Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Discussion-"Taking a Break from All Your Worries" (1/28/07) (spoilers)

123home123

[1]Jan 22, 2007
    • level: 55
    The previews show that Kara and Lee's feelings for each other haven't diminished, despite their talk on the algae planet about being "trapped." Anders tells Kara that she should go to Lee if that's whom she really loves. Kara discusses her possible divorce with Lee.

The title of the episode comes from the theme song of the 80s hit series "Cheers". According to David Eick's video blog, a bar similar to Cheers will be featured in this episode. Not to worry -- I don't think everyone is going to get up and shout "Chief!" every time Tyrol walks in. (That's a "Norm!" reference for those of you who are unfamiliar with Cheers.) No Bah-stan accents either.

The episode is also supposed to focus on Baltar, who is now back onboard the Galactica. We still don't know if he is a Cylon. Neither does he.

NOTE-The next episode after this one won't air until February 11, a 2-week wait. This is because Sci Fi knows it would be ratings suicide to air a new episode during primetime on Super Bowl Sunday (Feb. 4).
    Edited on 01/23/2007 12:17pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MichaudMR

[2]Jan 22, 2007
    • level: 17

More speculation than spoiler.

I think Dee will be the one doing the "dumping".  My read on the look on her face at the end of Rapture is that she's had it up to the teeth with Lee, Kara, and the whole situation. 

Dee has shown more patiance and dedication to her marrage than Lee has a right to expect, but there is a limit.  We observed that limit when Lee asked his wife to rescue his girlfriend (you just have to love that slap upside the head Dee gave Kara), and we saw him staring at a tellingly small wedding ring in the trailer for this episode.    

Rocket_Man141

[3]Jan 23, 2007

123home123 wrote:
    NOTE-The next episode after this one won't air until February 11, a 2-week wait. This is because Sci Fi knows it would be ratings suicide to air a new episode during primetime on Super Bowl Sunday (Feb. 4).

Why, how many viewers does the Super Bowl actually draw?

peprmpati

[4]Jan 23, 2007
    • level: 10
    Rocket_Man141 wrote:

123home123 wrote:

More people than watch BSG in a course of a week.  For BSG if it was a strong show for network TV, then it might have worked. Plus they are trying to improve rating.  Overall I rather wait 2 weeks than, not have the show not return next season.

123home123

[5]Jan 23, 2007
    The Super Bowl broadcast is always the highest rated program on television in the United States every year. The 7 most watched programs since 2000 have been the 7 Super Bowl broadcasts. Last year's Super Bowl broadcast had almost 91 million viewers. Compare that to the 1.5 to 2 million viewers that BSG averages. The Super Bowl even dwarfs powerhouse shows like American Idol, Grey's Anatomy and CSI. They usually get 15 to 33 million viewers. Even the other broadcast networks tend to stay out of the way on Super Bowl Sunday. A few programmers might air something like female-oriented movies but that's about it. Everything else is repeats on Super Bowl Sunday.

If BSG went up against that kind of a juggernaut, it would almost be guaranteed to get a series-record low viewership. It's a no-brainer for Sci Fi to air repeats that week and continue with new episodes the following week.
    Edited on 01/23/2007 7:23am
    Edited 2 total times.

buwitre

[6]Jan 23, 2007
    • level: 4
    123home123 wrote:
    The episode is also supposed to focus on Baltar, who is now back onboard the Galactica. We still don't know if he is a Cylon. Neither does he.

To quote another line from the theme of "Cheers!" :  "Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name"

LOL!

aakeemz

[7]Jan 23, 2007
    • level: 7
    totally agree

123home123

[8]Jan 23, 2007
    Is Anders Sam (Malone)? Both are former professional athletes. Both are involved in love triangles (or is it rectangle in the case of Anders). Both will now be hanging out at a bar. And could both lose their wife/fiancee to another man? (Diane left Sam and it looks like Kara may leave Sam, er, Anders.)

Edward James Olmos is directing the episode. He directed "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" from Season 1, the episode that introduced Ellen Tigh. The tone was a little lighter than usual in that episode, so we could see a light tone in this episode too. I think that's going to happen because of the bar. But it won't be a comedy. This is BSG after all. Someone is going to end up down in the dumps, whether it's Dee and Anders or Kara and Lee. Or all four of them.

