Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Revelations" (U.S. air date 6/13/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

  • Avatar of jdbond

    jdbond

    [261]Jun 22, 2008
    • member since: 08/06/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 179
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:

    My feelings are that here's still hope that the group will be able to piece what happened togeather from evidence and hopefully any surviving records that might exist elsewhere.

    Mr BO

    There's still 12th cyclon probably on planet earth willing to tell everything. There is a good chance that he/she helped Kara Thrace in finding earth.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of beowulf314159

    beowulf314159

    [262]Jun 22, 2008
    • member since: 06/21/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 144
    meerkatmadness wrote:
    Ah but wasn't Kara the one that brought the viper to Galactica? And when the hybrid said she'd lead the human race to it's end (or something to that effect) it didn't say "you being a human will kill your entire race"


    Havn't got to the end of the thread yet - so someone may have responded to this already, but ...

    the wording was "you are the harbinger of death. You will lead them to their end".

    I have been working under the assumption that Kara's central role in finding the rebel base star, which took the human/strike force to the resurrection hub to destroy it was the fulfillment of this prophecy.

    Kara Thrace brought death to every individual of the Cylon race, although not to the race itself. She lead them to their end. It isn't the only way to interpret that prophecy, but it is how I read it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of WuKeSong

    WuKeSong

    [263]Jun 22, 2008
    • member since: 06/02/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 30
    I always had a theory about Kara, well, not a theory but more of a speculation about the "hairbinger of death". I don't think the show will turn that way, but still I find the idea appealing : and what if humans did resurrect too ? They may be of cylon descent (from the last cycle) and not even know about it. They think they are mortal... But they actually do resurrect somewhere else, maybe on another planet (earth ? ships of light ?). Even cylons don't know about it (only the 12th knows the whole truth). That would explain Kara's second coming, without her being a cylon...

    By destroying the hub (or something else later on in the show), Kara brought "death" to the whole of mankind. It has a kind of "lost paradise" feel about it : "and so did mankind become mortal"...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [264]Jun 22, 2008
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    Just before the Hybrid in "Razor" told Kendra Shaw that Kara was the harbinger of death, he stated that Kara would lead humanity to its end.

    On a side note, despite the fact that no new episode of BSG aired last week, the show is back up to no. 3 on the TV.com Top Ten List.
    Edited on 06/22/2008 10:20pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kondix

    Kondix

    [265]Jun 23, 2008
    • member since: 03/22/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 245
    WuKeSong if what U are saying is true, this could mean, that there was a real and physical place somewhere, which would be paradise, Eden or heaven. It would be a place so real like our own earth. But by destroying the hub Kara could have closed the gates to this heaven not only for humanity but for Cylons as well.

    This could only be true, if Cylons who download into the hub are beeing ransmitted to new bodies, when humans are beeing upon download transmitted to this special place.

    Maan, so many cool theories are flowting around here. Right now I would not know which one to choose if I was RDM
    I really hope he has some mind breakin finale for us, not only visual but in aspects of teology and philosophy.

    Some how I hope that the end of the show will be also the beginnign of a new cycle, when it starts to "happen again" again.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ebony_kunoichi

    ebony_kunoichi

    [266]Jun 23, 2008
    • member since: 09/04/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,327

    O.k. today is my BIrthday ya'll!! I have been out on sick leave. So here goes:

    I loved this episode it was shocking to see what had become of the earth! That was one of my theories, but at first I thought they just landed in the hood because it didnt look that bad, but then they showed more and I was like holy frakking crap, what did we do to ourselves?

    For some reason I think that there are still humans on the planet, but maybe in certain areas.

    Did anyone notice the exchange between D and Gaeta?? I was like, yes! She looked at him so sweetly. I have always been a shipper of those two.

    I don't think Roslin is the last Cylon now. I'm not sure who it is, but i still suspect that it is someone dead.

    I cant wait for the last episode of this series. I dont want it to go away so bad!!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of my1sunshine

    my1sunshine

    [267]Jun 23, 2008
    • member since: 09/15/07
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 349
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:

    O.k. today is my BIrthday ya'll!!

    Did anyone notice the exchange between D and Gaeta?? I was like, yes! She looked at him so sweetly. I have always been a shipper of those two.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Yeah, I've always thought they would make a great couple.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hoeech

    Hoeech

    [269]Jun 24, 2008
    • member since: 03/27/04
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 928
    ZakParker wrote:

    You know what I thought: I thought they actually revealed the final cylon. It was the VIPER - a machine. So maybe there is no fifth SuperCylon!

    As for the next season, I guess they will find out that the original toaster cylons destroyed earth before they created the more human cylons.

    But than again - who knows?! Great Episode!



