TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Revelations" (U.S. air date 6/13/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

weirdaaron

[61]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 3

This has got to be one of the best battlestar galactica episodes EVER! I LOVED this episode, and I have to agree with 123home123, it was quite messed up (but in a good way).

My only complaint was the fact it did seem rushed. It started out really slow, but then suddenly picked up speed x5. I know they had to limit it to an hour however, I would of liked to see a few more things that they made fans assume happened. I would of liked to see different peoples reactions to the final four. Also the last 10 minutes could have been more elaborate. Usually they always take alot of jumps to get places, but they did it all in one, and then suddenly everyone was on earth. I did like how they showed pretty much every main and supporting character at the end, either on earth, or on the galactica. (they also happened to make a strong emphasis on the hybrid(s). I wonder what will happen with them!

This brings me to my next topic, earth. Is it really earth? I have many questionable facts that prove its not or prove that no life exists on earth (or not alot of it). First, in the planet shots it sure didn't look like earth, or at least the earth they showed at the end of season 3. Also, if it was civilized (and in our time or in the future) the ships would have been detected. In which case if they weren't detected everyone is dead (maybe its earth post apocolypse). Plus the final shot of what looked to be a ruined city in the background (and the ruins infront of them) proves that something devistating happened. Right now im pretty sure this is past earth, this is either our time now, or the future.

Considering it is earth, I deffinitaly DEFFINITALY did not see them getting to earth in this episode. I almost think it would of been a bigger cliff hanger if they had left it off when they were either on route to the planet or after just arriving. However, it still left us with MANY questions. I was just dreading the moment the executive producers names flashed onto the screen. Well, I am very satisfied with this episode. Also in the preview it showed starbuck siting next to a fire on 'earth'. So I don't think they will be leaving.

I too was wondering about the coming soon, because soon definitally wouldn't be 2009. (maybe they were giving us false hope) =p

Edited on 06/13/2008 10:26pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

adewusi13

[62]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 6
    This was an awesome cliffhanger. I don't see how anybody would not tune in to see what happens next. There are so many un answered questions. What will happen to the two cylon/human children? This is going to be so cool.

antdude

[63]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 27
    sheli20 wrote:
    I can't wait any longer!!!!
    And I don't know how I'm going to handle a 6 month wait (or more) after this episode!!!!!!
    You can. I can with Lost and 24 which were longer than six months! I'd rather have writers take more time to make better ending to the series than rush!

weirdaaron

[64]Jun 14, 2008
    No you don't understand, they are already filming them, so the scripts are already written. And, the producers said they knew the ending at the beggining of the series, so this isn't one of those cases.

Invader_of_53

[67]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 7
    Hoeech wrote:
    As soon as I saw the fleet approaching Earth, the first thing that went through my mind was "Why are there no orbiting satellites?" and "How can such a huge number of ships just appear in the sky and no nation is reacting?".

I was thinking along the lines of the latter. As the fleet was hovering above, I kept imagining the earthlings being horrified with the possibility that an armada just appeared in orbit.

And I definitely let it sink in that D'Anna stated that the fleet has only four of the Final Five. If true, then that rules out the likes of Starbuck, Lee, Dualla, and Gaeta. But I don't interpret it as it being anyone on the basestar. At least not Baltar, because surely she would not have released him back to Galactica if he were. Me suspects that the last Cylon is on Earth... or perhaps was. Speaking of Earth and trying to noodle what happened, I believe the "all of this has happened before and will happen again" mantra plays its part again. Remember, according to the Hybrid the Final Five come from Earth. I'm telling we're seeing strokes being painted, and the final picture will be a running parallel between Earth's past and what happened to the 12 Colonies. It's all tied together. You'll see.

As for the ending, I really didn't see it coming. I thought we were going to go for another round of "this clue leads to another". I didn't actually think they were going to just up and get to Earth. I love it when a show totally subverts an audience's expectations. I suppose now, the introduction in the credits will have to be changed. I'm even leaning on the idea that they'll change it to reflect the current situation like they did for the New Caprica plotline at the beginning of Season 3.

