Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Revelations" (U.S. air date 6/13/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[141]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 55
    [Editor's note: I have deleted the recent message posts that continue to focus on the spoiler policy for this thread. That subject is not on-topic. The occasional side-track post is OK within limits, but there should not be extended discussion of off-topic matters. If anyone has questions about spoiler policy, send me a private message. At this point, it doesn't really matter what the spoiler policy was because the episode has already aired on the Sci Fi Channel.

Bottom line: Any character, scene, phrase, line or plot element from this episode is now on-topic.]
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

my1sunshine

[142]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 12
    Whew! I finally saw this! In my opinion this show can now do no wrong. Moore and company totally threw us a curve ball on this one. Here we were debating about the final Cylon being the big cliffhanger, and they find Earth instead. This episode was intense throughout. From Saul's conversation with Adama, until Kara rushing in to stop Lee... I don't know how much time passed in that sequence, but that had to be the most pulse-pounding moments in the entire series...played to perfection! And yeah, I thought it was a great cliffhanger. Nobody expected that! I'll be darned if that doesn't look like a Brooklyn's eye view of Manhattan. And from the foot of where the bridge would be, the distance and size perspective would be about right..maybe smaller than actuality. Manhattan is quite a small island once you remove most of the skyscapers. It's just that there's a lot crowded onto that small space..but that looks about right. All in all, I am satisfied for now. I take back any previous hostility about the upcoming long wait. I'll wait with glee, and also be looking forward to the webisodes, the movie, and the Caprica pilot. I feel sorry for the people who never gave this show a chance, or those who just don't want to bother. This is the best show to be a fan of!

luvnumbah6

[143]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 6
    This IMO is the best episode of the series!!! How could you not enjoy the painful reaction of the Admiral from the revelation that his best friend and XO was a cylon? How Apollo stepped up to the plate in a really intense moment! I though he was gonna airlock Tigh for sure!!! And in the final scene once I saw the landscape.... my first thoght was that's definately New York and the Brooklyn Bridge... and the ruins of one the building looked like the building that Lee and Kara were discussing in the beginning. I'll definately will wait as long as RDM wants to see the greatest show ever!!! ends

Stryker521

[144]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 1

OMFG, BEST EPISODE EVER!!!!

To those who say it is not Earth, it is.

Season 2 episode 7, Home Part II, in the Tomb of Athena where we're shown the 12 Zodiac constellations which we can see in our skies and are co-incidentally 12 in total thus reflecting the 12 colonies as described below:

Photobucket

Lee Adama: This is the map. This is the map to Earth.

Admiral Adama: Maybe...so is Earth in one of these constelations?

Kara Thrace: We're standing on it...we're standing on Earth. The scriptures (of Pythia) say: "That when the 13th tribe landed on Earth, they looked up into the Heavens and they saw their 12 brothers".

President Rosalyn: Earth is the place...where you can look up in the sky, and see the constellation of the 12 colonies.

The confirmation is made as the fleet jumps into orbit of Earth:

Diwala: Jump complete.

Mr. Gaeta: DRADIS is clear.

Mr. Hoshi: Fleet is checking in.

Admiral Adama: NAV?

Mr. Gaeta: Confirming position.

Admiral Adama: Take your time. Get it right.

Mr. Hoshi: Fleet all present and accounted for.

*A moment lingers*

Mr. Gaeta: Visible constellations are a match.

*Music starts playing*

Photobucket

I will however say that the producers have intelligently clouded Earth on every shot and angle we get to view it. No particular continent or recognisable geographic landmarks are visible from orbit, nor is the Moon (an acceptable exception from the picture) but more gravely, there are no sattelites shown.

And for me, theories abound. People compare ancient times and the present, particularly due to the ruins. The foreground ruins are ancient except the last beam of reinforced concrete, and the background is OBVIOUSLY urban ruins due to the shape of the ruins. No other structure type create such ruins except modern urban buildings.

In relation to that, I think people forget that when they point out Apollo looking at the Temple of Aurora and comparing its structure to the ruined dome, if you look once more, there are actually modern skyscrapper type buildings on the outer fringes of the Temple complex, looking like those seen in Caprica City.

Apollo: Atleast the way Pyhtia described it.

The colour of the background urban ruins and the shape suggest they've all been burned in some way or form.

