We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Six of One" (U.S. air date 4/11/08) (spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

tripping82

[101]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 14
    The_Obo wrote:
    One question I have about "Six of One" is why were there only 6 skin-job cylons voting? Where was the 7th? (the Zeena actress)???

She was boxed. Remember?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rslade70

[102]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 8
    tripping82 wrote:
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:

One VERY interesting rant from the Hybrid was "The 5 will not harm their own". Hmm,, does this mean we don't have to worry about Saul REALLY plugging Adama or plugging themselves?

Mr BO

It was actually: "They will not harm their own." Which more likely refers to the Raiders than the Final 5. After all, Tyrol, Tigh and Anders were the leaders of the resistance and definately killed some Cylons.

Nice Point. Although I am not sure we have ever seen them kill one (if anyone can pull up some Anders sceens from earlier episodes). We know that Tigh has given orders to fire upon cylon ships, thus killing them.

tripping82

[103]Apr 15, 2008
    I don't think skinjobs (whether it be 1 of the seven or 1 of five) have any problem killing or harming their own. The centurions and raiders do though.

nomatic11

[104]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 3
    I interpreted it to mean that the final five can't kill each other (their OWN kind). That is, Anders can't kill Tigh or vise versa. Remember, the final five are unique and in that sense, their own would mean themselves, not Cylons in general.

hazelnut144

[105]Apr 15, 2008
    Three/D'Anna was boxed in "Rapture" last season. Although the tie votes might lead to her unboxing.

Interesting thing that I noticed. For all intensive purposes, most models appear to have only one of themselves really. In the way that all the Threes are D'Anna, all the Ones are Cavil, all the Two's are Leoben etc. The Eights have Boomer and Athena, but technically they are still all Sharons. And then there are the sixes, who all have different names. There is Caprica, Shelley Godfrey, Gina, now Natalie. It just seems interesting that the Sixs don't seem to have a main identity.

123home123

[106]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 56
    Anders has killed many regular Cylons, Centurions and human-form. He attacked many of them on Caprica in hit-and-runs. He blew up the building in "Downloaded," killing many human-form Cylons. He set off a lot of bombs on New Caprica with Chief Tyrol. So both Anders and Tyrol have directly killed many Cylons.

bens123

[107]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 5

Hey all, just thought I'd drop in and say that the first 2 episodes have been brilliant. Looks like they've gone the way of making Baltar the Jesus archetype, I wrote a long thing about that after someone suggested it in a topic titled "Along the Watch Tower no indication of Earth time period" which probably no one read :p (I probably wouldn't have either), most of it was comparisons between Baltar's past and Jesus'. And there's lots more stuff to add from this season so far like: "Well it seems that god has chosen me to sing his song", miraculous cure of the kid (doesn't matter if it was coincidence, they believe it was a miracle) and various others.

I cracked up when he suddenly saw himself, "Oh my giddy aunt". Hilarious. Great scene in itself too with the music (another excellent part of the show in general) and the acting of Tory too. Some part of me wished Starbuck (WOW at her performance so far this season btw) did shoot Rosslyn, whose just become too annoying lately (which isn't a bad thing, I enjoy her getting under my skin, but I loved her at the beginning of the series when she had her visions and stuff). But obviously shooting Rosslyn would never work. Also glad that Starbuck gets a ship to go back to earth (finally, godamn rosslyn!!!).

Good stuff, can't wait for next eppy.

x5slider

[108]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 3
    oldsage wrote:

One more question...

Does anyone have a transcript for the hybrid's ranting on the base-star? She was saying lots of things there and I think some of it is important.

the excited state decays by vibrational relaxation into the first excited singlet state.
    yes yes and merrily we go.
    reduce atmospheric nitrogen by 0.03%.
    it is not much consolation that society will pick up the bits
    leaving us at ape modern repunishment rather than interdiction is paramount.
    please cut the fuse.
    they will not harm their own.
    end of line.
    Limiting diffusions to two dimensions increases the number of evolutionary jumps within the species.
    rise and measure the temple of the five.
    transformation is the goal.
    they will not harm their own.
    (then as the volume fades out) data fault simulation

Idbeolderifiwas

[109]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 20
    The last 2 lines are especially interesting to me. Transformation is the goal? If this pertains to the final 5, does that mean that their goals were different than the other 7?

123home123

[110]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 56
    I just transcribed the monologue myself too. (I didn't read the new posts on this thread beforehand.) There are a couple of errors in the version previously listed. Here's what I took down, based on both the spoken words and the closed captioning:

The Hybrid:
    The excited state decays by vibrational relaxation into the first excited singlet state. Yes, yes, and merrily we go. Reduce atmospheric nitrogen by 0.03%.
    It is not much consolation that society will pick up the bits, leaving us at eight modern where punishment, rather than interdiction, is paramount.
    Please, cut the fuse. They will not harm their own. End of line.
    Limiting diffusions to two dimensions increases the number of evolutionary jumps within the species.
    Rise and measure the Temple of the Five. Transformation is the goal. They will not harm their own.

