Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Six of One" (U.S. air date 4/11/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

hazelnut144

[41]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 8
    Great episode. It's so true, what Kara pointed out to Roslin. The entire fleet followed Roslin's visions. Kara went back to Caprica for her, got herself stuck in that cylon farm. You can't blame her if she's bitter that Roslin won't even give her a chance. The scene with Roslin and Adama was amazingly done; I love their chemistry. I loved the "Get out of my head" line.
    I will admit that I loved the whole Lee/Kara scene...I thought it was pretty cute. And the whole "I believe you" part? Well a big thing last season was that he didn't trust her. Now she has his trust. The sendoff for Lee was pretty well done. I loved the scene in the pilots' common room. And the huge formation down on the hangar deck
    So now Kara is off on her own. Hopefully with some other main cast people, just because I don't want her to be all on her own. Baltar seeing head Baltar was priceless. I loved their conversation, and I just got the feeling that James Callis has a lot of fun playing head Baltar. And Baltar's back doesn't glow, so if anyone was still unsure about him being a cylon, I think that probably confirms that he's not.
    Interesting that in the numbering, the 7 skip number 7. I wonder if that is on purpose, or if they just didn't think of that when they numbered the eights? Could go either way I guess. Also interesting that Cavil is number 1. He also seems to be more or less in charge. So now the Centurions are smart. hmmmm... "The Cylons were created by man. They were created to make life easier on the Twelve Colonies. And then the day came when the Cylons decided to kill their masters." Sound familiar to anyone? Because somehow I don't think that the Centurions will be willing to go back to being dumb machines now. And if it came to an all out war between the skinjobs and the centurions, the centurions would probably win. They are just *slightly* more durable.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[42]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 55
    Also interesting that they showed the old photo of Adama with Zak and Lee, yet another hint at Zak returning to the show in some fashion. Are these references supposed to be clues that Zak is the final Cylon? I'm not sure how I feel about that. That would mean that Adama is not a Cylon, so how could he have a Cylon son? And not just any Cylon but one of the Final Five.

Or one can look at it in a different perspective. The photo was shown while Adama was holding the figure of Aurora, the goddess of the dawn and of renewal. In "He That Believeth in Me," Lee spoke about Zak's return as a Cylon. What if both of these hints are not meant to signal that Zak is the final Cylon but that he will return to the show in a manner similar to the way Kara did? Zak allegedly died in a Viper accident because he was too inexperienced and not talented enough in the cockpit. But didn't Kara "die" while flying a Viper too?

What if Zak's Viper appeared to explode, say near a hurricane or thunderstorm? Could that be similar to the swirling clouds that destroyed Kara's Viper in "Maelstrom"? If so, could Zak have survived in the same way that Kara did? And couldn't that mean that he too traveled to Earth, only to return at a later date?

What if Kara and Zak are the only two Colonials to make it to Earth? Could they be Adam(a) and Eve?

In the original BSG series, Apollo died and came back to life on the Ship of Light. Several people have posted that there are hints of a concept like the Ship of Light being used in this series. The return of Kara may signal this. The sudden references to Zak in both episodes this season may be another signal.

I could be reading too much into it but the hints at Zak Adama are becoming fairly prominent early in this season. Something's up...
    Edited on 04/12/2008 7:38pm

fanfas

[43]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 13
    Man i loved this episode, remind me so much of seasons 1 and 2, and why i loved this series, they are doing a great job so far, lets hope they can keep the pace until the end, and more, they don't fraking break the season in 2.

hazelnut144

[44]Apr 12, 2008
    Those are good points about Zak. It could be that he will play some kind of role in this season. Although I suppose it COULD just be a coincidence. Lee could have brought up Zak in that conversation just to prove a point. That maybe it doesn't matter if people are cylons or not. That maybe they can be people, and that it doesn't change who they were. But then again, Zak would be a HUGE reveal as the final cylon. That might be an idea, because frankly, I'm failing to see anyone else who would have such an impact. All the major characters seem to be suspected as cylons, and the minor ones that aren't wouldn't really cause people to care enough...

Sektos

[45]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 10
    Oh yes, YES!!! Take that Roslin!!!! sorry to u guys who like her, but i hate her soooo much (great character, but i hate who the character is as a person). I have always said she is a xenophobic, hypocritical religious fanatic, and im glad the the creators didnt just have that there subtly the whole way. Im glad its finnally being highlighted

Well it appears the rumor i heard about Head Baltar is true (i heard this last year!) but there a balance to this people if Baltar now has Head Baltar (helping to shape him)... then whats happened to head 6 *wink wink*

