

lopktitanic

[169]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 5

SPOILERS: On the old battlestar galactica there was an episode where everyone thought starbuck was dead but he actually found Earth. I think that's what happened here.