Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - S4 Webisodes: The Face of the Enemy (12/12/08) (spoilers)

123home123

[1]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 55
    Wow, can this be true? A new "episode" discussion thread on the forum? Yes, BSG fans, the Webisodes are coming soon, in just nine days, on Fri., Dec. 12.

Please direct all discussion of the Webisodes to this thread. Since each installment will be relatively short (2 to 3 minutes), we can discuss all of them in a single thread. No need to start up 10 different threads to cover 25 minutes of video time.

Don't post any spoilers until each Webisode has been made available on the official scifi.com/battlestar website. Once the Webisode has been released, anyone may discuss any element, character, scene, phrase, detail, story line, and so on from that Webisode and from previously released Webisodes. Don't post anything from a spoiler site until after that story has been released through official channels (scifi.com and/or Hulu.com, which is a legitimate site co-owned by NBC Universal, the parent company of the Sci Fi Channel).

I don't have any idea about what the Webisodes will cover other than the supposed "intimacy" matter. (I'm not going to discuss that in this thread until it is actually shown on the scifi.com site.) Viewers can expect to see coverage of some of the "minor" characters, the ones that don't always get that much screentime in the regular episodes. This means there probably won't be too much focus on major characters like Kara, Lee, Admiral Adama, Sharon or Helo in the Webisodes. We may not even see most of those characters at all.

I'm anticipating a big uptick in posting activity on the forum once the Webisodes start up. So get your typing fingers warmed up and ready to go. We'll have some new BSG footage to discuss in just over a week. It's not the same as a regular episode but it's far more than we've had in 5 months.

UPDATE 1

The first Webisode is now available, as scheduled, on Fri., Dec. 12, 2008.

The entire Webisode schedule is also posted on the Scifi.com/battlestar site.

Webisode #1 Fri., Dec. 12, 2008
    Webisode #2 Mon., Dec. 15, 2008
    Webisode #3 Wed., Dec. 17, 2008
    Webisode #4 Mon., Dec. 22, 2008
    Webisode #5 Wed., Dec. 24, 2008
    Webisode #6 Mon., Dec. 29, 2008
    Webisode #7 Wed., Dec. 31, 2008
    Webisode #8 Mon., Jan. 5, 2009
    Webisode #9 Wed., Jan. 7, 2009
    Webisode #10 Mon., Jan. 12, 2009

The first regular episode of Season 4.5 will premiere on Fri., Jan. 16, 2009.

Since the Webisodes will probably be limited to U.S. residents at this time, I am writing up detailed recaps of each installment. You can read all of the recaps on the episode guide at this link.
    Edited on 12/12/2008 12:45pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kondix

[2]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 11
    Well... what shall I say... I am frakin excitet and Friday the 12th can't come to fast

scififan12921

[3]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 6
    finally!!! I can't wait.

Marlon1116

[4]Dec 5, 2008
    • level: 5
    Thanks for the info.

aidorrocks

[5]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 10
    i think i may explode with antipation!

if you don't see any more posts by me, you know thats what happened

123home123

[6]Dec 6, 2008
    Exploding is not allowed on this forum... just kidding.

hazelnut144

[7]Dec 7, 2008
    • level: 8
    Finally! Some new material to look forward to!! And once the first webisode comes out it will be just over a month until 4.5 starts. I am beyond excited. The trailer is out there too. It's so hard to avoid watching it, but I am going into the home stretch as spoiler free as possible. I just really hope that scifi doesn't only allow americans to watch the webisodes off their site. That would be supremely annoying. But it's probably likely.

123home123

[8]Dec 7, 2008
    I think it's related to copyright and licensing issues, so the Webisodes will probably be limited to U.S. residents again. I'll write up complete recaps for each Webisode and post them to the episode guide. It's not the same as watching them but at least it will help people keep track of what's going on.

I don't think I've watched any BSG episodes since June or July. I'll have to start up my own BSG marathon via DVD. I don't know if I'll have the time to watch all of the previous seasons in the next month. Here's an estimate of the total time of previous seasons and movies from the DVDs:

Miniseries - 3 hrs.
    Season 1 - 10 hrs.
    Season 2 - 15 hrs. (plus extended version of "Pegasus")
    Season 3 - 15 hrs. (plus extended ver. of "Taking a Break")
    Razor - 1 hr. 30 min.
    Season 4.0 - 7 hrs. 30 min.

That's approximately 52 hrs. of actual episode time (without the commercials from the broadcast versions). Maybe I can try to get through a season each weekend, though I might skip a couple episodes here and there to finish faster. (I wouldn't need to watch all of the "stand-alone" episodes unless they were truly among the very best of the series.)

Don't forget about the BSG recap/review special that will air in January. It seems that it will only air late in the evenings, at 11 pm ET. I don't think it will add anything for long-time fans but it could still be useful as a reminder of the details of the series' mythology.

hazelnut144

[9]Dec 8, 2008
    Yeah I figured that about the copyright. Somewhat annoying. And yeah, I'm planning to rewatch a good chunk of BSG over Christmas. Although I might not be able to watch seasons 1 and 2 because I think my housemate is borrowing them, since it would be nice to have someone to watch with. But I can't wait for January!

