Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Occupation/Precipice" Ep. 3-1.0/3-1.5 (spoilers)

123home123

[1]Sep 27, 2006
    • level: 55
    Well folks, that time has finally arrived. The final countdown to the start of Season Three. It's been a long wait, nearly six months, but at least it's almost over. Occupation and Precipice will be airing together on Friday, October 6th, beginning at 9 pm. Only nine days away!

Ron Moore and co. are calling them episode 1.0 and episode 1.5. Each episode will still be an hour in length (including commercials).

As we've seen in the Web episodes, a resistance movement has begun on New Caprica. The leaders of the Resistance include Saul Tigh and Galen Tyrol. Admiral Adama and Lee Adama fled the Cylon invasion, taking the two battlestars with them. Most of the best Viper pilots were left behind on New Caprica. Adama vows to return to the planet to rescue the survivors despite the lack of key personnel aboard Galactica and Pegasus. D'Anna Biers takes on a larger role in Season Three, which promises to take an extended look at Cylon society.
    Edited on 09/27/2006 4:20am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

trackstarbuck

[2]Sep 29, 2006
    • level: 10
    *cheers* WOOOP! power to the SCI FI GEEKS!

123home123

[3]Sep 30, 2006
    Six more days. Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock....

RS_01

[4]Oct 1, 2006
    • level: 4
    Cant wait!

Light_Destroyer

[5]Oct 4, 2006
    Do you think the ships are going back in the premiere?

123home123

[6]Oct 4, 2006
    RS_01 wrote:
    Cant wait!

You don't have to wait. Check out the new pinned thread on the forum about the First Look.

123home123

[7]Oct 5, 2006
    25 hours to go!

I just got the Season One and Season Two BSG soundtracks in the mail today from Amazon.com. It'll give me something to listen to until tomorrow.
    Edited on 10/05/2006 5:25pm

Cordata

[8]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 11
    After watching the first half hour, I'm not impressed. Hopefully it will get better since it can't get much worse.

v_vasilis

[9]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 2
    Can't watch it as i am @ work... Any more opinions on the first season3 episodes?

123home123

[10]Oct 6, 2006
    They're still going on. Just 15 more minutes though.

Axess68

[11]Oct 6, 2006

MY GOD!!

What an episode!! Two hours of hell. I am completely into this series with both feet, every brain cell, and every fiber of my being!!

They should title this season: The Season Of Despair. That is the dominant feeling I felt while watching the premiere tonight. Dread and despair. Unbelievable.

Incidentally, I felt the same way watching Lost this week as well.

wedgeantilles54

[12]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 12

All i have to say is wow.
    The Premire of Season 3 was awsome, and the ending well wow leaving the fates of several major characters in limbo i thought they only did that in season enders

I have to say the fat apollo is kinda odd but oh well

And how did Jammer survive the explosion at the police graduation

And the preview of the rest of the season well it opens up some interesting possiblities as who is and is not a cylon

quazy_qual

[13]Oct 6, 2006
    Best Premiere this year by far. All shows should go for the whole 2 hour opener shtick.

gcswift2

[14]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 9

Whoa! That was intense. Whats up with that kid and Starbuck? Ellen Tigh and the Reverend? Is Rosalind ok? Is Balthazar a Cylon? Oh yeah, Sharon WTF?!?!?!? IS that kid with starbuck a cylon or 1/2 cylon or human? Damn, I've got so many questions. I dont know where to begin.

Outstanding. This was the best Episode ever. This is why I love sci-fi

gcswift2

[15]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 9
    wedgeantilles54 wrote:

The Premire of Season 3 was awsome, and the ending well wow leaving the fates of several major characters in limbo i thought they only did that in season enders

And the preview of the rest of the season well it opens up some interesting possiblities as who is and is not a cylon

Oh yeah Jammer was a cylon all along, DAMN!!!! I love this show!

24Titan

[16]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 13

Wow.  They really lay on the allegorical stuff in this one.  All of the suicide bombing stuff is filled with parallels to the war in Iraq.  Really makes you question the morality of war in general.  A very interesting viewpoint on the subject.

