Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Six of One" (U.S. air date 4/11/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

lisagraham

[61]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 30
    Mangalore wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:

didn't adama say somthing like "you have to find your own crew"? I could have sworn he said somthing like that after the remark about standing the smell since it was a sewage ship (the audio was skipping throughout the episodes so its possible i mis-interpreted

I believe he said "Helo and I have found a crew for you..." Will see next week.

Yes

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hazelnut144

[62]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 8
    lisagraham wrote:
    Mangalore wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:

didn't adama say somthing like "you have to find your own crew"? I could have sworn he said somthing like that after the remark about standing the smell since it was a sewage ship (the audio was skipping throughout the episodes so its possible i mis-interpreted

I believe he said "Helo and I have found a crew for you..." Will see next week.

Yes

I believe that what he said was "Helo handpicked a crew for you. I'm giving you a ship. Hope you can stand the smell"
    Helo then goes on to say "We liberated the Demetrius. It's a sewage recycling ship. Party line will be that we're going for a scouting mission; looking for food."
    So from this, it sounds like Helo is going with her. So probably Athena will stay behind with Hera, but maybe she'll get a few of the recurring pilots or something.

123home123

[63]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 55
    The official Sci Fi Channel site says that Kara "commands a lone freighter in her desperate search for Earth." The picture shows her sitting at a desk looking at notes, charts and maps. No one else is shown in the image. (Not really a spoiler for next week since we already know that Adama gave her a ship.) At least this confirms that she will have a small crew, maybe just one or two other people, or a few more.

We haven't seen storylines focused on a small group of people making their way alone since Kara, Helo and Caprica Sharon (now Athena) returned to the fleet (well, Roslin and Lee's breakaway fleet) early in Season 2 ("Home, Part 1" Ep. 2-6). It's a good way to change the types of stories the writers can create this season. It also brings back the lonely traveler scenarios from Season 1 when Helo and Caprica Sharon were on the run from the Cylons on Caprica with no ship or backup support.

From a budgetary perspective, this means that the production team had to create new sets, or at least modify some of the old ones. I guess they could re-use the sets for the Gideon (the Gideon Massacre) and Peter Laird's old ship. (Laird was the civilian engineer who was forcibly drafted and removed by Admiral Cain's team to serve as the deck chief on Pegasus. We saw Kendra Shaw shoot a civilian woman in the head when the Marines tried to remove Laird and a few others in "Razor.") It's always good to have a change of scenery in the show so we don't see the same "A-frame" hallways and quarters. We already have a new setting with Baltar's hideout, and now we'll have the different setting of Kara's freighter.

You might have noticed the CGI changes as well. The Cylon Raiders look different, a bit sleeker. The heads appear different too as we saw in the scene between the Raider and Anders in "He That Believeth in Me." The old Raiders used to have a straight "eye" opening, or at least one that was only slightly curved down in the middle. The new design has a V-shape, which we saw in the close-up shot. The Centurions look different too. I think their heads are stretched out and longer than they were before.

One of the co-executive producers mentioned the CGI changes in a blog post or interview. I don't remember which one but it might have been Mark Verheiden. He said that the changes won't be explained on the show itself, so we should accept that in the world of the series, the characters won't notice that anything looks different about the Raiders and Centurions. The changes are merely there to provide some flashy eye candy for viewers, a refresh of the Cylon visuals.

The changes don't just stop there. Head Six also has a slightly different appearance. She looks more like a businesswoman with her makeup. I think her lips are more sharply defined with the lipstick and there's also something different about her eyelashes. Maybe there's more mascara or something. But she definitely looks a little different.

