Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion-"Sine Qua Non" (U.S. air date 5/30/08) (U.S. spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

hazelnut144

[21]May 28, 2008
    • level: 8
    I actually quite liked it. I mean it was not as good as last week's, but still had some amazing moments. The Adama/Starbuck interaction at the end being one of them. Also had a couple awesome "WHAT THE FRAK" moments. I mean CAPRICA? Lee's part was pretty foreseeable, but it was still nice. And worth it to find out his full name. I think I laughed for a good ten minutes. I will post a more detailed opinion once spoilers are allowed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Coolczycki

[22]May 28, 2008

I sometimes think some of you have lost it. I know it wasn't the best episode ever (and, quite possibly, not even one of the best), but you say "boring", "dull".

Come on, dancing with the stars is boring, the bachelor is dull. I know that BSG has its ups and downs, but I can't say any of the episodes was actually boring (especially compared to other shows).

PS. I liked this episode, but I certainly expect more from last two before hiatus

dkazaz

[23]May 28, 2008
    • level: 1
    I felt much of this episode was going through the motions - most of the developments, you could see from the start and then you went through a build up that was completely predictable - the plot about Apollo was a good case in point, where in the end they actually skipped to the end because I guess the writers could see they were just wasting time - not that I could see a better way to get there...

Someone said above it was as if the plot was being read to us...still a worthwhile episode just below the show's standards.

Mr_Ozzy

[24]May 28, 2008
    • level: 35

Not a great episode for me.

Hated the storyline with Lee, and don't like the result. Also seeing as it was so totally obvious where it was going from the first minute, the fact that they dragged it out for an entire episode for the *non* shock result was irritating. Plus I find all the political stuff pretty boring this season for some reason, but did like it in S1-3. Hmm...

I really don't like the direction things started heading this episode, including whats happening with Tigh and Adama. I'm sure the Adama side will reslove itself shortly, but Tigh's....Ugh.

Hopefully the last couple weeks will change my mind

Edited on 05/28/2008 4:13pm

mialza

[25]May 28, 2008
    • level: 14
    Just because things didn't blow up, it doesn't mean the episode was boring. The only problem was the predictability of Lee's storyline, but Lampkin helped it a little. The Tigh-Adama storyline was great. Not to give anything away, but it is a interesting turn of events for the short term and I doubt it will stay this way for long. I like that Tigh's resolve will truly be tested over the next few episodes considering the changes he is now facing, and we learned a lot about what is going on in the Admiral's head concerning some important relationships.(This spoiler free thing is hard, I'm just glad I found a way to watch it online early.)

HeHateMe5

[26]May 28, 2008
    • level: 3
    I'm betting that Adama finds out who the 5 are before he gets back to the galactica.

123home123

[27]May 28, 2008
    • level: 55
    Only 2 more days until the U.S. airing. Then all spoilers from the episode will be allowed on the thread.

As a continuing reminder, do not discuss any spoilers from the promo for the following episode in this thread. Thanks.

And thanks to everyone for cooperating with the spoiler policy. It really does show that BSG fans are intelligent and thoughtful. I think the next 2 episodes may also air in the UK first. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.) If so, I think we should continue the current policy for the next 2 discussion threads. You can post general impressions of the episode before the U.S. premiere. If you really need to post a specific spoiler, please use the "spoiler" tags as some people have done already. Then other members can choose to read the spoiler or not while still being able to skim through this thread.

Once the episode has aired in the U.S. Eastern Time Zone, then all spoilers from the episode may be discussed in the relevant discussion thread. Fortunately we only have to deal with this policy for two more weeks. (Wait, that means that there are only 2 more episodes this spring. Maybe I should have said "unfortunately"... )

Vincent2013

[28]May 28, 2008
    • level: 7
    Blergh For me to have ruined my weekly line-up it wasnt worth it i mean sure there was one thing that was really good but to watch it early really was not necessary for me

stanking

[29]May 28, 2008
    • level: 10
    Ayn_Ilial wrote:

stanking wrote:
    Has it occurred to anyone that the one to be "revealed" may not yet be born?

...or, to go another way, could have "died" already also.

Well, it has all happened before and will happen again, but I was referring to someone who is pregnant right now...if two models who know how to love conceived, could the result be a new model?