I guess everyone got married during our little 16-month gap.  Anders married Kara (who's now being "seduced", I guess you could say, by Leoben), Lee married Dee (still don't really like that), Galen married Cally, and Helo married Sharon (definitely in support of that one).  It's a little surprising.

Even more surprising is the commissioning of Sharon into the Colonial Fleet.  I wonder how that will go over with the rest of the population if they ever get back to the Galactica.  Also interesting to see was how open the new crew, I guess you could say, of the Galactica is with Sharon.  She has a bed, a couch, and a coffee table (that yes, is still inside a cell) and she gets visits with Admiral Adama without seventeen guards all pointing machine guns at her.

Best scene of the episode was the signing of the execution order.  Oh, my God.  That scene was beyond insane.  It was so crazy how they were forcing Baltar to sign the document at gunpoint.  Raises my sympathy for Baltar slightly.  Slightly, but not but not by too much.  And Doral shot her in the head!  He just shot her!  It was just crazy.

Overall, a great continuation and definitely not a disappointment after seven months.  But now, who lives and who dies?  I guess we'll find out next week on Galactica.

123home123

[17]Oct 6, 2006
    The preview promo gave away that last part, about who lives and dies. Obviously they aren't going to kill off Roslin, at least not yet, and she showed up in the preview. The signing of the execution order was pretty intense. I too was shocked at Sharon's reinstatement as an officer in the Colonial forces. It's interesting to see after all the turmoil the character faced last season.

Tigh has really gone off the deep end, but I think his character was key to the whole suicide bomber storyline. The great thing about Battlestar Galactica's treatment of current political issues is that it never devolves into one-sided preaching. Moore and Eick have taken on a lot of sensitive subjects but they always come through without looking like ideological hacks for one party or another. At first, we were almost meant to sympathize with the suicide bombers as we saw the desperation of Duck's life after he lost Nora. We saw the injustices visited upon the humans by the Cylon occupiers. And I almost thought, hey, maybe these guys are right. Go Duck!

But then Baltar asked Roslin straight out whether she supported the suicide bombings. Her eyes betrayed her. She couldn't lie to Baltar. She couldn't lie to herself and voice her support of such tactics.

An even more telling scene involved the conversation between Tigh and Tyrol. Tyrol mentioned that the marketplace was getting shut down. He couldn't imagine that even Tigh would have wanted to bomb the marketplace, not with all the innocent parents, children and casual shoppers, humans all. But Tigh said he would have bombed the marketplace. His speech was chilling:

We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Wow! Even Tyrol and Anders, two tough guys, were taken aback by those words.

There was a lot going on throughout, maybe too many stories to keep track of, but I don't know how the writers could have gotten around that. Fat Apollo was a little strange to me too. The Kara story was a little slow. At one point I thought she was actually going to kill Kacey. I'm kind of glad they didn't go down that path. Not something you really want to watch, even in a fictional story.

Tigh has gone into a deep, dark place and I don't think he's going to come out whole. The loss of his eye symbolizes that. If and when the people on New Caprica are rescued, how will people react to Tigh? His personal rage has grown into an uncontrolled killing spree on New Caprica and I'm sure some human will later want personal revenge on Tigh for his atrocities. Though I don't agree with Tigh's tactics, I certainly find him the most intriguing character right now. Great job on the part of Michael Hogan and great storyline. He's a cross between a Hamas leader in the West Bank and Captain Ahab from Moby-Dick. He even looks like a beaten down ship captain with the scruffy beard, the eye patch and the wool knit cap.

Great start to the new season!

quazy_qual

[18]Oct 6, 2006
    Obviously Roslin does NOT die. I doubt Tom Zarek dies either.

WarGrowlmon15

[19]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 8
    wedgeantilles54 wrote:

Well Roslin at least did survive as she's a main charhter and the things for the future episodes showed her in them they never did show who got shot so maybe it was the Cylons... Jammer did help Cally so maybe he alerted the Resistance to the location.... By the way I knew it had to be Gaeta and I was right

trackstarbuck

[20]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 10
    it`s like the holocaust but millions of light years away and OMG IT`S NOT HER CHILD!