Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion-"Sine Qua Non" (U.S. air date 5/30/08) (U.S. spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

mialza

[81]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 14

I liked the cat story. I don't think that the cat being dead is what caused Lampkin to lose it. I think it caused him to not only lose faith in life, but actually believe that humanity didn't deserve to live. He saw Lee as someone who could actually help the species and he didn't want that. It also served as his final test to see if Lee had what it took to lead the race.

A quick question for 123home123. Out of curiosity how do you feel about ***** for watching shows. I know you are against illegal downloading, but as far as I know this site is legal and I would like your take on it.

[Editor's note: I removed the reference to the illegal download/upload site.]
    Edited on 06/01/2008 11:30am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hazelnut144

[82]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 8
    The Adama/Tigh fight, I think was well done, although seems a little brutal as well. I have a bit of a hard time watching, not because it's bad, but just because of how brutal it is. It's a little like the Adama/Roslin scene in "Six of One". Although, I will agree that I loved the "Do you know how many times I've had to repair this?"

As for the cat storyline, I didn't figure it out, but I knew that there was something going on with the cat. Just the amount of times that there was a weirdly significant closeup shot of it. But I was coming up with a bunch of weird theories about how it was the final cylon, which was a little odd. The other thing that I found the cat did was set up another red herring for the final cylon. I definitely don't see him as actually being the final cylon though. He's too recent. It would be like if they made Kendra the final cylon, but seeing the cat could be seen as projection.

123home123

[83]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 55
    mialza wrote:

I liked the cat story. I don't think that the cat being dead is what caused Lampkin to lose it. I think it caused him to not only lose faith in life, but actually believe that humanity didn't deserve to live. He saw Lee as someone who could actually help the species and he didn't want that. It also served as his final test to see if Lee had what it took to lead the race.

A quick question for 123home123. Out of curiosity how do you feel about ****** for watching shows. I know you are against illegal downloading, but as far as I know this site is legal and I would like your take on it.

[That site does not appear to be legitimate, or at least any uploaded videos do not appear to be licensed. If a site does not have an official agreement with NBC Universal, then it is not legal. The rules against illegal downloading are not my rules. They are TV.com rules. It's pretty serious business if TV.com does not prevent its forums from being used to facilitate illegal downloads. If no action were taken at all, then TV.com and CNET could find itself being found liable for facilitation of copyright infringement.

As far as I know, the only legitimate video download and streaming video sites are scifi.com (of course), Hulu.com, Fancast.com (a Comcast site that licenses video streams from Hulu) and Amazon Unbox Video Downloads. I don't think iTunes hosts BSG anymore.]

Now, to return to the episode, I guess I'll have to watch it again and give the scenes with the cat more attention. Maybe what I found a little confusing is that we haven't seen Lampkin at all this season and then we get the sudden shift in character. I know the explanation is that he felt guilty about abandoning his family after the Cylon attack on the Colonial homeworlds but I don't see him as the type to pick up a gun and try to kill someone like Lee because he was the right candidate. Lampkin is a man of laws, and a hyper-rational man. We never saw any hints before that he would give into his emotions so completely in his earlier appearances. But I'll give it a second chance.

I guess with Tigh I still have some misgivings that they made him a Final Five Cylon in the first place. I watched some of the Miniseries recently while checking on a submission for the guide. When I saw some scenes with Tigh, I remembered what his character represented back then: the hard-nosed veteran who had some personal issues with alcohol and a bad marriage. It's better that Tigh never knew he was a Cylon at that point but it still changes the effect of those scenes when you go back to watch them again.

As for the fight, I realize now that it was the fact that Tigh was having a sexual relationship with Caprica Six that set off Adama. He was jealous that Tigh had found someone (even if it was a Cylon prisoner) at the same time that Laura Roslin had just gone missing. His attack was based on his frustration about Roslin's absence. So on further consideration, the fight does make more sense.
    Edited on 06/01/2008 12:04pm

hazelnut144

[84]Jun 1, 2008
    The jealousy thing actually makes a bit more sense now that I think about it I guess.

As for Tigh, while rewatching the first three seasons before the fourth started airing, I was remembering what a human character Tigh was. So while him as a cylon is interesting, and may actually serve to enhance the humanness of them, I still remember how he was always one of the examples of one of the most flawed, yet deeply human characters in the show. So basically, I'm going to see where him being a cylon goes, because so far I have liked what they are doing with him, but I'm still not 100% for his cylonicity.