By the way, anyone care to take a guess as to where everyone is walking around on? It looks kind of unique. The one building looked a little Roman-esque. In fact, the structures in general don't look modern at all. Or am I staring at my own ignorance?

And on a last little note, anyone else spot the cross as Athena and Helo walk by? Barring it as a coincidence of architecture, one has to ponder what the monotheists will come to see this as.

ElmoKajaky

[68]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 8
    It wasn't Earth because they didn't show any Earth continents or landforms in the space shots. In fact, it didn't look like Earth at all from space.

It's probably another pitstop on the path to Earth, but it's not Earth.

pyrommiv

[69]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 11

Overall a very good episode, with some great moments, but a few lingering queries.

First of D'anna reveals there are only 4 cylons in the fleet, but why does no-one think to ask her who and where the final one is, surely see must know. Is this last one the one she talked to back in the Temple of the five? With all the hype around this fact it seems a bit lame to avoid the issue. Personally I don't really care who it is, especially as it now seems possible it could be a brand new character.

It was nice to have everyone back together in this episode, the much maligned Geata, the seemingly pointless Dee, the much missed Anders and Tyrol and even Hot Dog and (tho only in picture form) Kat. Everyones reactions to the fours Revelations were excellent, tho i'm not sure if Baltar really knew, on any level. Tory and Roslin was equally as good as Tigh and Adama and Anders and Starbuck. Sad that there's no one to react to Tyrols revelation...

Now the ending, once they had the direction of earth it all got a little odd. As they discussed making the journey and having succeeded in their quest, my first thoughts were slow down, you're not there yet and don't count your chickens before they hatch. But then hey presto, one jump and they are there, Earth. I had though that there was a limit on how far a ship could travel in one jump. Therefore it would be many jumps and several eps before they would arrive, note Lee says the location "will take some revising as they go". Are we to assume that time has actually passed? and all we see is the last jump, doesn't seem likely. Or does the signal from earth make it possible for them to travel all the way in one jump? or were they just that close anyway? I doubt we'll ever know...

Otherwise, it was nice to see Lee's career change come to a head and Baltar was good in scenes with Roslin and D'anna. As for Earth, i'm not surprised that its apparently uninhabited. Otherwise it would be like Galactica 1980 again, and that was just odd. lots of questions left, could there be some survivors of the 13th fleet, maybe including the final cylon? Guess we have to wait...

Gentoo

[70]Jun 14, 2008
    brain05 wrote:
    But they showed a fraking preview for the next season after the episode ended.

Maybe on the station that carries the show in your area. Not in mine. In mine it faded to black, rolled the credits and started the late night zombie movie.

Darkness1234

[71]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 13

This episode was great, I loved the ending I was on the edge of my seat. I think they landed in San Francisco can anyone confirm this. The fact I got to wait months for the rest of the season is very annoying but I can wait I think they might try and travel back time in the next half of the season.

Anyone else notice the drool that came out of the Admirals mouth and onto Lees hand when he was crying?

Edited on 06/14/2008 3:17am

onaprilthird

[72]Jun 14, 2008
    Darkness1234 wrote:

I think they landed in San Francisco can anyone confirm this.

Looks more like New York to me, that piece of rubble at the end looked like a part of the Brooklyn Bridge.

philosopher76

[74]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 9

starwolf99 wrote:
    All you needed was Adama screaming: "YOU BLEW IT UP! YOU MANIACS!!! DARN YOU!!! DARN YOU ALL TO HECK!!!

You almost expected to see the Statue of Liberty somewhere in the sand.

loosedbow

[75]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 5
    mateo82p wrote:

Yeah, I didn't really get that. I can understand that he would be upset that his best friend is a cylon. I get that. But he acted like they could no longer be friends. Like his friend was dead. I never get how they can be so accepting of Athena, to the point where you forget that she's a cylon until someone mentions it, but when they discover someone else on the fleet is a cylon they have the same reaction as when they first learned about Boomer.