I think the changes show that the Sci Fi Channel is trying to go all out with this final season. If so, then that's a good sign that they are bumping up the production budget a little, and maybe the studio executives will interfere a little less in terms of having stand-alone stories. I think Ronald Moore and some of the other producers try to downplay it, but it seems that studio pressure and corporate interference from the Sci Fi Channel led the writers to include more of the stand-alone episodes in the 2nd half of both Season 2 and Season 3. That's why we had stories like "Black Market," and "The Woman King." I liked both of those episodes but they clearly were not among the greatest of the series. Some of the producers hinted at this interference a while back but after the strike I think everyone is trying to play nice and create a harmonious work atmosphere. That's the right way to go, and maintaining the focus on the search for Earth and the big stories of the series will probably result in a more focused 2nd half of the season.

Well, I didn't intend this post to be so long, but the words just kind of poured out.

gcswift2

[64]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 9

Where are the PODCAST???

They're one of the best parts of the show. What happened?

theamazingmrg

[65]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 4

In answer to the earlier point about Cylon numbering:

We have 1-6, who are all members of the Cylon Fleet (ie. none have gone over to the "other side"), and we have 8 + 4 of the Final Five who have sided with the humans (obviously not all of the 8's). So 1-6 are "evil" and 8-12 are "good" (and we can probably assume that 7 will be as well, balancing the Cylons). Boomer was the dissenting voice that ultimately led to a weakened Cylon position - so arguably Athena isn't the only "good" 8. Six also has an influence on the human fleet (in the form of Head Six) and maybe No. 7 will have a similar effect on the Cylon fleet? Which implies that Baltar may be the last Cylon to be revealed (because of Six's Head Baltar). We'll have to wait and see!

On a different note: Is Starbuck the "dying leader" of the Scrolls of Pythia? I can't remember if the scrolls said that the leader would be dying, or if they just said that the leader would die before the survivors reached earth (Starbuck has died, the fleet hasn't reached earth). This would indicate that Starbuck will lead the fleet to earth. Unfortunately it doesn't explain the business with Roslin and the snakes in Season 1.

Forgive the ramblings but I just had to see if others had similar thoughts!

123home123

[66]Apr 13, 2008
    gcswift2 wrote:

Where are the PODCAST???

They're one of the best parts of the show. What happened?

Ronald Moore said on his personal blog site that his recorder broke. Really. He's borrowing a recorder or microphone from someone else and hopes to get caught up on the podcasts this weekend. Or not.

Podcast still no go (April 11, 2008)
    Yes, we have no Podcast (April 5, 2008)

By the way, are they usually available in MP3 format? If so, I might download them to my smart phone and listen to them during the day or during my daily commute.

The BSG guide reached the no. 3 position on TV.com on Sunday. The top ten list was broken on Saturday so I don't know if we managed to reach the top spot again like we did last weekend.
    Edited on 04/13/2008 7:43pm
    Edited 2 total times.

seantuck

[67]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 8

ISpeakTheTruth wrote:
    Finally! I've waited four seasons but finally the Centurians are starting to take the center stage in the cylon story. Now that they're no longer held back and are now fully centient I think we're going to see the irony start happening. If you look at the previews for the next episode it looks like the Centurians don't like being bossed around any more. Possible Centurian take-over? Wouldn't that be ironic the cylons killed us for 'enslaving' them and then the Centurians kill the other cylons for 'enslaving' them. Can't wait for the next episode.

I really think that you could be right about the Centurian's taking over! This quote from the show would fit that I would say, "All of this has happend, and will happen again"

123home123

[68]Apr 13, 2008
    zzbeach wrote:
    Anyway, since moviemark asked I did write a review. I wasn't going to but to all or your credit you wanted to hear a different opinion. Thank you. At first I didn't have the heart to write one but I hope you all read it and let me know what you think.

Obviously I don't agree with your views but I guess you can't please all the people all the time. You've stated several times in the recent past that you are disappointed with this show precisely because it isn't following the path of the original series more closely. I really think you might be banging your head against a wall in futility here. It's been clear since 2003 that this series takes a completely different approach to the material than the original series did.

Most people have welcomed the new approach while a few die-hards stayed away from the series completely. Either way, it seems kind of pointless to keep on hoping after 3+ seasons that the producers will return to the approach of the 1978 series (or heaven forbid, Galactica 1980). The 1978 series has its place in sci-fi TV history but this is not that series.

