Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion - "Sometimes a Great Notion" (1/16/09)(Spoilers)

How would you rate this episode?

psychickiller

[1]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 9
    With four days away, and the last webisode (ever!) officialy out, I think it's about time to throw in a new episode discussion.

Spoilers are permitted on this thread, so following its broadcast feel free to discuss about anything related. If you havn't watched it yet, you might want to stay away. I havn't heard of any preview planned on SciFi for the episode, but if there is one, be careful not to spoil anything before the episode if out.

[Poll added by editor.]
    Edited on 01/16/2009 8:54pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[2]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 55
    Hard to believe the long wait is finally over (almost). Just a few more hours now. I haven't seen any of the Season 4.0 episodes in several months so I might catch some of the repeats airing on the Sci Fi Channel right now. At the very least, I need to rewatch "Revelations" at 9 pm, just before the new episode airs.

peprmpati

[3]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 10
    At 22:59:44 will we will find out who the Final Cylon is.

wedgeantilles54

[4]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 12

Well lots of people seem to have massive issues now, but considering what they found its not to suprising
    I love how starbuck tried to tell Lee what she had learned about herself but stopped short when she found that Dee had killed herself. Now i really want to know that the deal with the vipers is or how they are gona explain it.

And the thriteenth tribe being cylons is an interesting twist too.

I also love the flashbacks and the revelation at the end.

Eric10301

[5]Jan 16, 2009
    I don't think Tighs wife is the final 5 but just an older looking number 6, which explains why Ty kept having those weird flashes where he saw the 6 as his wife.

zukiki

[6]Jan 16, 2009

Overall I think I liked the episode, but I definitely felt the effects of a 7 month break between eps and ultimately the anticipation I had could never really be fulfilled regards of what they did.

I didn't like the Dee literally only had 2 lines in the first half od the season and then all of a sudden she was in every scene. It made her death way too obvious, but other than that I think they handled her death well.

At first I thought it was weird that Leoben wasn't acting weird in a bad way, but after awhile I kinda liked it. And Kara finding herself was pretty chilling.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 13th tribe being all cylons, and on a side note, since when can they identify cylons based on skeletal remains. Normally I'm not one to nitpick on the technical stuff, and I'm glad they got to the point of the matter w/o long drawn out explanations, but it just struck me as being "off". How does this make sense in terms of the final five? Was all of earth inhabited by 5 models of human cylons or do they only count towards the 12 models cause they were the only ones to come to the colonies from earth.

And then there's Ellen...Ultimately it's a bit of a let down cause her being a cylon doesn't really have a whole lot of impact on the show, but of the possible candidates she's one of the better choices, so I think I'm happy with it.

I'm probably gonna need to watch this again for some of this the really sink in.

buffyTVSrox

[7]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 33
    Say, remember when they first found Ellen and brought her onboard Galactica and some of them suspected she was a cylon...

Also, wow, the people of Earth were all cylons as well! Does this give me the right to start referring to everyone I know as "frakking toasters" in my best impression of a drunk Saul Tigh? A whole bunch of answers leading us to a whole lot more questions, with the revelations about the thirteenth tribe and Kara and her viper and the final cylon, but all the wondering about how it all started and how it all ended up like this and how the final five are still around but didn't know they were cylons and what on Earth (or anywhere in the universe) is Kara if Starbuck as we knew her is dead in a crashed viper? My head is going crazy.

silvermoon88

[8]Jan 16, 2009
    So i like the idea that tigh's wife is an older six because that means she's not the last cylon. I hate that earth was a planet of cylons. I didn't expect it to be easy once they got to earth but i didn't expect that it was a nightmare. Starbuck is my favourite character so seeing her dead body was horrible i really hope they have a good explaination besides making her a cylon or making her a clone or dead. I REALLY HOPE THIS IS THE LOW PART OF THE SHOW AND THINGS ONLY GET BETTER/HAPPIER

Spillsthewax

[9]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 5
    Looks like "Time Travel" has arrived at BSG. This could convolute things, but I couldn't be more pleased with this episode. Helen Tigh, the final cylon? Number 3, DeAnna saw the final five. So only she can confirm? The final cylon doesn't seem clear cut yet with the "Starbuck" thing. Her "body" wasn't 2000 years old. Looked about 3-4 months old. Which fits her timeline disappearence.

ICE0ne

[10]Jan 16, 2009
    during tyrol's flashback they hid all the faces except one blond woman. i didn't get a good enough look to recognize her, did anyone?

seantuck

[11]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 8
    That was so fraking satisfying! I loved every single moment! The only downfall is now having to wait for the next episode because I want to see it right now!

zukiki

[12]Jan 16, 2009

Spillsthewax wrote:
    Looks like "Time Travel" has arrived at BSG.

