TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Someone to Watch Over Me" (spoilers) (2/27/09)

How would you rate this episode?

rslade70

[21]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 8
    I agree, slow moving, but some points I did take away from the episode....

-There was no one playing the piano, that was in Kara's head

-Daniel - ok, a lot of discussion on him. One of 2 senarios. Daniel is either Kara's "father" or Daniel is Kara.

-Daniel could be Kara. As we find out in the end, the piano player is never really there, Kara is the only one seeing him (perhaps a reflections of herself?)

-I actually think Daniel is Kara's "father". I quote that term to mean either he is her adoptive father, her biological father, or he created her. My guess is that he created/built her. I think Hera is unique and Kara is not a hybrid. It was said all along that Daniel was a artist. Musically he taught his daughter how to play the piano and she was remembering. He one day left (thus being boxed). At first when she was playing the song, I thought...well, there is a cassette tape with his name so everyone on Caprica could have known this song.....but then changed my mind realizing this could be a "home-made" cassette and no one but the 5 knew this song since it was Daniel's. Perhaps Daniel was much more creative than we thought. Maybe he created more than one Kara, perhaps a version of him escaped and went to earth where Kara went and died and he downloaded her memories into a new version of herself.....The ship...How do we explained the new ship...that is my stick in the mud. She was gone a few months, perhaps a new one was just simply built. Just throwing around some guesses from the episode
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

luckycharm222

[22]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 10
    i kinda agree. i mean it all seems like it would mesh well together the fact that kara's father was a piano player and then so the 7th model of cylons a.k.a daniel. i really wish that they had cleared that up because i can't wait.

luckycharm222

[23]Feb 28, 2009
    this was another really great episode and outstanding i mean the fact the song the final five have been hearing is the one that Kara's father thought her how to play is just really unexpected and good story telling. i really can't wait till we find out more of how the story will end. also the fact that even though Chief Tyrol loved Bommer she ended up betraying him, the human race and the rebel cylons once again by stealing Hera really makes me want to know what is going to happen next. the main point here is that i want to know how everything works out. why starbuck is alive when she found her body dead on earth?, why her father was the one that played the song that activated the final five?, who was Starbuck's father? is it Daniel?, will they find Hera? will anders wake up? and when/if he does what secrets will he bring with him? i have question and i need them to be answered, i hope they get answered in these last three episodes. at the same time however i don't want Battlestar Galactica to end, but at least it will end the way it was meant to end.

CBP1970

[24]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 3

I believe the kidnapping of Hera by Boomer was planned by Cavil. I think he knew he couldn't force Helen into giving him the technology for resurection so he hatched a plan to kidnap Hera as a bargaining chip with the final 5 and rebel cylons. Hera for the Resurection technology. As for Kara, I'm on the fench, she could be the child of Daniel or Daniel himself but in a new form due to the problems Cavil caused.

The Chief must really be going crazy, he knocked out that cylon to take Boomer's place in the brig, helped her escape and then finds out she attacked Athena and kidnapped Hera. I guess jumping using FTL causes vacuum in space like a mini blackhole as the Raptor didn't hit the ship but jumped so close to it that the vacuum pulled part of the hull away causing the explosions etc.

KillswitchEdge

[25]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 5

I wish I knew where I could download the song Kara and "Daniel" played, preferably a full length version. Does anyone know if it's been released at all on an OST or anything? If so, what's the piece called? Anyone know please?

Other than that, great episode, Tigh's face when she started playing it was priceless!

EDIT: I've just realised it's a rearranged version of All Along the Watchtower. Wish I could find THAT version though, it's incredible.

Edited on 02/28/2009 11:18am
    Edited 2 total times.

kiryna

[26]Feb 28, 2009
    Well, we are assuming that Ellen was right when she thought Cavil messed up with the Daniels out of jelaously towards her.

Perhaps she was just being self-centered. This is a lot like her.

I'm wondering if one of the Daniels really loved a human and got to reproduce, resulting in Kara's birth. So Cavil decided to end the Daniels' line because he wanted Cylons to keep being machines. Or just because he couldn't have children of his own.

Also, I don't think Kara's vision was really her father, even if Daniel was actually her father. I think she was having a vision of the same "power" (or whatever you want to name it) Baltar's always seeing in the shape of a Six, and Caprica used to see in the shape of Baltar. Those visions has to be conected with Hera somehow, and with the strange song the final five listened.