MN0062x

[30]May 29, 2008
    • level: 6

Firstly, TV.com is an international TV website (on the Internet, get it). I will agree that US show, US air date, just am sure the UK air date for Doctor Who is the date you can start blabbing about that episode.

Secondly, OK episode. Not something worth waiting 2 weeks for. You could miss it and get all you need to know from the synopsis at the start of the next episode. Very frustrating as I can't say much. I was glad that one of my predictions was true but I guess others would have got it anyway.

Talk when the media blackout is over

ekleven

[31]May 29, 2008
    • level: 3
    Wy would anyone read the thread if they dont want to know anything about the episode? That is just silly imo.
    Yes the episode was kind of boring. The Lee-plot was predictable ass hell.
    There were no cylon-activity, no Baltar.
    What are we left with? The Adama-Tigh scenes. They were ok i guess.

RRJaden

[33]May 29, 2008
    • level: 1

ekleven wrote:
    Wy would anyone read the thread if they dont want to know anything about the episode? That is just silly imo.
    Yes the episode was kind of boring. The Lee-plot was predictable ass hell.
    There were no cylon-activity, no Baltar.
    What are we left with? The Adama-Tigh scenes. They were ok i guess.

I like Baltar, but he's kind of annoying. It was good to see an episode that changed the pace a little, but was also very relevant. The best description for this episode was "neat".

It was a great episode but for different reasons than other episodes.

As for the Lee sub plot, I thought it was done well considering how inevitable it was, which goes to show that you can make a good story without relying on surprises as long as you do well with the characters. For the first time for me, Lee seemed to fit into his new role.

hazelnut144

[34]May 29, 2008
    RRJaden wrote:

As for the Lee sub plot, I thought it was done well considering how inevitable it was, which goes to show that you can make a good story without relying on surprises as long as you do well with the characters. For the first time for me, Lee seemed to fit into his new role.

I agree with that for sure. Despite the inevitability of that subplot, Lee seems very much in character, and seems to really fit. This is the first time that I admitted that making Lee a politician may not have been a bad idea. Because up until now I really missed him in the cockpit.

Telkiar

[35]May 29, 2008
    stanking wrote:
    Ayn_Ilial wrote:

stanking wrote:
    Has it occurred to anyone that the one to be "revealed" may not yet be born?

...or, to go another way, could have "died" already also.

Well, it has all happened before and will happen again, but I was referring to someone who is pregnant right now...if two models who know how to love conceived, could the result be a new model?

No. 12 models were created. When the 12 were made they didn't go "Let's make 11 adult models and one fetus"
    The final five are not some metaphorical cylons. just...no. I can buy the fifth is dead. Not the fifth was never created. Just no.

zukiki

[36]May 30, 2008

I'm really glad I read this thread first, it lowered my expectations enough, that I was able actually to enjoy it, by laughing at the ridiculousness of it.

At this point, I'm just tried of pointing out all the flaws and bad writing this season has brought. You know what they are, and either you agree or dissagree...so whatever.

Instead I'll continue to wait till the mid-season finale as David and Brad are solid writers who haven't let me down yet. Though so help me, RDM better be writting at least a couple episodes next "season".

natemares

[39]May 30, 2008
    • level: 5

Very Very BORING. I waited 2 weeks for this. Im sorry but Lee as presedent Lee can't handle that he just isn't hard enough he just doesn't have the chops to do what it takes takes like Roslin. I hope she returns befor the break to boot him out and take her rightful place place back because presedent Lee just doesn't fit him its just not his place.

Next looks great thought can't wait hopefully teasers aren't deciving.

Femvamp

[40]May 30, 2008
    • level: 11

Quick question, how can Saul Tigh who is a Cylon get Six preggers? Ok fine I let it go because he is a final fiver and we don't know so much about them. Ought to be interesting though....what is a Final Fiver to do when he gets a skinjob pregnent and suddenly ends up in charge of the fleet.....Poor little robot.

He so needs a drink.

The political stuff has finally gotten interesting. Saw the Lee Adama as President thing coming a mile away but still....

Next week looks like fun.

(Spoiler for next week's episode)
    ***SPOILER***

So are we looking at a fakeout or a double fake out (Final cylon). I'm really hoping its Roslin

[Editor's note: I put the spoiler from the promo in spoiler tags. Not everyone watches the promos.]
    Edited on 06/01/2008 2:17am