Time Travel?...Did I miss something?

123home123

[13]Jan 16, 2009
    I thought this was a great episode and a spectacular start to the last set of episodes. I think the final Cylon is actually Ellen and that she isn't just an older version of Number Six. Why would Number Six age but none of the other Final Five?

I wasn't expecting the 13th Tribe to be Cylons at all. As for how they could tell, we've already seen Baltar come up with some sort of biological test in previous episodes that let him differentiate between human and Cylon tissue. The exact differences haven't been explained. At this point, the definition is getting a little fuzzy but we'll probably have more details in the upcoming episodes.

They did signal Dee's suicide by featuring her in the "Previously on" segment. Just like Cally, the character disappeared for many of the previous episodes. Then when she dies, she plays a major role in that episode. But I still wasn't expecting her to shoot herself when she did. I thought maybe she had turned the corner when she went on the date with Lee.

The episode was threatening to turn into one of the most despairing and bleak episodes in TV history but there was a small glimmer of hope at the end when Adama pulled himself together and started the Colonial fleet on a new quest. If not for that new mission, this truly would have been going where no one (or no TV show) had gone before.

An administrative note: I'm going to edit the first post and add the usual poll to the thread, unless there are objections for some reason. I won't edit any of the text of the message.

danharr

[14]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 45
    Great episode I liked everything about it including the continuing mystery. They're leaving Earth but the questions continue and I had the time paradox thought as well but thanks to an earlier poster. Pointing out Starbucks corpse still being there proves she was there long after 2000 years. I can't wait to see the explanation and I agree that Ellen wasn't the 5th but the promos say otherwise unless it's a curveball. Real surprise with Dualla you may say you knew she was going to die but blowing her brains out after a nice date I'm not afraid to admit I didn't see that coming.

Spillsthewax

[15]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 5
    Time Travel?...Did I miss something? I guess. I don't know how else to explain Starbuck.She flew into a Nebula or some such thing, exploded. Found Earth while dead. Shows back up alive to guide the fleet to earth only to find her own dead body 4 month later. And it wasn't 2000 years old.

my1sunshine

[16]Jan 16, 2009
    Okay... wow. Just.. wow. More happened in this one episode then has happened in a past single season of the show. I need to let it sink in, and maybe watch it again. But.. Starbuck, the thirteenth, Dee.. the Fifth.. Bill and Saul.. the visions of the Five's past... wow. Okay, so.. things may seem convoluted, too easy.. anti-climactic... etc, whatever.. but you cna't tell me you're not hooked into seeing what happens next, and next, and next. I know I am. So, I'm gonna suspend disbelf and let Ron, Dave, and the show take me for a ride, and shut up. Whatever happens next, it sure as hell isn't going to be boring! BSG is back with a bang!

123home123

[17]Jan 16, 2009
    I'm kind of glad they didn't drag on the "what happened to Earth?" question and the identity of the 13th Tribe, and just took care of it all in one episode. And now the Fleet is moving on. But as you said, there are still so many questions, about Kara, about Ellen, how the Final Five were reborn. And we still have yet to see Cavil in Season 4.5. He's out there with his base ships.

By the way, did anyone catch the reference to The Planet of the Apes? Here's the allusion I just added to the guide:

Kara asks why Leoben is suddenly afraid of the truth. Leoben says to Kara, "I've got a feeling. You might not like what you find." In the famous sci-fi movie The Planet of the Apes, the orangutan scientist Dr. Zaius issues a similar warning to George Taylor (played by Charlton Heston) about searching for the truth. "Don't look for it, Taylor. You may not like what you find."

tguedry82

[18]Jan 16, 2009

That was exactly the welcome back I was expecting! You know, I didn't get into this show for the longest time, even though my husband begged me for a long time. Now that I am a full blown BSG fan, I don't think there is a show out there that I watch or have ever watched that has shocked me as much as this one does. This last episode only made me wish that I could have been there from the beginning to be shocked by every shocking moment for the 1st time when it was fresh for everyone else!

I actually didn't see Dee's suicide coming at all. My first thought after she picked up the toys and cried, and then her scenes with Hera, I thought "oh man, she's pregnant" Which would have been a cool storyline being that they haven't really had any babies born that we've met that wern't Cylon. I know, she and Lee probably hadn't had sex in a long time for this to have happened, but actually I don't think it's been an impossibly long time so that was my original thought. Man though, she was so happy, and then for the next 20 mins all I could say was Holy ****.