Raven-22

[27]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 2

kiryna wrote:
    Well, we are assuming that Ellen was right when she thought Cavil messed up with the Daniels out of jelaously towards her. Perhaps she was just being self-centered. This is a lot like her. I'm wondering if one of the Daniels really loved a human and got to reproduce, resulting in Kara's birth. So Cavil decided to end the Daniels' line because he wanted Cylons to keep being machines. Or just because he couldn't have children of his own. Also, I don't think Kara's vision was really her father, even if Daniel was actually her father. I think she was having a vision of the same "power" (or whatever you want to name it) Baltar's always seeing in the shape of a Six, and Caprica used to see in the shape of Baltar. Those visions has to be conected with Hera somehow, and with the strange song the final five listened.

Yes, I totally agree!!!!

seantuck

[28]Feb 28, 2009
    rslade70 wrote:
    I agree, slow moving, but some points I did take away from the episode....

-There was no one playing the piano, that was in Kara's head

-Daniel - ok, a lot of discussion on him. One of 2 senarios. Daniel is either Kara's "father" or Daniel is Kara.

-Daniel could be Kara. As we find out in the end, the piano player is never really there, Kara is the only one seeing him (perhaps a reflections of herself?)

You bring up a good point with the piano player being a reflection of herself seeing as in a few shots there was a mirror next to her reflecting herself while she talked to him. It would make sense!

Hungry_Homer111

[29]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 26
    A great episode. Huge step up from the last one. A few others have mentioned how slow this episode was, and I do agree that it was slow, but it did give us some big answers, and got us one big step closer to the end.

I loved the whole Starbuck with the piano player, and how it turned out to be her dad (or a vision of him), and presumably Daniel (how else would he know about the song?). Which means that Starbuck herself is probably half-Cylon. It will be interesting to see where they go with her character from here, and see if that somehow relates to her being brought back to life, and the "Harbinger of Death."

Also really liked Boomer's story. Loved the way that they played with the relationship between her and Tyrol, with their dream house. Also loved how it turned out that it was all a plan of Cavil's to get Hera. Wonder what he plans to do with her. Probably has something to do with the fact that she obviously knows more about the Cylons than even she realizes. I wonder how she knew what the song was, or if she even did know. It could have been part of her subconscious.

I'm a bit torn, because I don't want the show to end, but at the same time, I can't wait to see the rest.

satnam99

[30]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 16

Awesome ep. I just hope they can properly fit the answers to all the questions they are raising in the last few episodes.....along with all the other questions raised throughout the series....

Also, did nobody notice kara talking to herself? i might have to watch the ep back again but i am pretty sure there were people in the bar when she was supposedly talking to the pianist.

I think the song played throughout the episode on the piano is on the season 3 OST. I think it is called "battlestar sonatica". of course it morphs into a modified all along the watchtower at the end.

Hungry_Homer111

[31]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 26
    satnam99 wrote:

Awesome ep. I just hope they can properly fit the answers to all the questions they are raising in the last few episodes.....along with all the other questions raised throughout the series....

Also, did nobody notice kara talking to herself? i might have to watch the ep back again but i am pretty sure there were people in the bar when she was supposedly talking to the pianist.

I think the song played throughout the episode on the piano is on the season 3 OST. I think it is called "battlestar sonatica". of course it morphs into a modified all along the watchtower at the end.

Yeah, wasn't the bartender right behind her when she was talkign to him? Let alone anybody else in the bar.

Ajclannachan

[32]Feb 28, 2009

I believe Daniel is still alive and that Kara is his daughter. I believe after Cavel tried to kill him he left for earth and had a kid. Maybe he saw the end comming with Cavel in charge and then left Caprica for Earth to see where the Final five came from. I wouldnt be suprised if it was Daniel who is pulling strings from behind the curtain. Reactivating the final five and when the time is right he will be the one to rescue Herra and reviel what he has been doing. Anders will probably wake up and Daniel will reviel a new Earth like planet they can live on in peace with a half human half cylon race. He probably still has working cylon reserection and thats how he will get back Herra only for it to be destroyed with Cavel and his cylon friends. Leaving everyone else to start a new life on New Earth.

I think Starbuck was experiencing cylon projection and thats why she saw the guy playing and ended up playing Herra's notes

kiryna

[33]Feb 28, 2009
    Hungry_Homer111 wrote:
    It will be interesting to see where they go with her character from here, and see if that somehow relates to her being brought back to life, and the "Harbinger of Death."

Maybe she already was the "Harbinger of Death", if her birth caused the death of all Daniel's line.

That was me pitying Starbuck. I just think she bears so much pain, I don't want see her getting more hurt because she is going to cause the death of someone -or everyone.

Pendragon_

[34]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 3

Wasn't Kara's mother convinced that she might be evil, which is why she was so hard in driving her to her special destiny? That would make more sense if she suspected she had some kind of cylon origin. I agree that Daniel might not have been her father in a "biological" sense, but after this episode I would be surprised if he hasn't set something in motion that related to Kara.