I also added it to the episode guide.

Regarding Gina's death in the Cloud Nine explosion, I don't think it mattered that she was killed in a nuclear explosion. In the Miniseries, Caprica Six didn't seem to be concerned where she was when the bombs were falling. She calmly told Baltar that when her body was destroyed, her consciousness would download into a new body. She stated that she can't die.

It's possible that the Cylons were told to avoid dropping any bombs on Baltar's house but war has a way of getting messy, especially when you're wiping out an entire planet. With all of those explosions everywhere, she had to realize that a bomb might go astray and hit Baltar's house. And still she didn't seem to be concerned. Or maybe the writers weren't really thinking of all that at the time.

But I don't think anyone ever mentioned anything about the download process being interrupted by a nuclear explosion. When Gina killed the Marine guard in front of Baltar, she told Baltar that suicide was a sin against God so she asked Baltar to kill her. She said that because the Resurrection Ship had been destroyed that her death would be permanent. That's when Baltar changed her mind and said that what she needed was justice. (Gina took that to mean revenge against Cain.)
    Edited on 04/15/2008 11:06pm

Vincent2013

[111]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 7

123home123 wrote:
    I just transcribed the monologue myself too. (I didn't read the new posts on this thread beforehand.) There are a couple of errors in the version previously listed. Here's what I took down, based on both the spoken words and the closed captioning: The Hybrid: The excited state decays by vibrational relaxation into the first excited singlet state. Yes, yes, and merrily we go. Reduce atmospheric nitrogen by 0.03%. It is not much consolation that society will pick up the bits, leaving us at eight modern where punishment, rather than interdiction, is paramount. Please, cut the fuse. They will not harm their own. End of line. Limiting diffusions to two dimensions increases the number of evolutionary jumps within the species. Rise and measure the Temple of the Five. Transformation is the goal. They will not harm their own.

Okay i guess I will be the first to try to decipher this riddle of craziness. Okay here goes nothing.

"The excited state decays by vibrational relaxation into the first excited singlet state. Yes, Yes, and merrily we go." Maybe they are saying that the centurans current state of betrayel will be lulled into relaxation by the skins and then put back into their original state and continue with there joturney.

"Reduce atmospheric nitrogen by 0.03%" I got nothing

"It is not conslation that society will pick up the bits, leaving us at eight modern where punisnment, rather than interdiction, is paramount." It doesnt make the Cylons feel better that the humans could rebueild society, killing eight models of the 12, as opposed to just banning them.(Wasnt my best)

"Please cut the fuse, they will not harm their own, end of line." Dont create a problem, the five will not harm their own. The end of line seems to be the present and the next lines are the future.

"Limiting diffusions to two dimensions increases the number of evolutionary jumps within the species." This I think could be talking about how Kara and the fleet are seperated and by this action increasing the chances of the humans finding earth.

" Rise and Measure the Temple of the Five. Transformation is the Goal. They will not harm there own" Study the final Five, to become better Cylons, they will not harm their own.

Thats my interpretation, now I dont expect no one to take this as gospel, but I do hope this helped a little.

Also I saw a commercial, and I think it was Natalie telling someone that it was time for all of the 12 models to be together again. Now Im thinking that maybe the sixes, the eights, and the twos will box the ones, fours, and the fives, but will bring them all back including the threes, when they obtain the Final Five.

MrBovineOrdure

[112]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 6

My take: (You know, a good pinned topic could be "Hybrid-Speak")

The excited state decays by vibrational relaxation into the first excited singlet state. Yes, yes, and merrily we go.

Everyone in the Cylon ship appears to be loosing it. A lot of distruptive actions will be taking place within the Cylon community. And like all great disasters, they happly march towards it.

Reduce atmospheric nitrogen by 0.03%.

Base star function. She's just adjusting the ship's atmosphere.

It is not much consolation that society will pick up the bits,

A small lament at the results of the coming violence in the Cylon community.

leaving us at eight modern where punishment, rather than interdiction, is paramount.

A prediction of the comming violence. She's refering to the vote and the killing of the Calvils, Simons, and Dorals. You have the final 5 + The 3 Cylon models left (Deanna, Cavils, Leobens, and Dorals will or have been boxed) That leaves 8 Cylons models.

Please, cut the fuse. They will not harm their own.

I'm not sure about this one. Perhaps the Hybrid is endorsing the coming violence within the Cylon community. The final 5 are the important ones, unlike the 7, they will not harm themselves. (Though they had no problem killing members of the 7)

Another meaning of "They will not harm their own" is that the final 5 still think of themselves as human. Perhaps they won't harm other humans.

End of line.

Just an Homage to the movie; "Tron"

Trying to simplify the plan will make the ultimate goal harder.

Rise and measure the Temple of the Five. Transformation is the goal.