You also seem to forget that most of the characters in this series are not supposed to be the infallible action-hero types one sees so often in traditional sci-fi adventure shows and movies. Ronald Moore intentionally made the Galactica somewhat of a washed-up ship back in the Miniseries. The ship was going to be mothballed and turned into a museum. And then they got blindsided by the Cylon attack. The realization that they were now fighting for their very survival made all of them edgy, unnerved and unstable (some more than others). All of this was written into the show intentionally.

It's not a show about a ship with nearly unlimited capabilities with sparkling clean hallways, magical computers that provide food in seconds, and supremely confident leaders who never seem to have any character flaws that really affect their performance. Yes, not every detail in the show is 100% realistic because it is, after all, still a TV show. But many of the most important conflicts and character portrayals show how a real human being might act in similar situations. Even well-trained soldiers and Marines can crack in real-life battles, or at least face severe self-doubt. We see a lot of this on the show. That's realistic to me. The science details not so much, but at some point you have to go with the flow or else it would have to be a science documentary. (For example, I've been reading about the effects of galactic cosmic rays on interplanetary space travelers. We never see any explanation of how the Colonials are able to fight off the effects of this ever-present space radiation. But is that really so necessary? It's not really a science-focused show we're watching, and those types of science details would kill the narrative and dramatic flow completely.)

You asked for my honest opinion about your review (and in turn about some of your previous forum threads) so I'm providing them. Note that this is not intended as a personal attack on you, just my opinion that maybe you should distinguish between the two series a bit more and understand that they really are worlds apart. (That was not meant as an attack on the 1978 show either.)

As I've pointed out in my posts this weekend, I'm pleased with how this season is developing. We should get a fresh set of situations and storylines with Kara's separate quest for Earth. And the focus on Baltar's religious journey is particularly fascinating. Religion has long been a central part of politics and political philosophy, even among agnostic and atheist observers and participants. It wouldn't make sense to write a show that examines politics, survival and war so intently and ignore religion completely. Just look back at thousands of years of recorded human history on Earth along with current conflicts around our Earth. Some examples: the medieval wars of religion, the Holy Roman Empire, the rise of Mohammad, the English Civil War, the Troubles in Northern Ireland, the Bolshevik Revolution (yes, Communism is sort of like a godless religion in many ways, to the point that the Bolsheviks felt the need and urgency to stamp out all "competing" religious and philosophical thought once they took over), the cultural struggles in the U.S. over religion and morality especially since the 1960s, the rise of Al Qaeda, and so on. Religion is a complex and tricky topic but it's certainly not one that should be ignored by a show like BSG.

This is why storylines like the Baltar-Tory one and the group of Baltar worshippers work for me, and for the vast majority of viewers.

On a side note, I found it noteworthy that another BSG site cited the summary for next week's episode from the TV.com guide. (They provided proper attribution so everything's fine.) I've seen other references to TV.com among the various BSG sites too. Kinda cool.
    Edited on 04/13/2008 8:48pm
    Edited 2 total times.

x5slider

[69]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 3
    A) I think season 4 has been great so far. I have though for a while now that this would end up a some kind of Cylon civil war. It will be interesting to see where the line is. I think some of the Raders will end up with some of the Human's as a group of rebels.

B) Anyone know how many episodes are going to be in Season 4?

Idbeolderifiwas

[70]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 20
    Season 4 is going to be 20 episodes, just like the past 2 seasons have been. I'm not sure why so many people expect anything less or more.

123home123

[71]Apr 14, 2008
    I think it's because of the reports last year that Season 4 would include 22 episodes. That number counted "Razor" as 2 episodes. At the time, we didn't know what format the TV movie would take.

So it's still 20 regular episodes for Season 4.

clos_vf

[72]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 12
    hazelnut144 wrote:
    HellOnEarth101 wrote:
    I wonder if anyone will be going with Kara to find Earth.