I think the aircraft can be explained because as they said it was an exact twin to Kara's real craft but was completely new as if it had just come from the factory or never been used, it doesn't seem unreasonable that Daniel (or whoever is the master manipulator) would be able to set something like this up to give Kara a way to turn if she "died".

That's an interesting thought about the similarity between the visions and the piano player. If they are coming from the same source that would imply Daniel has been very busy indeed for an apparently extinct model!

Edit: In response to those that felt this episode felt a little slow I would probably have to agree. About half way through I was wondering when they were going to start getting the the point, but the ending made the episode really worth it for me and the character development whilst subtle felt very meaningful and poignant. For example chiefs reconciliation with boomer knowing that they had both been cylons made the way boomer betrayed him and got revenge on Athena all the more shattering. I also like the way they slowly built up the scenes between Kara and the pianist which were confusing at first, but then answered a lot of questions.

Edited on 02/28/2009 1:21pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Xaviersx

[35]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 11

It was a good episode with some real provoking moments and intense points:

Kara's father and the piano player who really wasn't there, the turmoil that Bummer creates when we (me) love Athena but want to put a cap in Bummer's head (it's hard to know which twin to hate in the family or in this case sleep with), how the four of the final five seem so loss and utterly human with one of their own at death's door, the ship coming apart at the seems yet struggling not to give up on its crew even as the cylons slave away shoring her up.

It all makes me feel that by the end of this series, I'll look back on this entire run as sci-fi/drama genius. I already love it, but it will be so clear by the end. And yes, it does seem to be slowing down action wise, I'd wonder if revelation will be quiet or thunderous.

24Titan

[36]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 13
    Just wanna say that the reveal of the piano piece as All Along the Watchtower was one of the coolest moments in the show. Ever.

BHSWorkstation

[37]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 4

Now that was a good return to form. I think it successfully did what the previous episode tried to but failed. It did have a nice slow burn that made me wonder if anything significant was going to happen at first. Then it kept building to a breath-taking climax for each of the two stories (Starbuck's piano playing and Boomer's escape). Most importantly, both stories had a believable progression and were emotionally compelling. I think the real reason this episode was so successufl while the previous two were not was that the audience could believe what was happening and could care about the characters. Is there anyone out there that didn't want to put a shot in the back of Boomer's head before she took off with Hera?

I also liked that although this episode didn't answer any questions, it directly laid the groundwork for them to be answered very soon. We might not know exactly what Starbuck is, but we have some huge clues - I am going with those that think Daniel was her father. The connection between Anders and Liam seems pretty obvious. Perhaps most importantly, the long-ignored destiny of Hera has been set in motion. It seems rather clear to me that the struggle for Hera and whatever destiny she portends will drive much of the final episodes. No doubt that is what is going to bring Cavil back into the conflict and set up the final show down.

Oh, and this episode also seemed to put the final nails in the coffin of Galactica. After Boomer ran the FTL along Galactica, it seems that no amout of repairs is going to be able to fix her now.

SleepTight

[38]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 36
    Awesome episode, one of my favorites of the show

danharr

[39]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 45
    Wow that got interesting real quick even though I enjoy a nice plodding story but I didn't expect any action in this one. The ending with Chief breaking Sharon out, Hera being stolen, Kara hallucinating, the death of Rosalyn maybe, and the death of Galactica. The ending was perfect and I can't wait to see what happens if they find out Chief was responsible which I can't see how they wouldn't.

MetaLuna

[40]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 5

I thought certain things were pretty clear. First, I think they just made it pretty irrefutable that Daniel is Kara's father. It explains why she knows how to play All Along the Watchtower, where Earth is, why she had visions of all these landmarks on the way to Earth, where her father went when he "disappeared", why she resurrected, why her mother simultaneously hated her and said she had a destiny, AND why Leoben is so completely fascinated with her. I'm guessing Anders knows these things, and in fact designed Daniel. (Why would Ellen be the only one to design a Cylon?) I thought it was kind of obvious. I'm surprised there's so much dissent here.

Second, I'm surprised that no one caught the whole Boomer-Tyrol storyline as being a pretty clear explanation of what Head Six is all about. A Cylon can project onto someone else. "Caprica" must have basically permanently projected herself onto Baltar. She clearly fixated on Baltar, and after all, once Boomer projected onto Tyrol, he was able to do it again without her later. So it makes sense that's what's happening with Baltar now.

Come on, guys. This isn't "Lost". The writers aren't trying to trick you. I disagree with the whole Anders-Liam thing because it seems too vague and nonsensical - why, after all, would a newborn be able to or need to "download" into Anders? What sense does that make? As much as a smoke monster and a polar bear on a tropical island, I guess, but as I said. This isn't "Lost."