123home123

[85]Jun 1, 2008
    Tigh was one of my favorite characters in previous seasons. He faded a little later on but he was still a great, complicated personality. I'm still trying to get a handle on the dramatic effect of his Cylon identity too.

Another thought popped into my head about Adama and Tigh. Even if it made sense for Adama to be frustrated, I'm not sure a barroom brawl would have been the natural reaction. Edward James Olmos is 61 years old, after all. Michael Hogan is in his 50s. The closing credits listed the stunt doubles for Adama and Tigh because obviously they weren't about to ask Olmos and Hogan to film that fight scene themselves. I'll try to rewatch the episode this evening since the baseball game will be over by that time. I also have something new in mind for the guide so I might work on that this afternoon while I'm outside.

tribalchic

[86]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 17

123home123 wrote:
    ---------- A note about the spoiler policy: Since there are a few complaints, I thought I'd address this right here. As editor I often have to make specific decisions about the guide and the forum. I try to consider all the competing factors and arguments. I also realize that no matter what I decide, someone out there will complain. While I will take such complaints into consideration, I won't let one or two vocal complainers decide for me. I felt that since it would only be a 3-day wait for U.K. fans, the spoiler policy was the right one. As for those who complain that American fans already saw the episode prematurely too, no, I will not take that into consideration AT ALL. I will never make any concessions for people who have watched illegal downloads. I won't go out of my way to stop it, but it won't control any policies on this forum or guide. That's actually an issue I hadn't thought of last week. Opening up the thread to spoilers may provide an incentive for more people to watch illegal downloads in the U.S. Would this thread make or break BSG and put a huge dent in the viewer numbers? No, probably not, but it's about the principle of the matter. The illegal download angle makes it more clear to me that the current spoiler policy is the way to go. So I'm making an executive decision and maintaining that policy. No facilitation of illegal downloads, even if only indirectly. Besides, I've been informed by a U.K. fan on the other thread that Sky One is not showing BSG this Tuesday. So the next two episodes are going to air first in the U.S. anyway, making this whole discussion moot.

ok this is the last time im bringing this up (i promise).

I wasn't complaining, I was only trying to be diplomatic and look at it from U.K's point of view since we never gave them any consideration when it came to spoilers in the past when they had to wait for an episode, why should they for us?

thats all my arguement was about, it had nothing to do with promoting illegal downloading or getting the episode before it air's here in the states.

Raven-22

[87]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 2
    I just got done re-watching "guess what's is coming to dinner" and maybe it is just me but if I just found out that me and my fellow cylon have been to earth I think that would be the topic I would want to discuss with them. If I was Tigh I think the first question I would have would asked would be "anyone remember where it is?"

hazelnut144

[88]Jun 1, 2008
    Well maybe they talked about that and we just didn't see that scene? I know what you mean though. I had a similar thought.

Preyfr60

[89]Jun 1, 2008

Raven-22 wrote:
    I just got done re-watching "guess what's is coming to dinner" and maybe it is just me but if I just found out that me and my fellow cylon have been to earth I think that would be the topic I would want to discuss with them. If I was Tigh I think the first question I would have would asked would be "anyone remember where it is?"

My theory is that they don't remember where Earth is. Remember when they first met, how they were stunned to understand they are cylons? In a moment like that, I think you see all your life "in front of " your eyes. If they knew the way to Earth, don't you think Tigh would have try to modify course of the fleet? And Tory to speak to Roslin?

I think they will know about the way to Earth when they will meet the Final Five.

mialza

[90]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 14
    123home123, thanks for the info. It's hard to tell what's legit and what not these days. It will be great once they figure out how to handle TV on the internet properly.

123home123

[91]Jun 1, 2008
    I saw about half of the episode again during the repeat broadcast on Sunday night. I think the episode gets better in repeat viewings. Normally I don't watch episodes over and over again but I've been wondering if I didn't give this episode a fair shake.

Adama's actions at the end, as he went off in the Raptor by himself, are really sad. He seems like such a lonely old man, all by himself in a small ship in the middle of nowhere, reading a book and waiting for his soul mate to return from who knows where. He really did seem frail and human in those scenes. He seems older this season, much older, and much more tired, probably because Laura Roslin is dying. The character looks worn out emotionally but now he seems to have found his personal mission, which is to find Roslin.

