Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Someone to Watch Over Me" (spoilers) (2/27/09)

How would you rate this episode?

123home123

[1]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 55
    It seems that this episode will finally address the burning issue of what Kara's real identity is. Also, Boomer's uneasy role in Cylon and human societies will be addressed.

This will be the 7th episode of Season 4.5, with only 4 more episodes after this one.
    Edited on 02/27/2009 7:01pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Invader_of_53

[2]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 7
    It seems that piano from "Deadlock" will play a good role, but don't count out its player, despite appearing onscreen as little more than a blurry background character.

It's not just because of the promo for episode and a picture at YouWillKnowTheTruth, but I came across some fairly loose spoilers that tell me there's to be a musician character (who may or may not be named Slick), as well as some promotional images (that I wish weren't watermarked because I'd not seen most of them before) for the next episode that show Kara and the Piano Man getting along quite swimingly. Now, what significance there is to this character and his piano, I have no idea, but cannot wait to get some answer about Kara's return. Though I suspect Leoben's comment in "Faith" about some people being more inclinded to hear music may have been more than just a red herring for the Final Cylon.

Bricriu333

[3]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 10
    I can't wait to see what's up with Kara! She's my favourite character! Hopefully things turn out well!

ebony_kunoichi

[4]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 13
    i cant wait for this episode and nice banner ^^^, I love Xena and Aires!

scififan12921

[5]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 6
    My bet is on the piano player being Daniel and Daddy for Kara. I hope they clear that up because it's been driving me a little batty.

ISpeakTheTruth

[6]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 33
    I think the previews sort of hint at the idea of Kara being Daniel afterall it showed a litle girl playing the piano and when she was turned around we see a quick glimps of 'Kara's dead face' from her Viper crash.

Put two and two together and is screams that she's either Daniel or Daniels daughter though I'm leaning heavily towards the latter.

BHSWorkstation

[7]Feb 24, 2009
    • level: 4

I can't help but notice the posts so far focus on the revelations about Starbuck. That also caught my attention at first. The more I thought about it, however, I became interested in the quick shot of the explosion. I ran it frame by frame but still couldn't identify exactly what part of the ship it was. It seemed to me that it was a very sizable explosion along the side of the Galactica and it appeared to come from within the ship. Could it be something to do with Cylon work on the hull. Are the large fractures finally giving? Can anyone identify exactly what part of the ship is being affected?

I'm also curious about the 8 who is attacked. I assumed it was Boomer in the brig. Later, however, we see her bloodied face while she is being held and comforted by someone. But the man holding her appeared to be wearing a flightsuit so I assume it is Helo and not Tyrol. Could it be that Athena was the one who was attacked as anti-Cylon prejudice grows?

hoobydictator

[8]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 4
    BHSWorkstation wrote:

I can't help but notice the posts so far focus on the revelations about Starbuck. That also caught my attention at first. The more I thought about it, however, I became interested in the quick shot of the explosion. I ran it frame by frame but still couldn't identify exactly what part of the ship it was. It seemed to me that it was a very sizable explosion along the side of the Galactica and it appeared to come from within the ship. Could it be something to do with Cylon work on the hull. Are the large fractures finally giving? Can anyone identify exactly what part of the ship is being affected?

The Canadian trailer seems to give the impression that it's a ship hitting the outside. There's Hotdog in a Viper begging someone "don't do it" followed by the back end of a ship and then some internal shots of the effects of an explosion. But then it could just be the way it's edited.

Invader_of_53

[9]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 7
    I'm so far after rebellion that I'd to wager that Daniel has nothing to do with any of the events that have transpired since the show began. At the very least, I don't believe he has anything to do with Kara. If he did, I don't think we'd be hearing about him so close to the finish. As far as I feel, we won't be seeing Number Seven post-death or maybe even hearing any more about him. In other words, he's as dead as Billy.

As of this writing, the episode will air in less than 30 minutes. I'm eager to see how my precognitive/detective skills are.

seantuck

[10]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 8
    This was such an amazing episode, very upsetting though. It was a huge improvement over last weeks episode by far. I had tears welled up in my eyes almost throughout the whole episode. This is one of my favorite BSG episodes from this season.

ISpeakTheTruth

[11]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 33

OK, well this was a very good episode and more to the point it felt like we're finally on our way towards the finale instead of it feeling like a normal episode. I have to say this one thing and I think it was a rather blatent foreshadowing of things to be revealed but now I'm curtain Liam is in Anders now.

Tigh said "The little guy was looking at the me whole time"

Look me in the eye and tell me that wasn't the shows little way of saying it was Tigh's son looking at him.