Me too. I just don't see her being stuck completely on her own, without any other main, or at least recurring, characters. Helo and Athena would be kind of nice, but they have Hera to worry about. Maybe they'll give her some of the recurring characters? I doubt any of the four, because I think they need to stay together and work stuff out. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

i think they showed a crew with her when they showed previews for next episode. it looked like Anders was one of the crew members. Unless they were just prepping her for her journey and they just didnt wanna spoil who was going with her in the previews.

Sheytan

[73]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 7
    theamazingmrg wrote:

In answer to the earlier point about Cylon numbering:

We have 1-6, who are all members of the Cylon Fleet (ie. none have gone over to the "other side"), and we have 8 + 4 of the Final Five who have sided with the humans (obviously not all of the 8's). So 1-6 are "evil" and 8-12 are "good" (and we can probably assume that 7 will be as well, balancing the Cylons). Boomer was the dissenting voice that ultimately led to a weakened Cylon position - so arguably Athena isn't the only "good" 8. Six also has an influence on the human fleet (in the form of Head Six) and maybe No. 7 will have a similar effect on the Cylon fleet? Which implies that Baltar may be the last Cylon to be revealed (because of Six's Head Baltar). We'll have to wait and see

I don't see the cylons as evil yet anyway we don't know the ultimate plan (the divine plan?)

123home123

[74]Apr 14, 2008
    But we already know that the Cylons killed billions of humans in the surprise attack on the Colonial homeworlds. I think that makes them evil. Col. Tigh thought so too, but now that he knows he's a Final Five Cylon I wonder what he has to say on that point.

zzbeach

[75]Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks for the responses to my review. With the appearance of Head Baltar I was hoping somebody would mention my theory of a Count Iblis type character. If Starbuck's discovery of Earth has something to do with new BSG's version of the Ship of Lights, then you know a Count Iblis type character we've never seen before may be behind all the Head characters. Just a crazy theory of mine. It also would be a way to introduce a storyline from old BSG without telegraphing it to us all.

MichaudMR

[76]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 17

Iv'e brought up the Count Iblis, Ship of Lights, potential a number of times on several threads along with several of the other posters but that discussion hasn't come together just yet. Maybe it's time to open a separate thread?

On a side note: a while back I posited that if Saul Tigh were to find out he was a Cylon he would kill himself so he could download, "take a goo bath", wake up, and go on a rampage. That is if he finds out the final five can be resurrected, which we don't know yet.

Edited on 04/14/2008 6:13am

tripping82

[77]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 14
    LOL. I remember that post. That seems the most accurate for Saul.

zzbeach

[78]Apr 14, 2008
    The only way a Saul rampage would work is if he infected himself with the cold virus the Cylons have no immunity for. It's not like he could pop out of goo with a 50 cal machine gun in his hands, although it would be way cool!

tripping82

[79]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 14
    zzbeach wrote:
    It's not like he could pop out of goo with a 50 cal machine gun in his hands, although it would be way cool!

The should make that a dream sequence for him...or just film it and add it as a "deleted scene" for Season 4. I'd just love to see Saul on a Rampage.

ebony_kunoichi

[80]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 13

I have a theory, which probably isnt new or original, but it kinda hit me.

So here goes: We all know or should know how in BSG they have a belief os saying that everything that is happening how has happened before and will happen again. What if the Gods that they worship were cylons just like the skin jobs? and what if they created humankind in their own image and at first the humans were just created for labor or work then they were liberated and changed, some people became Lords of Kobol, but humanity rebelled and started a war then left to colonize space.

So it starts again, humans create robotic workers, i.e. cylons and at first they look like tin cans then as time goes on we know they develop and rebel against humanity and try to kill them all. Cylons have been growing and spreading out. then the cylons have the centurians that will eventually evolve and rebel then kill their masters.

I know there are many details in there, that I havent gone into, but hey I'm at work, people!