Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion-"Sine Qua Non" (U.S. air date 5/30/08) (U.S. spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[1]May 27, 2008
    • level: 55
    I've been informed that this episode aired tonight in the UK ahead of the U.S. air date this Friday. I'd ask UK viewers to hold off on revealing any major spoilers from the episode until it airs on the Sci Fi Channel this Friday (at 10 pm ET). Until then, you can post general impressions and vote in the poll. You won't be able to rate the episode on the guide until Friday. There's no way around that. But it's only a 3-day wait until this thread is opened up to all spoilers from the episode.

I didn't add the episode summary because I've been avoiding the promos on the Sci Fi Channel. I'm also typing this out on my smart phone so it's not as easy to look at the episode guide in another tab or window on the phone. I'll edit this post later tonight. Hey, at least I manged to add the poll to the thread.

I'm looking forward to getting back into BSG after taking a week off because of the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
    Edited on 05/27/2008 4:34pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lokutes

[2]May 27, 2008
    • level: 5
    First Impression? not a very good episode, dull boring, I was very dissapointed, the shock moments were not shocking for me they were stupid I thought, when the episode airs in the US ill write more...

One thing especially really annoyed me but ill wait the 3 days to discuss it

andremoo

[3]May 27, 2008
    • level: 6

It's nice to have it first for once!

I think this was an interesting episode but definitely not one of the best.

zerbleflip

[4]May 27, 2008
    • level: 8

123home123 wrote:
    I've been informed that this episode aired tonight in the UK ahead of the U.S. air date this Friday. I'd ask UK viewers to hold off on revealing any major spoilers from the episode until it airs on the Sci Fi Channel this Friday (at 10 pm ET).

Given the UK generally gets the episodes 3 days AFTER the US...would be nice if US readers would extend the same courtesy to UK viewers in not splurging major plot-points to all and sundry until after the UK air-time (Tuesdays, 16:00 EST). But that really is hoping for too much, isn't it....

Edited on 05/27/2008 7:16pm

123home123

[5]May 27, 2008
    • level: 55
    This is a U.S.-based website and a forum for a U.S.-produced show (although filmed in Canada). We can't prohibit all discussion of spoilers to follow the U.K. broadcast schedule.

But I would like to thank our U.K. colleagues for keeping the spoilers out until Friday.
    Edited on 05/27/2008 8:21pm

FeldmanSkitzoid

[7]May 28, 2008
    • level: 10

This episode definitely seemed like it was setting up for the remaining episodes. And actually, to me it felt like there was something off about it, like it was directed or edited by someone who doesn't normally direct/edit the show.

***SPOILER***

sheli20

[8]May 28, 2008
    • level: 8

I hated this episode. I hope this isn't the direction this whole thing is going.

I want a smart resolution for all of this, not some existential banal crap you can see in any other series.

Prodge

[9]May 28, 2008
    • level: 9

This episode was definately substandard.

The weekly political subplot was utterly superfluous this week, as everyone knew were this was heading form scene one. Literally everything that happened here was only intended to stretch the plot.
    ***SPOILER***

Most of the other twists and turns were also unsurprising, and though it will be interesting to see where they are going with some of this in the furture, in the episode itself they had little or no impact.

Only highlight this week were the nicely done scenes between Adama and Tigh, but that was about it. Weakest episode this season.

Rivenhall

[12]May 28, 2008
    • level: 2

I thought it was a decent episode, but could have been done a whole lot better. I liked some of the plot points that came out, even though as somebody else said, we'd seen some of them coming a long way off.

It felt like the ideas were good, but got lost in the translation somewhere. There wasn't much dramatic tension - it was almost like the plot was read to us - this happened, and then that happened, and then somebody got mad, and then this. No real time spent waiting for the drama to play out among the characters. A lot of shouting and political inanities. It's so much better when the story serves the characters rather than the other way around. I always felt this was one of BSG's strengths, but along the line somwhere the writers and directors have lost that.

The best part of the whole storyline was Adama's decision - it was a very human decision, and logically the only course left to him, but his dilemma and the anguish he felt in deciding what to do was well played out.

The Bill and Saul scenes hey that was great! Best scene of the episode.

Couldn't understand the cat either. Or the dog. What the?

Is it me or is Lee getting even more muppety each time I look at him?

Edited on 05/28/2008 2:40am

simulacra-

[13]May 28, 2008
    Hmm, so spoilers are allowed after the US show has aired but not the british, interesting

nottynotme

[14]May 28, 2008
    • level: 3
    simulacra- wrote:
    Hmm, so spoilers are allowed after the US show has aired but not the british, interesting
    My GodS. Stop chokeing your cat for a second and grasp reality, if you post, SPOILERS along with your post, give away the whole plot line. NoOne will care, if you put something interesting in your analysis of the episode, something that even the most die-hard fan misses on the first or second viewing then you will be doing the whole BOARD a favor. I mean this get over who views the episode first. Where starting to sound like OLD married couples who FRAKED first.... PLEASE
    Edited on 05/28/2008 3:25am

Lokutes

[15]May 28, 2008
    Lee is a muppet... The cat...
    ***SPOILER***
    The Tigh - Adama interaction I thought was uncalled for and they are both too old...
    ***SPOILER***

OuttaMyHead08

[16]May 28, 2008
    • level: 1
    Hmmm, definately mixed re actions on this episode. Not as good as the last, some characters I would have liked to who have been in it. Kinda a step down from the massive suspense and pace of the last episode. Overall not a great episode, but looking forward to the next!

Idbeolderifiwas

[17]May 28, 2008
    • level: 20
    I agree that it wasn't up to par with the last episode, but it wasn't all that bad. I would have liked to have seen some of what happened on that Basestar but I know we'll get to it next week. The Adama/Tigh scenes were great and it was good to see Lampkin again.
    ***SPOILER***

stanking

[18]May 28, 2008
    • level: 10
    Has it occurred to anyone that the one to be "revealed" may not yet be born?

Ayn_Ilial

[19]May 28, 2008
    • level: 20

stanking wrote:
    Has it occurred to anyone that the one to be "revealed" may not yet be born?

...or, to go another way, could have "died" already also.

orxis

[20]May 28, 2008
    • level: 6

First impressions:

Boring as hell. Not even bad, or frustrating, or questionable... Just a completely bland, non-episode.

There is practically nothing to spoil or discuss!

Bleh!