Apart from that, the Scrolls of Pythia document the exile and rebirth of humankind from Kobol's 12 tribes who founded the 12 colonies with the 13th then and there journeying to Earth and that was 3,600 years ago in the Colonies' history. On average, that's when the four ancient civilisations of our world came about: Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, Ancient China and the Indus Valley civ. Ya reckon there's a link there?

Also, the beacon left by the 13th tribe in Season 3, episode 6 which poisoned the whole Cylon basestar which found it, was obviously very mechanical in nature but old and scifi looking different. The humans of Kobol obviously had space faring ships to have done what they did upon exile no matter how bad the technology would've been, but imagine them reaching Earth. No matter the timeline, the 13th tribe would've altered Earth forever prior to the arrival of Galactica's fleet.

And that was 3,600 years ago in Colonial history. The timeline can obviously be interpreted to be similar to ours but it can very well not be. The 12 colonies has a curious mix of technology typical of alternate history/universe civilisations: glossy futuristic architecture circa 2200 for us, a space faring public but due to their history, that was already achieved more than 3,600 years ago, have SUPER anti-radiation meds which would've practically given the green light for nuclear war if ever Earth had those meds thus making nukes as common here as it is amongst the colonies, have Battlestars up to 2 fraking kilometers long yet they use projectile firearms, mortars and their land vehicles still drive on wheels (remember Kara's Hummer H1 on Caprica?) and still do surgery our present way which is fairly old school, amongst other things.

So think about it. It IS Earth (due to the astronomical referances) but it is one which has gone through an alternate history. So forget naming a city. I'll be thoroughly shocked if our civilisation hadn't changed one bit or if this isn't Earth.

Edit: To reinforce that it is Earth, at the end of Season 3, episode 20, you see the galaxy the fleet's in.

Photobucket

Looks absolutely NOTHING like the MIlky Way galaxy now does it? But yeah, whatever, maybe Canadians are very poor in astronomy

But then the camera zooms wayyyyy in (and not too far within the same star cluster where the fleet is in) and teases us with this bugger:

Photobucket

So really...it'd be pretty dang BS if it wasn't Earth lol

Edited on 06/14/2008 2:19pm
    Edited 5 total times.

QingJao86

[145]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 4
    I am liking the New York theory... the one problem with it is what happened to all of the buildings in the distant skyline, was it just way too foggy or were they even more completely destroyed then the closer buildings. As for the buildings on the island, it doesn't neccessarily make it a distant future type thing. The buildings looke like they are still largely standing (at least the ones that should be) and they look extremely simple to build... sounds like there were (maybe are) survivors looking to build shelters to me. The disater could have just happened months before and in our timeline... that would be interesting to me.

eurokomitet

[146]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 5
    I take back what I said about the ruins looking like Vancouver. There is water on either side of the ruins from the perspective of the beach. I didn't see that at the very end. So it can't be Vancouver.

Billkup

[147]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 7
    earth still seems to be quite heavily radioactive poisoned, this means the catastrophe took place not too long ago (in historical terms). my guess would be 3600 years ;-) you can see a cross made of stone in one shot, im convinced it is our earth, in a distant future.

Lokutes

[150]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 5
    amazing just damn amazing....

one of the best moments was having Pregnant number Six lovingly touching a devestated Tighs arm when theyre on Earth at the end, and the Chief shaking his head and grinning, you could see what he was thinking in his reaction.... great stuff, alot of nice moments...

I think Starbuck underreacted to finding out her husband was a cylon, I expected more of a "Adama" reaction....

nottynotme

[151]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 3
    If you watch the chief closely thruout this episode, especially on wide shots, you will see that grin on his face. I have been wondering if he was having a real good time doing his job, or if the chief was supposed to have that amused semi-crazy expression.
    I am beginning to think it was a combination of both, in interviews he loves his job and Battlestar.

Vincent2013

[152]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 7

Im rewatching the episode and I notice something about the four:

Tori: Fully embracing her cylonness and probably more than the cylons themselves

Tigh: Willing to sacrafice himself to not let the cylons(his own race) get earth

Anders: Seems to still want things to be the same

Tyrol(and the most interesting to me): Seems to have just accepted what he is and is just going with the flow, which is weird to me because it seems like he will snap at any moment

trip31

[153]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 12
    Stryker521 wrote:

Also, the beacon left by the 13th tribe in Season 3, episode 6 which poisoned the whole Cylon basestar which found it, was obviously very mechanical in nature but old and scifi looking different. The humans of Kobol obviously had space faring ships to have done what they did upon exile no matter how bad the technology would've been, but imagine them reaching Earth. No matter the timeline, the 13th tribe would've altered Earth forever prior to the arrival of Galactica's fleet.