Rocket_Man141

[9]Jan 23, 2007
    Im really looking forward to having an episode all about Baltar and his desperation to see if he really is a cylon. We saw how bad he wanted to know at the end of Rapture when D'Anna died. But also I want to see more development in his relatioship with Roslin and Adama. But i've got a question, if Tyrrol hadn't got him off the planet, wouldn't he have died? Its not like he can fly Cylon ships

Libaax

[10]Jan 23, 2007
    • level: 8
    Yeah he would have died, but they are military they know its important to have prisoners you can interrogate. One as weak as Baltar is like a hot meal for them.

I want more Adama and Six next ep or the next. I think Adama has gotten way to0 little airtime story wise the last eps. Dont think Karen and Lee thing taking so much airtime is worth losing him.

Six is always great,weather its the one in Baltar's mind and or the real one that they have as prisoner. I wonder how she feels about Baltar now.

MichaudMR

[11]Jan 24, 2007

Libaax wrote:
    Yeah he would have died, but they are military they know its important to have prisoners you can interrogate. One as weak as Baltar is like a hot meal for them.

This is one of the reasons why they went through all the trouble to safeguard him with the body bag trick.  I suspect we will now see an examination of the ethical issues around interrogating of prisoners.  The Cylons opted for outright torture, and I suspect the Colonials won't treat him gently but will stop short of that.  In many ways a skilled interrogator who employs psychological methods can inflict far more long term harm than just inflicting physical pain.

Either way, the information locked up in his brain has a relatively short shelf life before it's too out of date to be of much use. Bringing up the dilemma of just how far you can or should go to save lives on your own side?

buwitre

[12]Jan 24, 2007
    I think they might have their way with Baltar by threatening to torture Six without letting her die....

Libaax

[13]Jan 24, 2007
    Why he care about her when he dumped her so easily for D'anna?

Plus the Six in his brain would only tell him to not care if he even cared about her. Reminding him she is just one copy of many of her number.

buwitre

[14]Jan 24, 2007
    Because he doesn't have any D'ana Biers to persuade him too. He dumped the Six in his head too on board the Pegasus when he was with a live Six (the one known as Gina who permanently died when she exploded Cloud 9 far from any Resurrection ship) suffering torture.

Don't get me wrong. I think Baltar's sense of self preservation and narcisism is obvious. But if no other opportunities arise, and given the nudge towards selflessness, he can surprise. Mwahahah. Um, that's just me speculation.

Libaax

[15]Jan 24, 2007
    Gina was interesting and a novelty to him i think only cause she was the first Six he saw in flesh and blood since Caprica.

Dont think he cares about this Six as much as he does for himself.

lopktitanic

[16]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 5
    I think this episode will be really good. I love Kara/Lee episodes.

koorong76

[17]Jan 24, 2007
    Rocket_Man141 wrote:

123home123 wrote:

NO ONE ever dares (or should even consider) going up against the Super Bowl.

Big boon for the networks in big $$$ from ads and commercials, though!

koorong76

[18]Jan 24, 2007
    Can someone remind me, is it CAPRICA six that helped them escape and ended up on Galactica?

I've been watching old episodes in a jumbled fashion, trying to catch up, and now a bit mixed up

Libaax

[19]Jan 24, 2007
    Seeing as how she was with Baltar, she is Caprica Six.

I wonder how she feels about him now after he betrayed her, still likes him or she doesnt care about him anymore and might even hate him.

One thing i wonder that maybe someone can help me with.

About the uploading thing when they came back to life, if Caprica Six uploaded her data when she died back in Caprica does that mean every Six likes Baltar?

Does the other Six's get upgraded even if they arent in a mothership? That cant be since Gina didnt know Baltar when he first met her.

123home123

[20]Jan 24, 2007
    There are differences among copies of a different model, despite the shared experiences. Athena remembers Boomer's experiences with the Chief and yet she is truly in love with Helo only. Those memories can still affect her though.