I honestly believe that Tory was actually drawn to Baltar, and maybe is starting to have some feeling for him. This was a person who hated Baltar with a passion and was sicken by the thought of sleeping with him, and ONE conversation later she slept with him. Baltar once again some how KNEW what to do *slash* MADE something happen- he accurately described what four of the 5 actually heard
    When he was talking to her after they had sex i really think she started to believe him

clos_vf

[46]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 12
    hazelnut144 wrote:
    Those are good points about Zak. It could be that he will play some kind of role in this season. Although I suppose it COULD just be a coincidence. Lee could have brought up Zak in that conversation just to prove a point. That maybe it doesn't matter if people are cylons or not. That maybe they can be people, and that it doesn't change who they were. But then again, Zak would be a HUGE reveal as the final cylon. That might be an idea, because frankly, I'm failing to see anyone else who would have such an impact. All the major characters seem to be suspected as cylons, and the minor ones that aren't wouldn't really cause people to care enough...

Last season duriung the ender they did bring Zak up too so yeah what if he did survive and he is the final Cylon. Maybe the Cylons faked the crash and have him hiding waiting for the right time to bring him back.

HellOnEarth101

[47]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 15
    LOVED this episode.
    Starbuck was her usual awesome bad-ass self, and the parts where she stood up to Roslin, and the bits where she was breaking down were brilliant.
    I also loved the scene between Starbuck and Lee (I like them together ) and the sendoff for Lee.
    Also, the Gaius/Tory/Gaius scene was pretty funny.

I wonder if anyone will be going with Kara to find Earth.

labrikos

[48]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 11
    "all this has happened before, and will happen again, and again, and again, and again..."

MovieMark

[49]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 30

123home123 wrote:
    In the original BSG series, Apollo died and came back to life on the Ship of Light. Several people have posted that there are hints of a concept like the Ship of Light being used in this series. The return of Kara may signal this. The sudden references to Zak in both episodes this season may be another signal.

Some great theories there

Hmm, I havent seen the original series, but this Ship of Light might explain why Kara's viper was repaired, too.

As a side note, the reviews written so far have been across the board positive so far, and yet there are quite a number of people who have disagreed with these reviews. I wonder why? No one has given reason on the boards as of yet, maybe it's just the same 3 people disagreeing, I'd love to hear why they didn't like it. Hmmph

zukiki

[50]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 10

I like the plot, and I think season 4 is going in a good direction, but I can't stand Micheal Angeli as a writer, through out the episode it was painfully obvious which scene he wrote, and which scenes RDM took a pass at. Just about anytime someone has an argument in his episodes it just brutal...During the Adama Roselin bit, I couldn't believe the crap they were saying, it was ridiculous. The highlight of the night would have to be:

"You can stay in the room, but get out of my head"

...really? This is the President and the Admiral of the fleet, and the way they were talking these "prolific" jabs at each other was too much for me, and they just had to keep going, cause they had to have the last word.

Even the cyclon bickering was frustrating to watch, I'm fine with them arguing, it's just the way they were doing it. It's just so over the top in a way that is only done when Angeli is writing. It drives me nuts.

I'd say the only plot point I didn't like was when Kara kept saying "If we take one more jump I'm gonna lose it forever..." and then right after they take one more jump they finally decide to give her a ship to go find earth. How does that work?

Edited on 04/13/2008 6:42am

hazelnut144

[51]Apr 13, 2008
    HellOnEarth101 wrote:

Me too. I just don't see her being stuck completely on her own, without any other main, or at least recurring, characters. Helo and Athena would be kind of nice, but they have Hera to worry about. Maybe they'll give her some of the recurring characters? I doubt any of the four, because I think they need to stay together and work stuff out. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

123home123

[52]Apr 13, 2008
    MovieMark wrote:
    As a side note, the reviews written so far have been across the board positive so far, and yet there are quite a number of people who have disagreed with these reviews. I wonder why? No one has given reason on the boards as of yet, maybe it's just the same 3 people disagreeing, I'd love to hear why they didn't like it. Hmmph

I think we got hit by a couple trolls. It happens from time to time. There have been 145 votes on the episode so far, with a cumulative score of 9.0. But you'll notice that there are 5 people who voted "abysmal." Again, the trolls. Obviously the other 97% thought the episode was excellent. I doubt we'll be hearing any intelligent critiques on the forum from the five. So instead they decide to disagree with almost each review. There are also exactly 3 votes for "Bad" in the poll in this thread. Coincidence? I think not.

Most of the scripts are collaborative efforts but Ronald Moore doesn't write sections of every episode. He and David Eick sketch out the overall story of each episode and they may offer suggestions here and there but I don't think they write specific scenes unless they are credited as the lead writer for the episode.

I didn't see any particular problem with the dialog. Roslin is dying from cancer, which is why she is starting to lose it. I think that's a realistic reaction for someone in that situation, especially when talking to a close friend in a private setting. It's not as though she were speaking like that in a public press conference.