It's these kinds of moments that draw me to the series, not so much the "who is the final Cylon?" issue. If the writers suddenly forgot about the mysterious final Cylon issue but they kept on telling insightful stories about these people on the run for their lives, I'd still watch.

Rivenhall

[92]Jun 2, 2008
    I agree with you here. To me the interest in BSG has always been the human race-battling-extinction scenario and what gets sacrificed when you can't afford it any more. Like compassion, rights, legalities etc. What makes us think we deserve to live, in fact, which is one of the key questions the Cylon seem keen to find out the answer to. I will settle for this and the other key themes being addressed in the final episodes, even if I don't agree with who is the final whatever and who lives/dies. As long as the end justifies the journey the show has taken over these years.

ebony_kunoichi

[93]Jun 2, 2008
    • level: 13

I don't know if I am the only one, but I loved this episode.

Adama taking off and quitting to go find his boo was too sweet. I screamed when he said that he couldnt live without her. I knew it!!

Lee as president is a bold move. I dont like Lee right now, but I guess we will see. I prefer Tom.

Tigh knocking up a six what the??!?!? Kudos for Saul hitting that, but wow that just opens up a whole can of worms. Now he is in charge and the fight with Adama was hilarious. Cylons can have babies with Cylons?!? Callie as a the final Cylon is very possible now.

I don't like Lampkin and didnt get the whole cat thing. I know it was dead, but the interaction with Lee and the dialog seemed a bit misplaced and just weird. Is it just me?

Poor Sharon, I kinda feel for her, but she did shoot someone! Maybe she can get comfort from someone(hint, hint Tyrol).

hazelnut144

[94]Jun 2, 2008
    I agree about the emotional story being more interesting. And as for Adama, I can definitely see him being one of the only people left at the end when they find Earth. Because it's likely Roslin will die before the end of the series, and I have the feeling that Lee and Kara might not make it either. So I can see Adama ending the story all alone in a cabin with his ship. This show really is more about the story of the people rather than the war, and I love that about it.

My one complaint is that Lee and Kara haven't exchanged a word onscreen since "Six of One". I mean, I just want some of their normal bantering. Kara teasing him about his name being Leland or something.

h00plah

[95]Jun 2, 2008
    • level: 10

Wasn't the best episode of the season so far, but was still enjoyable. Lots of development is going on character-wise, and everything just seems to be falling apart in the fleet. The cylon assassination, Admiral Adama is going to find Roslin and leaves Tigh in charge.

But at least a new president was chosen, glad it was lee. Anyway, I simply cannot wait until this weeks episode, it appears that the final cylon (hinted as roslin, but I'm not saying it it). It's going to be a wild episode full of twists and turns, and by then end of it, jaws will be dropped, I'm sure.

Edited on 06/02/2008 2:04pm

sheli20

[96]Jun 3, 2008
    [Possible spoiler from the next episode, "The Hub"]

***SPOILER***
    h00plah wrote:

Wasn't the best episode of the season so far, but was still enjoyable. Lots of development is going on character-wise, and everything just seems to be falling apart in the fleet. The cylon assassination, Admiral Adama is going to find Roslin and leaves Tigh in charge.

But at least a new president was chosen, glad it was lee. Anyway, I simply cannot wait until this weeks episode, it appears that the final cylon (hinted as roslin, but I'm not saying it it). It's going to be a wild episode full of twists and turns, and by then end of it, jaws will be dropped, I'm sure.

Edited on 06/03/2008 8:09pm

hazelnut144

[97]Jun 3, 2008
    Guys, please don't talk about the teaser. Most of us on this thread haven't been watching them, so if you want to talk about them, please spoiler tag.

h00plah

[98]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 10
    Alright, sorry for that hazelnut. Only a couple more days left until the new episode anyway.

ophee

[99]Jun 3, 2008

Tigh knocks up a prisoner and Adama gives him command of the Galactica? Athena killed an ally - what will they do with her, make her president? (oh no, that already went to Lee)

A good epsiode overall, but I think the whole Tigh/6 thing was over much too quickly

hazelnut144

[100]Jun 3, 2008
    yup, only a couple more days, and thanks, I just know that a lot of people on this forum find the teasers way to revealing.