Kara's find was unfortunately not completly shocking because I had read a few spoilers. It was still as chilling as I'd expected, and I'm not quiet sure where it will lead to, so at least there's that. Also, Leoben's reaction to it was crazy! This guy that has been obsessed with her for so long wasn't even sure what he was looking at anymore! Great acting, just great!

Adama and Roslin's breakdowns also amazing. Even though it was not a funny moment, Adama's response to Lee's question as to why Dee would do it, "I don't frackin' know" was a bit funny for me. What's funnier is that it took Saul, the Cylon to pull him back together. And of course, his realization at the end that Ellen is the 5th...I too like the idea that she is actually an older 6. It would make so much since as to why he was so connected to the 6 in the brig and it would give us something to look forward to later in these final episodes as to who the real final cylon is. Even if that's not the case, and she truely is it, I'm pretty satisfied! It was surprising enough, and it still leaves something in the air if she's still out there somewhere, perhaps on the planet they will eventually find for home...

All in all, a great episode to start the end off with! If this is what they throw at us in the beginning, I can't wait to see how they are going to conclude it.

serenity01

[19]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 15

Okay I'm gonna start with Dee. I knew something major was going to happen with her since she suddenly was everywhere. At first I was trying to figure out if she was singing "All Along the Watchtower", but the whole bullet to the brain was completely unexpected. Afterwards though I thought about it and it kinda made sense. She was completely broken when they found Earth, and being with Lee made her happy and she didn't want to lose that feeling. But it was still unexpected.

Now on to Bill Adama, the breakdown, it was coming and Dee's death was the last straw. Earth was not what anyone expected, then Roslin goes nuts because of Earth, then Dee's suicide. He was bound to breakdown eventually, and luckily Tigh was there to bring him out. It was a nice way to rekindle their friendship. Tigh and Adama have such a long history, and to have something like Tigh being a cylon come between that friendship would be ashame. So that confrontation was a turning point in their relationship, which was nice.

The visions, I loved the visions that the final 4 had on Earth. Although Tori never really had one of her own. Tyrol's reminded me of the miniseries, being in the market brought me back to Caprica. As well the fact that the nuke seemed to be completely unanticipated, goes back to the cyclical nature of the show. Anders' was simple, he remembered a song, good job. Tigh's was interesting.

With Tigh's vision a lot of interesting questions come up. I can see and argument for Ellen being an older version of a Six because they made a point of Tigh seeing Ellen in the Six that he got pregnant. But I don't like that idea, all other cylons don't seem to age at all, so how can Ellen be an old Six. Ellen being the final cylon is interesting, but nothing really special in terms of the overall show and characters. If she is it's mainly just a jumping off point to how the final 5 got into the colonies, and it would follow the idea that the final cylon is not in the fleet, because well she's dead.

The 13th colony as a cylon colony was completely expected, or at least to me. And since they can tell the difference between human and cylon blood, in theory they should be able to get bone marrow from the bones found on Earth and be able to determine whether they were cylons or humans.

Kara, Kara, Kara. Finding your own dead body, that would be awkward. This leads to more questions as to what or who Kara is. If that is her dead in her viper, who is the one alive in the fleet and how did she get there. If we think of the universe as cyclical it could stand to reason that someone knew that Kara would crash on Earth and would be prepared for that, even if that meant creating another Kara and viper. Then there was Leoban's change towards her, suddenly it's all changed. I just really want to know what was going through his head when he saw that body and knew it was Kara. This may lead to the 2's changing sides, they always believed that Kara was the answer and to find that that is wrong could devastate them.

Laura Roslin, I expected a break in her. She has little time remaining and finally thought she got her people to a home just to find it destroyed. I am hoping that Adama's speech at the end of the episode starts to bring her around.

Now both the Adama's gave great speeches. Lee's speech in the Quorum seemed to be great, he was able to positively spin this whole 'Earth sucks' issue. He does exactly what his family is meant to do, lead and provide hope. The same could be said for Bill Adama's speech to the fleet at the end of the episode. The Adama's are what keep the fleet going, they give us hope when we thought it was all gone.

Overall it was a great beginning to the end.

Edited on 01/16/2009 9:33pm

Idbeolderifiwas

[20]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 20
    To me the biggest mind frak of the episode was Kara finding her own dead body. Other than that, I agree with what others have said. I'm glad they got past Earth so quickly and we can now move on to the rest of the questions left unanswered. One that I'm particularly interested in is whether they will find a place to live or not. Will they be left perpetually flying through Space looking for a home, or what? I'm not sure what to expect but I'm excited to find out.