Adama was also under stress because of Lee's departure from the Galactica and his mixed feelings about Kara. Don't forget that he was also hungover during that scene (because of Lee's farewell party).
    Edited on 04/13/2008 7:44am

Mangalore

[53]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    123home123 wrote:

Adama was also under stress because of Lee's departure from the Galactica and his mixed feelings about Kara. Don't forget that he was also hungover during that scene (because of Lee's farewell party).

Adama is not used to this kind of abuse to his health. Tigh should take over command again!!

zzbeach

[54]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 12

Okay, so I'm a troll. Hmmm, I got chastised by 123 for a kool-aid remark once and you were right. It was offensive and I apologized. But I understand about the troll remark. Anyway, since moviemark asked I did write a review. I wasn't going to but to all or your credit you wanted to hear a different opinion. Thank you. At first I didn't have the heart to write one but I hope you all read it and let me know what you think. I read in a previous post post about the Ship of Lights and Starbuck. What if Head Six and Head Baltar are new BSG's version of Count Iblis's influence on Baltar? In the original BSG, Count Iblis was instrumental in the creation of the Cylon robots by the reptilian Cylons. Could the cast of characters in Baltar's head be the influence of Count Iblis or new BSG's version of Count Iblis?

123home123

[55]Apr 13, 2008
    Well, no one named you specifically, and anyway no one has any idea who votes and how they vote. It's your choice to make your vote public. I was surprised by the need to register a "bad" or "abysmal" vote on the episode guide, on the poll in this forum thread, and on nearly every single review for the episode. That takes a lot of work to browse back and forth just to register that negative vote.

If I am disappointed with an episode of a show, I might give it a low vote and post some honest comments in the episode discussion thread and then leave it at that. I wouldn't get so worked up to make sure I voted "nay" on every single episode review as well. It's as though there is an extra need to impose your view on everyone else. If 97% of the voters liked the episode and yet every episode review is dominated by negative votes, then yes, I would say that something strange is going on. In addition, it seems like the negative votes on the reviews are solely based on the score. You are free to vote that way if you want, but I would hope that people judge reviews on the opinions stated along with the score given.

There are some elements of this episode that I could nitpick at, but I certainly don't see how an honest viewer would rate it a 1.0. I frequently see such ratings for other shows I edit when no one even tracks those shows. Given the lengthy (6-month) experience I had with a group of extremely aggressive and even violent trolls last year (not related to the BSG guide), I generally assume that such behavior is related to trolling, specifically to those people from last year.
    Edited on 04/13/2008 9:21am
    Edited 2 total times.

tribalchic

[56]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 17

hazelnut144 wrote:
    HellOnEarth101 wrote:
    Me too. I just don't see her being stuck completely on her own, without any other main, or at least recurring, characters. Helo and Athena would be kind of nice, but they have Hera to worry about. Maybe they'll give her some of the recurring characters? I doubt any of the four, because I think they need to stay together and work stuff out. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

didn't adama say somthing like "you have to find your own crew"? I could have sworn he said somthing like that after the remark about standing the smell since it was a sewage ship (the audio was skipping throughout the episodes so its possible i mis-interpreted

adewusi13

[57]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 6
    This was an Awesome episode. I was clapping with everyone when Apollo left. I'm glad Starbuck is going to get her chance to prove that she was right. I can't help but feel that she will screw up somehow along the way though.

Mangalore

[58]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    tribalchic wrote:

didn't adama say somthing like "you have to find your own crew"? I could have sworn he said somthing like that after the remark about standing the smell since it was a sewage ship (the audio was skipping throughout the episodes so its possible i mis-interpreted

I believe he said "Helo and I have found a crew for you..." Will see next week.

AprilFox

[59]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 109
    I love reading everyone's theories, I can tell alot of thought went into them. This episode was eerily beautiful, in that you didn't like what was happening but couldn't help but almost root for the evil. Does mankind really deserve a second chance? How badly do they want to find Earth that they are willing to cast a possible savior out? The list goes on and the acting, directing, writing is all top notch. I totally agree that the scenes between Baltar and Tory were phenomenal, she really has come into her own. She always seemed such a cold fish and all business. Still waters do run deep . I can't imagine TV without BSG to challenge us with ideas and thoughts and hope and defeat it's life really. This show has so much heart and soul, pain and victory, defeat and hope, how can anyone not get caught up in the struggles of the world of Galactica?

MovieMark

[60]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 30

zzbeech wrote:
    Anyway, since moviemark asked I did write a review.

I read your review

While you make one or two good points (I, too, didn't really enjoy Lee's farewell scene), you make some utter ridiculous ones, also. I'm not going to get into it, cause, hey, personal opinion and all that - but the unlikeness of Kara kicking ass. Is that because she's a woman? Maybe you meant her actions wouldn't be tolerated, perhaps not. Believe it or believe it not, there are women out there who could wipe the floor with most men.