I forgot about the probe, all of the skin jobs (now very killable) went down to Earth not realising last time they encountered Earth tech they were flopping around on the deck?!?

hazelnut144

[154]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 8
    Oh wow. Good point. I hadn't thought about that. I guess they should start injecting all the cylons with Hera or something.

SupremeLegate

[155]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 13
    Stryker521 wrote:
    Looks absolutely NOTHING like the MIlky Way galaxy now does it? But yeah, whatever, maybe Canadians are very poor in astronomy

Of course we don't actualy KNOW what the milky way looks like, the only way to truly see what it looks like is from the ourside in.

ISpeakTheTruth

[156]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 33
    OK after a while to think about this they are not on Earth. I don't know what planet they're on but they're not on earth. The reasons are already spelled out for us.

1. The final FIVE will lead them to earth... and uless I miscounted they only had four helping lead them. I say the four lead to the next marker and the last will help more.

2. Roslin's not dead... she's suppose to die before making it to EARTH! And she's still alive and ticking.

3. Starbuck is yet to be the 'harbonger of death' she hasn't lead anyone to their deaths yet at worst she lead Gata to getting his leg shot off.

4. The 'earth' that they found was actually on a star map? Now I'm sorry but I don't think that this show's verison of the Holly Grail would be right their on a map.

5. Because ISpeakTheTruth!

nottynotme

[157]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 3

In the Admiral's cabin Roslin tell's him "I want to see you pick up that first fistful of earth." Later he does and throws it down with apparent discust. After the Admiral tells the fleet they have arrived at earth. There is 4 minutes and 14 seconds lett in the episode. There are 11 words spoken. 10 of them right away. Between father and son Adama. The last word Earth is spoken by Roslin with 1.24 left. I guess we all were left speechless.....

corrected

Edited on 06/14/2008 9:42pm

oldsage

[158]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 9

My computer ate my previous, lengthier post. I shall summarize.

1. Has anyone noticed that there was no space junk in orbit around this Earth? Is that significant?
    2. Did anyone realize that the planets of the Twelve Colonies, recently deserted by the Cylons, now seem to be better places to settle than this version of Earth?
    3. Caprica is prengant with Saul Tigh's child? Why is everyone ignoring that in this episode?!!
    4. I loved the point someone made earlier that Natalie may have been the "dying leader" referred to in the prophecy. That was a brilliant observation, whether it's true or not.
    5. I understand that knowing if the city depicted at the end is significant in placing the point in the timeline, but is there any other significance?
    6. Isn't there a group of really upset Cylons on the other side of the civil war that are going to be wanting some payback in the near future?

Love the episode, love the series. I hate CityTV/SpaceChannel/Rogers for not broadcasting them in high-definition!!!!!!!!!

Chainblast

[159]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 6
    guyroy1971 wrote:

SPOILER

I watched the episode online and it was great, but other than the mystery of who the final cyclon is, the last two episodes really felt like the end of the series. This might have been the emergency end point people were talking about because of the writer's strike. It was a really great episode, but I am wondering what is left to answer other than the last cyclon. Last episode Balter admitted his part in the cyclon attack (finally) Adama and Roslyn admitted they loved each other, and they found what they think is you know what...lol, and the final four admitted what they are, what is there left I wonder?

You're joking right? You don't want to know what happened to Starbuck, why her viper is pristine, what the other cylons are up to, what happened to Earth, who/what is the 13th tribe, what the truth about the opera house is, why Roslyn (prophecized as the dying leader) set foot on Earth, who made/programmed the humanoid cylons, what head-six is (either than an angel of god).. Nope, nothing left to answer at all.

JFLOODBERG

[160]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 1

This is my first time posting on this site, I have enjoyed reading others' reactions to past episodes.

One point that I am surprised not to have seen posted:

Kara mentions to Lee about something Leboen (or whatever his name is) said to her during her time at the "doll house". It was about parents having to die so that their children can become who they are supposed to, blah blah blah. This has significant meaning for Kara, more so than for Lee. Her mother pushing her to be a pilot, the best, better than her. Could her mother not be the 5th cylon? That would make Kara the first hybrid.

On a side note, I think the harbinger of death has been played out in Kara finding the basestar, which directly led to the destruction of the hub, bringing assured/eventual death to the cylon population.