    Interesting, but no. The 12 are all humanoid models. Otherwise the raiders, the centurions and the hybrids would be among the 12 as well and then we'd be overcrowded. Since D'Anna has seen the faces of all of the final 5 and was able to pick out Tori, Tigh, Tyrol and Anders from the Galactica crew, we can assume with some measure of safety that the last Cylon is not one of the current cast. We'll just have to wait and see who it is.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DarthUltima

    DarthUltima

    [270]Jun 26, 2008
    • member since: 09/03/03
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 58

    What a fantastic finale. I know a lot of people are making fun of the very Planet of the Apes-esque ending, but I thought it was totally cool. And the ending took me by COMPLETE surprise I never saw that comming! It was a very, very well done episode (though the pacing was a little wierd)

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wrathloki

    wrathloki

    [271]Jun 27, 2008
    • member since: 02/20/04
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 13
    Stryker521 wrote:

    OMFG, BEST EPISODE EVER!!!!

    To those who say it is not Earth, it is.

    Season 2 episode 7, Home Part II, in the Tomb of Athena where we're shown the 12 Zodiac constellations which we can see in our skies and are co-incidentally 12 in total thus reflecting the 12 colonies as described below:

    Lee Adama: This is the map. This is the map to Earth.

    Admiral Adama: Maybe...so is Earth in one of these constelations?

    Kara Thrace: We're standing on it...we're standing on Earth. The scriptures (of Pythia) say: "That when the 13th tribe landed on Earth, they looked up into the Heavens and they saw their 12 brothers".

    President Rosalyn: Earth is the place...where you can look up in the sky, and see the constellation of the 12 colonies.

    The confirmation is made as the fleet jumps into orbit of Earth:

    Diwala: Jump complete.

    Mr. Gaeta: DRADIS is clear.

    Mr. Hoshi: Fleet is checking in.

    Admiral Adama: NAV?

    Mr. Gaeta: Confirming position.

    Admiral Adama: Take your time. Get it right.

    Mr. Hoshi: Fleet all present and accounted for.

    *A moment lingers*

    Mr. Gaeta: Visible constellations are a match.

    *Music starts playing*

    I will however say that the producers have intelligently clouded Earth on every shot and angle we get to view it. No particular continent or recognisable geographic landmarks are visible from orbit, nor is the Moon (an acceptable exception from the picture) but more gravely, there are no sattelites shown.

    And for me, theories abound. People compare ancient times and the present, particularly due to the ruins. The foreground ruins are ancient except the last beam of reinforced concrete, and the background is OBVIOUSLY urban ruins due to the shape of the ruins. No other structure type create such ruins except modern urban buildings.

    In relation to that, I think people forget that when they point out Apollo looking at the Temple of Aurora and comparing its structure to the ruined dome, if you look once more, there are actually modern skyscrapper type buildings on the outer fringes of the Temple complex, looking like those seen in Caprica City.

    Apollo: Atleast the way Pyhtia described it.

    The colour of the background urban ruins and the shape suggest they've all been burned in some way or form.

    Apart from that, the Scrolls of Pythia document the exile and rebirth of humankind from Kobol's 12 tribes who founded the 12 colonies with the 13th then and there journeying to Earth and that was 3,600 years ago in the Colonies' history. On average, that's when the four ancient civilisations of our world came about: Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, Ancient China and the Indus Valley civ. Ya reckon there's a link there?

    Also, the beacon left by the 13th tribe in Season 3, episode 6 which poisoned the whole Cylon basestar which found it, was obviously very mechanical in nature but old and scifi looking different. The humans of Kobol obviously had space faring ships to have done what they did upon exile no matter how bad the technology would've been, but imagine them reaching Earth. No matter the timeline, the 13th tribe would've altered Earth forever prior to the arrival of Galactica's fleet.

    And that was 3,600 years ago in Colonial history. The timeline can obviously be interpreted to be similar to ours but it can very well not be. The 12 colonies has a curious mix of technology typical of alternate history/universe civilisations: glossy futuristic architecture circa 2200 for us, a space faring public but due to their history, that was already achieved more than 3,600 years ago, have SUPER anti-radiation meds which would've practically given the green light for nuclear war if ever Earth had those meds thus making nukes as common here as it is amongst the colonies, have Battlestars up to 2 fraking kilometers long yet they use projectile firearms, mortars and their land vehicles still drive on wheels (remember Kara's Hummer H1 on Caprica?) and still do surgery our present way which is fairly old school, amongst other things.

    So think about it. It IS Earth (due to the astronomical referances) but it is one which has gone through an alternate history. So forget naming a city. I'll be thoroughly shocked if our civilisation hadn't changed one bit or if this isn't Earth.