123home123

[10]Dec 9, 2008
    Just three more days until the first Webisode. We haven't had any BSG countdowns in a looooooong time.

hazelnut144

[11]Dec 11, 2008
    One day until the first webisode!!!

123home123

[12]Dec 11, 2008
    The webisode should be available sometime today (Friday). I'm too tired to check now. Even if it's available, I'd be too sleepy to get much out of it. I'll wait until tomorrow morning before I check. I think the last time they did this Webisode thing, the videos were released in the afternoons. Or maybe I'm thinking of those "sneak previews" of the full episodes at the beginning of Season 4.0.

psychickiller

[13]Dec 12, 2008
    • level: 9

It says on SciFi that the first webisode will be on at noon EST.

In the meantime there's a 13 mins catch-up on BSG, which was rather amusing

***SPOILER***

Edited on 12/12/2008 12:39am
    Edited 3 total times.

zukiki

[14]Dec 12, 2008
    Any word on who's the writer(s) of the webisodes?

123home123

[15]Dec 12, 2008
    I think Jane Espenson is the writer or co-writer.

123home123

[16]Dec 12, 2008
    The first Webisode is now available. It sets up the Webisode series, indicating a focus on the character of Felix Gaeta. As noted in press articles, Gaeta is revealed to be gay (I guess it's not surprising given his name, which is pronounced as "gay-tuh".) However, they didn't show the advertised "make-out" scene between Gaeta and his "friend", Lt. Hoshi. For that, I'm glad. They got the point across that one of the recurring characters is gay but they don't need to turn the show into a Bravo series.

The website indicates that Grace Park will also be featured in the Web series. She has the primary credit, which reads as follows:

Battlestar Galactica: The Face of the Enemy
    A 10 Part Online Series
    Starring
    Grace Park and Alessandro Juliani

Since this thread is marked "spoilers" and Webisode #1 has now been released on the official scifi.com site, I'm going to post other significant spoilers from the first installment here.

The story picks up after the discovery of the barren Earth that we saw in the last episode of Season 4.0 ("Revelations"). Gaeta and Col. Tigh are in the CIC. Tigh sees that Gaeta hasn't slept in days. He orders Gaeta to take some time off and go to the Zephyr to get drunk and catch up on his sleep.

Gaeta now has an artificial lower leg, a metal rod, not the high-tech artificial limbs shown in the Star Wars movie series. As he leaves the CIC and walks down a corridor, Lt. Hoshi meets up with him and gives him a packet of extra Morpha doses. They kiss briefly and Gaeta goes on his way.

Before he boards the Raptor he meets up with Athena and another copy of Sharon. They have to make an emergency jump while on the way to the Zephyr due to a Cylon attack. They lose contact with the rest of the fleet when they finish their jump.

And that's the end of the first Webisode. It's longer than most of the installments of the previous Web series, 4 min. and 11 sec. Maybe future Webisodes will be shorter.

I guess the main thing that people will talk about is Gaeta's revealed homosexuality and the fact that many of the fleet personnel are still onboard the ships. It's not clear whether Tigh or the others even know what is down there on Earth. I don't think we're going to see Adama, Roslin or most of the other main cast members in the Web series.
    Edited on 12/12/2008 12:46pm

zukiki

[17]Dec 12, 2008

My best guess is that as all the main characters are visiting earth, Cavil's Fleet arrives and they have to jump (ala Lay Down Your Burdens), and have continued to chase them non-stop for the past few days (ala 33). Hence Geata's tiredness and the fact that an incomming cylon fleet seemed old hat to everyone, like they were expecting it.

Also, when that technician used the racial slur towards the cylon's Geata seemed a bit offended...possible clue to the 5th cyclon?

Besides that, not really much else to say about the webisode, as it was mainly set up. It's been my expereance that the fans of BSG are pretty damn mature so I doubt the whole Geata being gay thing needs to be a big issue.

clos_vf

[18]Dec 12, 2008
    • level: 12
    so nothing on if earth was blown up in a war and thats why its messed up or maybe global warming hit earth?

Cant wait to watch the last episodes of season 4. Will be sad its over... Gonna head to scifi.com to see the webisode right now.

123home123

[19]Dec 12, 2008
    I don't think the Cylons were chasing them non-stop. Tigh didn't seem to be fatigued. And he told Gaeta to take a week off and go drinking. That doesn't sound like they are in the middle of a crisis situation.

I added the full Webisode schedule to the first post of the thread. I also included a link to the episode guide where I am going to write up detailed recaps of each Webisode for the benefit of members living outside the U.S. I finished up the recap for Webisode #1.

The Webisodes are a nice appetizer but they are still too short to provide the substance that we're used to with the regular show. There's just not enough time to explore any themes in much depth.

hazelnut144

[20]Dec 12, 2008
    It was just nice to get some BSG again. I'm a little glad they didn't make a huge deal out of Gaeta and Hoshi. It was just normal, not a huge thing. Could anyone see what was on the list at the beginning of the webisode?? When Gaeta was flashbacking?? I couldn't read it.

It seems that so far the alliance is holding. Tigh still has his position, and there are some random Eights walking around on Galactica. Then again who are the cylons that jump in?? I would assume that they are Cavil's, but are they chasing or what? Has most of the fleet left Earth to draw the cylons away or something?? Have they worked out some way of identifying their allies' ships as friendlies??