I thought their reactions were pretty perfect. The first few moments of complete disbelief and heartbreak, and then a stoic acceptance. I really enjoyed all those reveals. I was expecting Starbuck to plaster Anders when he stood next to her in the memorial corridor.

The whole episode was magnificent. One of my favorite parts was Lee's "But it doesn't have to happen again." The whole "It's happened before, it's happening again." thing was always extremely grim, and it didn't seem to give you much hope for the future of the characters or humanity. I like that by Lee saying that, it almost makes it the new mantra of the show, by making it seem they all have a little more hope for actually not blowing it again.

I too thought Tigh was going to eat it, the music and the fast-changing scenes had me fooled perfectly. That would have been nuts.

Tori is a complete biznatch, and she better be super dead by the end of the series.

The Earth thing actually took me by surprise. I always assumed it would either be Earth way in our past, way in our future, or there's just no one there/they got the wrong planet. I hadn't thought of us being totally destroyed. It really leaves everything completely open-ended now, and gives the final 11 episodes a very nice length of time to take a breath and tie up everything going on, without having the driving goal being finding Earth (just what to do about it).

I could go on and on talking about this, but I guess I'll spare you all.

prettyedy

[76]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 23
    onaprilthird wrote:
    Darkness1234 wrote:

I think they landed in San Francisco can anyone confirm this.

Looks more like New York to me, that piece of rubble at the end looked like a part of the Brooklyn Bridge.

New York and the Brooklyn Bridge, that is what I think, too.

When they started panning the ruins of earth I said to my husband, "we are going to see the Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand."
    Edited on 06/14/2008 4:02am

prettyedy

[77]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 23
    h00plah wrote:

This thread ruined the entire episode for me, but nonetheless it was simply amazing.

Best episode of the season, one of my all time favorites episodes in the entire series. I'm simply ... speechless after watching the episode. I mean, it would have been twice as better if I would have avoided going in to this thread and watching the promos, but still. It was simply amazing.

So Kara Thrace isn't the final cylon. Neither is anybody else in the fleet, which means that the final cylon is either dead, or on earth. The final scene of this episode was the one that sent shivers down my spine and my jaw was dropped. Is the planet radioactive? That would really, really suck if it actually were.

But seriously: January 09' until the rest of the series continues? That's simply way too long. I have no idea where the show is headed right now, but things are getting so dark, imagine how shocking the series finale is going to be. There are so many questions that have been left unanswered.

Simply amazing.

Again, guys: next time an opportunity arises to see the episode twelve hours before initial airing time, keep spoilers to yourself. Keep reviews to yourselves too, and wait the extra twelve hours to post any type of spoilers, actually: It's 14 hours. You can wait that long to post spoilers, you know what happened, but we don't want to.

If you want to remain spoiler free stay off the forums until a show airs. It is really your own responsibility.

loosedbow

[78]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 5

prettyedy wrote:
    If you want to remain spoiler free stay off the forums until a show airs. It is really your own responsibility.

I completely agree. I have to say though, having seen the episode now, it would have been several times better if I had not seen the preview for it. It gave away a lot.

walmo21

[79]Jun 14, 2008
    I was initially convinced it was earth, and it still maybe. One thing that makes me question whether it is or not is that as i recall, the scriptures say that roslin will never get to see earth, yet there she is with adama on the planet at the end, so does that mean it's not earth?

trip31

[80]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 12
    Invader_of_53 wrote:
    By the way, anyone care to take a guess as to where everyone is walking around on? It looks kind of unique. The one building looked a little Roman-esque. In fact, the structures in general don't look modern at all. Or am I staring at my own ignorance?

Given part of the wreckage was dome shaped I took it as being the remains of the temple Lee looked at in Bill's cabin at the start of the episode.

walmo21 wrote:
    One thing that makes me question whether it is or not is that as i recall, the scriptures say that roslin will never get to see earth, yet there she is with adama on the planet at the end, so does that mean it's not earth?

She would not have made it had the cancer not have gone into remission for over a year, we could assume the usage of hybrid blood scrapped that prophecy.