That's the nut of the whole show! The final plan is for them to evolve. This will require humans. They probably recognised that they needed humans to make a perfect race, but first they had to eliminate most of them in an attempt to reduce the potencial for violence. With fewer humans comes a greater ability to control the outcome. They need them. They don't need all of them.

They will not harm their own.

A lament that the final 5 are considered "Perfect" in their world. Perhaps the things the Cylons hate most in humans is their capacity to kill their own. Adama said as much in his speach in the mini-series. Here the 7 have demonstrated this same capacity. The final 5 though will never hurt each other. They're the perfection the rest of the Cylons are trying to aspire to.

Mr BO

Edited on 04/16/2008 5:19am

tripping82

[113]Apr 16, 2008
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:

Trying to simplify the plan will make the ultimate goal harder.

Rise and measure the Temple of the Five. Transformation is the goal.

That's the nut of the whole show! The final plan is for them to evolve. This will require humans. They probably recognised that they needed humans to make a perfect race, but first they had to eliminate most of them in an attempt to reduce the potencial for violence. With fewer humans comes a greater ability to control the outcome. They need them. They don't need all of them.

This raises the question: What's next stage in the Cylon evolution? They go from toaster, to thinking toaster, to cylon hyrid, to skinjob, to human hyrid to ???God?

MrBovineOrdure

[114]Apr 16, 2008

Not so much Gods, but to become a breed that will not kill one and other, and to be able to reproduce offspring that won't harm their own. To insure that future generations don't war with each other.

Balancing the best attributes of the 7, the 5 and the Humans. (and they have a plan)

Trouble is, I think that down the line they won't be able to do this. Evolution = Survival = The capacity to murder. They are chasing windmills. If after all this death and destruction, they might realize this again, stop seeking perfection for a little while, but some suceeding generation will make the same mistake all over again. (All this has happened before and will happen again)

One important question is how the Sixes, Sharons, and Leobens got the fact that the 5 are among the humans from that speach. Perhaps there were some hybrid-statements that were off-screen

Mr BO

Edited on 04/16/2008 7:42am
    Edited 3 total times.

crito84

[115]Apr 16, 2008
    It was probably something they just didn't show. I can't imagine anything in the hybrid's statements that would make them think the five are in the fleet. Also, I always took the "They will not harm their own" to mean that the Raiders and Centurians recognize the five and won't fight against them. Isn't that what Cavil and Natalie were argueing about? How the Raiders refuse to fight because that one recognized one of the five within the fleet.

hazelnut144

[116]Apr 16, 2008
    I think it has the possibility of being either one of those interpretations. It could also mean that they won't harm those that they perceive as their own - humans.

This could be actually somewhat literal. People have brought up the Adam and Eve possibility before; that could somewhat fit.

Random thing that I noticed while watching Crossroads II is that in the "We're all cylons" scene, Anders' leg is still looking pretty bad, but then in the premiere, he's flying a Viper, and looks to be walking just fine. It's been established before (Hand of God) that flying a viper with a messed up leg is liable to be deadly. And the beginning of season four is right after the end of season three, so right after we see him limping around. Why didn't he end up as a pile of mush to be hosed out of the cockpit? I mean I guess they had to get him out there so the raider could scan him, but I'd just gotten used to this show being so good about injuries and the like. They don't just disappear like they never happened between episodes.

MrBovineOrdure

[117]Apr 16, 2008

It could be explained away. Kara broke her knee (and the scene that showed it was pretty brutal. A nice CRUNCH when her kneecap hit that rock) which not only reduced the strength, but mobililty.

Did Anders actually break his leg or just sprain it? Plus we don't know how badly or what part of his leg was hurt. He just did a drunken dive onto the deck.

Then again, I agree. If he was hobbling around, (less than an hour before he walked normally onto the flight deck) you'd think the strength wasn't there and he shouldn't be flying a Viper.

But it was Adama's order to get everyone available in the cockpit. I guess when your facing certain death of the whole fleet, you'll make an exception or two.

Mr BO

Edited on 04/16/2008 1:11pm
    Edited 4 total times.

crito84

[118]Apr 16, 2008
    That's what I always figured about that part. They needed everyone who could fly out there and fighting so naturally, injured or no, Anders was going out. Kinda sucks for him if his leg still hurt though, but I'm guessing his mind was occupied with other issues

hazelnut144

[119]Apr 16, 2008
    Well yeah, Kara screwed up her knee...and then she couldn't fly for quite a few episodes. Like I don't think we saw her in a viper again really till second season. And Adama was doing the whole weights thing with her in Hand of God, and basically saying that "If you can't support and hold this weight for 10 seconds then you will end up as a pile of good" And if you think about it, if Anders wasn't fit enough to be flying vipers unless it was an emergency, that means he wouldn't have ever been on a flight before, so he would be injured, and on his first try in a viper. Which I would say is a pretty good recipe for disaster.

MrBovineOrdure

[120]Apr 16, 2008

Which it may have been, but not due to his leg.....

Mr BO