    Edit: To reinforce that it is Earth, at the end of Season 3, episode 20, you see the galaxy the fleet's in.

    Looks absolutely NOTHING like the MIlky Way galaxy now does it? But yeah, whatever, maybe Canadians are very poor in astronomy

    But then the camera zooms wayyyyy in (and not too far within the same star cluster where the fleet is in) and teases us with this bugger:

    So really...it'd be pretty dang BS if it wasn't Earth lol

    You say the 4 ancient civilizations on earth were 3600 years ago as if they were the first humans or the first civilizations which is completely wrong. New evidence in egypt clearly prove that the sphinx is at least 10,000 years old, new evidence in the gulf of cambay off the coast of india show an underwater city with size and structure rivaling that of rome that is around 30,000 years old, there's also evidence of completely destroyed and abandoned ancient cities in india with skeletons just lying in the streets that have very large radiation signatures, so large that no one is allowed to be there for any amount of time. There's much more evidence to this that just doesn't come to mind right now but it's something they don't teach in school yet due to the majority of academics too afraid to introduce these to the mainstream for fear of ridicule, loss of reputation, or even loss of their jobs. And there have been books and tv specials that used hard science to prove that there wouldn't be any sign of even our current modern civilization (except for the most hardy of stone structures) after around 100,000 years. The earth is a far stranger place than most think, and the evidence is there for those that look, but unfortunately most the world only takes the knowledge that's spoon fed to them to heart. I think it's a good possibility that the writers of the show know about these things and plan to surprise the masses of people who don't know these things with this city being very, very ancient.

    Edited on 06/27/2008 12:27am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of WuKeSong

    WuKeSong

    [272]Jun 29, 2008
    • member since: 06/02/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 30
    " Looks absolutely NOTHING like the MIlky Way galaxy now does it? "

    Wow, you've seen the Milky Way Galaxy, mate ? How did you do that ? Travelled to another galaxy ? Sorry, but NO ONE has never "seen" our Galaxy, simply because we're in it. Astronomes can only build theroretical models of what it MAY look like, but we won't be sure of how the Milky Way looks like from the outside before we get out of the frakkin galaxy itself.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mangalore

    Mangalore

    [273]Jul 16, 2008
    • member since: 03/21/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 236
    I second that the complaint about how the Milky Way looks is unreasonable because all images we have are speculative. Wasn't there a newsflash a few weeks back that astronomers found a new spiral arm that forces them to rethink the underlying structure of our galaxy because it would point to a different kind of spiral galaxy than so far believed?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheNorm

    TheNorm

    [274]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 08/03/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 40
    I thought the episode was incredible. One of the best episodes of the entire series. The last scene was perfect.

    It's hard to say where they will be going with this, but based off of my experiences with other shows, this irradiated earth problem won't be explained in the eleventh episode. I'm thinking it will portray events not happening in the present to build up another explanation.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [275]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    For those who want an inside look at the technical aspects of creating the final scene, check out the blog post at Darth Mojo, which is written by one of the CGI people who work on the show.

    Those of you who are computer programmers will particularly enjoy the blog post. (I'm not a member of this group, by the way.)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ascaffo

    ascaffo

    [276]Aug 4, 2008
    • member since: 07/16/08
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 541

    There has been a lot of great discussion going on here. I have to say that I was not really surprised by the ending. The way BSG tends to reflect what is going on in the world today just led me to wonder where they were going with the whole idea of war (considering where the US is right now.) It appears that the people of earth ended up destroying themselves.

    I have always felt that the creators of this show have wanted to reflect what is happening in the real world in their show. Its almost a political statement. So, as far as messages go- The fleet finding that the people of Earth have destroyed themselves makes sense. That is of course, assuming that is what has happened.

    It all makes for some great drama. I cannot wait to see what they are going to do with it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [277]Dec 3, 2008
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    I'm going to unpin this thread since the discussion has died out five months after the episode first aired. If you are new to the show or you have some new insights or comments, feel free to post in this thread at any time. Just make sure not to post about any Webisodes or Season 4.5 episodes in this thread. Be considerate of those who may not have seen future episodes. At this point, no one has seen the Season 4.5 episodes. But in January, U.S. fans will begin to see those episodes while fans in other countries will have to wait a bit longer. Keep this thread accessible to those fans by keeping out spoilers from later episodes. Thanks.

    If this thread ends up getting buried in the forum index, you can always locate it again by looking at the Index of Discussion Threads. It's one of the pinned threads. Each episode discussion thread is indexed in the form of a hyperlink. To look at a particular episode discussion thread, just click on the hyperlink. It's easy and convenient.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.