I really didn't see what Boomer did coming at all and I have to say... her and Ellen had to have talked about how they were going to be class A b#tches when they got off that raptor.

my1sunshine

[12]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 12
    Well, we didn't find out as much about Kara as we thought... but it was still very nice, and put her well on the way to finding out what's up with herself. I have a feeling that little nugget isn't gonna be revealed until the end. I now think my Athena thread was a waste of time. But I'm thinking of an opera house now. And what about Laura? I'll wait to se what happens on the forum before I post more. But I have a feeling this thread is gonna get pretty hefty before next Friday.

MajLorne

[13]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 21
    Agreed, tonight's episode was very good. And anyone catch the old BSG theme rift being played on the piano? Now that's a nice touch!

I won't say much more since maybe it's too early to say much about the episode. And let everyone else say it anyway

my1sunshine

[14]Feb 27, 2009
    Yeah! It's the fanfare for the main theme, called "Exploration". Nice nod to Stu Phillips there, one of a few in the show. And how about the Tauron "Felgekarb" toothpaste? Another nod to the old. That was the other swear word in the origial along with Frak. Moore didn't want to use "Felgerkarb". Good decision. ( by the way, I've never been good at the spelling of that word. I've seen it spelled several ways, including "Feldergarb", which I always thought was phoneticly incorrect. Anyone catch the spelling on the tube? It's this week's auction item.

hazelnut144

[15]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 8
    Pretty awesome episode, though definitely didn't answer as many questions as the last couple. I really liked the Kara montage at the beginning. It was a really nice way to show how much time was passing in just a completely routine way, just looking for somewhere to live, but having no directions etc. Kara's playing All Along the Watchtower was insane too. I did not see that coming until it actually turned into it. Hera is still creepy. Was I the only one who was expecting her to pull something crazy in that Raptor at the end? And did Roslin just die? That would be kind of interesting and shocking. I doubt it though.

Boomer was good...I didn't even suspect her until she took Hera. I mean even when she beat up Athena, I figured she was just trying to get away, and yeah she shouldn't have beat up Athena or had sex with Helo, but I could accept it if it was all just an act to get herself away so she wouldn't be killed. Now the question is did she take Hera so that Cavil would accept her back, or was it their plan all along? Chief is going to be really messed up now though. Also, thanks to her, Galactica is even more likely to fall apart. Nice touch with all the power outages.

Did anyone catch how they made a point of referring to both Anders' and Liam's eyes being open? It seemed like a very random detail...connection? Sam's readings did go crazy right about when Liam died did they not?

Jericho_Rules

[16]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 2
    Kara playing All Along the Watchtower gave me chills, as I didn't see it coming until she actually started playing it. My reaction was similar to Tigh's. Haha.

Cartman86

[17]Feb 28, 2009

Great episode. 3 awesome moments

- Kara at the beginning getting ready. Very interesting and the kind of exploration of sci-fi I like to see (realistic aspects).

- Boomer's betrayal

- Kara playing the song in the bar. Pretty much all the acting up to that point and including it really touched me.

Pendragon_

[18]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 3

That's an interesting point about the eyes being open. I assumed all along that Anders "died" in his head and downloaded (even if there supposedly isn't resurrection) but the idea that Liam might have downloaded into Anders vacated brain space would be interesting.

I also have a new theory about the origin of Kara. If you remember we now know there was another cylon model that had it's gene pool corrupted out of jealousy. Don't forget the "Simons" were artists, what if the model isn't quite as extinct as they thought it was. If you accept that, then the idea of Kara's father, the piano playing obsessive, who just happened to teach Kara the song that seems to drive 4/5 a little batty might just have been one of the Simons? It would also make slightly more sense of Kara's apparent special destiny and resurrection, because Simon would have been in a perfect position to both manipulate/program Kara as a child and perhaps even set up some kind of auxiliary resurrection just for her. Since the Simon's "death" he could well have been manipulating quite a lot of things, given no one accept a few remembered him, heck maybe he even faked his death!

Edit: This would of course suggest Kara is a half cylon assuming Simon was her father.

Edited on 02/28/2009 4:42am

tommy0122

[19]Feb 28, 2009
    Unlike most everyone else, I thought this was another slow moving episode, with the exception of a couple of moments. This would be fine if the show wasn't ending soon. With only 3 more to go, the writers are going to have to pack a lot into them. I'm a little worried that they are going to let BSG just wind down slowly and end as a big disappointment.

zukiki

[20]Feb 28, 2009

This was a really great episode, In terms of writting, acting, development, everything... Unfortunately, I won't be able to appreciate this episode until after the series is over, cause throughout the entire episode the one thing that kept going through my mind was: When are they going to start answering some Gods damn questions!

Personally, I hope Daniel isn't Kara's father, and that the Pianist this week was in fact was Daniel. Unfortunately with Kara's father's sudden abandonment when she was just a child, this could be a clue as it might coincide with Daniel's destruction by Cavil.